• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Proposed guidelines for SVO when hosting large private events in common areas

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
What rights, courtesies and considerations are owners and guests owed when an SVO resort elects to host large private events in common areas?

Off-and-on, we’ve been discussing this issue in other threads like this one and this one. Rather than keep picking away at it, I thought I’d post this thread and dedicate it to addressing it head on.

For example, if SVO elects to allow filming of a major motion picture on its grounds, and it concludes that the existing public restroom facilities are inadequate to accommodate the increased demands, can it place port-o-potties around the resort where-ever and when-ever it wants to like it did here, so long as it is only “temporary” and for a “good cause?” If so, who decides how long they can stay and which causes are good?

Even if such placement is only “temporary,” if it is there for the week that a guest just happens to be spending their week there, wouldn’t that guest consider it “permanent” for all intents and purposes to them? (This is where a little thing that I like to call “empathy” comes in handy.) Unless you are the vacationer placed next to the port-o-potty on your one week a year vacation that you have worked hard and saved all year for, is it really OK to consider such placement inconsequential as was done here?

And. . . .What about any money generated or spent to host these events? At a minimum, shouldn’t any costs associated with hosting the event (port-o-potty rental, extra security, etc.) first be taken out of the revenue generated before a particular HOA absorbs the cost? Moreover, if the powers that be elect to close facilities like pools, etc. to allow an event to be hosted, shouldn’t guests be compensated in some way for the inconvenience (like a free breakfast, or free smoothies, free use of the Westin or Sheraton hotel pools whenever one of the villa pools are inaccessible, etc.) and the cost of that compensation paid for by the revenue generated from the event?

Similarly, if everyone at SVO is so star-struck that they let celebrities park their cars and trucks any ol’ place anywhere in the resort, even on the lawn in front of several “ocean view” villas all day, are the guests in those villas just supposed to suck it up for the greater good? And what is that greater good anyway? Allowing the celebrity to not have to walk all the way to the parking lot at the beginning and end of the day? Don’t members of the private party being hosted have to maintain some level of respect and courtesy towards the grounds, resort rules, and guests at the resort?

Based on my limited data gathered from the 3 day film shoot with Clint in January, it appears to me that guests’ rights and enjoyment aren’t even being considered when SVO elects to host some private events in common areas of the resort. So I propose we use this thread to list some guidelines that we, as owners/guests, would like to see followed in the future by the SVO powers that be.

I’ll start:

1. Consider owner/guest use and enjoyment when deciding to do anything related to hosting private events in SVO common areas.

2. Instruct all members of the private party being hosted to honor and respect the rules of the resort, its grounds and guests who are enjoying the resort.

3. No port-o-potties and other support equipment placed/stored in view in recreational common areas. Either force the private party to rent a few villas near the event and have them use those restrooms and store their stuff in the other rooms; or place port-o-potties and other support equipment out-of-sight.

4. No long term parking on any grass by anyone. Load and unload and then move it, buster. This means you too fancypants celebrities.

5. Publish, preferably online, advance notice and a schedule of when common resort facilities will be off limits for use by the private event. In cases where a major facility, like one or more pools, or the bar or main restaurants will be off-limits, provide like compensation to owners/guests (i.e. complementary use of the Westin hotel pools, set-up an impromptu bar in another location and offer the first drink free, etc.)

What else can we think of?

-nodge

Last edited:

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
6. Don't assume owners will be as star struck as the SVO folks who approved the event. Remember: We are the owners! We should be viewed as the VIP guests!

----
PS - Great topic. Nodge, I couldn't agree with you more. :)

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I imagine all the monies made from this rental/party/film shoot went to the HOAs coffers, right? :ignore:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Pat - we are hoping so, and a report from the BOD meeting seems to indicate that.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Pat - we are hoping so, and a report from the BOD meeting seems to indicate that.

That was not the answer I expected.... But if I were staying at the resort that week, I don't know how happy I would be about the inconvenience.

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm unclear about something. Is this guidelines for Starwood Vacation Ownership or for the BOD of SVO resorts?

Isn't the BOD, not SVO, making these decision?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Since the resort is managed by Starwood, and management would implement any guidelines, I'd say the guidelines would be for both the BOD and SVO.

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
Check out the detailed post by Dan about what the BOD decided at the meeting yesterday.
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=857669&postcount=13

It seems to me that the BOD is considering how having filming occur at the resort might affect visitors and is taking measures to minimize any impacts. The BOD did approve filming during the slow period in the spring. It seems like a good idea to me.

Greg

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Call me a pessimist, but I just don't see renting a timeshare to a film production company as being in the economic interest of the HOA or its members.

Assume someone wants to film at WKORV and take over many of its amenities for several days. The WKORV HOA will first need to cut a deal with the WKORVN HOA so the owners/renters/exchangers at WKORV have access to a pool, pool chairs, a hot tub, and the other amenities that the occupants are entitled to have. This payment is necessary to compensate the owners/renters/exchangers at WKORVN whose facilities will be over-used for whatever period the filming occurs. So whatever payment WKORV gets is immediately diluted between two resorts (and this doesn't work at all unless there is an adjacent sister resort or duplicate amenities).

Next, if I were paying $2,400 per year of MF's for a WKORV week, I would feel entitled to compensation from my HOA if I showed up for my vacation week in paradise and found film crews, SUV's, port-a-potties, and noise but had to go to the doubly-crowded resort next door to use the pool, hot tub, BBQ, and lawn chairs. Yes, that is self-centered, but one reason I own at WKORV is that it is paradise. If they pave paradise and put up a parking lot (for at least my week), I didn't get what I bargained for. How much of a rent discount would one require if one knew in advance that the resort was going to be taken over by a film crew to the detriment of its owners? Calculating this diminution in value is difficult, but 50% would be a fair starting point. This rebate would have to go to all owners-in-residence and renters for the week (perhaps not exchangers).

Finally, there is the wear and tear on the resort. Additional cost to the HOA. What is the net profit after all of this is paid? I suspect not very much.

Who is the winner? Easy -- Starwood. Starwood may or may not get name recognition in the final film, but will absolutely get lots of nice photos and stories to be used in future marketing of its timeshares. Starwood will also get "administrative fees" for everything from negotiating the contract, providing services to the production company, and repairing the damage afterwards. Finally, Starwood will get most of the profits from any rooms rented by the production company.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I'm of two minds about this. First and foremost, any relief we can get for our HOA fees would be welcomed. And the impact to me, personally, would be minimal because I spend most of my day out and about.

But I can definitely see how this could be a major pain for anyone who's booked that week and who'd like to use the pool, etc. when the production crew is using it.

I think that folks who are inconvenienced should be offered up some sort of compensation -- perhaps a room upgrade or a restaurant credit. After all, we are paying a pretty penny to stay there.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the detailed explanation of the balancing contemplated by the HOA board as set forth in the link contained in Greg's post. Given the thought that seems to be going into the negotiations, I think the HOA board is striking a wise and proper balance.

Notices of closures will be given and no duplicated amenity (like a pool) will be completely unavailable at any time. Here's what has been posted:

"The production company is looking at Sheraton Waikiki and KORN. Greg has put together a proposal for them. He was very clear that they would look to monimize the impact on guests. They would give notice of what was being closed when so folks could plan ahead. They would make sure similar facilities were available if the film crew was using one. For instance, 1 hot tub would always be open. If the film was at the lower pool, the upper pool would be open, or the South pool would be open. The pirate ship would be not be used since that is a unique feature that cannot be replaced if a guest wants to use it. Given we have pool closing from kids getting sick in the pool, being bumped next door up to the other end for a few hours seems pretty normal"

Additional revenue for the WKORV association is something that has been demanded here by many TUG members. $500K is a lot of additional revenue.

As for the assertion: "it appears to me that guests’ rights and enjoyment aren’t even being considered when SVO elects to host some private events in common areas of the resort." That assertion, even if once true about "Dirty Harry" and his truck, seems no longer to be true based upon the detailed explanation of WKORV's position in the link contained in Greg's post. ... eom

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
IAs for the assertion: "it appears to me that guests’ rights and enjoyment aren’t even being considered when SVO elects to host some private events in common areas of the resort." That assertion, even if once true about "Dirty Harry" and his truck, seems no longer to be true based upon the detailed explanation of WKORV's position in the link contained in Greg's post. ... eom

After all is said and done, a lot more is said than done.

Just because members of the HOA SAY homeowners’ interests will be protected, doesn’t necessarily mean that they actually will. Rather, Clint’s SUV and the ocean front port-o-potties on the grounds only last month suggest just the opposite. It’s all about enforcement.

To deal with this issue, I propose the following additional rule:

7. The HOA shall hire a non-star struck grumpy ol’ fart to act as an enforcer of the resorts’ rules and policies.

I’m thinking the HOA should hire a former actor for the job to ensure he doesn’t get all caught up in the celebrity frenzy. Anyone know what “Fish” from Barney Miller is up to these days? He’d be perfect for the job, and maybe he needs the work.

-nodge

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
7. The HOA shall hire a non-star struck grumpy ol’ fart to act as an enforcer of the resorts’ rules and policies.

The OBVIOUS choice is Ms. Grinch - DeniseM! :D

They don't even have to pay me - all I need is an ocean front unit permanently assigned to me. I can start tomorrow! I've got the teacher's voice, the teacher's look that can kill at 20 paces..... no problemo!

"Clint - make my day!" :rofl:

Last edited:

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
The movie filming has been approved by the HOA. I don't think a contact with the movie makers has been signed yet. I believe that WKORV is only one of several resorts they are considering. But remember that along with filming at the resort, they will also be renting many rooms (about 60 I was told). That is during the very slow season (April and May) when the resort has about 600 rooms it needs to rent. So getting 60 rooms rented in one group is a benefit to the resort. I suppose if someone wants to find fault with this, they could be mad that the resort was full when they came, if they were expecting it to be empty. :shrug:

Greg

sjlola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF EYx5, 5* Elite
I was pretty mad about the proposed filming until my husband reported back from the BOD meeting. I think the combination of the guidelines the board outlined for making sure the guests aren't being denied use of the amenities(see Greg's link a few posts above to my husband's post),the HOA will be well compensated, rooms will be rented in a potentially slow season and the restaurants will make additional revenue during times they aren't normally open, I've become much more in favor of this. However, if I were staying here during a filming and felt guests were in any way being inconvenienced, I would complain to the G.M. immediately.

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
they will also be renting many rooms (about 60 I was told). That is during the very slow season (April and May) when the resort has about 600 rooms it needs to rent. So getting 60 rooms rented in one group is a benefit to the resort.

I know the board summary said the rental revenue would go to the association, but I have to question whether this is correct. Remember, all the weeks are owned by someone. Starwood should get 100% of the revenue from weeks they own and those they exchange for SPG points. The association should only be getting rental revenue from delinquent weeks and their net on those is subject to the management agreement. It's also not obvious why the HOA's weeks should necessarily be those for the "slow period".

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
The rental of units to the movie would probably not result in direct revenue to the HOA. That said, I think it is in all owners interests that the resort be as fully occupied as possible. If the resort is underutilized, then SW will not be able to keep the restaurants and other services open and we all lose.

However, as I understand it, besides renting rooms, the movie company will pay a fee to use the resort for the filming. That is where the HOA makes it's money. And it is a sizable chunk, at that.

Greg

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
The rental of units to the movie would probably not result in direct revenue to the HOA.

The 2 main reasons Greg thinks this is a good proposal for the property. 1-The crew will be renting rooms during the low season (apx 60 rooms, while Greg said he has 600 rooms to fill during that season) and the crew wants breakfast and lunch every day, and the hotel restaurant isn't open for those meals, so it will be no impact to guests and put money into the restaurant. Overall, Greg thinks this could put up to $500K into the ASSOCIATION's pocket beyond what the restaurant makes. And this is the SLOW season, so its a good time.

As I said earlier, I'm not convinced that the HOA will be getting a lot of revenue from room rentals. Unfortunately, Dan got exactly the opposite impression at the board meeting. Any chance the board didn't understand or explain the facts?

However, as I understand it, besides renting rooms, the movie company will pay a fee to use the resort for the filming. That is where the HOA makes it's money. And it is a sizable chunk, at that.

If the HOA gets a lot of money for the site fee, that's great. However, remember Starwood definitely has a conflict of interest if they are negotiating a package which includes room rentals for which they get 100% and site fees for which they get 0%.

That said, I think it is in all owners interests that the resort be as fully occupied as possible. If the resort is underutilized, then SW will not be able to keep the restaurants and other services open and we all lose.

I'm not sure I agree with this. BTW, do the restaurants really close during low occupancy times?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
BTW, do the restaurants really close during low occupancy times?

Last week, Pulehu (the Italian restaurant at WKORV-N) was only open for dinner Thur-Sun. It seems the website also shows this, so perhaps this is their year-round schedule now. I remember when it was open for breakfast, as well (before it changed to Italian).

http://www.westinkaanapali.com/pulehu.htm