• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

You’ve been Bonvoyed...

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
I love Marriott Hotels, Timeshare properties, credit cards and it's loyalty program (don't care what the name is). Stayed over 100 nights last year and will do again this year. Use for leisure travel as our 2nd home and business stays. Thank you Marriott!

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
Count me in also as a big lover of all things Marriott, be they hotels, timeshares, whatever, I have loved them all. And I don't even OWN a Marriott timeshare but have stayed in tons of their hotels and oh so many of their timeshares. I have almost 1,300 nights, and would have tones more but didn't join their rewards program til 2011. Had done many Marriott timeshare exchanges for years and never put my rewards number on the exchanges til about 4 years ago :oops:. Didn't know you could get nights credit for exchanges til then. I am Lifetime Titanium so it doesn't make any difference now.
So far I have not been bonvoyed.

Last edited:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
MARRIOTT’S LOYALTY PROGRAM IS SO BAD, “BONVOY” IS A DEROGATORY VERB
Personally, I have not stayed at a Marriott property yet this year so no first hand experience. Love to hear Tuggers stories :)
I've loved my Marriott stays the year - both MVCI and 'normal'. It was last year that I was 'Bonvoy-ed'. First by it literally taking hours on the phone to deal with 5 night air+hotel packages. Second by having one of the reps be so clueless that she 'lost' one of my reservations - she cancelled it before she realized she didn't know how to upgrade my cert and attach it to the reservation...by the time she got someone else to help her deal with the cert the availability for a points stay had disappeared.

I suppose I've also been bonvoy-ed this year by the change in policy on certs (no more upgrades), the increase in price of many hotels, and the hefty increase in the price of the 5 night certs - making them so more expensive than a 5 night points stay that they are no longer worthwhile.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Sounds like Bonboy has made quite a few mistakes.

mjkkb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
We too love Marriott, own one MVC week and my wife travels extensively for work, always stays at Marriott's. I think we got Bonvoy-ed recently when suddenly a rouge reservation appeared on her account for a european Marriott, checkin Mar 8th. She has discovered this the following day Mar 9th. She never made this reservation and neither have I. It took an hour on the phone to straighten it out. The rep was clueless and was suggesting that she should secure her MR account with a PIN (as if someone has made this reservation using her account like maybe our kids etc...). We both believe it was a system glitch related to the Bonvoy changeover that created this reservation on its own.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK - first impressions. On 2/13, I checked into a Fairfield in Virginia. Welcomed as a Bonvoy member on the first official day of Bonvoy. I had been upgraded 3 previous times to a suite. Despite the place being less than 1/2 full, I was informed that no upgrades were available. To top that off, I had to apply for the night credit 3 weeks later. First time in my life that the credit did not appear automatically. Then on February 23, I stayed in Rochester, NY. That credit showed up on March 8. On February 26, I tried to make an internet reservation for Dover, DE. Three times I was rejected on the website. I called the 800 number. The CS said that she was having computer problems and she could not complete the reservation. I called the hotel direct and got a reservation. Crazy thing about that - the night and points credit showed up in 2 days. Go figure. The merger might benefit Arne Sorenson, but it hasn't benefited me. :mad:

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
Think and hope it’s growing pains like all mergers cause I ❤️Marriott

vikingsholm

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott rocks. No problems so far.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
MARRIOTT’S LOYALTY PROGRAM IS SO BAD, “BONVOY” IS A DEROGATORY VERB
Personally, I have not stayed at a Marriott property yet this year so no first hand experience. Love to hear Tuggers stories :)

Interesting article written by a freelance travel writer who is looking to stir up "interest" or negative feelings about a hot subject in order to get some attention. Show me any loyalty program that doesn't have its detractors and fanatics?
All of these programs, be it shopping loyalty, travel loyalty, restaurant loyalty, etc. are only as good as the members' most recent encounter/ experience. As a loyal Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts customer, it sucked when they "devalued" their rewards programs to be based on $$ spent vs. visits and increased the amounts needed in order to earn free rewards. How many times has my app NOT worked or not been accepted at a particular outlet and thus didn't get credit for that purchase? How many CVS extra bucks cash register receipts have I tried to keep and use, only to find out I lost the receipt or they expired? These issues happen with every type of loyalty program. What can you do and what is worth your time doing? If the company makes a reasonable effort to make it right or fix it for the future you will come back again. If not, then you will go elsewhere as there are many choices. True, some of us are very VESTED in Marriott through MVC ownership and its not as easy or lucrative to just start staying at Hiltons or other brands, but those options are available to us.
I currently have at least 20 nights of Marriott stays booked for this year. Might there be problems with getting upgrades or free breakfasts or even credits for some of the stays...maybe? But I do know that the
accommodations will be excellent and if there are issues, Marriott will try their best to fix them and make things right. If I'm "bonvoyed" I will deal with it, but I won't feel compelled to let the world know about it through online postings.
BonVoy-age to all!
Brian

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If the company makes a reasonable effort to make it right or fix it for the future you will come back again. If not, then you will go elsewhere as there are many choices. True, some of us are very VESTED in Marriott through MVC ownership and its not as easy or lucrative to just start staying at Hiltons or other brands, but those options are available to us...But I do know that the accommodations will be excellent and if there are issues, Marriott will try their best to fix them and make things right.
What is unique is how mind numbingly out of touch with his customers Mr. Sorenson seems to be. I am a more or less happy Marriott customer on both the hotel and timeshare side and can't count the number of times individual Marriott employees have made my experience special or gone out of their way to right any wrongs. But they (and I) have recently found ourselves impeded by corporate directives that make absolutely no sense - even from a profit perspective. Why on god's green earth would you no longer allow people to 'pay' more points to upgrade their certificates? Or make your best customers wait longer for service than any random person off the street?

Instead, Mr. Sorenson seems to regard all the difficulties his customers have faced as a failure of PR - if only his press was more favorable it wouldn't be an issue.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
The Bonvoy Rebellion is Here
By Jeff Edwards/ Marriott Bonvoy/ Flyertalk/ flyertalk.com

"Former Marriott Rewards members have started a campaign to shame the hotel conglomerate over real and perceived slights following the integration with the Starwood Preferred Guest loyalty program and the formation of the new Bonvoy rewards program. Disgruntled elite travelers have even created a “bonvoyed” website to allow unhappy guests with status to air their many grievances.

Marriott International’s acquisition of Starwood Hotels and Resorts hasn’t exactly gone off without a hitch. Now, some of the hospitality giant’s most loyal customers are going to great lengths to get the company’s attention.

In recent months, Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) members have quietly suffered the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. The combined loyalty program has left some members feeling cheated out of elite status. The thorny loyalty integration was soon followed by a particularly severe reward redemption and benefits devaluation. To make matters worse, Marriott revealed that its elite guests may have been victims of the largest data breach in history.

Even the name of the combined rewards program, “Bonvoy,” earned a collective ‘meh‘ from weary customers. The number of unhappy Marriott customers has reportedly been a boon to the Hilton Honors program which reports it has won millions of new members, in part, because of Marriott’s woes. Other loyal Marriott customers, however, have vowed to take arms against a sea of troubles.

Skift’s Grant Martin reports that a group of activist Bonvoy members have created a “bonvoyed” campaign to draw attention to their plight. The bonvoyed.com site gives dissatisfied members a public forum to air grievances about everything from long hold times, difficulty using or receiving reward points or seemingly unfixable IT issues. Some users take to the site to simply reminisce about the glory days prior to the Marriott/SPG merger.

Introducing-MarriottBonvoyAsia.com_-1-1000x600.png

Richard

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Marketing 101 ... Protect the brand, do no harm.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Well, I suppose I should fess up.

We've owned our Marriott timeshare since 2004, and the Marriott Rewards program has been the cornerstone of our travels that have taken us on many wonderful trips around the world.

But I am disappointed with how poorly the Starwood merger was handled and with all the Marriott program devaluations we've seen over the years. And I am disappointed that we have lost Starwood as our backup hotel program. SPG points were very valuable, far more valuable than our current stash of Bonvoy points.

So... I've now got a shiny new American Express Hilton Ascend AmEx credit card. We're not abandoning Marriott, but it's time to diversify. We've not used Hilton in the past, but will take a much more careful look at their hotel program going forward.

And what about our Marriott-branded credit cards? I'll use them for paying our Marriott timeshare maintenance fees, and I do bring one along when we stay at a Marriott property. But other than that, they're sitting in a drawer. Bonvoy points just aren't as valuable as the rewards we can earn using other credit cards.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Well, I suppose I should fess up.

We've owned our Marriott timeshare since 2004, and the Marriott Rewards program has been the cornerstone of our travels that have taken us on many wonderful trips around the world.

But I am disappointed with how poorly the Starwood merger was handled and with all the Marriott program devaluations we've seen over the years. And I am disappointed that we have lost Starwood as our backup hotel program. SPG points were very valuable, far more valuable than our current stash of Bonvoy points.

So... I've now got a shiny new American Express Hilton Ascend AmEx credit card. We're not abandoning Marriott, but it's time to diversify. We've not used Hilton in the past, but will take a much more careful look at their hotel program going forward.

And what about our Marriott-branded credit cards? I'll use them for paying our Marriott timeshare maintenance fees, and I do bring one along when we stay at a Marriott property. But other than that, they're sitting in a drawer. Bonvoy points just aren't as valuable as the rewards we can earn using other credit cards.

Glad you’ve “fessed up”. We each have to make our own decisions be it out of disappointment with the product or our own economic reasons.

Frankly, for me to start earning points in another hotel system that I won’t use very often doesn’t really seem worth the steep hill to climb to get enough to earn rewards.

I guess my feelings may change if I’m “Bonvoyed” like others have reported here. In the mean time, I get treated very well whenever I travel with Marriott. If my 25 nights booked in various hotels and timeshares for this year don’t meet my expectations I may reconsider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been BonVoyed I checked in with my United flight for tomorrow and no longer had free carry on luggage with my basic economy fare. Found out from Marriott that only Titanium Elite has United Silver benefit (I'm Platinum). Now it will cost me $300+ for our carry ons

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The one behavior that Bonvoy has changed is that I no longer trade my timeshares in for Bonvoy points as their travel packages are no longer good deals. I used to get ~300K Marriott points each year from my timeshare. The issue that I am now facing is having too many timeshare for my own use, which forces me to look into the rental route.