• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Vacation Ownership - Too good to pass?

Dogwoodems

Reaction score
don't do it!!!

We are VIP now and everything they told us WAS and IS a LIE. Trying to get out of the whole Timeshare org. Wyndham especially.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A testimonial buyers should heed

We are VIP now and everything they told us WAS and IS a LIE. Trying to get out of the whole Timeshare org. Wyndham especially.

Thank you for the hands on report - so many still want to believe that VIP is something they "need" when in fact it is an extremely expensive waste of upfront money.

Sorry to hear you fell for the grossly overpriced VIP nonsense. As you may now realize what you paid to get VIP is all gone - it cannot be resold or transferred so you are let with the base points which sell for 5% of retail at their highest level. In many cases Wyndham points "sell" for the cost of the transfer and current fees. Since you are VIP it seems you paid retail so this is a horrendous kick in the teeth now that you want out. I feel so bad for those that are hooked in by Wyndham retail sales who know they are selling a product that loses 95% plus of the price paid on the day your right to rescind for a 100% refund ends. I hope it all works out for you.

JHRizzo

Reaction score
Been a busy newbie, looking at and/or making offers all over the place? Sloooow down! Timeshares, if brought with thought and understanding can be a great way to vacation. Brought using a shotgun approach or anything that looks cheap, will be "brought in haste, repent (and pay for) in leisure".

Please read the "stickies" at the top of the Wyndham forum. Rent a few timeshares and learn the differences in resorts, whereby you can ask questions. If you like Disney and you ever want to exchange into Disney, you must learn that Disney has a regional block on using Orlando area resorts to do that.

Also, it is very easy to exchange into the overbuilt Orlando area even during a holiday season. It will help if you figure out if you plan 10+ months out or last minute (30 days or less) for a vacation. What is your budget for lodging every year for vacations? What size unit would you reserve to meet your vacationing needs?

And there are many more questions, which would help you understand. And ask the questions of us Tuggers about resorts and timesharing in general....

I been watching and reading about timeshares for over two years. I started out after I went to a bluegreen sales pitch two years ago and a Wyndham glacier mountain sales pitch a year ago. Now I have the bug again after we went to the disney world sales pitch this year (Wanted the $100 Gift card). I loved the Disney world vacation and when I heard they go through RCI, I started doing even more research about Wyndham my chosen resort if I should buy! But I still can't figure out what the exchange rate would be to go to disney world. I have a Autistic child so a three bedroom is required and I would need 308,000 points a year for a Wyndham Glacier mountain 3 bedroom deluxe. Now If I bought those points with the home resort being the Desert in Vegas (Trades Gold and away from Orlando lock out) it should trade higher on RCI Right? And would that be enough to trade for a 3 bedroom in the Disney World resort? :whoopie:

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I been watching and reading about timeshares for over two years. I started out after I went to a bluegreen sales pitch two years ago and a Wyndham glacier mountain sales pitch a year ago. Now I have the bug again after we went to the disney world sales pitch this year (Wanted the $100 Gift card). I loved the Disney world vacation and when I heard they go through RCI, I started doing even more research about Wyndham my chosen resort if I should buy! But I still can't figure out what the exchange rate would be to go to disney world. I have a Autistic child so a three bedroom is required and I would need 308,000 points a year for a Wyndham Glacier mountain 3 bedroom deluxe. Now If I bought those points with the home resort being the Desert in Vegas (Trades Gold and away from Orlando lock out) it should trade higher on RCI Right? And would that be enough to trade for a 3 bedroom in the Disney World resort? :whoopie:

Unless I misunderstand your post, you are asking about making an RCI trade using Wyndham points. If that is correct, there are a couple things to clarify. First, when depositing Wyndham points to RCI it makes NO difference where your home resort is because you are just depositing points - they are not specific to your resort. Second, the Wyndham points cost for RCI trades is based on a grid. Seems like everything Disney will be "red" to RCI, so to exchange for a 3 bedroom, you would need to deposit 308,000 Wyndham points to RCI. However, I don't recall ever seeing 3 bedroom Disney units available in RCI, so I'm not sure 3 bedrooms get deposited much for Disney.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems like everything Disney will be "red" to RCI
not true, there are studios and 1br's listed for 121,000 points and 2brs for 189,000 points which is considered HIGH, wheras PRIME is 143,000 points and 224,000 respectively.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Look at Wyndham Bonnet Creek inside the Disney gates with Wyndham's buses to the 4 parks and Downtown Disney. There are a bunch of 3 bdrs - all decorated the same. Your autistic child might do better one resort vs whatever is on the RCI exchange grid (same furniture, same room layout, a pool that they like).
And you already own the points. ;)

JHRizzo

Reaction score
Unless I misunderstand your post, you are asking about making an RCI trade using Wyndham points. If that is correct, there are a couple things to clarify. First, when depositing Wyndham points to RCI it makes NO difference where your home resort is because you are just depositing points - they are not specific to your resort. Second, the Wyndham points cost for RCI trades is based on a grid. Seems like everything Disney will be "red" to RCI, so to exchange for a 3 bedroom, you would need to deposit 308,000 Wyndham points to RCI. However, I don't recall ever seeing 3 bedroom Disney units available in RCI, so I'm not sure 3 bedrooms get deposited much for Disney.

Yes I was talking a exchange into RCI and out of RCI into DVC. I believe I read that if I have a home resort in the orlando area, I would be locked out of DVC on RCI. That's why I was intrested in the Vegas Desert grand plus it seems to have lower maintance cost.

JHRizzo

Reaction score
Look at Wyndham Bonnet Creek inside the Disney gates with Wyndham's buses to the 4 parks and Downtown Disney. There are a bunch of 3 bdrs - all decorated the same. Your autistic child might do better one resort vs whatever is on the RCI exchange grid (same furniture, same room layout, a pool that they like).
And you already own the points. ;)

We thought we could use bonnet creek once in a while. It won't matter where we go with him once we are on road he has a hard time dealing with things.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I was talking a exchange into RCI and out of RCI into DVC. I believe I read that if I have a home resort in the orlando area, I would be locked out of DVC on RCI. That's why I was intrested in the Vegas Desert grand plus it seems to have lower maintance cost.

With every exchange is the $179/199 exchange fee and the additional $95 DVC resort fee that only exchangers pay. That is almost $300 added onto the MFs for the Wyndham points. And you have to be very lucky to get those offseason exchanges into where-ever the few Disney 3bdrs are offered on RCI.

With owning Wyndham points (APR @ BC might be a great option if that is your family's #1 preference), any points get you a booking window of 10 months. APR is 13 months. All the better to plan for Xmas or summer vacations. Plus, if you change your plans 15 or more days in advance, you can cancelled your vacation and rebook using those cancelled reservation points (not good basic for ARP reservations). Less work in my opinion; 10 or 13 months out from checkin vs several months of checking for a deposit of DVC into RCI.

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.

this is all you need to know about Wyndham..

when you play with snakes you will get bitten. not if, WHEN.. :mad:

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score

You did read about a regional block on Orlando resorts, but my understanding is that this block is not applicable to your home resort with Wyndham since your Wyndham points when deposited with RCI are not specific or tied to your home resort.

JHRizzo

Reaction score
You did read about a regional block on Orlando resorts, but my understanding is that this block is not applicable to your home resort with Wyndham since your Wyndham points when deposited with RCI are not specific or tied to your home resort.

Thank you! I thought I read that RCI did lock you out if your home resort wasin Orlando. I guess I should then look for a cheapest mf's.

got4boys

TUG Member
Reaction score

3 Bedrooms are tough to get through trading in RCI for Disney Vacation Club. I have not seen one through RCI yet. They are even tough to get as a Disney Vacation Club member.

Peggy

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
3 Bedrooms are tough to get through trading in RCI for Disney Vacation Club. I have not seen one through RCI yet. They are even tough to get as a Disney Vacation Club member.

Peggy

Very true. Extremely rare to see a 3 bedroom DVC in RCI. Most DVC members book the 3 bedrooms at their 11 month window to be able to stay in them.

If they needed a 3 bedroom DVC consistently, I would think about owning some Disney Saratoga Springs resort points. Disney's Saratoga resort has 3 bedroom treehouse villas (never show up in RCI) and when you book them with DVC points they are the same point structure as a 2 bedroom DVC.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndam Smoky Mountains is less expensive than Fairfield Glade.

Depends on the original underlying fixed week - I think.

Anyway most people here consider a purchase price of less that $5 per 1000 fairshare points a "good" deal. That is 200 points per dollar - just divide the number of points you will get by the MF needed to get them.

If the result is under 200 = not so good, but if it is over 200 it is a "good" deal (at least on paper):cheer:

other factors may well be in play :doh:

Rick