• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Direct exchanges

abc31

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had successful experiences with direct exchange through Tug Classifieds or other sources? What did you have/What did you get?

abc

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Yes, once. I did a direct exchange with another TUG member. Traded our Maui Hill (Maui, HI) unit for her Bay Club (Big Island, HI) unit. Worked great.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I also did a direct exchange with another Tugger and we will be using it on the BI in 2 weeks. I was told a few weeks ago that the-powers-that-be on TUG are working on a better Exchange Forum for TUG.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did a direct exchange. She just came back from our Marriott Aruba and we leave for her Marriott Newport Coast next week. we talked for a year on email. All went smoothly on her end and I'm SURE it'll be fine for us.

We found someone we're exchange with next year in Marriott Marbella Spain IF we get the Marriott aruba week he wants (he already got us our Spain week)

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Direct Exchanges work well

I have direct exchanged my 2 bedroom Banff Rocky Mountain Resort in the summer for a week at the Manhatten Club. Once we agreed about 1.5 years before the trip we just e-mailed occasionally. Almost had a direct exchange of the same week into Orlando but they couldn't get me spring break so it didn't go through. E-mailed with a few others but nothing else has worked on both ends. It's great to avoid exchange fees.

Joan

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you log on to do the direct exchanges -- we have a 2008 Maui week we'd like to exchange for something else.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
How do you log on to do the direct exchanges -- we have a 2008 Maui week we'd like to exchange for something else.

Currently you just list it under the Classified Ads. Scroll down and under "Other TUG Ads" you'll see a link for Direct Exchange.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Has anyone had successful experiences with direct exchange through Tug Classifieds or other sources? What did you have/What did you get?
I've done several direct exchanges with friends and family. None came directly from TUG's Direct Exchange board (although I've tried that route?) -- but several exchanges resulted from friendships formed both here and on the old Trendwest Forum for Worldmark Owners.

In most of the transactions, I've accepted WM credits and given a reservation to someplace I own and could book directly. Now that I think about it, having a WM account is nearly as nice using Paypal or gift cards. Once transferred into my account I can use them when and where I wish (Worldmark, RCI, II, affiliates ... or in yet another trade). How practical! :D

timesharejunkie4

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be doing our 4th direct exchange next May. We have traded Villa del Palmar Cabo unit for Maui and the Big Island and Los Tules in Puerto Vallarta for Kauai. We are trading Villa del Arco in Cabo for Scotland next May. The process has been very easy. We just get each other the confirmation to our respective resorts and away we go!:banana:

Loriannf

TUG Member
Reaction score
WSJ for Harborside

Yes, I finally did manage a direct exchange of my WSJ. Luckily, the person I'm exchanging with wanted one of the weeks I owned, and offered his President's Day week. We thought that might be too cold to swim, and luckily he was able to get a week that was my sister-in-law's family's Spring Break.

Wish us luck, the exchanges happen within one week of each other in April 08.

Lori

abc31

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. It sounds like it is really worth a try. For those of you that have done a direct exchange, did you use some kind of exchange agreement form?

Denise, I'm glad to hear that Tug is working on an even better exchange forum.

Lori, good luck. I hope you enjoy your exchange!

abc

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for the replies. It sounds like it is really worth a try. For those of you that have done a direct exchange, did you use some kind of exchange agreement form?

abc

We made the exchange with a long-time Tugger so we didn't feel like we needed any. We just had each resort send the other party a confirmation in their name and we were done.

andrea t

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been very lucky and very pleased with my TUG direct exchanges. I've traded my DVC for Westin Maui, Marriott Myrtle Beach and for next year, Marriott Barony Beach, Hilton Head. I'm sorry I can not take advantage of all the wonderful opportunities we've been contacted with!

I've never used a contract of any sort. Trust has always been the name of the game.

Calyn79

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too have been very happy with my TUG direct exchanges that I've made. Relatively easy and no cost. I've exchanged into a Royal in Cancun, Flamingos in PV and twice to Hawaii and going back to Hawaii March 08 on another direct exchange. I've not used any formal agreements either. You sort of get to know the other party via emails and get proof that the other party's week/resort has been reserved in your name.

The key to direct exchanges is that once each party formally says that they commit, they each must realize that there is no room down the road for whatever reason to ask for your week back from their use.

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
I did a direct exchange with a Tugger. I'm taking his 2008 Mexico week & he is taking my 2007 HI week. I'm sure we'll both be happy. Look for a long-time Tugger and talk a lot via email & on the phone. Direct exchanges are difficult because it's hard to find someone who wants what you have & vice versa.

Phil

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott direct exchange

If you own Marriott, there is a website for direct exchanges:

http://www.ownertrades.com/

It's a 10 dollar fee per year - worth it. But it's just Marriott to Marriott.

ml855

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried ownertrades.com several times and everyone I email never responded to my email. I received more response here on tug than on owner trades. Never was able to get anyone to do a direct exchange.

If you own Marriott, there is a website for direct exchanges:

http://www.ownertrades.com/

It's a 10 dollar fee per year - worth it. But it's just Marriott to Marriott.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have had xlnt luck with ownertrades.com!!! This past January we went to Phuket in exchange for our Newport and in years past went to Boston, Marbella, and at least one other that I cannot remember right now.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score

abc

No. Built on trust - talking on the phone, emailing confirmations, occassional chats.