• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WorldMark Canmore - ski trip

tomvc

TUG Member
Reaction score
First trip to Canadian Rockies. Do you recommend WorldMark Canmore as a base to ski Banff and Kicking Horse Mountain Resort? Currently have Epic Pass, but thinking of adding Ikon or Mountain Collective for the trip. How are the road conditions in the winter (currently showing ~40 minute drive)?

Which mountains do you recommend for skiing and snowboarding and where would you stay to ski/board there?

Thanks!

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am considering a trip her in April. Is there a bus that runs from town to the ski resorts?

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Canmore is a great base for a ski trip to Sunshine or Lake Louise and even Nakiska ski areas. Because the first 2 are in a national park there is almost no on mountain accomodation. Your drive will be likely 30 minutes to Sunshine and an hour to Lake Louise but it isn't saving you much time if you stay in Banff. I think it is way too far away from Kicking Horse and I certainly wouldn't want to do the mountain passes for that trip. Stay in Golden or go to Revelstoke. Road conditions from the Calgary to Lake Louise corridor are generally very good. My husband goes boarding every weekend from Calgary and rarely has a problem.

I'm quite sure there is a bus from hotels in Banff but there isn't one from the WM in Canmore. I recommend having a car.

tomvc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, @Tacoma. I meant to paste in Nakiska Ski Area instead of Kicking Horse Mountain Resort on my original post. Both are on Epic Pass and I was using Googe Maps to see how far they are from Worldmark.

@Carlsbadguy In my research so far, I found two shuttles from Coast Canmore Hotel (about a 10 min from Worldmark). Unless parking is really bad near the mountains, I'll most likely drive.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is ample parking for Sunshine and Lake Louise if you arrive at a reasonable time. Weekdays would likely never be a problem except perhaps at Christmas vacation times. Weekends I would try to arrive before 9 or 10 at the absolute latest. My husband regularly arrives before the lifts open for 2 reasons, one he wakes up early always and he is a first run of the day person to get the powder. On powder days there is a significant sized group who are at the resorts bright and early, if there has been no new snow you can go later.

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sunshine Village is my go to for skiing in the area. Nothing better on a bluebird day. Divide chair is great for nice longer runs with a couple groomers and offpiste. Tipi town lift is great for powder since they put in the new lift. Goat's eye side is great in the afternoon if they've had snow - if not, it's super icy.

Lake Louise front side has lots of groomed runs, with the women's world cup nice to just fly down. Backside of Louise is bumps and lots of pow and tree skiing

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
First trip to Canadian Rockies. Do you recommend WorldMark Canmore as a base to ski Banff and Kicking Horse Mountain Resort?

Thanks!
Canmore has lots of timeshare resorts (WM, Grand Canadian, Paradise, Sunset Resorts, Elkhorn, etc) and Banff has the Rocky Mountain. You didn't say how you're planning to book or if you're exchanging in. You'll have more options for sure in Canmore and if you're exchanging, II would have more availability. Not sure when you're looking to go.but there's availability in II for Jan/Feb/Mar and has had it for some time (outside of the Feb holiday and Mar spring breaks).

For ski passes, if you're planning on Sunshine and Louise as your main resorts, you may want to consider the Sunshine Card or the Louise+ Card, both give you 1st, 4th and 7th days free. You can also buy discounted lift tickets for both the ski hills at Costco in two-packs. Those are probably your best bang for the buck short of being a season ticket holder.

tomvc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, @djyamyam ! I haven't booked yet, but looking at an Exchange or Getaway/Extra Vacation on II and RCI for late Jan to early March timeframe. Thanks for the tips to check out the local mountain passes and Costco.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the Ikon pass so gives me 7 days total at Sunshine and Lake Louise. I was looking at an exchange thru II at the Grand Canadian or Paradise Resort. There also a resort at Panorama that looks nice but seems like that would be a very long drive from the Calgary Airport. Have stayed at Banff Rocky Mountain Resort in the summer.
What would be the best time of year to go snow condition and weather wise? Considering the end of March or first week in april when it warms up or is earlier on the season better.

nomadio

TUG Member
Reaction score
End of March/first week of April is a good plan for Sunshine, Lake Louise, Nakiska.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the Ikon pass so gives me 7 days total at Sunshine and Lake Louise. I was looking at an exchange thru II at the Grand Canadian or Paradise Resort. There also a resort at Panorama that looks nice but seems like that would be a very long drive from the Calgary Airport. Have stayed at Banff Rocky Mountain Resort in the summer.
What would be the best time of year to go snow condition and weather wise? Considering the end of March or first week in april when it warms up or is earlier on the season better.

Last week of March is spring break in Calgary. The slopes will be much, much busier that week than the first week of April.