• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham/Shell exchange provider switch from II to RCI

Nick Kef

TUG Member
Reaction score
New to TUG and this is my first post....need some help, please and thanks!

Joined this community to get some advice on the recent Wyndham/Shell external exchange provider switch from Interval to RCI. We are points owners with SVC and used II primarily for the getaway program and traded points for a couple of vacations per year. My initial experience with RCI is that the inventory is limited compared to II and quality of trades and properties are generally on the lower side.

I tried calling II and they want nothing to do with Shell/Wyndham but are honoring the II account until the end of 2019 - kind of sort of. ie. II gateaway sales like today's mystery sale is not available when I actually log into my account, but does appear on the website prior to logging in.

I guess my question is, how can I maintain or get access to the II getaway program other than going out and buying a new TS that is affiliated with II.

Thanks in advance!
Nick Kef

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you didn't have a corporate account and you sold your week, II would never know and would continue to let you be a member if you paid. Since you did have a corporate account and they now know you don't own an II eligible week they may not let you join paying your own membership fee directly. They might. This might be something you should contact the TUG interval rep, Mark, to see if he knows of a provision that would allow you to sign up now that you are losing your II account.

tugmembers@intervalintl.com

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
So why wouldn't you just get a free timeshare to use in II and then join II separately? Timeshares are free on ebay, and there are some really great ones that are absolutely free. I would buy a cheap one, just to stay in II. I have a small one bedroom at Sheraton Broadway Plantation with fees of $427 per year. It's a great trader. Or you could buy a lockoff unit and have two trades.

Shell was destined to go back to RCI, once Wyndham took over. It was just a matter of time. I didn't have anything on deposit with II, so I didn't have to worry about it. II does have fees for joining.

Nick Kef

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you didn't have a corporate account and you sold your week, II would never know and would continue to let you be a member if you paid. Since you did have a corporate account and they now know you don't own an II eligible week they may not let you join paying your own membership fee directly. They might. This might be something you should contact the TUG interval rep, Mark, to see if he knows of a provision that would allow you to sign up now that you are losing your II account.

tugmembers@intervalintl.com

Thanks for the feedback @tschwa2, after speaking with the interval folks, they told me that I couldn't maintain the II membership, even if I was willing to pay the membership fee. I appreciate the year to use up my remaining banked points, but find it odd that they don't offer they getaway discounts after logging into my account. I guess I'm forced to buy another TS just to remain with II.

Nick Kef

TUG Member
Reaction score
So why wouldn't you just get a free timeshare to use in II and then join II separately? Timeshares are free on ebay, and there are some really great ones that are absolutely free. I would buy a cheap one, just to stay in II. I have a small one bedroom at Sheraton Broadway Plantation with fees of $427 per year. It's a great trader. Or you could buy a lockoff unit and have two trades.

Shell was destined to go back to RCI, once Wyndham took over. It was just a matter of time. I didn't have anything on deposit with II, so I didn't have to worry about it. II does have fees for joining.

Thanks for the feedback @rickandcindy23. I agree that it was odd that Shell continued to use II after the Wyndham acquisition - given Wyndham/RCI relationship. To prevent this from reoccurring, I guess I have to buy a Marriott family TS - given the Marriott/II relationship. I'll look into the Sheraton Broadway Plantation, any other TS' you would recommend?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Sheraton Desert Oasis is a great trader, all of those are lockoff units and become two really good traders. We only own one of those but we own a lot of the SBP, which is Myrtle Beach, and highly recommend SBP to friends. It's a very rentable property, lots of potential in using those for rental purposes, but also in depositing if renting doesn't work out.

I would also recommend Marriott's Willow Ridge, Platinum week, which I book with Marriott directly (via phone call), then pay $80 to lock it off. I deposit both sides to II and just this month I got Marriott's Ocean Club for 8/23-8/30, 1 bed, 2 baths, and with the studio side of the lockoff, just paid to upgrade from studio to one bedroom + exchange fee (I think that was $159). So other people might consider the small studio side a throwaway unit that won't pull much, ongoing searches with my studios have been amazing. And the one bedrooms pull extremely well. I book July weeks at Willow Ridge.

I have considered buying other Marriott weeks, like platinum lock-offs at the Palm Desert properties, but I never have been lucky enough to get one for a good price.

Willow Ridge platinum weeks are very inexpensive. A TUGger recently gave one away on the Bargain Deals forum. I almost took it. But we own two already and one gold (which has decent trading power for May reserved weeks).

Willow Ridge is not rentable. I have never rented it out, even for MF's, but maybe I am not choosing the best venues for renting.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would also add that I was browsing through my folders of purchased timeshares and the associated contracts just a few days ago. I paid something like $1,600 for an EOY SBP lockoff unit about 11 years ago. These units are now free on eBay, so the recession of 2008 hit timeshare a bit late. I thought my SBP would go UP in value, but it's done the opposite. I cannot explain it. Timeshares as resale purchases are bargains, but the devaluation is a travesty for those who paid dearly through the developer.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I agree to either get a SBP or SDO. I know SDO trades in RCI and II. A greater trader and renter. I went the SDO(3wks) route because we are in CA. And like @rickandcindy23 indicated, they can be had for free. EBay has several offerings right now.

Nick Kef

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sheraton Desert Oasis is a great trader, all of those are lockoff units and become two really good traders. We only own one of those but we own a lot of the SBP, which is Myrtle Beach, and highly recommend SBP to friends. It's a very rentable property, lots of potential in using those for rental purposes, but also in depositing if renting doesn't work out.

I would also recommend Marriott's Willow Ridge, Platinum week, which I book with Marriott directly (via phone call), then pay $80 to lock it off. I deposit both sides to II and just this month I got Marriott's Ocean Club for 8/23-8/30, 1 bed, 2 baths, and with the studio side of the lockoff, just paid to upgrade from studio to one bedroom + exchange fee (I think that was $159). So other people might consider the small studio side a throwaway unit that won't pull much, ongoing searches with my studios have been amazing. And the one bedrooms pull extremely well. I book July weeks at Willow Ridge.

I have considered buying other Marriott weeks, like platinum lock-offs at the Palm Desert properties, but I never have been lucky enough to get one for a good price.

Willow Ridge platinum weeks are very inexpensive. A TUGger recently gave one away on the Bargain Deals forum. I almost took it. But we own two already and one gold (which has decent trading power for May reserved weeks).

Willow Ridge is not rentable. I have never rented it out, even for MF's, but maybe I am not choosing the best venues for renting.

Thanks for all the great info @rickandcindy23, so much information to digest!! They don’t make it easy for us, do they?

Nick Kef

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree to either get a SBP or SDO. I know SDO trades in RCI and II. A greater trader and renter. I went the SDO(3wks) route because we are in CA. And like @rickandcindy23 indicated, they can be had for free. EBay has several offerings right now.

Thanks for the feedback @SteelerGal. I’ll take a look on eBay. Cheers