• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Schooner - OK for someone never been to HI?

kccpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a possible trade into the Maui Schooner for a 2BD. I'm doing the trade as a gift for a friend who has NEVER been to Hawaii. I'm worried that Kihei won't have that Hawaiian flavor. The dates would be late May 2011.

HELP! I need to decide ASAP.

I was hoping for a trade closer to the Kaanapali area...maybe the SOK. Granted Whalers Village isn't real Hawaii but it's close to Lahaina and there are lots of beautiful beaches up and down the coast.

I'm just not sure about the beaches in Kihei. The only beaches I recall or the Kamaole 1,2 & 3.

Suggestions, thoughts, needed. Fellow tuggers comes through for me!

Thanks!

Kathy

Last edited:

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
I think, it is a matter of taste. Personally, I don't like the Kihei area as much. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with the area except that has more a residential feel to it rather than a resort feel. There are great beaches near by but you do need to drive to them. I'm not sure if this particular resort has a swimmable beach in front. So, I guess, it depends on what your friend is looking for. To us, a swimmable beach is VERY important. I discovered that on a trip to the Westin Princeville in Kauai where you need to walk down a huge mountain to get to the beach. I did not enjoy that. I prefer to walk out onto the beach. It is the reason I go to Hawaii. I don't go to Hawaii to load up the car and drive to a beach. But as I said before it is all personal preference.

stevelb

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was also thinking of a trade into this resort, but am now worried about the disruption that may be caused by the renovations. Any thoughts?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We love Kihei and prefer that side of island. And yes, we have to drive to our favorite beach. But, that's fine. It just means there are less people there. :D

Maluaka_Beach_3.jpg

Maluaka_Beach_5.jpg

Last edited:

kccpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Luanne,

What beach was that? Would you share? I'm really having a hard time with this decision.

Do we know when the renovations are going to start? Or have they already started?

Thanks!!!!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
That is Maluaka Beach. We've been going there since before there was a hotel on site. The hotel used to be the Maui Prince, but now it's the Maui Beach Resort (I think). However, it doesn't seem like many of the hotel guests use the beach. It's more crowded on weekends when the local come. The beach is located in the Makena area.

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a Maui Schooner week for my nephew's honeymoon. They loved it and have not been to Hawaii before.

Sue

kccpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. You all were a big help. Knew I could depend upon my fellow TUGgers.

I took the Maui Schooner. My friend said that the place would be a landing spot anyway and he expects to be doing a lot of traveling in seeing the island. What really swayed me was seeing Maluaka Beach. Beautiful. I'd certainly be happy to drive to that beach.

It's a 2BD so he might get lucky and get something with a view. Fingers crossed. It will be the end of May so weather should be nice.

Appreicate all your help.

Kathy:cheer:

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
All the rooms have a view. A building looks directly out on the ocean. B building you have a view of the pool and the ocean.

Sterling

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
All the rooms have a view. A building looks directly out on the ocean. B building you have a view of the pool and the ocean.

Sterling

The pictures from their website look lovely.

barefootnAR

Reaction score
Luanne,

What beach was that? Would you share? I'm really having a hard time with this decision.

Do we know when the renovations are going to start? Or have they already started?

Thanks!!!!
Renovations might start April 2011 if owners vote yes...See Kauai Kid's post on Schooner Assessments for more detail.

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another plus for the Kihei area.

It is closer to the major must see sights. Up country, Road to Hana, the mountain.

Also much closer to the airport than west Maui.

Sterling:wave:

kccpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

Thanks all!

I did take the trade so my friend will have a wonderful 2BD accomodation when he said he would be happy with a studio. No way could I put a newbie in a studio. :eek: I told him about the potential for some construction noise and he was again OK with that...said the condo would be a jumping off place for his excursions so it shouldn't be a problem.

He already has the aloha spirit! :)

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's his first time in Hawaii - a tent on the beach wouldn't be that bad. A two bedroom place on Maui - not too shabby.