• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ongoing Sales Incentive - Enrolling Post-6/20/10 Weeks [MERGED]

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Why would anyone want to enroll their weeks and not want to keep the points they purchased? The only scenario I can think of is if you have enough points for Chairman's level and that makes you happy! (and you dont need or want all the superfluous points--- and don't want to pay yearly fees for them)

That because he has so many weeks, he doesn't need the points as it actually increases his costs to stay. His purpose is not enroll to use it to convert weeks to points but to cover exchange fees as he does that many exchanges and lock offs, that he would come out ahead after 4-5 years.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
That because he has so many weeks, he doesn't need the points as it actually increases his costs to stay. His purpose is not enroll to use it to convert weeks to points but to cover exchange fees as he does that many exchanges and lock offs, that he would come out ahead after 4-5 years.
I am still waiting for the day that they will enroll all my mvc weeks for a purchase of points.

Btw i just picked up a grand chateau eoy even for $640. I didnt want anymore but just couldnt resist at that price. Hope it passes rofr.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am still waiting for the day that they will enroll all my mvc weeks for a purchase of points.

Btw i just picked up a grand chateau eoy even for $640. I didnt want anymore but just couldnt resist at that price. Hope it passes rofr.

1 bed or 2?

My record low GC Week was 405 including closing for a 1bed EOY.

Someone mentioned on another thread that Marriott have stopped exercising on EOY ROFR.

Colm

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
It was for a 2br plat. Are there gold weeks at grand chateau?

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)

Another one ? Lol how many more do you need ?

Papillon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond resort
Did you buy your Marriott timeshare after 1999?

I have been contacted by a company that said if I bought after 1999 then I can sell my timeshare for the full value I paid for it , under the Spanish property law, has anyone else been approached about this? And if so what was the outcome?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
absolute horsepuckey

Papillon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond resort
What I have been told that it’s the resorts that has to buy it back from me or at least give me a full refund, this is based on the fact that I paid for my week within the first 3 months of signing the contracts which is against the property law that timeshare is now under.

Sounds great to me but I am not sure

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like pure bull hockey but if you bought it in Spain, I'd listen to the spiel if for no other reason but to understand the scam. But the conversation would end the minute they asked me to send anyone money to anyone.

George

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wouldn’t a great perk of being at one of the highest levels in the program , to be able to sell your entire portfolio and that the buyer would assume your rank without any junk fees ? It would incentivize Owners to aspire to these higher levels Imagine what it would do to your resale price you could ask !

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
This is from the independent UK Timeshare Consumer Association.
It explains the background and options available to owners affeted by this.
I am not interested in selling my Spanish timeshares, but this may be helpful to those who do.
https://www.timeshareconsumerassoci...-buy-that-timeshare-before-5-of-january-1999/

Thanks for that, Barry. I can't remember ever reading about it on TUG but it definitely seems to be something that's unique to the owners/members of Spain timeshares, and something worth looking into.

The 2015 link is from the Timeshare Consumer Association. Do you know if they're reputable and would you suggest that Papillon start with them to gather information (rather than with whatever org apparently contacted him unsolicited?)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What I have been told that it’s the resorts that has to buy it back from me or at least give me a full refund, this is based on the fact that I paid for my week within the first 3 months of signing the contracts which is against the property law that timeshare is now under.

Sounds great to me but I am not sure
If it is true, you can contact the resort directly without going through whoever who contacted you.

Papillon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond resort
After doing a bit on Google I have found another company in the U.K who say they deal with this, I phoned them and they say that you have to go though a process of legal loopholes but they have already got over 150 Refunds, they are sending me all the details to read, but looks like it could be real.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
After doing a bit on Google I have found another company in the U.K who say they deal with this, I phoned them and they say that you have to go though a process of legal loopholes but they have already got over 150 Refunds, they are sending me all the details to read, but looks like it could be real.

Whatever you're considering, be aware of the info and warnings that are in the link posted by Barry:

"... The charges are very competitive at the moment so don’t sign anything, don’t commit to any commission until you have considered matters fully. If you are invited to a presentation there is no need to go to one as pressure may be placed on you to go with them and them alone. Presentations and salesmen cost money. If you attend one and sign up with them, you will be paying for the selling, the advertising and the other costs incurred by them for the many abortive presentations. ..."

If this were me I'd be waiting on Barry's opinion, if he has one, about the org who provided the link as well as what your next steps should be. I wouldn't be searching on the internet for firms to help, yet, because apparently there are many who are taking advantage. :)

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wouldn’t a great perk of being at one of the highest levels in the program , to be able to sell your entire portfolio and that the buyer would assume your rank without any junk fees ? It would incentivize Owners to aspire to these higher levels Imagine what it would do to your resale price you could ask !

You may as well ask, "wouldn't it be great if MVW would just run their business with no thought for its shareholders and all consideration given to as little or no fees for its owners/members?"

Yes, that's sarcasm, but no I don't think that what you propose would be great. There are already usage perks and benefits afforded to those who hold higher status via ownership/membership, which don't cut into the company's admin costs or profit margins. Those are enough for me.

Last edited:

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have followed "Insidetimeshare.com" for the last few years. They reports quite a bit on the Spanish timeshare litigation and the main players. Note: there are a lot of scams and bogus players in the Spanish scene. One of the companies (legal entities) that has had success in the Spanish courts is the CLA - Canarian Legal Alliance. They have had over 100 successful outcomes for clients. I believe they charge an upfront fee, but I have no idea of their contract terms. I would suggest further research on the above mentioned website.

The reason for the Spanish timeshare connection is the fact that the Spanish law changed in 1999. The government outlawed contracts over 50 years (perpetual contracts). Additionally, contracts that included floating weeks or a points system were outlawed. And finally, timeshare companies were banned from accepting monies from a client within 14 days of signing a contract. Many companies ignored these three points, and have had lawsuits filed against them. Most are European timeshare companies, but I believe that Diamond has also been sued. Don't know about Marriott.

Imagine if our Federal government passed such regulations. No points, and no lifetime contracts? Food for thought....:ponder:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
just
Whatever you're considering, be aware of the info and warnings that are in the link posted by Barry:

"... The charges are very competitive at the moment so don’t sign anything, don’t commit to any commission until you have considered matters fully. If you are invited to a presentation there is no need to go to one as pressure may be placed on you to go with them and them alone. Presentations and salesmen cost money. If you attend one and sign up with them, you will be paying for the selling, the advertising and the other costs incurred by them for the many abortive presentations. ..."

If this were me I'd be waiting on Barry's opinion, if he has one, about the org who provided the link as well as what your next steps should be. I wouldn't be searching on the internet for firms to help, yet, because apparently there are many who are taking advantage. :)
Just catching up with the recent posts.
There are many “so called” Lawyers and Legal Companies, especially in Spain, but probably around Europe, who are trying to exploit this situation and are actually scammers claiming all sorts of things to get the hands on your money (just as there are rogue companies associated with all aspects of timeshare)
If it were me, with a reputable company such as MVC, I would
Firstly, do as VacationForever suggested and contact the resort directly just to see what they have to say.
Secondly, contact the UK Timeshare Consumer Association (TCA) as they don’t have anything to gain so should offer fair advice
Thirdly, if you want to proceed, use a company who the TCA might suggest.

Last edited:

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may as well ask, "wouldn't it be great if MVW would just run their business with no thought for its shareholders and all consideration given to as little or no fees for its owners/members?"

Yes, that's sarcasm, but no I don't think that what you propose would be great. There are already usage perks and benefits afforded to those who hold higher status via ownership/membership, which don't cut into the company's admin costs or profit margins. Those are enough for me.
I disagree. Under my scenario, I could sell my interests for multiple times of what it is worth given the current guidelines. It would be an asset easily worth tens of thousands of dollars more in a sale. Chairman level only amounts to about 5% of Owners. MVCI would be fine and their Representatives would have a far easier task in selling Owners higher levels of membership because the value would be retained.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
That's the way it should be.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I disagree. Under my scenario, I could sell my interests for multiple times of what it is worth given the current guidelines. It would be an asset easily worth tens of thousands of dollars more in a sale. Chairman level only amounts to about 5% of Owners. MVCI would be fine and their Representatives would have a far easier task in selling Owners higher levels of membership because the value would be retained.
If there is nothing in it for Marriott when it is resold it just will not happen. In this scenario, Marriott sales office will be put out of business because everyone will simply buy resale.

A better solution would be that Marriott has a buy back program, at say, 50 percent of the original price after 10 years of ownership or something to that effect.

Last edited: