• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Elara

oldsharon

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

My daughter bought a 1wk/every 2 years timeshare at Planet Hollywood before the resort was finished. Now it is called the Elara and is part of the Hilton Vacations Club. They are saying she cannot convert to an RCI deposit without upgrading.

Can you tell me anything about this?

My daughter is now a single mom on longterm disability and we are going to have to take over the timeshare. We presently have a few RCI properties (fixed weeks) and would really only be able to use the Vegas time as a trade thru RCI.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sharon

Last edited by a moderator:

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It is now managed by Hilton but remains a Wastegate/ii resort for existing buyers, it is NOT part of the Hilton system. To do that they would have to pay to get away from Wastegate & upgrade to Hilton. May not be worth it.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Hi Everyone

My daughter bought a 1wk/every 2 years timeshare at Planet Hollywood before the resort was finished. Now it is called the Elara and is part of the Hilton Vacations Club. They are saying she cannot convert to an RCI deposit without upgrading.

My daughter is now a single mom on longterm disability and we are going to have to take over the timeshare. We presently have a few RCI properties (fixed weeks) and would really only be able to use the Vegas time as a trade thru RCI.

Thanks
Sharon

If she purchased from Westgate, those units are only managed by HGVC, they are not part of the HGVC portal for exchanging with RCI.

Whatever you do, do not pay Westgate any more money!

Maybe at some time in the future HGVC will offer a conversion of the old Westgate weeks, until then book the week she owns and visit Vegas or trade it through II.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You/She could also reserve her float week on the use year and deposit it with one of the exchange companies that don't charge an annual fee. If it is at least a 1 bedroom, it could be deposited with SFX. DAE, Trading Places, and Platinum Interchange are also companies that do exchanges. If it is a studio and you are happy to exchange it for a studio somewhere else you should be ok but most of these charge to upgrade to a larger size unit.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Maybe at some time in the future HGVC will offer a conversion of the old Westgate weeks...

Don't hold your breath. HGVC is busy with its own units.
They won't be interested taking on Westgate units for a long time, if ever.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Don't hold your breath. HGVC is busy with its own units.
They won't be interested taking on Westgate units for a long time, if ever.
I've seen you state this several times -- is this just your opinion, or do you have a contact at HGVC that said this? The OP seemed to indicate that they were given the opportunity to upgrade their Westgate ownership to a full HGVC ownership.

Kurt

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I've seen you state this several times -- is this just your opinion, or do you have a contact at HGVC that said this?

A family member in Orlando has a neighbor who once worked at MetroWest.
But all they pass on these days is opinion... or more like "attitude."

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I've seen you state this several times -- is this just your opinion, or do you have a contact at HGVC that said this? The OP seemed to indicate that they were given the opportunity to upgrade their Westgate ownership to a full HGVC ownership.

Kurt

They will sell them a new HGVC membership - they will sell one to anybody! - but they will not embrace a true "upgrade" (as in take over the old Wastegate ownership). The main reason is they have more unsold inventory in just the unfinished parts of the Tower of Terror than they are projected to sell over the next 7-10 years. Tying up capital in additional inventory would be a very bad move.

It is extremely liklely that the poor folks that got caught in the Wastegate PH disaster won't have any easy way out for years, if ever. As usual anything to do with Wastegate virtually guarantees that the owner will regret it at some point. Don't ever forget it.

oldsharon

Reaction score
Hi John
I was afraid that might be the response. Did you say there might be an exchange company that we could trade through without a fee? If so, could you give me contact info. I can't go to Vegas because I am a recovering Gambling Addict - 50 yr old women beware - apparently we are the largest percentage of problem gamblers.
thanks
sharon

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If SFX will take them they offer no membership fee options. Of course you would pay for the actual exchange when you got one. They are selective of the quality of the resorts they will accept. I don't know if Elara is one or not.

I believe Trading Places International (TPI) also has a no-membership fee program. They should accept Elara.

Of course you could also try direct exchanges with other owners. No fees involved but you both have to have something the other wants. Good luck & I hope you can get a value out.

oldsharon

Reaction score
Thanks John
I know you don't recommend trying to buy up to HGVC but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of upgrade fees they are charging Elara owners to do just that.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks John
I know you don't recommend trying to buy up to HGVC but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of upgrade fees they are charging Elara owners to do just that.

I don't know what they are charging, but it will be a lot. It doesn't really sound like taking over this timeshare would be a good idea for you. It isn't want you want or need. I'd suggest calling the HGVC sales staff at Elara and asking them. Give them a day or 2 to research what you have and what they would recommend.

I'm not sure if HGVC will give you what you want. They are heavily Florida, Vegas and Hawaii oriented.

Since your daughter is on disability, maybe she can just return her deed to the resort. She cannot afford it and I don't really think it is a good choice for you.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
Hi Everyone

Thanks
Sharon

You sparked my curiosity.

Who are "they"? Was this HGVC, Westgate, or someone else?

Did "they" happen to elaborate on what you had to upgrade to, how much, and what the upgrade consisted of (ie, replacing your unit/week for a larger/longer one, adding a week, adding points...)

Also, it's my understanding that Westgate is "only" in II, but you stated that you can utilize RCI if you "upgrade". That sounds like HGVC. So, if this is HGVC that you were talking to, would you deed this existing week over to HGVC and replace it with an HGVC week?

Thanks,
- Ron

Last edited: