• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

London dining suggestions?

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you're looking at anything that might be remotely inexpensive, think carbs: most of the ethnic spots are carbs, the sandwiches are almost entirely bread, many pub meals are mostly potatoes. If you like carbs (and are willing to pay a great deal for them) you can utilize those choices. Protein is going to cost you dearly.

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stayed at Waldorf Hilton for a night after a week in a flat. Tried to go to Bank Aldwych and realized that it has been replace by another restaurant...

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you're looking at anything that might be remotely inexpensive, think carbs

New Tayyabs is virtually all protein: Grilled chicken, beef and lamb. You can also get carbs if you want. Their Garlic Naan is particularly good, though their rice is mediocre (pakistanis tend to eat bread rather than rice, so rice in a pakistani restaurant is normally so-so). The Mango or Banana Lassi is also good.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Currently in London and found www.toptable.co.uk where they have alot of 50% off food deals. Also, Oyster card has some more 2 for 1 deals and as always, the pre theater meus anywhere are good value for money.

Cheers

Janie

Reaction score
The Toptable website is excellent...

We've used it many times and it has saved us a lot of $$. Check it frequently because the specials change all the time. You can sign up for their email list and you'll be notified about new deals.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Theatre offerings?

Folks in London now or who just got back...what are some recommended stage shows? I tend to like quirky "off Broadway" type shows when in NYC; so if you know of anything indie/alternative in London that's really great, I'd love to hear your tips! :wave:

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Two weeks ago, we saw The 39 Steps at the Criterion Theater on Picadilly Circus. It is an adaptation of Hitchcock's 1935 movie. There are only four actors and they play all of the roles. One is the lead and the other three, two men and one woman, play all the other roles. With minimum sets, it is well worth seeing and you can get 2 for 1 tickets via your Oyster card.

It is a great evening and extremely well done as a broadly played tour de force. I suggest you get a DVD of the original and see the great execution of this version.

Cheers

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Two weeks ago, we saw The 39 Steps at the Criterion Theater on Picadilly Circus. It is an adaptation of Hitchcock's 1935 movie. There are only four actors and they play all of the roles. One is the lead and the other three, two men and one woman, play all the other roles. With minimum sets, it is well worth seeing and you can get 2 for 1 tickets via your Oyster card.

It is a great evening and extremely well done as a broadly played tour de force. I suggest you get a DVD of the original and see the great execution of this version.

Cheers

I had to study the 39 Steps in film school. So this is a play that would greatly interest me. What's the best way to acquire Oyster Cards with one month to go 'til departure? Thanks, "skier"...once again...for your helpful advice! :hi:

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last edited:

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sad to say, the 2 for 1 deals have expired. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/microsites/oysteroffers/ :mad:

Still an Oyster Card is a good deal just for travel. Use the link above to see how to buy.

OTOH, here's a 2 for 1 offer from National Rail. Do not know the restrictions, if any so good hunting. http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/attraction-types/entertainment.aspx ;) If it is dependednt on a ticket, you can take a train from Gatwick or Heathrow and that might do the trick.

Cheers

Thanks for the tips...even though I'm hungry for oysters now. :p

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Folks in London now or who just got back...what are some recommended stage shows? I tend to like quirky "off Broadway" type shows when in NYC; so if you know of anything indie/alternative in London that's really great, I'd love to hear your tips! :wave:

The one tip I do have is to go to the Ticket Booth in Leicester Square to get your tickets. They have half-price tickets the day of the show, and often have a lot of the quirkly, off-Broadway type shows in addition to a good smattering of blockbusters.

I saw "Jerry Springer, The Opera" in the west end in 2004. Quirky, very funny, full of offbeat British Humor, and incredibly foul. It would never make it to the U.S. because the language would never get past the censors, and Mr. and Mrs. Midwest would be simply shocked and offended. Great show, but I doubt it's still going.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I saw "Jerry Springer, The Opera" in the west end in 2004. Quirky, very funny, full of offbeat British Humor, and incredibly foul. It would never make it to the U.S. because the language would never get past the censors, and Mr. and Mrs. Midwest would be simply shocked and offended.

Seeing how that nut case Springer was once Mayor of Cincinnati and was caught using a prostitute because he paid with a check, nothing about Jerry Springer, including a play, no matter what the content, would shock anybody who knows him . :D

Cheers

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
nothing about Jerry Springer, including a play, no matter what the content, would shock anybody who knows him . :D

Cheers

And that's basically the concept of the Opera. Not only foul language and dancing Ku Klux Klansmen, but Jesus as an overweight man in a diaper who sings that he's "a little bit gay" prompted multiple protests from religious groups. I'm pretty open and laid back about the whole obscenity thing, but I think that some newspaper counted something like 8,000 swear words used in the show.

I still thought it was hilarious, if a bit silly.

Janie

Reaction score
"Jerry Springer" has been staged in the US...

In the Midwest, as a matter of fact. I saw it in Minneapolis last year. We also saw it twice in London, in 2003 and again 2004. It is a hysterically funny, wicked show.

I think it also played a brief run at Carnegie Hall last January, with Harvey Keitel as Jerry. But it's not playing in London right now.

If you like Kenneth Branagh, he's in a new adaptation of a Chekhov play at the Donmar Warehouse through the end of November.

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keith Branagh is in Ivanov at the Donmar but it could be difficult to get tickets since they only have less than 200 seats I think.

Janie

Reaction score
The Branagh show is a Donmar production, but they're doing it at a much bigger theater (I think it's on Charing Cross Road) which has 700 seats. We have tickets for October 21--and we're in the third row center! I think my husband ordered them about two weeks ago.