• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I think I like this new TPU system...

Bourne

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know who Madge was...I go back a long time...:)

But the rci of today is not the rci of yesteryears...even in exchanging I have seen many things getting hot and cooling down...

Move on...this rci bashing is sounding like a broken record now. Nothing is perfect...you will always cling to straws when any adverse argument is presented. And everytime I give a reasonable answer that cannot be refuted in a sane logical discussion, out comes Madge.

I miss perrym...atleast he played fair.

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know who Madge was...I go back a long time...:)

But the rci of today is not the rci of yesteryears...even in exchanging I have seen many things getting hot and cooling down...

Move on...this rci bashing is sounding like a broken record now. Nothing is perfect...you will always cling to straws when any adverse argument is presented. And everytime I give a reasonable answer that cannot be refuted in a sane logical discussion, out comes Madge.

I miss perrym...atleast he played fair.

Don't forget bootleg who was to RCI what deep throat was to Watergate.

Don't forget that you have only been a member since 2005, so your knowledge is limited.

Don't forget that you are a member with less than 600 posts but that Carolinian is a perpetual GUEST with over 7600 posts (probably 7500 of them were bashing RCI).

Don't forget that Carolinian bought his first timeshare at Stonehenge when it was under construction.

Don't forget that bragging on SFX and DAE is enlightened thinking while bragging on RCI is being an ignorant, uniformed, uneducated RCI cheerleader with rose colored glasses on.

Don't forget that you DON'T understand supply and demand.

Don't forget that the 2 hardest to get exchanges in the world are the OBX and London.

Don't forget that the great exchanges you have gotten using RCI are not actually good exchanges. The RCI exchanges are skewed and "unfair". Only exchanges through SFX and DAE are "fair" exchanges.

Don't forget to put Carolinian on IGNORE so you don't have to listen to any more of his repetitive anti RCI bias. ;)

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
You Mean, Even If I Like'm, They Actually Suck Canal Water ?

Don't forget that the great exchanges you have gotten using RCI are not actually good exchanges. The RCI exchanges are skewed and "unfair". Only exchanges through SFX and DAE are "fair" exchanges.
So even if the trade bait I used was a timeshare I don't care to go to, & even if the exchange week I got was for a nice resort in a location I liked at just the perfect time I wanted to go, that even then I still got a bad exchange?

Shux, if I had known that at the time then I could have gone around in a mopy funk of disappointment instead of enjoying myself on a really nice timeshare vacation experience.

Live & learn, eh ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I did a comparision once between some Orlando numbers from VV@)P and those in a wide variety of rare locations, none of which I own in, ranging for St. John in winter to Bermuda in summer to Charleston in summer to French Riviera in August and a number of others. It was obscene how much VV@P was overpointed compared to rare areas.

Let's see, in my life I've been to St. John once (on a cruise), never to Bermuda, Charleston once and the French Riviera twice. Might as well add London in there too cause I've been there 5 times. I'd consider myself a very well traveled person but yet.............

Guess how many times I've been to Orlando. I don't even know anymore cause it's way more than 100 times in my lifetime so far.

Guess where my most demanded vacations would be in RCI and in II and even DAE for that matter? Yup, that nasty little swamp in the middle of the state with an ugly Mouse, stealing all my money in his well built Mousetrap.
Yes I've even used the $79 DAE deals to go to the dreaded big bad Mousetrap. :ignore:

Small supply doesn't mean high demand

See above. Finally I agree with you. ;)

Shux, if I had known that at the time then I could have gone around in a mopy funk of disappointment instead of enjoying myself on a really nice timeshare vacation experience.

Live & learn, eh ?

Don't worry Allen, RCI's gonna still keep the light on at VVP for us so keep that dinky points ownership. I know I'm not giving mine up yet either. :hi:

It sure beats Motel 6 in Kissimmee. :eek:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Motel 6 & Super 8 Aren't All That Bad. (Comparatively Speaking.)

It sure beats Motel 6 in Kissimmee.
The 1 to shun is Day's Inn, over by the convention center.

( There's a reason it rates only 1 star on PriceLine Dot Com. )

Full Disclosure: We actually stayed overnight at that dump. Twice. When our flights arrived 1 night before our resort reservations started, we put in 1-star PriceLine bids. After getting stuck at Day's Inn that 1st time, we figured it's such a large area with lots & lots of hotels that chances were slim we'd get stuck at the same dump a 2nd time. Wrong. Around here, live & learn is an operative principle. Therefore, we thenceforth never bid lower than 2 stars on PriceLine.

goofygirl17

Reaction score
Wow- I didn't expect this whole debate! I'm just excited that I got 2 nice weeks in Orlando at the last minute and still have TPU left over :)

I have to admit I was frustrated when RCI first switched over to TPU. We've stayed at DVC twice through a swap- once a studio at SSR and this past April in a 1BR at OKW. When they first changed to TPU I realized I couldn't trade into DVC anymore without combining points which I think is a waste of money and points plus the extra fee. Now I have some consolation in that I can stay for 2 weeks offsite and still have points left over for another vacation.

I don't know all the ins and outs of RCI and trading (that's why I come here :) ). We bought our timeshare without ever seeing the unit because we knew we'd never stay there. We wanted a red week, sleeps 6 and that's what we bought. It's a local resort and we use the pool summer and winter. I figure our maintenance fees (@ $700) are worth it just to use the facilities regularly. I like the fact that I can use that unit to get multiple vacations. Right now we enjoy Disney and are getting multiple trips per year using our one week unit. Pretty good deal for us. I don't know if our resort is over or under valued but it works.

Okay... let the debate continue...

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Wow- I didn't expect this whole debate! I'm just excited that I got 2 nice weeks in Orlando at the last minute and still have TPU left over

There are great resorts in Orlando. It was smart of RCI and DVC to set the values higher for DVC, so everyone wouldn't "see" the inventory. Most people with average deposits do not

Back when DVC was with RCI, before it was with II, I saw a few studios online in RCI. I couldn't see anything else with prime Colorado weeks. I didn't know what I was missing, because my weeks limited what I could see. We would never take a studio over the other offerings. Rick likes having a nice big bathtub, preferably with jets, for his back.

Now I have a choice: do I want to pay the high price of DVC to experience the "magic" of staying on property? Or do I care enough about the magic to pay so much more over the cost of the other great resorts nearby?

With our grown kids and grandkids, we definitely want that magic and will pay to get it, two separate units, two weeks for November, so four total units, just to stay on property. I am excited to have the choice. But when our trips are just us, we won't bother with the DVC, because the magic isn't worth the cost. It averages out just fine.

We saw Cypress Palms and thought it was really nice. I would take an exchange there, into a larger 1 bedroom.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Wow- I didn't expect this whole debate! I'm just excited that I got 2 nice weeks in Orlando at the last minute and still have TPU left over :)

Pretty good deal for us. I don't know if our resort is over or under valued but it works.

Okay... let the debate continue...

Glad we didn't scare you off goofygirl. :hi:

I think you did fine just like RCI designed it to be in Orlando. They obviously are giving Orlandophiles a bone or two, but why not? It's a way that they can save face. Not that it's an issue for me, I'm pretty happy so far with RCI once I learned how to work the website thanks to my fellow TUGgers. I for one plan on exploiting it as much as I can and I'm sure they're just fine with me trading my 20 TPU week for 4 weeks of mousetime.

You were smart to buy at a resort that you can use the day privileges. I own one of those too and it's great. It's also nice that when you exchange back into your home resort the staff will usually upgrade you for free if they know you well. ;)

And don't worry about this debate continuing. Once it get started well let's just say, it's like............:deadhorse: :p

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A rate is a percentage and not a raw number. Madge's discussions of ''utilization'' do not square with this Orwellian redefinition of ''utilization'' (for newbies, Madge was an official RCI rep who used to have a Board on TUG).

There is also another factor that disproves this theory and that is that all overbuilt areas with a glut of timeshare do not profit from it. Some like the Canary Islands, get the low numbers they deserve. The difference is that it is not RCI's formula that gives some overbuilt areas more points than they deserve, it is insider politicking by developers with RCI. Having been aware of some of the insider dealing between Barrier Island Station and RCI over their RCI Points numbers, I am well aware of what goes on.

RCI's policies over time, for whatever reason, become perceived to favor the overbuilt over the rare, then the rare will move elsewhere and you simply will not get them in RCI. When RCI Points came in, for example it drove several timeshare chains to bail out to II. Even independents have benefitted, like Sloane Garden Court in London dumping RCI in order to make SFX its principle exchange provider. Eventually as people wake up, it will be SFX which gets the last laugh from RCI's foolish policies of favoring the overbuilt over the rare.

As we should all know by now RCI wants to make money & its there for the taking when talking about high volume, high demand areas that turn over quickly - the same areas some love to call overbuilt. For every minute time someone looks for Outer Banks or London 100 or more are trying for Orlando or Vegas. They go where the action & thus dollars are not some twice a month, short season area that they'd go broke depending on.

As for how its done it's now open for all to see. A great value & improvement over the backroom hidden days. Most like it some that benefitted from the hidden factor don't - so don't use them! At least they aren't charging $9000+ for some scam sounding system like some have done recently. Go play there if you like the old school.

Last edited:

Bourne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Way back before 2005...enough to get impacted by the date reset issue many old timers are touchy about...

2000 to be exact...bought a hgvc seaworld and was researching online and stumbled on this forum. Lurked for years..:)

That aside, my apologies to the op for hijacking this thread with needless banter. Happy that things worked out for you with the new system.

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
That's About The Size Of It.

As we should all know by now RCI wants to make money & its there for the taking when talking about high volume, high demand areas that turn over quickly - the same areas some love to call overbuilt. For every minute time someone looks for Outer Banks or London 100 or more are trying for Orlando or Vegas. They go where the action & thus dollars are not some twice a month, short season area that they'd go broke depending on.

As for how its done it's now open for all to see. A great value & improvement over the backroom hidden days. Most like it some that benefitted from the hidden factor don't - so don't use them!
That hits the nail right on the head.

Rose-colored glasses are not needed to see that Orlando is the world timeshare capital.