• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SWA’s personal item policy - stupid is as stupid does

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently flew SWA’s on a short flight between Wichita KS and Denver to save making a 5 hour derive for a short 4 night trip. My wife and I have learned the Rick Steves approach to baggage, getting everything down to an under seat bag and a carry on. My wife keeps all her personal information in a passport carrier around her neck for easy access.

On the flight home from Denver, as my wife was boarding the flight, the gate agent told her her passport holder counted as a carry on and must be condensed into her other carry on bags. IOW, her passport holder worn like a large neck less around her neck was now considered a piece of carry on luggage. Talk about a Barney Fife moment.

Rather than debate the finer points of government regulations and what was considered a “personal” item, she simply put it in a side pocket of her under seat bag and boarders the flight, only to take it out of the side pocket and return it to its original spot around her neck. Made no sense to either of us and, with all the negative press around SWA’s at the moment, certainly didn’t endear us to their customer service.

FWIW, the flight out 4 days before was uneventful. The gate agent said nothing about her passport holder.
Stupid is stupid.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember when Delta used to sell sandwiches from a bin on the jetway. Apparently, those didn't count.
-------------------
Once, when passing thru security in Amsterdam, the agent told me that he had to confiscate my bag filled with boxes of Belgian chocolates. After my jaw dropped, he grinned and said, "Just joking," The gate agent said nothing about them, even though I had a another carry-on.
True incident that happened in Amsterdam at the airport over a decade ago. We have just finish a cruise headed to back to Philadelphia,PA. I had my black TravelPro carryon luggage, went thru security at the airport, no problems.

When we arrived in Philadelphia and security was checking my luggage they found my large toothpaste that was over the weight limit in my carryon luggage . I was asked how did I passed thru security with the item. TSA, took the toothpaste and threw it in trash bin. The TSA agents where not smiling. TSA, stated that item should been confiscated in Amsterdam.

I forgot to place that large toothpaste in my check luggage.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Tell that to the American gate agent in Dallas who insisted my purchased food bag was a personal item. Luckily, the person behind me in line carried the bag on for me because he didn't have two items.

I asked a friend of mine who is a senior AA flight attendant, and he said this is not policy. If it happens again, you should dispute it and ask for a supervisor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Sorry, this is a duplicate

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I asked a friend of mine who is a senior AA flight attendant, and he said this is not policy. If it happens again, you should dispute it and ask for a supervisor.

It’s a lot easier to comply with the gate agents instructions (which is the law), board the plane and file a complaint later. I have no desire to end up on a Tic Toc video as one of those people who get into an argument with a gate agent, get led away by airport security and end up fighting being in a no fly list.

Some things are worth it. This wasn’t one of them.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
It’s a lot easier to comply with the gate agents instructions (which is the law), board the plane and file a complaint later. I have no desire to end up on a Tic Toc video as one of those people who get into an argument with a gate agent, get led away by airport security and end up fighting being in a no fly list.

Some things are worth it. This wasn’t one of them.

Of course. Just passing on what I was told. Of course you do have the ability to record the gate agents name and follow up. AA needs to be held accountable.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
The offending airline was SWA (Southwest).
Ken was referring to my experience with American Airlines. There are gate dragons with every airline and Amtrak who enjoy enforcing their own rules to demonstrate their authority.