• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II exchange over New Years 2008

chris209

Reaction score
I am hoping for some advice about the likelihood of exchanging our timeshare for next New years ( late Dec 2008). We own a 1 bdrm ski week at Falcon Point in Avon Colorado which seems to trade quite well in searches I have done. I deposited our 2008 week 11 two months ago and received an AC (which I have already used to book a week at Marirott Grande Vista for this year). I have requested a number of II 5 star resorts in the Caribbean ( St Kitts, St Thomas , Bahamas, Antigua, Aruba) and also the Hyatts in Key West for the week of Dec 27, 2008. Is this an impossible trade?
Chris

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am hoping for some advice about the likelihood of exchanging our timeshare for next New years ( late Dec 2008). We own a 1 bdrm ski week at Falcon Point in Avon Colorado which seems to trade quite well in searches I have done. I deposited our 2008 week 11 two months ago and received an AC (which I have already used to book a week at Marirott Grande Vista for this year). I have requested a number of II 5 star resorts in the Caribbean ( St Kitts, St Thomas , Bahamas, Antigua, Aruba) and also the Hyatts in Key West for the week of Dec 27, 2008. Is this an impossible trade?
Chris
I just happened to come across this post.

I think you are asking for a VERY difficult trade. Many of the resorts you mention are in systems with internal trade priority, and it's not likely at all that someone who owns outside the system will get New Year's week. Other than Antigua, aren't all of your Caribbean requests Marriotts or Starwoods? Other Marriotts/Starwoods will have first dibs on those. Hyatt weeks probably have first dibs on other Hyatts (not sure.)

Orlando is a very, very easy trade. The fact that you were able to get a Grand Vista during off-season or flextime (which are the only times you can use your AC) doesn't really tell you anything about the trading power of your week.

The one thing you have going for you is that you put in your request way in advance (18 months is a lot in II.) Even so, I'd be surprised if you pulled any of your requested resorts, except maybe last-minute. (Maybe you'll get Antigua -- which resort did you ask for there?)

chris209

Reaction score
Thanks- I think you have echoed my own thoughts! Although II have told me I have a reasonable chance (so not sure what to think). The resorts are all Marriott or Hyatt except Antigua (St James) and St Maarten (Oyster Bay). The reason I assumed that my week is a good trader is from some searches I have done (last year definitely saw Marriotts in FT Lauderdale and Miami and Palm Beach and Las Vegas available for New Years). I was hoping that by depositing first I would open up some additional possibilities. Can you tell me what happens if I don't get any of these requests filled and how long should I wait before deciding to settle for something lesser? If I decide to change my request to a March 2009 week does that affect my trade value? I bought the Falcon Point for under $800 on E-Bay so feel I am getting great trade value however it works out!!

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just about an impossible trade. First problem is your trade power. Even though its a ski week there are many other better quality ski resorts that have better trading power and you are only trading a 1 bedroom. Also you are looking for a trade to a higher quality resort at a higher demand time of year. Not a like for like trade.

Second problem is that overall there are a tremendous amount of requests for that week at the same resorts you want. Many will be by owners of resorts with internal Marriott preference and by owners of stronger trading weeks. This puts you very far down the food chain

With the exception of Oyster Bay, all the resorts you are looking for are very high quality and all have huge demand, especially for New Years week. Owners at these resorts tend to use the week or rent it for a hefty sum.

My advice would be to make back up plans or try to rent a unit that you need.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Falcon Point was a Five-Star resort, last time I looked.

I think an exchange for a Marriott or Hyatt is going to be difficult, as their owners will probably use those weeks. You might be able to rent one.

Oyster Bay on St. Martin looks to be a pretty easy trade most of the time. You might get that one. Holidays are hard to get for most places.