• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What covered in travel insurance?

B

bakerdvd

Hello friends,
Next I want to make trip with my family. So I want to buy travel insurance.
I would like to know about what are current travel insurance exist in the market and which one is the best for my family?

Thanks in advance.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Welcome to TUG! :hi:

At the top of this board there is an article about travel insurance that you will find helpful.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Each policy is different so you really need to closely read the T&Cs before signing up. For instance, one policy will pay for Medvac services, but only if you use their preferred providers. So it pays to know your policy, just in case.

javabean

TUG Member
Reaction score
I made a decision last year to always purchase travel insurance. That being said, check the fine print of your credit card agreement. Some aspects of insurance may already be covered through your credit card company.

Welcome to TUG. Safe travels.

Deb

JMSH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go to your local independent insurance agent and have a discussion with them about it. You as a lay person are probably maybe not the best one to review a contract of insurance. IMHO.

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Be careful of restrictions for pre-exisitng conditions. Some companies won't cover them at all and some will only cover them is you buy the insurance within a certain time of booking your vacation.

Most travel insurance covers travel provider default, but often they have a list of travel providers that they don't cover. Ask before purchasing to be sure the provider you're using will be covered.

A great deal of the travel insurance coverage is for medical. You might already have that coverage through your regular medical insurance.

I researched several companies before booking my latest trip and concluded that every one had so many restrictions that it wasn't worth buying.

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Go to your local independent insurance agent and have a discussion with them about it. You as a lay person are probably maybe not the best one to review a contract of insurance. IMHO.

Normally this would be good advice but Insurance agents, in general, know very little about travel ins. I'm an Ins. agent (life, health, disability) and I don't even sell travel ins. Most P&C agents that I know don't either. It's a specialized field and most of the companies that do sell it are listed on the main page of this forum. Study the fine print. There is only one, maybe two, that reimburse maintenance fees. Buyer beware. :)

B

bakerdvd

Travel insurance

Hello friends,
Thanks for so kindly reply.
I am asking about ideal insurance policy for my family. But as you say terms and conditions are change by policy by policy. So I have to deeply find out the best insurance policy. mean while you can also suggest me the ideal policy. which is really made for family.
Thanks again.

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Without intimate knowledge of your family and their specific requirements it is impossible to provide meaningful assistance in this area. It's a bit like saying "I want a car, which one is best". The only advice is to detail your requirements, then do a search for travel insurance policies to see which best fits your purpose.
I don't know if there are any US sites which do comparisons of insurance offerings. I'm sure others will be able to point you in that direction if they do exist.

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If American Express is an option for you, call and ask about their coverage. We have their rental car coverage but my husband has sent away for some info on their travel insurance coverage. Their rental car coverage is PRIMARY and only costs about $20 total for up to a 45 day rental (versus CDW for $20 a day at the rental car place!) The only problem is, once you sign up and use your card the insurance gets added on. Might not be good for one or two day rentals (or, on the other hand, could be REALLY GOOD). When we went cruising once we were able to look at several levels of coverage and compare them but I don't recall the carrier.:whoopie:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Folks, I hate to break the news to you, but this guy is getting ready to spam TUG.....and these posts are just the set up.

See his other post

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
For those of you truly interested in comparing different travel insurance policies, I'd recommend going to http://www.insuremytrip.com as it has quite a few different companies, and the "compare" function on that website lets you know what each policy offers as against the others.