• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Carlsbad California Vacation

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Going to San Diego for a week and then to Carlsbad for a week. We have stayed in San Diego without a car before so we know we can do that. Do we need a car in Carlsbad? What is there to do in and a short distance from the Carlsbad Area outside of going to San Diego which we will be covering the week before.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Downtown Carlsbad is a great place to walk, shop and eat dinner. The Carlsbad outlets are a short distance away as is the beach. Legoland is close by as well.

I own at Grand Pacific Palisades and they have a free shuttle that can take you to/from anywhere within 5 miles of the resort, which includes all of the above. Even if your resort doesn’t have a shuttle it would be relatively cheap to Uber those short distances.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
We liked the Village Faire mall when we stayed at Carlsbad Inn, it's kitty corner across the main drag. Lots of dining choices in the area, we enjoyed the Japanese Ramen place, Indian taste of Himalayan, and a Poke bar. Gelato Love for dessert, I'm a sucker for pistachio gelato!

Depending when you go, there might be horse races at Del Mar, take the coaster train from Poinsettia station.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Going to San Diego for a week and then to Carlsbad for a week. We have stayed in San Diego without a car before so we know we can do that. Do we need a car in Carlsbad? What is there to do in and a short distance from the Carlsbad Area outside of going to San Diego which we will be covering the week before.
Which timeshare are you staying at?

Me? I'd get a car. If for no other reason than it would more easily allow me to visit places like the Wild Animal Park (SD Zoo Safari park), have a lunch with wine at the beautiful Cordiano Winery, perhaps visit the Temecula wineries, see the Palomar observatory, drive to Jakes restaurant for dinner, etc.

I suppose that the train could be used for some coastal excursions.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'm a California girl (even though I don't live there now) and I can't imagine being without a car. We like the ability to go where we want, when we want. With the existence of Uber and Lyft it's not possible in many areas to do just that. But, if we want to take a ride up, or down, the coast, you need a car.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Who is coming and what are your preferences? What are you planning in S.D.? As a local resident, I agree withe prior posts, especially the particular resort you are at. If not in downtown Carlsbad (Carlsbad Inn), you should get a car.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
If you’re at Carlsbad Inn you can walk some but if you’re at Mar Brisa or the other resorts nearby, you will need a car or Uber a lot.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Which timeshare are you staying at?

Me? I'd get a car. If for no other reason than it would more easily allow me to visit places like the Wild Animal Park (SD Zoo Safari park), have a lunch with wine at the beautiful Cordiano Winery, perhaps visit the Temecula wineries, see the Palomar observatory, drive to Jakes restaurant for dinner, etc.

I suppose that the train could be used for some coastal excursions.
We can stay at MarBrisa or Grand Pacific Palisades at this point since we havn't booked yet. RX8 said if staying at the Grand Pacific Palisades there is a shuttle that goes wihin 5 miles of the resort. Is there on at the MarBrisa Resort?

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Downtown Carlsbad is a great place to walk, shop and eat dinner. The Carlsbad outlets are a short distance away as is the beach. Legoland is close by as well.

I own at Grand Pacific Palisades and they have a free shuttle that can take you to/from anywhere within 5 miles of the resort, which includes all of the above. Even if your resort doesn’t have a shuttle it would be relatively cheap to Uber those short distances.
Does the shuttle it go to the village of Carlsbad?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Does the shuttle it go to the village of Carlsbad?
Yes it does. Below are the operating hours for the shuttle (taken from the FAQs from the GPP website).

• Courtesy Shuttle within 5 miles of hotel, Mon-Tues 8am-4:30pm, Wed-Sun 8am-8pm, available upon request
I've used the shuttle before to take us to the village of Carlsbad. It is a minivan.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
The OP asked about things to do in Carlsbad. In no special order, here are some ideas:
  1. walk the path along Batiquitos Lagoon - flat and easy
  2. Leo Carrillo Rancho Historic Park
  3. The Miniature Engineering Craftsmanship Museum
  4. An easy hike: Copper Creek Falls https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/copper-creek-falls-and-mine
  5. San Diego Botanic Garden (in nearby Encinitas)
  6. Shopping (or just window shopping and a chance to get a walk in): Carlsbad Premium Outlets and/or The Forum Carlsbad. There's a Mexican restaurant at the Forum that we like, Casa de Bandini.
  7. Carlsbad has a number of craft breweries

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed at the Carlsbad Inn and Grand Pacific Palisades, a week each. Had a car both times. Went to the Safari Wildlife Park, definitely worth it. You could probably stay at the Carlsbad Inn without a car and use the train. I wouldn't stay at GPP without a car.

macmanrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Costa Sur PV Mexico
We have stayed at the Carlsbad Inn and Grand Pacific Palisades, a week each. Had a car both times. Went to the Safari Wildlife Park, definitely worth it. You could probably stay at the Carlsbad Inn without a car and use the train. I wouldn't stay at GPP without a car.
We took our car and e bikes the safari was great . And we went to many beachs it was so much fun .

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
The OP asked about things to do in Carlsbad. In no special order, here are some ideas:
  1. walk the path along Batiquitos Lagoon - flat and easy
  2. Leo Carrillo Rancho Historic Park
  3. The Miniature Engineering Craftsmanship Museum
  4. An easy hike: Copper Creek Falls https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/copper-creek-falls-and-mine
  5. San Diego Botanic Garden (in nearby Encinitas)
  6. Shopping (or just window shopping and a chance to get a walk in): Carlsbad Premium Outlets and/or The Forum Carlsbad. There's a Mexican restaurant at the Forum that we like, Casa de Bandini.
  7. Carlsbad has a number of craft breweries
These are a bunch of great ideas. I especially like the Engineering Craftsmanship Museum. I realize that is is an old thread. But unless you are a person willing to walk 5 to 15 miles round-trip you really will need a car.