• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Headed to Sandestin/Destin for the first time!

IdahoSuz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palm Springs Tennis Club (3)
HiltonLake Tahoe Vacation Resort
We are headed to the Destin area in FL in a few days. We are staying at the Hilton Grand Vacations Club in Sandestin. We love the fact that we can walk to many restaurants and activities from the resort. However, we will Uber into Destin for some meals and activities and we do plan to rent a car for one day so that we can explore the area and some of the small towns along the gulf. For those of you that have been there what are the activities not to be missed and please provide restaurant recommendations as well.

Thank you!

JoeWilly

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are headed to the Destin area in FL in a few days. We are staying at the Hilton Grand Vacations Club in Sandestin. We love the fact that we can walk to many restaurants and activities from the resort. However, we will Uber into Destin for some meals and activities and we do plan to rent a car for one day so that we can explore the area and some of the small towns along the gulf. For those of you that have been there what are the activities not to be missed and please provide restaurant recommendations as well.

Thank you!
Hi IdahoSuz. That's where we stayed too. The resort is very nice. They have a shuttle that will take you around the property--to the beach, etc. There are numerous restaurants within walking/shuttle distance away. Restaurants such as Emeril's, Fleming Steak House, PF Chang, and several others you can walk to. There are a lot of shops there too. The shuttle ride to the beach works great. In the parking garage, we found beach chairs and an umbrella. You can also rent complimentary bikes with helmets and ride around the numerous bike/walking paths. We even saw one or two dolphins at Joiley Island which is right next door to the property. At the marina, we were told the dolphins come in to the channel there but we never saw them there. If Debbie is your shuttle driver, tell her Joyce and Barney from Seattle say Hi.

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access
When renting your car, ride down 30A, lots of beach side communities, and tons of eateries.

IdahoSuz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the messages and info, weems637 and JoeWilly!

Another ? for you JoeWilly…. After the shuttle takes you to the beach can you rent beach chairs and umbrellas? Are there concessions or do we need to take food/drinks with us?

JoeWilly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the messages and info, weems637 and JoeWilly!

Another ? for you JoeWilly…. After the shuttle takes you to the beach can you rent beach chairs and umbrellas? Are there concessions or do we need to take food/drinks with us?
RE: shuttle to the beach - yes, you can rent beach chairs and an umbrella. We saw rental prices from $55 to $80 daily for two chairs and an umbrella. But it's very easy to grab complimentary beach chairs (there were four or five chairs) and an umbrella (we saw two umbrellas) if they are still available from the resort. The shuttle drops you off right by the Hilton where there is a public entrance to the beach. There's a coffee shop in/near the Hilton, several restaurants in the Hilton and a beach bar restaurant right by the entrance to the beach. We were told the food was good there. There's plenty of places to get food and drinks near the beach.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
A couple of our favorite restaurants are McGuire’s Irish Pub (typical Irish fare but very good) and Louisiana Lagniappe (excellent seafood with a Louisiana influence). There are tons of great restaurants but we usually hit both of these during our visits.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Mmm, how did you get into the Hilton Sandestin? It's Embarc - I don't know if I've seen it in RCI. I was underwhelmed when I was there in Feb in Wyndham Bay Club II. That location is probably only fun if you go right to golfing.

IdahoSuz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RE: shuttle to the beach - yes, you can rent beach chairs and an umbrella. We saw rental prices from $55 to $80 daily for two chairs and an umbrella. But it's very easy to grab complimentary beach chairs (there were four or five chairs) and an umbrella (we saw two umbrellas) if they are still available from the resort. The shuttle drops you off right by the Hilton where there is a public entrance to the beach. There's a coffee shop in/near the Hilton, several restaurants in the Hilton and a beach bar restaurant right by the entrance to the beach. We were told the food was good there. There's plenty of places to get food and drinks near the beach.
Thanks for the info. Considering those rental prices I will definitely try to grab the chairs and an umbrella from from the resort!

IdahoSuz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mmm, how did you get into the Hilton Sandestin? It's Embarc - I don't know if I've seen it in RCI. I was underwhelmed when I was there in Feb in Wyndham Bay Club II. That location is probably only fun if you go right to golfing.
I got the reservation through Destination Xchange. We won't be golfing but I'm sure we will find lots of fun things to do!

IdahoSuz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A couple of our favorite restaurants are McGuire’s Irish Pub (typical Irish fare but very good) and Louisiana Lagniappe (excellent seafood with a Louisiana influence). There are tons of great restaurants but we usually hit both of these during our visits.
Thanks for the suggestions!

JoeWilly

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got the reservation through Destination Xchange. We won't be golfing but I'm sure we will find lots of fun things to do!
We traded in through Interval International. Most of the people we met at the resort were owners.

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access
The Sandestin beach access can be very congested, umbrella rentals can be 5-7 rows deep! We travel by car, and have adjusted our beach time at two of the State Parks. Henderson State Park is between Sandestin and Destin and not anywhere as crowded at the Sandestin beach access, particularly during summer months. I think park admission is $6 per car. The other is Grayton State Park. Grayton has a much smaller footprint, and you have to get there relatively early, as the paid parking lot fills up quickly. If Grayton State Park is full, try the access in Grayton. They have a complementary shuttle from the parking lot. The only downside is the walk thru the sand is much longer, especially if you bring lots of beach gear.

IdahoSuz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Sandestin beach access can be very congested, umbrella rentals can be 5-7 rows deep! We travel by car, and have adjusted our beach time at two of the State Parks. Henderson State Park is between Sandestin and Destin and not anywhere as crowded at the Sandestin beach access, particularly during summer months. I think park admission is $6 per car. The other is Grayton State Park. Grayton has a much smaller footprint, and you have to get there relatively early, as the paid parking lot fills up quickly. If Grayton State Park is full, try the access in Grayton. They have a complementary shuttle from the parking lot. The only downside is the walk thru the sand is much longer, especially if you bring lots of beach gear.
Thank you for the info on the beach access. We are renting a car one day and will likely stop at Henderson State park.