• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using points for hotel

jjags

Reaction score
Hi- We are booked in Mar Brisa in San Diego in October. Could only get 3 nights for the dates we want. Thinking about staying at the Hilton Gas Lamp downtown for the rest of our stay- 3 more nights. Rate is between 240-300 a night plus taxes so I do not feel bad about using HH points for the stay or also was wondering about using my HGVC points as we are not going to have time to use them this year and I might end up rolling them into HH points anyway. Any advantage/disadvantage to booking hotel stay one way or the other.

New around here so any advice helps. Thanks in advance.

JonathanIT

TUG Member
Reaction score
:hi: Welcome to TUG!
Hi- We are booked in Mar Brisa in San Diego in October. Could only get 3 nights for the dates we want. Thinking about staying at the Hilton Gas Lamp downtown for the rest of our stay- 3 more nights. Rate is between 240-300 a night plus taxes so I do not feel bad about using HH points for the stay or also was wondering about using my HGVC points as we are not going to have time to use them this year and I might end up rolling them into HH points anyway. Any advantage/disadvantage to booking hotel stay one way or the other.
I would suggest using HHonors points, if you already have them in your account (see the note below). Booking directly with HGVC points gives a poorer "exchange" rate of HGVC pts=HHonors pts.

For instance the Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter is a Category 6 hotel, so HHonors pts. redemption would be 40K pts/night. Booking direct with HGVC pts would cost 2K HGVC pts/night. Those 2,000 HGVC pts would net you 50K HHonors pts when converted in advance at the going rate of 25:1 (HHonors:HGVC).

So when you think about it, using HGVC pts to book direct with Hilton is like paying 50K HHonors pts/night! Makes a "so-so" to fairly decent use of points value (depending on the property and rates at the time) a much worse value, IMHO.

A note about conversion: I'm not sure if you are aware, but HHonors conversion must be done in advance to get the 25:1 exchange rate (2009 HGVC pts would have had to have been converted by 12/31/08 to use the HHonors pts this year). Current year HGVC points cannot be "rolled" over into HHonors points; the only choices for un-used current year points are to "rescue" them into next year for HGVC use, or to convert to RCI points. See the member guide for more info.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... A note about conversion: I'm not sure if you are aware, but HHonors conversion must be done in advance to get the 25:1 exchange rate (2009 HGVC pts would have had to have been converted by 12/31/08 to use the HHonors pts this year). Current year HGVC points cannot be "rolled" over into HHonors points; the only choices for un-used current year points are to "rescue" them into next year for HGVC use, or to convert to RCI points...

True, BUT you can use current year points to stay at a Hilton hotel by booking thru HGVC call-center. Only, the rate is effectively 20:1. Converting 2K in 2010 HGVC points gets you 50K in HH points, but 2K in 2009 HGVC points are only worth an equivlilent of 40K in HH points.

Last edited:

jjags

Reaction score
Thanks Jonathan. Sounds like my original plan of HH points is good.

One more question. If I rescue my points this year to next and then roll my 2010 to 2011 and it turns out I needed them in 2010 can I borrow back? We have been members for about 2 years now and have not used our yearly points in the given year yet so keep rolling ones over. I am thinking about putting into RCI but am nervous about getting someplace we like at the time we want to go.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks Jonathan. Sounds like my original plan of HH points is good.

One more question. If I rescue my points this year to next and then roll my 2010 to 2011 and it turns out I needed them in 2010 can I borrow back? We have been members for about 2 years now and have not used our yearly points in the given year yet so keep rolling ones over. I am thinking about putting into RCI but am nervous about getting someplace we like at the time we want to go.

THERE ARE THREE TERMS THAT ARE USED by HGVC: DEPOSIT, BORROW and RESCUE.
If you DEPOSIT your 2010 points into 2011, you can BORROW points back as need in 2010.

BRIEF SUMMARY
Your "Home Week window" allows you to reserve one week in the exact unit size and type in the season that you purchased (studio, 1 bedroom plus, etc) for the full week based on the fixed checkin date at your home resort. The Home Week reservation period (12 to 9 months out from check-in) gives you a head-start over owners at other resorts who get to compete for your home resort starting at the 9 month mark ("Club Reservation window").
NOTE: Only points earned in the use year can be used in the home week window. Borrowed, Rescued or Deposited points can not be used in the Home Week window.

DEPOSIT: prior to the beginning of a use year, you carry over next year's points into the following use year.
For example: before the end of 2009, you can deposit your 2010 points into 2011.
FEE - $79 (via phone) or $69 (online)
NOTE: DEPOSITED points may not be carried over beyond one year.

BORROW: you make a reservation using the following year's points or previously Deposited points.
For example: In 2009, you don't have enough 2010 points to make your reservations for a stay in 2010, so you borrow 2011 points to complete it.
NO FEE - COMPLIMENTARY

RESCUE: you rescue any current year points into the next year, they can only be used for HGVC bookings, no RCI, no parters, no HHonors conversion.
For example: in 2009 you realize you will have 2009 points left, you can RESCUE those 2009 points for restricted use in 2010.
NOTE: Previous DEPOSITED or RESCUED points can not RESCUED

Here's another great description of the three options (see below)

While the others did a good job of answering your questions, I'm going to throw in a POV.

RESCUE: Let's say that you're an astronaut and heading for the space station. You leave in less than a month, you'll be gone the rest of this year, so there's no way to use your 2009 points. Sometime b4 12/31, you can call or go online to HGVC (ask NASA to connect you) to save your points for use in 2010 with a "rescue" .

DEPOSIT: Let's say that you're in the reserves and your unit will be spending all of 2010 in Afganistan. Since you won't be around to use your 2010 points, sometime b4 12/31, you can call or go online to HGVC to "deposit" next year's points into 2011.

BORROW: If you ever get time to use your points, you check you wallet and find yourself short a few, you can "borrow" points from the following year's account. The online reservation system makes this almost automatic for you.

Here's a link to a recent discussion regarding leftover points and ongoing strategy - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95391

Last edited:

JonathanIT

TUG Member
Reaction score
True, BUT you can use current year points to stay at a Hilton hotel by booking thru HGVC call-center. Only, the effective rate is effectively 20:1. Converting 2K in 2010 HGVC points gets you 50K in HH points, but 2K in 2009 HGVC points are only worth an equililent of 40K in HH points.
Uh, yeah, kind of like what my whole post was explaining in the first three paragraphs? :confused:

robertr55

TUG Member
Reaction score
THERE ARE THREE TERMS THAT ARE USED by HGVC: DEPOSIT, BORROW and RESCUE.

Thanks for this explanation...as a new about-to-be HGVC owner (going thu escrow), I'd read several explanations about point usage, but I'm now reading them with "greatly renewed interest":D!

JonathanIT

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI another tip: one of the "tricks" that can be used to salvage unused current year points is to make a Hilton hotel reservation with HGVC pts, then cancel within the allowed cancellation period (I think it is pretty generous; for an HHonors award stay it is sometimes even allowed until the day of check-in, but it varies by property).

When the reservation is cancelled, the HHonors points are automatically deposited into your HHonors account (they are converted to HHonors when the reservation is made, so you technically have an HHonors award stay reservation). As was explained (a couple times) the ratio is not as good as if done in advance, but the upside is that the points are not wasted, they do not expire, and there is no "fee" for the conversion!

Last edited:

jjags

Reaction score
Thanks again. Called HGVC and she was able to add another night to San Diego reservation in October. After we do this I will be down to less than 1500 hundred points for 2009. Looking at the West 57th for a midweek stay since NYC is an easy drive for us. Think that will take care of my points this year. Was really pleased to see options for that property open.

Believe we- do not have many points so I do not know why I am so stressed about using them. Do not want anything to go to waste and want to get max value for what we paid for. Some years we like to do all inclusive trips with the kids but I find it hard to justify when we have the points waiting to be used. Think I will take the 2010 and deposit into 2011 so I am not freaking out again.

This website is gold. Going to join tonight!

JonathanIT

TUG Member
Reaction score
After we do this I will be down to less than 1500 hundred points for 2009. Looking at the West 57th for a midweek stay since NYC is an easy drive for us. Think that will take care of my points this year. Was really pleased to see options for that property open.
I've been posting this all over, but West 57th is a GREAT deal right now for your remaining '09 points. Weekdays are 375pts/night, plus the reservation fee (don't pay more than $49 for changeable ressie!) and $85 cleaning fee if less than 4 nights, for a Studio Plus. I have a 4 night stay booked in a couple weeks, I can't wait!

Book before Labor Day, rates go up slightly in Sept., and there's still good availability in August right now.

Note: the one drawback for you is the parking fees are steep at this property! (I think $48/day?) I would research some cheaper garages in Manhattan and park your car offsite for a few days.

Last edited:

Piper

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been posting this all over, but West 57th is a GREAT deal right now for your remaining '09 points. Weekdays are 375pts/night, plus the reservation fee (don't pay more than $49 for changeable ressie!) and $85 cleaning fee if less than 4 nights, for a Studio Plus. I have a 4 night stay booked in a couple weeks, I can't wait!

Book before Labor Day, rates go up slightly in Sept., and there's still good availability in August right now.

Note: the one drawback for you is the parking fees are steep at this property! (I think $48/day?) I would research some cheaper garages in Manhattan and park your car offsite for a few days.

Parking is $48 per day! If you take your car in and out, they charge you an extra $48!!! Many of the garages close by are also run by Central Parking and the fee is the same. I heard that members of MOMA could park in a garage near the Ziegfield Theater (on 54th Street between 6th and 7th) for considerably less. I plan to find out about that for the future. I would rather give the money to MOMA than to the parking lots!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
FYI.... A Tugger recently posted a pretty cool Parking link for NYC. It displays a detailed street map with parking locations - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=763962&postcount=3

Just hover over the parking icons on the street map for more details
Enter your arrival & departure times and it will calculate & display the rates on the map for all parking locations.

Last edited:

dasty10

Reaction score
DEPOSIT: prior to the beginning of a use year, you carry over next year's points into the following use year.
For example: before the end of 2009, you can deposit your 2010 points into 2011.
NOTE: DEPOSITED points may not be carried over beyond one year.

RESCUE: you rescue any current year points into the next year, they can only be used for HGVC bookings, no RCI, no parters, no HHonors conversion.
For example: in 2009 you realize you will have 2009 points left, you can RESCUE those 2009 points for restricted use in 2010.
NOTE: Previous DEPOSITED or RESCUED points can not RESCUED

I am a newbie and have just made a couple of Hilton TS purchases with rescued 2009 (to 2010)points. As a result I have a lot more points in 2010 then I can use. WHile I know I have to use my rescued points first, I have a question I was hoping you can help me on. Shd I deposit some of my 2010 points to 2011 or wait till the end of 2010 to rescue them in to 2011. What is the advantage of depositing VS rescuing them? I know Rescuing can only be used for HGVC bookings but can deposited points be used for Hhonors or RCI as well?
Many thanks.

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score

New around here so any advice helps. Thanks in advance.

You might want to keep checking back to see if more dates open up. I did that for a Dec 2008 trip. I was getting worried because I could not get 2 x 3 bdr for about 5 days each. However, within 60-90 days of my check in rooms and dates started to show up in quantities. My guess, people started to change their minds or the resort started to put some of the inventory back into the system.

Deros

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Should I deposit some of my 2010 points to 2011 or wait till the end of 2010 to rescue them in to 2011. What is the advantage of depositing VS rescuing them? I know Rescuing can only be used for HGVC bookings but can deposited points be used for Hhonors or RCI as well?

Deposited points can be used for just about any purpose that a new year's point-allotment can be used. They cannot be used for Home Week reservations, or carried forward beyond the year in which deposited. They cannot be converted to HHonors points; however, they can be used to reserve hotel stays directly (the effective HH-conversion rate is 20:1). They keep open your options for something other than HGVC reservations.

Last edited:

dasty10

Reaction score
Deposited points can be used for just about any purpose that a new year's point-allotment can be used. They cannot be used for Home Week reservations, or carried forward beyond the year in which deposited. They cannot be converted to HHonors points; however, they can be used to reserve hotel stays directly (the effective HH-conversion rate is 20:1). They keep open your options for something other than HGVC reservations.

Thanks for the explanation, Talent312