• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2009] White Sands Waikiki Resort Club

Blackwhat

Reaction score
Best Wishes

Hanalei Bay members:
We wish you all the best. The Celebrity Resort WHITE SANDS Waikiki is NOW CLOSED DUE TO financial problems. The only two board members are executive employees of Celebrity Resorts. Most members have lost their annual fee because they have been denied their right to use the week they paid for. Somewhat of a conflict of interest to say the least when the board consists of employees of the management company. Who controls the purse strings? Celebrity Resorts is not a company to be trusted in my opinion. They seem to sneak in and undermine the intent of fiscally sound management.
Black-what

rachel1998

Reaction score
Well that really sums up the situation we are all in. I am sure Celebrity Resorts must have really hit hard times. They must think that we are all idiots to pay an additional $695.00 for a resort that is closed down. Why would anyone do that?

Blackwhat

Reaction score
How about getting your money back?

The annual dues you paid is still in question if you have not used the week you paid for. Since Celebrity Resorts is in violation of HRS514e you are entitled to get your money back.
Also, based on their web site they say they are doing great even though they have failed to keep the White Sands Resort Club as a working resort. It was forced to close on May 3rd.
I would have to question their ability to manage a resort in a manner owners would expect.
Blackwhat

Last edited:

Blackwhat

Reaction score
Property taxes

Accvording to the Honolulu property tax info on the internet the approximatly $26,000 in property tax bill has been paid. There was an additional penalty of over $1000 due to the failure to pay on time. Whose lack of concern is responsible for that?
Also, the projected budget indicated about $150,000 was projected for property taxes. What property tax burdens of the White Sands would lead to this projection if only $26,000 was needed? This is an oversight that has been going on for years past. As has been the case in many of the past years. As usual, something smells!
Black-what

Blackwhat

Reaction score
Celebrity Management

To date, Celebrity Management has still not provided the financial information to support their proposed budget for 2009 nor their special assessment of $695.
Now that the White Sands Celebrity Resort is no longer taking reservations and Celebrity Management has collected the annual dues of $775 plus the special assessment of $695 from many of the members I would expect an appropriate explanation to the members as to the current status of funds belonging to the association.
Possibly a second letter based on the above to the BB Bureau of Hawaii and Florida might be useful at this time. Also how about the Orlando Sentinal?
Blackwhat

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent an email to Celebrity yesterday asking for status of the resort. I told my father (who owns (owned?)) a unit there, what was reported on TUG - that the resort closed. However I mentioned that I'd think there should be some final closing letter about the resort. The special assessment was a legal bill at the time it was issued. If it's been cancelled, if I was him, I'd want a copy of that.

Jeff

Blackwhat

Reaction score
Leave it to Celebrity

A book should be written on "Unpleasent Time Share Experiences With Celebrity Resorts; and more".
Would that be illegal? I do not know but I do not think there would be any difficulty in providing text for the endeavor.
Any profits would go to a refund of our 2009 dues.
I have to think that Celebrity has forfieted their lease to the Queen Emma Foundation but I don't know this to be a fact. Can someone find out. Meanwhile I will get to work on the book.
Blackwhat

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wondering.....

I noticed on an auction site some units for sale. Why would this happen if it's closed? Maybe these owners haven't heard? :ponder:

Marty

Blackwhat

Reaction score
white sands

Latest word I have is that it is being used for college student housing. Blackwhat

mdahmus

Reaction score
Small Claims Court

Does anybody have any idea what jurisdictions might be available to file a suit in small claims court against Celebrity for the 2009 breach-of-contract? We're out two years' maintenance fees due to the closing of the resort (we had internally 'banked' a week from 2008 as well) and would like to attempt to recover some damages from these people (as unlikely as that might be).

We live in Texas; looks like Celebrity doesn't have any operations here as far as I can tell.

Blackwhat

Reaction score
Jurisdiction for filing suit.

I have thought small claims court might be an avenue to explore. Other than that I know they have offices for billing in Arizona, they obviously do business in Hawaii and Florida. Makes it very difficult to rationalize filing a law suit considering the costs and effort involved. We need an attorney familiar with consumer relations and willing to work on the bases of: he gets paid when we get satisfaction. I am not sure we would win since Celebrity hoodwinked the members by taking over the association due to the inactivity of the other members. How can the members who are scattered all over the world be active when they have to travel thousands of miles to participate? Celebrity simply set themselves up as the board members and made the rules in their favor.
It really is an organization that should have their policies made known to all and be prevented from getting a business license anywhere. Blackwhat

crsalanitro

Reaction score
White Sands Waikiki Delema

Like most of you, I have had the same grips over this tragic event. Being an owner for 24 years, I felt betrayed and left to rot. My relationship with the White Sands over those years has been remarkable, having virtually raised my daughters and grand kids yearly on White Sands property along with their employees becoming long term friends. We utilized this timeshare more than most would have ever thought of doing; and while flying from L.A. was beyond my means for years, I would not have changed a thing. I wrote some very serious letters to Celebrity Resorts over issues much the same as you all did. Cookie was responsive, but cautious. Having esculated my plight to her management, I received evasive replies and played ping pong mail to no evail. When I strip all of the complaints away, there remains two unanswered contractually related issues. 1) my contract states that a premature closure has to have a majority vote by the owners. 2) the term of resort usage was to run through December of 2009. However, as you well know, the reservations desk closed the end of April, 2009. My position is that celebrity resorts owes it's owners a fee rebate for the remainder of the year

Blackwhat

Reaction score
My understanding is that Celebrity Resorts has filed for bankruptcy. They also seem to have organized their assets into Limited Liability corporations (various) which makes it difficult to understand where anyone stands with them. AS much as I would like to see the culprits pay, I do not have the resources to go any further. However I seem to recall a paragraph in our original contract which provided for some sort of insurance against the failure of the contract owner.
Being the contract was sold, I believe twice, since we bought back in 1981 we don't know where we stand in this regard. And again I would not have the resources to follow up.
Blackwhat