• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Shawnee PA

Rugzyschick

Reaction score
So the more research I do, the more the wheels start turnin in my head. Originally I was dead set on buying a timeshare at Myrtle Beach...and then I found this forum. The MF's for Myrtle property is horrid. So now...I am thinking hey I live in central PA....Wyndham owns Shawnee (which is like a 2 1/2 - 3 hr drive away). Am I correct in assuming buying a timeshare (resale) at Shawnee (with relatively lower MF's) I would also get yearly points and thus would hook me up into the Wyndham point system, therefore allowing me to stay at ANY Wyndham by trading my week? And then the added option to use points for non-wnydham places thru RCI?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
So the more research I do, the more the wheels start turnin in my head. Originally I was dead set on buying a timeshare at Myrtle Beach...and then I found this forum. The MF's for Myrtle property is horrid. So now...I am thinking hey I live in central PA....Wyndham owns Shawnee (which is like a 2 1/2 - 3 hr drive away). Am I correct in assuming buying a timeshare (resale) at Shawnee (with relatively lower MF's) I would also get yearly points and thus would hook me up into the Wyndham point system, therefore allowing me to stay at ANY Wyndham by trading my week? And then the added option to use points for non-wnydham places thru RCI?

thats correct,

There are two reasons to buy one points deeded at one resort (or club Wyndham Access) over another. one is that you get Advanced Reservation Priority at your home resort, and the second is maintenance fees.

so if you dont have a need for ARP at any resort, shop for the available contract with best maintenance fees at the best price.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you already have Wyndham points, you may want to go stay there and look at the units. There are a number of HOAs at Wyndham Shawnee Village. Some HOA units are in better shape then others. If Shawnee Village is it, then you may want to factor this in also.

shorts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Points
Morritts Tortuga Club (9 wks) Grand Cayman
I don’t know a lot about Shawnee, but if the resort still has weeks that are not enrolled in Wyndham points, do not buy those. You must buy weeks that are already in Wyndham points whether they are UDI or converted fixed weeks. If you don’t understand the difference in these terms, you should do more research here in the Wyndham forum before purchasing anything.

Good luck!

Rugzyschick

Reaction score
thats correct,

There are two reasons to buy one points deeded at one resort (or club Wyndham Access) over another. one is that you get Advanced Reservation Priority at your home resort, and the second is maintenance fees.

so if you dont have a need for ARP at any resort, shop for the available contract with best maintenance fees at the best price.

So would it be better to buy a week (fixed or floating) or to buy the points at that location? Because I see both in the resale market. I'm a little confused on this whole point system thing. I see sales for fixed weeks for a certain price, 2BR and then I see sales for X amount of points, and unit/BR states varying. I was under the assumption that if you bought a week at an establishment the points came with in a yearly amount decided by the unit size, location, season etc.

Rugzyschick

Reaction score
I don’t know a lot about Shawnee, but if the resort still has weeks that are not enrolled in Wyndham points, do not buy those. You must buy weeks that are already in Wyndham points whether they are UDI or converted fixed weeks. If you don’t understand the difference in these terms, you should do more research here in the Wyndham forum before purchasing anything.

Good luck!

Yes still confused on the concept, plan on doing more research and asking lots more questions LOL. So when looking at the resales if you get the weeks (fixed or floating) AND points, both will be stated in the description correct?

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
A number of the Shawnee Mountain HOAs pre-date the current Wyndham point system in one form or another. Staying with the Wyndham Shawnee Village system is the best way to go. This normally means going with a interval that is all ready associated with the Wyndham Club Plus points system.

As it relates to timeshare descriptions on e-bay or elsewhere, it depends on who wrote the description.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
When you buy a fixed or float week that is what you get, unit size and date or dates in the case of float weeks. When you buy Club Wyndham Select points at a specific resort that is your home resort and you can make reservations at 13 months out there and 10 months out at other resorts. The unit size you book wherever you stay depends on what is available to book and what you have enough points to book. From what I saw when I just looked at the availability at Shawnee it doesn't look like it would be necessary to own there if you think you will likely be booking mainly long weekends or last minute stays at the Shawnee resort.

I would take a look at the thread at the top of the Wyndham page to see what maintenance fees at the different resorts run. I consider anything under $5 excellent and even a little over $5 per thousand very good. I looked on that thread but didn't see Shawnee listed. In other threads and posts I've laid out the numbers about how much maintenance fees do matter over the course of the years you own. Many of us recommend owning where the maintenance fees are low if you don't have a must go to every year resort that has higher maintenance fees. Some people choose to own at resorts with higher maintenance fees because every year or even every other year they need specific high demand weeks at those resorts and larger units too so need the ARP, the 13 month advance reservation priority, owning at that resort gives them. I personally am not a fan of Club Wyndham Access points because the maintenance fees are higher than I like and that adds up when you own a lot of points like many of us do.

Last edited:

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
To go back to the original reason for not choosing Myrtle Beach, not all Myrtle Beach HOAs have particularly high MFs. I own at three different HOAs in MB, and the MFs (not including program fee) are $6.39/k, $5.80/k, and $4.67/k. And then they have reciprocal ARP among the other MB resorts. So it really depends on what you want to do - did you originally want to own at MB to go to the beach during peak summer weeks? Because that would be more difficult if you own elsewhere. But if you just want to sample a lot of what Wyndham has to offer and you've found a lower MF option closer to your home, that would work fine for that purpose (assuming it's in the points system and not an unconverted fixed week).

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you buy a fixed or float week that is what you get, unit size and date or dates in the case of float weeks. When you buy Club Wyndham Select points at a specific resort that is your home resort and you can make reservations at 13 months out there and 10 months out at other resorts. The unit size you book wherever you stay depends on what is available to book and what you have enough points to book. From what I saw when I just looked at the availability at Shawnee it doesn't look like it would be necessary to own there if you think you will likely be booking mainly long weekends or last minute stays at the Shawnee resort.

I would take a look at the thread at the top of the Wyndham page to see what maintenance fees at the different resorts run. I consider anything under $5 excellent and even a little over $5 per thousand very good. I looked on that thread but didn't see Shawnee listed. In other threads and posts I've laid out the numbers about how much maintenance fees do matter over the course of the years you own. Many of us recommend owning where the maintenance fees are low if you don't have a must go to every year resort that has higher maintenance fees. Some people choose to own at resorts with higher maintenance fees because every year or even every other year they need specific high demand weeks at those resorts and larger units too so need the ARP, the 13 month advance reservation priority, owning at that resort gives them. I personally am not a fan of Club Wyndham Access points because the maintenance fees are higher than I like and that adds up when you own a lot of points like many of us do.
The is a shawnee village,168,000 points on ebay MFs $3.75/1000

Sent from my LGLK430 using Tapatalk

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
What HOA? Crestview, Ridge Top, etc.

If it is the one I am seeing the "approximate" MF are about 4.58/1000. They show a smattering of photographs from various HOAs. I own Crestview, and the MF are higher than the quoted ones, so I think you can eliminate Crestview. :)

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own several converted fixed weeks at Shawnee ... F/Ws units all have the same MFs per week interval. If converted to points, you keep the MFs the same but the POINTS are based on seasonal value of the underlying week. Christmas/NYE might get you 166K Wyndham points but offseason the same unit might get you 60K in points....same MF costs. And points fees on the interval are based on number of points.

There are only a few 1bdr units in Fairview section. Almost all the 2bdr units are 2 floor townhouse style units .. 2 or 2.5 baths with washer & dryers ... most with a screened in porch. Also, most are duplex buildings. Buildings in a tree setting with a fireplace.

The resorts MFs are low ... considering there is an indoor pool and activities center ... under $700 per year.

5 HOAs have been managed for years by the owners except Crestview .. the Wyndham ONLY points HOA. Plus there are many timeshare units covering the cost of the resort features.... 2 outdoor pools, indoor activities center (with indoor pool) and planned activities with staff like the outdoor campfires.

Shawnee is a bit different than other Wyndham resorts ... spread over ACRES of ground, LARGE community center, older active owner base and large activities staff with many options.

In my opinion ... the locale looks like the Dirty Dancing movie, group activities many regulars attend but the guests are more NYC today than 1960's upper income summer vacationers at the summer ONLY resort.

PS Original Shawnee deeds include 2 fixed weeks .. one PRIME and one offseason .. usually, in the same unit. It was very effective for keeping the offseason weeks' MFs paid and USED ... plus many owners enjoyed their 2 weeks.