• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should I jump in and buy? (Wyndham)

jmpellet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been contemplating the purchase of a timeshare and I think, based on this wonderful information you all share(!), I would be best to look at some points in the Wyndham family. We live in MA but like to go to Orlando -- have three young children who are 7, 6, and 4. I'm sure at some point Orlando won't be our destination of choice. We are limited to school vacations now and like the beach, hiking, everything! I feel like a fixed week or even a floating week won't work well for us and I'll be worried we won't use it.

So, it leads me to Bentley Brook -- about 3 hours from where I live. With gas prices, I worry that flying will just not be like it's been in the recent years. Poconos is about 4 hours, and Newport (which I probably wouldn't do) is just 45 minutes. When I look on ebay I see points for Bentley, like 145,000 annually, but a prime week costs more like 189,000 points. Not that I would go to this home resort every time but would this equate to a non-red week in traditional terms? Also, some of the other Wyndham properties on ebay show 300,000 or more points. Does that mean my "measly" 145,000 points won't get me to say Bonnett Creek or is there some other equation factor?

Sorry for so many questions -- I am really green (although I've read a lot on tug).

saf512

TUG Member
Reaction score
We purchased our 168 K (Smokey Mountain) points at the beginning of the year. We have already had the chance to enjoy it at Bonnet Creek. We were short 56 K points for a 2 bedroom, so we rented from a VIP owner. There seems to be alot of possibilities with the point system. Next April (2009) we have a 2 bedroom booked for the 7 nights again at Bonnet Creek and that will only cost us 112K points. It is concidered low season.

If you are going to be traveling in high season all the time then I would think you may need more points. But don't forget, you can always rent points from another owner whether you are an owner or not.
Good luck with your decision,
Sandra

emc002

Reaction score
I'm in th exact same boat as you, leaning towards Wyndham as a first purchase and wondering how many points I'll need for what I'll want to do.
Family of five as well (5, 3 & 2).
My experience is almost nil with my parents owning a Premium Week at Ridge Sierra in Tahoe and going there every year.

I'm close to Wyndham South Shore so I'd like to buy there, but I'd also use Durango and San Diego pretty regularly.
I did find a link here that listed the points required for all Wyndham resorts that was helpful in determining the bare minimum I'd need.
I'll piggyback on your thread if you don't mind to see what sort of advice you get!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I luv my Wyndham points ... I understand the need to drive when you buy a slew of plane tickets. My sis has decided to DRIVE from D.C. area to WY next year. The two western national park trip (already booked) with the husband and kids has evolved into a 4 week driving trip for her and the kids w/husband flying in for the middle. Her oldest will have his license and relatives will be visited (free housing). It is a good thing Blockbuster is nationwide:D and I am NOT going:hysterical: .

And most of the Wyndham resorts are so kid friendly (maybe not Grand Desert, as they hand out FREE adult DRINKs).

Wyndham has a lot of FIXED weeks and converted to POINTS fixed weeks in their older (and purchased resorts). Unconverted fixed weeks can be too expensive to convert to points (check for the many threads on this topic); converted fixed weeks have a ARP only the underlining week (ie buy 154,000 points converted from week 39 at GREAT SUMMER RESORT has an ARP of that Fall week 39, plus almost all those old owners of those GSR weeks NEVER would convert as they already have the BEST time to go). Myrtle Beach Westwinds was a fixed week resort, is an example of this. Sea Gardens in Pompano has fixed winter week owners (including me) ... I have a nice view, no FSP fees, newest BLDG, and early Feb. - absolutely no reason to spend money to convert.

Keep looking and learning. Points still seem to be going down. Buy a big point package to save on multiple closing costs. And buy smart. You will know what is right as you learn MORE.

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to both of you. I will guess for now, you will be looking for 2 BD. Buy something the MF is within your comfortable level that is less than you will willing to spend for 1 week vacation, and enough points for the places you will most likely be there during prime time. Or at least be able to cover 2 BD prime time in your home resort. ( Actually, 1 BD is enough since that is what you may enjoy when your kids grow old enough)

Point is point, has no trading power. Call in at the time the inventory is open, then you will get it.

I don't usually see resale on South Shore and San Diego. But I don't check resale that frequently. Also San Diego is all Stdio. But Wyndham will going to open San Fransico resort.

Make sure you do use them before you buy more points. By then, you should be able to know how many trip you want to take from these points per year, and how many points you plan to own. For most family that can fit 1 BD, I would guess it is around 160K. For 2 BD, it is around 250k for all the vacation need. Remember, there will be time when you want to take different vacation route, and time you may not be able to take vacation, so don't buy too much unless you figure out how you want to do with this situations.

Jya-Ning

jmpellet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great information so far and the welcome! I did take a peek at the Wyndham site that listed the point requirements. We stayed at Horizons and Vistana Villages last month (timeshare promos) and I know we definitely need, or rather would want, the 2 bedroom. It seems like a prime time 2 bed at Bonnet creek will be more than the 150k I see on many ebay listings.

If I were to purchase the 150k now and then purchase another 150k (or other amount) at a later date, do they get combined and do I have to pay MF X 2? I know there would be two closings but if the price was right it might be worth it.

Also, saf512 can you use the remaining balance of points leftover from your Bonnet Creek trip toward somewhere else? How easy is it to buy/rent the balance of points from another owner. I know that DVC owners (i live on disboards) sometimes don't like to break up their points.

Thanks!!

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great information so far and the welcome! I did take a peek at the Wyndham site that listed the point requirements. We stayed at Horizons and Vistana Villages last month (timeshare promos) and I know we definitely need, or rather would want, the 2 bedroom. It seems like a prime time 2 bed at Bonnet creek will be more than the 150k I see on many ebay listings.

If I were to purchase the 150k now and then purchase another 150k (or other amount) at a later date, do they get combined and do I have to pay MF X 2? I know there would be two closings but if the price was right it might be worth it.

Yes. You will pay more fees on more points. But its not more per point only the total points x the fee (at the same home resort). Our first week was 126,000 points to which we added another 126,000 later. The total 252,000 annula has been enough for us for over 10 years and we always get the resort/time/unit size we request with just a small amount of pre-planning OR waiting until the 2-4 month mark.

Also, saf512 can you use the remaining balance of points leftover from your Bonnet Creek trip toward somewhere else? How easy is it to buy/rent the balance of points from another owner. I know that DVC owners (i live on disboards) sometimes don't like to break up their points.

Thanks!!

A point is a point. If you don't use it in transaction 1 it has the exact same value for transaction 2. Very easy yo rent any points you need to fill out a request either from an owner or from Wyndham (they limit the total you can rent - owners don't).

Wyndham is a great system and a super deal at resale prices.

saf512

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is very easy to rent points from another owner. Actually I find it beneficial is some cases because our contact is a platnum owner and he get extras that we don't. ie He will allow us to cancel our transaction within 16 days of check in without penalty. Therefore we have no cancelled points. In some cases, he can also rebook points at 60 days out and save 50% of the points. When he manages to do that, he will share the savings.

From what I've read here, point rental costs $5 to $6 per 1000 points. So, for example, if you need 224000 points to rent Bonnet Creek in prime time but only have 145000, you would need to rent 79000 points. Those extra points would cost you $434.50 (assuming $5.5/1000 points).

When I have needed to rent extra points for a transaction, I have transfered my points into the other owners account and then sent a Money Order for the difference.

Left over points can be used as you wish. They can be used for nightly stays, depositing into RCI or you can simply rent they to another owner.

Don't forget, you do not need to be an owner to rent points at that price. This is why we purchased an EOY account.

Sandra

shorts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Points
Morritts Tortuga Club (9 wks) Grand Cayman
Don't forget, you do not need to be an owner to rent points at that price. This is why we purchased an EOY account.

Sandra

Actually, you do have to be a FSP points owner to rent points from another owner. You must have an account for the points to be transferred to. You can, however, have an owner reserve with his/her points a reservation with a guest certificate charging you an agreed upon amount either as one total or a per point cost.

There is lots of info on Wyndham, including a great primer, that every prospective owner should read at the Wyndham Owners site at http://www.forums.atozed.com/index.php You do have to register at the site, but it is free.

Good luck with your search and future purchase. Wyndham FSP is truly a great value right now at current resale prices.

saf512

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I stand corrected:)
Would there be a benefit to renting as opposed to having an owner make a reservation for us if he/she is charging us the same amount?
I have done it both ways but don't see a difference in the end result. I'm I wrong?
Sandra

jmpellet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everything. I did read the primer once from the Wyndham users group and I think I need a second read through! I've saved it to my desktop.

Now that I am trying to learn more, here are a few more questions (tell me when you are tired of me asking!):

So if I really want to trade into a lot of resorts that are in the 200k+ range per prime week, wouldn't it be better for me to purchase that to begin with. It seems like it will cost about $400 to $500 each time I rent points from someone.

Should I concentrate my search on a home resort that has always been points-based? I think I read that those that have many people with prime fixed weeks can find difficulty getting availability at their home resort.

Would it be "bad" or not recommended to own at Bonnet Creek or anywhere else in FL? Is there such a glut of TS in Orlando that I would have a hard time trading since no one would want my points?

Thanks,
Jo-Ann

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
So if I really want to trade into a lot of resorts that are in the 200k+ range per prime week, wouldn't it be better for me to purchase that to begin with. It seems like it will cost about $400 to $500 each time I rent points from someone.
If that is what you feel comfortable, and does not matter if you will like the system or not, than yes, you should own 200k+ points.

You could also buy 154k (for example) and treat it to get 2 weeks out of every 3 year type of deal.

Should I concentrate my search on a home resort that has always been points-based? I think I read that those that have many people with prime fixed weeks can find difficulty getting availability at their home resort.

For your first one, maybe better looking for point base only resort. After you get more idea how the system works, and how to tell from good deal/bad deal, than you can look at other alternative. JMHO.

Would it be "bad" or not recommended to own at Bonnet Creek or anywhere else in FL? Is there such a glut of TS in Orlando that I would have a hard time trading since no one would want my points?
Jo-Ann

In point, there is no trading power issue as to where you own. If you like to be owner of a specific resort, and MF is within range you think is reasonable, and you do plan to be in that resort often, than own it.

Most of people will want to own that has lowest MF. However, personally, I believe that requires change of your profile every few years, and that is a lot of work for me when thinking about vacation.

Jya-Ning

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
154,000pts is a good starting point and the price seems good. Also note if you want to go to Orlando (a highly populated TS location) you can always bank a 28K week with RCI by calling Wyndam and telling them you want to deposit a 28K week. Then use that RCI deposit for Orlando (you can usually get a 2 bedroom with no problem at many nice resorts there) then add on 2 days at Bonnet Creek if you like. That will leave you over 100K points for possibly 1 or 2 mini vacations.

With 154K points you can get up to 4 weeks with RCI if you bank your week and do an ongoing search a year in advance, and use the TUG sightings board to snag bulk deposits to use your 28K weeks for.

Or you can use your 154K within Wyndam or split it up between Wyndam and RCI.

Good luck on your purchase. If you purchase at Bentley this deal seems pretty good.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Welcome to both of you. I will guess for now, you will be looking for 2 BD. Buy something the MF is within your comfortable level that is less than you will willing to spend for 1 week vacation, and enough points for the places you will most likely be there during prime time. Or at least be able to cover 2 BD prime time in your home resort. ( Actually, 1 BD is enough since that is what you may enjoy when your kids grow old enough)

Point is point, has no trading power. Call in at the time the inventory is open, then you will get it.

I don't usually see resale on South Shore and San Diego. But I don't check resale that frequently. Also San Diego is all Stdio. But Wyndham will going to open San Fransico resort.

Jya-Ning

Jya-Ning...Hello! Where in San Fran will the Wyn resort be, and what's the timeline for opening it for bookings?

Hope you're enjoying your summer,

Carol :wave:

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Carol:

I do have a good summer time. With a lot of family get together. Thanks. Hopefully you have good time also. :wave:

The San Fransico is a rebuilt from a old hotel. I believe they tear down all the interior, should be very good location.

You can check it at
https://www.wyndhamvacationresorts.com/ffr/resort/futureresortlocations.go#sanfran

Look like it is fall 2009. But the opening usually depends on city give out the license, and it may have delay or sort.

Jya-Ning

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the hotel was called Canterbury Hotel, they pay somewhere in $40 M to buy it, then knck off all the rooms and build stdio, 1 BD and President suit.

Not sure, but this probably is the address
750 Sutter Street, 94109, San Francisco, USA

Jya-Ning