• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

anyone who can assist on non resident Maryland tax form?

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
daughter in law lives in Massachusetts, attends Johns Hopkins in Baltimore received a W2 for fellowship and Maryland taxes withheld.
Cannot claim a credit on Mass. form without doing Maryland tax return.
Printed out form 505 Non resident, but it is 18 lines long and starts with asking information from line 31
Perhaps I have to fill out form 515 and then fill out 505
Nothing in instructions regarding this.
tried calling, they will not take calls
emailed the question, no response

SusanRN

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a suggestion.
For over 10 years I have used the software FreeTaxUsa.com to do my taxes. You plug in numbers from your W2 and it fills in everything for you on the tax forms. It will e-file the federal form for you for free, but you don't have to use them if you choose not to.
Once the federal form is complete (but not filed), it will do the same calculations with the Maryland State form(s). She can print out the completed State forms, but they will say "Preview" across them, so she would need to transcribe all of the information onto paper forms herself, but at least she would have all of the correct entries. Or she could pay $14.99 for FreeTaxUSA to e-file it. She would likely receive a written confirmation of acceptance within 24 hours.
I like this software, as I can go back and look at and print copies for any prior year -- actually easier than going to my file cabinet and pulling out a copy to look at!
As a former lawyer who actually *liked* tax matters, I can say I have found this software to be absolutely reliable and very easy. I would imagine other tax services provide this service, but perhaps at a higher cost.
Good luck
Susan
Maryland

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
No charge for Maryland forms? I have completed federal and state with turbo tax, but they will charge to do Maryland.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will need information from your federal return in order to complete your Maryland return

Your Maryland return is due by April 15, 2024. If you are a fiscal year taxpayer, see Instruction 26. If any due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, the return must be filed by the next business day

What Form to file? IF YOU ARE A:

Taxpayer whose permanent home (domicile) is a state other than Maryland, you are a nonresident, unless you are a statutory resident. YOU SHOULD FILE: Form 505 Nonresident Return

Taxpayer who maintains a place of abode (that is, a place to live) for more than six (6) months of the tax year in Maryland and you are physically present in Maryland for 183 days or more, you are a statutory resident. YOU SHOULD FILE: Form 502 Resident Return

Taxpayer who began or ended legal residence in Maryland during the tax year, you must file as a resident for that portion of the year during which you maintained Maryland residence, even if less than six (6) months. YOU SHOULD FILE: Form 502 Resident Return

Nonresident of Maryland but received salary, wages or other compensation for personal services performed in any Maryland county or Baltimore City and you lived in a jurisdiction that imposes a local or earnings tax on Maryland residents.
NOTE: If you have other income subject to Maryland tax, you must also file Form 505. YOU SHOULD FILE: Form 515 Nonresident Local Tax Return

Taxpayer who moved into or out of Maryland during the tax year and received income from Maryland sources while you were a nonresident of Maryland. YOU SHOULD FILE: Form 505 Nonresident Return and Form 502 Resident Return

SusanRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
No charge for Maryland forms? I have completed federal and state with turbo tax, but they will charge to do Maryland.
As I said, $14.99 to e-file the form, but no charge for you to just look at the final product and not file it. That allows you to transcribe the numbers.
Also, FreeTaxUSA website is free online.

Last edited:

SusanRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
daughter in law lives in Massachusetts, attends Johns Hopkins in Baltimore received a W2 for fellowship and Maryland taxes withheld.
Cannot claim a credit on Mass. form without doing Maryland tax return.
Printed out form 505 Non resident, but it is 18 lines long and starts with asking information from line 31
Perhaps I have to fill out form 515 and then fill out 505
Nothing in instructions regarding this.
tried calling, they will not take calls
emailed the question, no response
You say the form is 18 lines long. Did you print all 4 pages? It is numbered thru 54, direct deposit.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
this has been a frustrating day. I printed forms 505 and 515 Now that I have finally finished, I realize I printed the incorrect form 505. Anyhow, I attempted to do form 515, realized it was too confusing, and paid turbo tax for the Maryland form. Then I spend 45 minutes trying to pay turbo tax so I could get the form. The payment page was too large for the computer, and I had to go through a lot of steps to reduce the size, then shut down turbo tax, then go back and put the size back. The next button would not show up on my computer until I reduced it, and I couldn't get off the page.

Within two minutes after I paid, the Maryland 505 was competed, and I could see it was different from the form I had. Anyhow next year I will know how to do the return.
Turbo tax charges $45 per state and $25 more to efile per stat. I am glad I live in Florida

Last edited: