• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii Prices are UP, UP, UP and away!!!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
In my experience, the sweet spot happens sometime in the 2-6 weeks out range, and usually at 3-4 weeks. But you're right (in a later post) -- your best strategy is to check each and every day. I've been doing that for October, even though I know it's too far out to get a good deal.

-Bob

My latest experience with Costco was for a very short rental in Florida, pick up at Tampa.

I reserved at the lowest price on 3/9, travel was on 5/16. So that was a little more than 2 months out. After I reserved the prices shot way back up again, then went down, but never as low as what I had reserved.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to report my experience...

Booked a 10-day rental mid-March for our trip August 1-11, 2014. Costco had the best rate at the time on a Standard SUV for $677 (including all taxes and fees). Pretty rich for my blood (especially considering we usually travel during the soulder season, Oct or May). Re-checked occassionally, until finally late April the prices dropped to $603. I'll take it!

Just re-checked on Monday (May 19) and the prices dropped a further $170! Now looking at $427 for the exact same rental. That is a price I can handle (but I will of course keep checking). I've been concurrently checking Discount Hawaii Car Rental and they occassionally are $2-3 cheaper, but I get a free extra driver on my Costco rate.

Last edited:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In my experience, the sweet spot happens sometime in the 2-6 weeks out range, and usually at 3-4 weeks. But you're right (in a later post) -- your best strategy is to check each and every day. I've been doing that for October, even though I know it's too far out to get a good deal.

-Bob

I hope this is true because I'm still outside that box and already have a fairly good rate. I'd love to get below $400 for an SUV for our 2 weeks in Maui in 7 weeks.

Started the search and came up with the best deal for an intermediate car for $655 now at $442 for intermediate SUV.

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
So.....I'm sensing that there's not much point in messing with these until 3-4 months from travel date (other than idle curiosity). Would this be correct? Our Costco quote for Big Island next January is still up in the nosebleed section.

-----------------Zach

For my trip to the big island last January, I did a name your own price of $31 on priceline almost 1 year out. The price never went down during the entire year leading up to the trip. Having said this, I agree that usually 1-2 months is the sweet spot.

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Drive to Hawaii

Must be easy as there are three interstate Highways to somewhere. Why else would there be interstate highways? Comparing Florida to Hawaii is like comparing diamonds to glass.
It is very expensive but we just love breathing the Hawaiian air and it is worth it to us..

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Autoslash is great - they were banned from HI for a while (by the other auto companies, they said) - are they back there now?

The way it works now is you make a rez. on your own, anywhere, and send the info to AutoSlash. They will then monitor the rates and contact you when they drop. Still works great.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope this is true because I'm still outside that box and already have a fairly good rate. I'd love to get below $400 for an SUV for our 2 weeks in Maui in 7 weeks.

Started the search and came up with the best deal for an intermediate car for $655 now at $442 for intermediate SUV.

now at $425 for intermediate SUV.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The way it works now is you make a rez. on your own, anywhere, and send the info to AutoSlash. They will then monitor the rates and contact you when they drop. Still works great.

I just put in my $425 intermediate SUV into autoslash to see if it will find it for me for less.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Must be easy as there are three interstate Highways to somewhere. Why else would there be interstate highways? Comparing Florida to Hawaii is like comparing diamonds to glass.
It is very expensive but we just love breathing the Hawaiian air and it is worth it to us..

I also thought is was rather comical that there are Interstates in Oahu. Must have been a federally funded project. Also the Highways were built to accommodate the military transportation around the island.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now at $400 for intermediate SUV through Costco for 2 weeks starting 7/12/14. Started at $655 for intermediate car.

My gut feel says if you are vigilant and using various tools (e.g. CC, AS, etc.) you can get down to $275 for the two weeks for a full size, unsure for a Int SUV.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
pricing up the way up now. Checked today and its up $25.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I ended up getting a $356 for intermediate SUV on 6/1 and since then its gone up to $474 so I'm wondering if the low point was hit at about 40-45 days before my check-in of 7/12/14.

Happy with $356 for 2 weeks for mid SUV considering I started and stayed at $655 for a while for midsize car.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you take note what the lowest full-size prices were?

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you take note what the lowest full-size prices were?

Right now they're A BUNCH for next Jan-Feb (full-size, Costco, $1450 for 5 weeks on Big Island). Will definitely recheck frequently starting 2 months out. Fingers crossed......

------------------Zach

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Costco Prices Up again!

I don't know if anyone else is noticing it, but I have been looking at Costco prices to Hawaii and they have ticked up quite a bit for July 2014. I was able to get reservations a couple of weeks ago for 4 days for fullsized cars for $55 and $52 at Kona and Kauai respectively. Now those same prices have doubled for smaller cars and are double the full sized car price if they even exist. I am now seeing a lot of sold out.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else is noticing it, but I have been looking at Costco prices to Hawaii and they have ticked up quite a bit for July 2014. I was able to get reservations a couple of weeks ago for 4 days for fullsized cars for $55 and $52 at Kona and Kauai respectively. Now those same prices have doubled for smaller cars and are double the full sized car price if they even exist. I am now seeing a lot of sold out.

Yes the intermediate SUV I've been watching for 7-12 to 7-26 now up from low of $356 to $526. Interesting to follow the pricing.