• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Shearwater Advise Please...

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I need some advice from those who own at or have stayed at Wyndham Shearwater and are knowledgeable about the units/layout. We have a 2/2 Presidential Oceanview booked for our upcoming trip to Oahu and Kauai. Since booking, I’ve found out that Shearwater has no elevators. My wife is confined to a wheelchair, thus the dilemma. Does anyone know if any of the Presidential units are on the first floor or are wheelchair accessible? Are some first floor units accessible? Does anyone have any suggestions/advice? I will be calling the Shearwater to discuss, but hope to have some expert questions to ask them. Thanks in advance for any advice!!

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Aloha,
We own there but are not Wyndham.
I believe there are two accessible units on the ground floor. We stayed in one once because of the check in date. Call them and ask. Assuming one matches your check in day of week, they may be able to accommodate even if already reserved by an owner by offering the owner your presidential unit or some other arrangement.
BTW they are in the older wing which has great ocean views. We own ground floor and always stay in the older wing.
Jack

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Aloha,
We own there but are not Wyndham.
I believe there are two accessible units on the ground floor. We stayed in one once because of the check in date. Call them and ask. Assuming one matches your check in day of week, they may be able to accommodate even if already reserved by an owner by offering the owner your presidential unit or some other arrangement.
BTW they are in the older wing which has great ocean views. We own ground floor and always stay in the older wing.
Jack
Thanks!! Really appreciate your comments! I will be calling them later today to request one of the ADA units. Or at least ground floor.

vice

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shearwater wasn't developed by Wyndham and there isn't a difference in furnishings, finishes, and size like most Wyndham resorts that distinguish between presidential and regular. Many of the Shearwater units distinguished as presidential will have cathedral ceilings but that is about it. I would argue that nearly all of the units have some of the best ocean views in the world, with a few around the pool and one on the very corner of the 3rd building facing the golf course being the exception. I would say those views are still good, just not dominated by the ocean and cliffs like the others.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I need some advice from those who own at or have stayed at Wyndham Shearwater and are knowledgeable about the units/layout. We have a 2/2 Presidential Oceanview booked for our upcoming trip to Oahu and Kauai. Since booking, I’ve found out that Shearwater has no elevators. My wife is confined to a wheelchair, thus the dilemma. Does anyone know if any of the Presidential units are on the first floor or are wheelchair accessible? Are some first floor units accessible? Does anyone have any suggestions/advice? I will be calling the Shearwater to discuss, but hope to have some expert questions to ask them. Thanks in advance for any advice!!
The presidential units are TOP floors requiring more points. Book the lower floors for lowest # of points, then call and request an accessible unit. There are at least two that are wheelchair accessible: 107 and 101 are definitely accessible. I know there is at least one more. No point burning off extra points for a top floor, when that isn't going to work.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The presidential units are TOP floors requiring more points. Book the lower floors for lowest # of points, then call and request an accessible unit. There are at least two that are wheelchair accessible: 107 and 101 are definitely accessible. I know there is at least one more. No point burning off extra points for a top floor, when that isn't going to work.
Thanks! I was hoping to hear from you because I know how much you like Shearwater. I talked to the resort and they said the same thing, so I booked a lower floor 2/2 and canceled the Presidential. Per the units 107 and 101 you mentioned, do they have relatively good views? We will always take any ADA available, view always trumped by our necessity, but we would like to get the best possible. One last question... We have booked ADA rooms and then at check in been told that they were not available. Are most first floor units easily accessible for a wheelchair? We can get by (very difficult) without grab bars or roll-in shower, but can’t live with stairs or multiple (more than 4-5) steps.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
101’s view is better than 107 but both are great. BTW, Shearwater swimming pool also has a handicap lift in case it’s needed. Enjoy your stay!

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
101’s view is better than 107 but both are great. BTW, Shearwater swimming pool also has a handicap lift in case it’s needed. Enjoy your stay!
Thanks!! Hopefully we can confirm one of those two rooms.

Mary W

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Shearwater. My handouts show that the ADA units are 101 and 102. These are right next to each other in the first building, with reserved handicapped parking spaces in front of both units. Unit 101 is at the end of the building with a grassy area to the side. Both units have beautiful views of the ocean. Also both units are Friday check-ins. The only other Friday check-in for a garden view (ground floor unit) is 103.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We own at Shearwater. My handouts show that the ADA units are 101 and 102. These are right next to each other in the first building, with reserved handicapped parking spaces in front of both units. Unit 101 is at the end of the building with a grassy area to the side. Both units have beautiful views of the ocean. Also both units are Friday check-ins. The only other Friday check-in for a garden view (ground floor unit) is 103.
Thanks!!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Try to get 101. It's a great unit with an extra window in the dining room because it's on the end.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I will call them and ask for 101. From past experience we haven’t had good luck unless there was an accessible unit available when we reserved, but we can generally (with our walker and a lot of lifting) make do with a non ADA as long as there is room to maneuver the wheelchair in the condo. Stairs are a deal breaker. I did notice that there is a 2/2 Accessible at Bali Hai the same dates. Would it be a major downgrade to grab that one and give up the Shearwater? Looking at the points difference it seems like it would be a major downgrade.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Shearwater is the best if you care for the views. There are many first floor units so I’m sure you should be able to get one if you request early.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
If you're trying to get a top floor assignment, what day of the week is best to check in? I mean, assuming you're going with RCI.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you come as an RCI exchanger, you should be happy not to be assigned in the dreaded #106 which has a Thur check-in. Shearwater owners reserve their specific unit one year in advance. It’s highly unlikely (but not impossible) you will be given a top floor unit. That being said, Sat checked-in has the least % of 1st floor units.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
First floor units are about all we get. Some of the walkways to the lower level units have stairs going down, like 108, but there is a wheelchair ramp off to the side, if you look for it. I think all of the 1st floor units have accessible walkways into the units.

I would NEVER take Bali Hai over Shearwater for accessibility. The units on the interior have wide doorways and wide walkways. I would always take Shearwater over Bali Hai.

We usually get an accessible unit as exchangers. We ask to be moved, just as soon as they can get us into a different unit because those have open showers and some other things I didn't like. I cannot remember. Anyway, what that means to me is that no one wants the accessible units. The owners obviously don't like those units with the accessible stuff.

The remodel on Shearwater is gorgeous.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for all the advice everyone! What is the dreaded 106? Parking lot/dumpster view? We have a Friday check in, not an exchanger....

SmileLynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai, KBV, & Ka Eo Kai
We stayed in 206, the upstairs unit. It was easier for our guest to climb instead of 3rd floor. Anyway, as you can see in the diagram, it's right next to the clubhouse. The Lani overlooks the pool & hot tub, but can still see the ocean. During the day you can hear the pool pump but shuts off at night. Under the clubhouse, but viewed from 106 is a storage garage which maintenance & housekeeping uses. At night you can still hear the waves crashing. Our friends loved the unit & enjoyed the views for their 1st visit. We had just moved from the 3bedroom presidential so it was quite different. As a bonus, the end unit has an additional window by the table with a mountain view. I'll look for the pics. We were just there in May.

SmileLynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai, KBV, & Ka Eo Kai
Above pics were taken from 206, but similar for 106. Same footprint. If you don't look at the mountains from the table, then you see the garage & dumpster edge. And grills with amazing good smells. Never did notice a smell from the dumpster area. Also, can't access the pool area from the Lani. Have to take the long way around, but doable.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks everyone!!!

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Everything is relative. Because rest of the units at Shearwater are so awesome, 106 just pale in comparison. It still has a decent view, just not as nice as the rest...

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am really looking forward to Kauai and Shearwater. Hope the weather is good. I have been known to look like a clown getting my wife in and out of the car in the rain!!

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
We were in unit 201 (same view as 101) in early June mostly because of Rickandcindy's recommendation. It was an awesome view and an awesome breeze coming in off the ocean. Best spot on the island.

Bob