• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How does RCI work, now that it's very different from TUG's explanation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
In other words, don't rely on accurate, recent knowledge here, without having to dig for it.

The most accurate, recent knowledge is in the forums, where Tuggers add valuable info. and tips every day.

I'm the Exchanging Forum Moderator, and I can tell you that when RCI first released the new program in Nov. - they told us virtually nothing. Info. kind of dribbled out over time. For months, we pieced it together by sharing info. in the forums. There are still many factors that are coming to light every day - RCI doesn't show all it's cards to timeshare owners.

So yes, if you really want the most current info., the Exchange forum is the place to go. If friendly sharing is not your cup of tea, then TUG will probably never live up to your expectations.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In other words, don't rely on accurate, recent knowledge here, without having to dig for it.

I see. You are upset that what you are looking for was not handed to you. You don't want to actually have to do some work on your own to get what you are looking for. And so you're throwing a tantrum.

Welcome to the real world. You know, the place where you have to work to get what you want. Have you stopped by there lately? Most of us are introduced to it by the time we're eight years old.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Actually, in post number 8 on the first page, earlier this morning, I tried to give a very quick synopsis of the differences between old RCI and new RCI. I then suggested that we - meaning the TUG community that posts on these boards - were happy to answer questions and invited you to ask about what specific things you needed to know. There were some other answers and summaries of things that might be helpful to you.

Since then, others have updated information and referred you to RCI tutorials that might help. All of this has been done to attempt to address your concerns and all of this has been done in the space of a few hours.

I think we all get that you're unhappy that you didn't get what you feel you needed from the advice section. If all of us can move past that, I for one will be happy to attempt to answer any specific questions you actually have. I don't think it's requiring a lot of effort on your part other than formulating your questions so not sure where the digging reference is coming from

Bev

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Agree, agree, agree. And thanks for all of your wonderful articles and help, Greg. Also, thank you to TROG, who has also helped me with his articles. So many others, too, need my thanks, because I we have better vacations because of those articles.

RCI is NOT hard to figure out yourself. It's very clearly an easy system to understand. Ten minutes on the RCI site, and you will get it.

You didn't ask for new information, you posted on a thread that was titled TUG IS A SCAM, in a vitriolic fashion.:wall:

If this were my board I would ban you for life, if you were a customer in my store I would throw you out. :whoopie:

There are pleasant ways to ask for help about something you are trying to learn about, you didn't use a single one of those, you choose instead to attack.

And while I did some of the back round work to update this sticky, I didn't do it because of your whining, I did it because as a member of this board and this community I try to be helpful.

In your case I can see that you don't comprehend that :wall: , so

Please don't go away mad, just go away.

fwiw,

Greg

Last edited:

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
The "ask rci" one isn't. It doesn't mention "tpu" at all. It says nothing about how it works now but only how it worked before Nov.

As a newbie, I don't know which are accurate. If anyone knows which are inaccurate, I wish they would ask that they be taken down, so as to not mislead others.

And I have mentioned this specific article repeatedly. I've even linked it in posts.

First off, you're not a newbie. I'm a newbie, less than nine months. Even at that, I'm barely a newbie. Secondly, you must realize, common sense should tell you, that communitiy provided tutorials become dated. Current information is found in the current posts.

BTW, you clearly missed the following. It is the first post of the first thread in "Ask RCI".

"ASK RCI Forum no longer staffed by RCI 7/27/07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is just a temporary note to inform users that after a full month of no communication between Madge and TUG, and no participation in the forum...it would appear that RCI has chosen to discontinue their staffing of this forum without any notification or warning to TUG."

That seems pretty darn self expanatory to me. That forum is also clearly marked as "Archive". You mark things as "archive" because they are... well... old stuff that's not necessarily up to date, but kept for reference. If you missed all that, you can't blame TUG. Just swallow hard and chalk it up to experience, building character or whatever.

I don't think your time was wasted, though, and I do hope you stay around. There's an enormous amount of freely exchanged knowledge that's here on the forum.

Last edited:

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score

No, you obviously know how to get a basic exchange (since you did it with VRI). I am pointing out that for basic exchanges RCI works the same.

Now if you are wanting to do intermediate or advanced exchanges YOU must do some homework to get wise enough to do it yourself.

It's like fishing: an article that tells you "throw a bait on a hook and put it in the water" is not faking you out, or lying, or even "wrong" since that technique will work - it's just not advanced like noodlin' is. :hysterical:

You really need to quit expecting all of us to advance your education without you contributing anything but angst.

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bought at the Crafts Inn in August of 2009. Mountainside in Jan 2010. We used VRI to stay at Cape Cod last summer. We used VRI to trade for Island Park.

I have been focusing on buying, not exchanging. I am sorry I ever thought I could learn how to use RCI here on Tug.

After I thoroughly studied TUG's article, I visited the forum and found that I had it all wrong.
You repeatedly claim that the information you got from the article was wrong, yet not one of the experienced RCI members here has found anything particularly wrong about the articles.

If you think you read incorrect information in those articles, please tell us what that incorrect information was. Perhaps you are misunderstanding some of the discussion regarding TPU, and perhaps it is your understanding of the new system that is wrong - not the basic article explaining how to use RCI.

What is it that you discovered in the forums that makes you think the information in the FAQ is wrong or out of date?

Editing to add - I have friends interested in timeshare, and I would still refer them to that article as written to get a basic understanding of how RCI works, particularly as they try to decide what to purchase.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
User requested her refund via email, since she was already nearly 7 months into her membership, I refunded half the renewal payment to cover the remaining membership that will go unused.

User has also been banned from the forums given they dont appear to be able to have a conversation on an adult level any longer.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
User requested her refund via email, since she was already nearly 7 months into her membership, I refunded half the renewal payment to cover the remaining membership that will go unused.

User has also been banned from the forums given they dont appear to be able to have a conversation on an adult level any longer.

I hope the refundee enjoys his/her lunch they can now afford with their $7.50 back safely in their pockets. Maybe they'll choke on it. I wouldn't have given them a nickle back after they used up more than 50% of the time. Thanks for the great resource you offer with TUG - thankfully the majority of users aren't like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.