• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Points v. Weeks

AKO

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sure there are threads but I can't find them.

Can you post links to threads discussing pros and cons between RCI Points and RCI Weeks timeshares.

EDIT: Also, if the property is a RCI Points one that states a Week #, does that mean that it is a fixed week every year if we don't trade it?

Last edited:

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
That's a lot to sift through... do you have specific questions?

To start...

- Points annual membership fee is higher, but includes a Weeks membership.
- Points membership gives you access to Weeks inventory (Weeks membership does NOT give access to Points inventory)
- Points allows you to book less than or more than 7 nights (I can't remember the max)
- Points exchange fees are lower and based on number of nights
- Some resorts charge housekeeping fees for Points reservations less than 7 nights
- If you own a week at a resort that is NOT part of RCI Points, you can deposit it to your Points account (PFD - Points For Deposit) ) and get Points deposited to your account for that fixed week... for a fee of course
- RCI weeks "deposit restore", which allows you to pay a fee to get full trading power if deposited at least 2 weeks before checkin, DOES NOT apply to RCI points PFD
- While you can place an ongoing search (OGS) for reservations thru your Points account, it won't pull reservations from Points inventory
- Points inventory can only be booked 10 months in advance (a big benefit in my opinion) except for Home group (11 months), Home resort (12 months) and Home week (13 months)
- Some resorts charge fees to join (and/or remain in) RCI Points
- RCI Points inventory cannot be 'held' for 24 hours like Weeks inventory

Yes, I have a Points membership.

I'm sure there's more, but it's late and I'm going off the top of my head

AKO

TUG Member
Reaction score
@admin - please note this thread *is* intended for the Buying forum. I am trying to understand what I am buying in regards to RCI Points vs RCI Weeks. Specifics of how to use them is not important at this time. What I am looking for is what I give up (value) of one compared to the other.

AKO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Now more info to drown in. :p

Will be buying our first timeshare and trying to understand the value proposition. Initially for newbs like me, the deeded week is easy to understand and get out head around. Same week every year as long as we don't deposit it for trade.

The one I am trying to figure out is a unit that gets RCI Points that says it has a specific week number. I assume that means that if we don't trade it, we get that same week number every year. I would like to know for sure though, because you know what they say about "assuming" things.

I am digging through different threads to learn all those things and get caught up.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own week 31 (mid-summer) at a beach-front resort on the Florida panhandle. This week was already enrolled in RCI Points when I bought it. I keep it in RCI Points because the resort is part of a big resort group and having it in RCI Points gives me the opportunity to book reservations in that home group before members who don't own within the group... so a slight advantage. I ALWAYS reserve my home week (through RCI, no exchange fee required); sometimes I stay there, sometimes I rent it out. If I fail to reserve my owned week within the allotted time, I lose it and the points remain in my RCI Points account.

I've learned that not all resorts have that same RCI points relationship. I'm not sure how they all work. You would want to ask specifically about the resort you're interested in purchasing to see how it works with RCI Points.

I also own triennial Points contracts at 2 other resorts (Vacation Village @ Parkway & Grandview Las Vegas). I never reserve my home week... honestly, I'm really not even sure which weeks I own. I use those points for other reservations.

AKO

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own week 31 (mid-summer) at a beach-front resort on the Florida panhandle. This week was already enrolled in RCI Points when I bought it. I keep it in RCI Points because the resort is part of a big resort group and having it in RCI Points gives me the opportunity to book reservations in that home group before members who don't own within the group... so a slight advantage. I ALWAYS reserve my home week (through RCI, no exchange fee required); sometimes I stay there, sometimes I rent it out. If I fail to reserve my owned week within the allotted time, I lose it and the points remain in my RCI Points account.

I've learned that not all resorts have that same RCI points relationship. I'm not sure how they all work. You would want to ask specifically about the resort you're interested in purchasing to see how it works with RCI Points.

I also own triennial Points contracts at 2 other resorts (Vacation Village @ Parkway & Grandview Las Vegas). I never reserve my home week... honestly, I'm really not even sure which weeks I own. I use those points for other reservations.

so it sounds like I would have to reserve my own dedicated week to be able to use it. is that correct?

I am looking at a few Grandviews. Does the "reserve your dedicated/deeded week" apply to RCI Week units also? How far in advance do I have to reserve?

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
I can't speak for other resort systems, but, for Vacation Village (Grandview, VV Parkview, and others) the deeded week number has a lot of meaning. The week number is used to set a value for how many points are assigned. Higher demand weeks get a higher number of points deposited in RCI. There is a recent thread discussing a revaluation by Vacation Village of the number of points assigned to some of the weeks.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
so it sounds like I would have to reserve my own dedicated week to be able to use it. is that correct?

I am looking at a few Grandviews. Does the "reserve your dedicated/deeded week" apply to RCI Week units also? How far in advance do I have to reserve?

Yes, the benefit of reserving your own week is that there's no exchange fee to book what you own. If you reserve another week at your home resort I believe there's a fee, but not the full exchange fee.

Timing (I think this is accurate):
* book 12-13 months in advance to reserve what you own
* book 11-12 months in advance for other reservations at your home resort
* book 10-11 months in advance for reservations at other resorts in your home group (if applicable)

RCI weeks ownerships (to my knowledge) are not auto-deposited... you have to initiate that. But the earlier you deposit the better your trade value.

AKO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please confirm my understanding below.

So to summarize my understanding (at least for Grandview):

RCI Points - your week is automatically deposited unless you reserve your own week 12+ months in advance.

RCI Weeks - your week is not deposited unless you choose to. The further in advance you deposit the more TPU(points?) your week is worth.

I know there are other differences (inventory an such), but the difference above seems the most important to me. It means that I need to be very proactive in planning to make sure I can use my own unit. It also means that if I am buying a unit that is Points I need to ask if they have reserved the week already (and I can use it), and if it is a Weeks unit I need to ask if they have deposited the unit (to determine if I can use it).

You all have been very helpful and I thank all of you very much. I am glad I a became a member.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Weeks... you will need to request that they deposit your week (not IF they deposited).

Like I mentioned before, this is the case for some resorts (Grandview included) but I recently heard that not all resorts auto-deposit.

Another thing worth noting about Grandview... you can often trade back in - or purchase cash vacations - for close to, or maybe less than, your maintenence fees + exchange fees. Still worth owning in RCI Points to me.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
- Points membership gives you access to Weeks inventory (Weeks membership does NOT give access to Points inventory)

This is not universally true. There are some resorts (a few dozen) that only show up in weeks and never in points and can't be booked there. For example, Solaz (DC01) was only in weeks, but had the mysterious closure recently. Also, Residences at Hacienda Encantada (DU67) is only in weeks for Platinum members under priority access when inventory is available. I'm not sure what the reason for this is, but it may be related to the lack of a listing in the RCI Points Values Chart for those resorts. I haven't actually tried to cross-book with my points account, but doubt that a representative on the phone would be able to do so without a designated point value for the resort.

Jodyv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Recently participated in a sales presentation at the Grandview. (was staying at The Cliffs, Las Vegas, also Vacation Village Resorts). Their final offer to me was to convert my weeks contract to a points contract for 2500.00. I think RCI charges about 200.00. Pretty glad I didn't consider it!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
This is not universally true. There are some resorts (a few dozen) that only show up in weeks and never in points and can't be booked there. For example, Solaz (DC01) was only in weeks, but had the mysterious closure recently. Also, Residences at Hacienda Encantada (DU67) is only in weeks for Platinum members under priority access when inventory is available. I'm not sure what the reason for this is, but it may be related to the lack of a listing in the RCI Points Values Chart for those resorts. I haven't actually tried to cross-book with my points account, but doubt that a representative on the phone would be able to do so without a designated point value for the resort.
My points account doesn't show me a lot of things that I only see in my weeks account but if I call or do chat most are available to points but for whatever reason (a glitch or purposeful) you wouldn't know about the availability if you didn't have both or called or chatted each time.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
My points account doesn't show me a lot of things that I only see in my weeks account but if I call or do chat most are available to points but for whatever reason (a glitch or purposeful) you wouldn't know about the availability if you didn't have both or called or chatted each time.

Probably a good time to point out, similar to other online timeshare platforms, the RCI system (weeks and points) is a bit glitchy and the underlying system is a bit lacking in the digital era.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Their final offer to me was to convert my weeks contract to a points contract for 2500.00. I think RCI charges about 200.00. Pretty glad I didn't consider it!

I don't think you can just call RCI and convert a weeks ownership to points with RCI. It has to come from the resort.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score