• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

You Might Be a New Englander If…

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
A4ECC4FF-2F69-4A89-811F-31E2AC59BA3A.jpeg
You Might Be a New Englander If…

“Are you passionate about New England? Take a look at some of the traits and traditions that determine whether you might be a New Englander.”

Yankee Magazine • March 28, 2018

https://newengland.com/today/living/new-england-nostalgia/you-might-be-a-new-englander-if/

“Consider yourself a true New Englander? From chowder rules to the correct way to pronounce “Kancamagus,” this handy list is here to help determine just how Yankee you really are...”

Here’s a few....

“You’d never buy imitation maple syrup.
You might even smuggle a nip of your own pure maple syrup into your favorite breakfast joint to go with your Maine wild blueberry pancakes.”

“You grew up eating Fluffernutters.
Marshmallow Fluff, peanut butter’s other BFF, was invented in Somerville, Massachusetts, back in 1917. The Fluffernutter sandwich was born soon after. You’re welcome, America.”

“You like chocolate jimmies on your ice cream....”

Last edited:

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the article - so true on all accounts - fun read.

My brother was in Germany a few years back, he found strawberry fluff, purchased it and mailed it to us. I laughed when I looked at the jar and told him it was made in Lynn, MA. Postage cost more than my trip to the local grocery store.

I do have a can of B&M brown bread (with raisins) in my pantry sitting next to a can of B&M original baked beans. The only beans my DH will eat.

Didn't even know Bubblahs where called water fountains.

Not in the article - but I know the difference between a little neck, cherrystone or quahog.

As far as the seafood goes - sorry, but clam bellys gross me out and please don't suck the green stuff from a lobster near me, I will gag!

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that bit of colloquiallism. I now know how Yankees felt when Jeff Foxworthy came out with his "ya might be a redneck if...". Clueless. Haha. Fun read.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Pop is another name for dad or father, you can pronounce Worcester, you know what a green is, you know how to drive in snow and you don't go to a package store to buy boxes.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Directions are often given with a Dunkin Donuts as the point of reference, as in "You make a left just past the Dunkin Donuts." You can negotiate a roundabout. (Still working on that...but I'm from Missouri originally!) You have at least 3 pair of win-tah boots....one for mud, one for snow, and one "dressy" pair.

How I love my adopted region!

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pop is another name for dad or father, you can pronounce Worcester, you know what a green is, you know how to drive in snow and you don't go to a package store to buy boxes.

Tony....around here it isn't even a package store. It's a packie. Not sure how many time I have heard, "going on a packie run"

And Missy - we go for "D&D" instead of saying the entire name. Actually, think it is just Dunkin now.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I lived on Cape Cod for three years and could never figure out why the locals were so enamored with drinking a "tonic". Then--finally--I realized that "tonic" is pretty much a catch-all for anything with fizz in it. That one still makes me chuckle.

jl2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove At Yarmouth
I never understood why no one could pronounce Worcester since so many New England towns are named after cities and towns in England. People say Worcestershire sauce all the time... sauce from the Shire of Worcester.. what's the problem and why do they need to add an H???!! We live in New England. Get it? Worcester Worcestershire!

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never understood why no one could pronounce Worcester since so many New England towns are named after cities and towns in England. People say Worcestershire sauce all the time... sauce from the Shire of Worcester.. what's the problem and why do they need to add an H???!! We live in New England. Get it? Worcester Worcestershire!

I think the issue is people try to break it down into 3 syllables Wor.ces.tire and can't get that t out without adding an h. technically is only has 2 syllables worces.ter. Which on some level is even hard to do. Personally, it comes out of my mouth in 1 syllable and sounds like woostah.

Last edited:

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
I've had Moxie from time to time. If I recall correctly, it was often mentioned in Mad Magazine in the mid to late last century. More recent experienced Moxie was in Maine and NH- even liked the diet variety for a while.

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
You liked it??!!

I have HAD it---but I definitely DON'T like it!! haha!

For those who never have had it, it tastes like root beer when you first put it past your lips----but I can't take the aftertaste!!!

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
It's an acquired after taste. o_O I seem to remember the diet as less flavorful.

jl2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove At Yarmouth
I've drinken Moxie recently, and it is very different then what I remember. The manufacturer is using a heck of a LOT less gentian root extract now and definitely changed the formula. That super bitter taste of the gentian root is gone, and it was more sweet and reminiscent of bubble gum. There maybe a slight tickle of that old recipe at the end, but not like it used to be.

SPG900NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've drinken Moxie recently, and it is very different then what I remember. The manufacturer is using a heck of a LOT less gentian root extract now and definitely changed the formula. That super bitter taste of the gentian root is gone, and it was more sweet and reminiscent of bubble gum. There maybe a slight tickle of that old recipe at the end, but not like it used to be.

I used to drink it all the time. The difference in flavor happened when they switched to corn syrup. I don't know if they also messed with the formula at that time to try to counteract the sweetener difference, but it was never the same as when it had sugar. It was a more aggressive taste when I was a kid by far. What a shame. More and more companies are offering sugar versions of their drinks, I think Moxie should do the same if they're not already. Dunno, I haven't looked in a few years.