• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott DC Trust points on ebay

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
The question of course is what will the new owner be able to do with them, to warrant the annual MF

larue

TUG Member
Reaction score
It has been some time since I have looked at this, but doesn't Marriott reserve the right to charge a pretty high transfer fee for these? Does anyone know how much Marriott is charging to transfer points to a new purchaser and what limits of use Marriott is placing on a secondary purchaser?

McFail

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you read lower in the auction it lists a transfer fee of $1320. Almost a dollar a point.

This could be interesting to watch. My guess is about 4k for this one. A totally wild guess that is. :)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Nope, not the first time, there have been a few threads where we watched specific eBay auctions for Trust Points. But it doesn't appear the buyers were TUGgers so we weren't able to find out if Marriott ROFR'd the auction price, or if the new owners were eventually able to get straight answers from the seller or Marriott about the associated costs and/or actual allowed usage of resale Trust Points.

On the one hand I'd love for a TUGger to "win" one of these auctions so that we could learn the transfer process/costs and find out how strictly the stipulations in the governing docs are applied as far as usage. But on the other, after all the time we've spent dissecting the docs and coming to the conclusion that Marriott didn't do anything to make a resale of Trust Points an attractive ownership option, I'd hate to see a TUGger go though with the sale only to end up saddled with an albatross that offers little to no usage options, high MF's and a bleak resale outlook. This particular auction is for 1,500 Points, annual MF's are currently $615.

{eta} It looks like this auction could be a re-listing of the one we watched in this thread - same seller, same number of Points, similar set-up, etc. Wonder if the seller will say if it's a re-listing and if so, what happened to make the first auction fall through?

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I'll guess $2000. I bid $100 and I'm out of the game already.

I'll go with a $5,000 closing price. My $500 bid didn't last long.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
On the one hand I'd love for a TUGger to "win" one of these auctions so that we could learn the transfer process/costs and find out how strictly the stipulations in the governing docs are applied as far as usage. But on the other, after all the time we've spent dissecting the docs and coming to the conclusion that Marriott didn't do anything to make a resale of Trust Points an attractive ownership option, I'd hate to see a TUGger go though with the sale only to end up saddled with an albatross that offers little to no usage options, high MF's and a bleak resale oulook. This particular auction is for 1,500 Points, annual MF's are currently $615.

I still believe (and I could be mistaken) that these points will have usefulness. I corresponded with the broker periodically on the other auction and he told me that Marriott had communicated to them that the full rights would be transferred to his resale buyer. I just emailed him now (hadn't heard anything since late October when they were still in closing) to see if it was finalized, and will let you know.

I think the bigger issue with this is that if points can be rented for $0.50 - $0.70 per point, why buy them?

Best,

Greg

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I still believe (and I could be mistaken) that these points will have usefulness. I corresponded with the broker periodically on the other auction and he told me that Marriott had communicated to them that the full rights would be transferred to his resale buyer. I just emailed him now (hadn't heard anything since late October when they were still in closing) to see if it was finalized, and will let you know.

I think the bigger issue with this is that if points can be rented for $0.50 - $0.70 per point, why buy them?

Best,

Greg

But that's an age-old timeshare question, isn't it, whether you should buy into the systems or rent from an owner without being burdened by the ownership costs and issues?

I agree, Greg, that even distress Points must have some measure of usage value. But I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig who has to find out the hard way just how much, or more importantly how little, value they actually have.

RBERR1

TUG Member
Reaction score

Best,

Greg

I agree with Greg's last point. Let's say maintenance is 40 cents and you can rent for 50 cents. For you to pay $1 per pt (including the transfer fee and closing cost) would mean you would need 10 years of renting to offset the cost of purchase.

In this case,between the transfer fee and the closing costs you are paying around $1.20 per pt (Approx $1800 /1500 pts). Let's say the auction closes at $1800 which is another $1.20 per pt. Assuming a 50 cent per pt rental rate, it would take 24 years of renting every year before you broke even on your purchase.

larue

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Greg's last point. Let's say maintenance is 40 cents and you can rent for 50 cents. For you to pay $1 per pt (including the transfer fee and closing cost) would mean you would need 10 years of renting to offset the cost of purchase.

In this case,between the transfer fee and the closing costs you are paying around $1.20 per pt (Approx $1800 /1500 pts). Let's say the auction closes at $1800 which is another $1.20 per pt. Assuming a 50 cent per pt rental rate, it would take 24 years of renting every year before you broke even on your purchase.

One reason why I might consider a second market purchase is that it would bring me from premiere to premiere plus in Marriott (unless they restrict combining secondary trust and legacy points to come up with the premiere plus level). I might be willing to consider something like that if I could work out all the other details and know that I could use the points without additional restrictions. I seem to recall speculation regarding a 60 day use limit for secondary market points. Is that applicable here?

larue

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you read lower in the auction it lists a transfer fee of $1320. Almost a dollar a point.

This could be interesting to watch. My guess is about 4k for this one. A totally wild guess that is. :)

I was wondering if that was a Marriott fee or closing costs. I see your point and I think you are right but the auction just specifies that as a generic transfer fee, not necessarily as the Marriott transfer fee. Again, I am going back to much earlier posts but I seem to recall that the Marriott transfer fee was potentially higher than this.

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think a sale like this may be favorable for someone like me who missed the boat. A small resale like this would get me in the system, then I could tent additional points from an owner. Right now there's no way for me to join the club without buying direct.

RBERR1

TUG Member
Reaction score
One reason why I might consider a second market purchase is that it would bring me from premiere to premiere plus in Marriott (unless they restrict combining secondary trust and legacy points to come up with the premiere plus level). I might be willing to consider something like that if I could work out all the other details and know that I could use the points without additional restrictions. I seem to recall speculation regarding a 60 day use limit for secondary market points. Is that applicable here?

I am premier and so far I have found when I was looking to make reservations that I could not do much at the 13 month mark I have not been able to do much because nothing has been moved to the exchange company and so for now I have found status has not added any real value.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
I think a sale like this may be favorable for someone like me who missed the boat. A small resale like this would get me in the system, then I could tent additional points from an owner. Right now there's no way for me to join the club without buying direct.

I think that the lower point package owners will help spur interest in the points rental market as slum808 indicates.Im not sure how many new Trust point owners bought 4000-5000 point packages.Hopefully a lot of these 1500-2000 point owners will be looking to rent points to book prime weeks.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Good point ;) - that's a perspective that hasn't occurred to me.

I am premier and so far I have found when I was looking to make reservations that I could not do much at the 13 month mark I have not been able to do much because nothing has been moved to the exchange company and so for now I have found status has not added any real value.

Agree, the DC hasn't been up and running long enough for Marriott to have gained a foothold on exactly what inventory should be available soonest for the Premier Plus window. But the latest Insider had an interesting perk for marriott.com rentals - 25% off rack rates for Premier and 35% off for Premier Plus owners, with an additional 10% off if you use the Marriott VISA card to pay for the stay. That's not too shabby a perk if you regularly book marriott.com stays, which we do to supplement our timeshare stays or as separate 1- or 2-night getaways.

larue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good point ;) - that's a perspective that hasn't occurred to me.

Agree, the DC hasn't been up and running long enough for Marriott to have gained a foothold on exactly what inventory should be available soonest for the Premier Plus window. But the latest Insider had an interesting perk for marriott.com rentals - 25% off rack rates for Premier and 35% off for Premier Plus owners, with an additional 10% off if you use the Marriott VISA card to pay for the stay. That's not too shabby a perk if you regularly book marriott.com stays, which we do to supplement our timeshare stays or as separate 1- or 2-night getaways.

Interesting deal there is that I called MVC and even though I am Premiere, they gave me the 40% off rate for NCV over Presidents weekend. I did not realize that was limited to Premiere Plus members but the MVC rep said that he was using a code of Y83 and that all it requires is use of your Visa and that ownership status is included in your Marriott Rewards Account number. I suppose I should call back and make sure they are not going to up my rate on arrival!

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Sue- wasn't it 30% + 10% for Premiere owners and 35%+10% for Premiere Plus? I may be remembering wrong though.

I do agree with Greg- I'm guessing that ultimately rights will transfer, because otherwise Marriott will be selling something that has virtually zero resale value (and today's buyers are more savvy than buyers were even 5 years ago, since it is so easy to find out information on the web); like Sue, though, I'm reticent to be the guinea pig, because not only are we talking about the purchase cost, I don't want to be saddled with annual MF's for something that turns out to be a mistake to purchase in the first place.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Interesting deal there is that I called MVC and even though I am Premiere, they gave me the 40% off rate for NCV over Presidents weekend. I did not realize that was limited to Premiere Plus members but the MVC rep said that he was using a code of Y83 and that all it requires is use of your Visa and that ownership status is included in your Marriott Rewards Account number. I suppose I should call back and make sure they are not going to up my rate on arrival!

Great little nugget, here are the rate rules on that Y83 code looked up online:

Rate Rules Premier Visa Owner Discount, 40 percent off Regular rate, must pay with Marriott Visa, see Rate Rules

Additional Information
MARRIOTT VACATION CLUB DESTINATIONS PROGRAM
- PREMIER MARRIOTT REWARDS VISA OWNER DISCOUNT
- 40 PERCENT OFF OF BENCHMARK RATE
- MUST BOOK AND PAY WITH MARRIOTT REWARDS VISA CARD
- RATE ALREADY REFLECTS DISCOUNT
- RATE IS NON COMMISSIONABLE
- FOR MARRIOTT VACATION CLUB DESTINATIONS PROGRAM
PREMIER OWNERS ONLY
- SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY
- MAXIMUM OF 2 ROOMS PER OWNER PER STAY
- OWNER MUST BE PRESENT AT CHECK IN
- OWNER MUST PRESENT OWNER CARD AT CHECK IN

Now if we can just get hold of the other codes and we won't have to call VOAs to book these.

I wonder if having the Premier Visa gives you an extra 5% over the Signature Visa?

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Oh I'm sorry, you have the rates correct. Here's the thread where we talked about the new DC/VISA rates - it's 25% off for Members, 30% off for Premier Members and 35% off for Premier Plus, with an additional 10% off across the board if you use your Marriott VISA.

When we booked we were told to make sure that we take our Membership and VISA cards with us just in case the front desk needs to verify anything at check-in. Membership cards are used so infrequently that it wouldn't be surprising if owners don't have one handy (or even know they exist.) If I didn't have one I guess I'd make sure that I had at least the number with me and ask the front desk to contact Owner Services for verification.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great little nugget, here are the rate rules on that Y83 code looked up online:

Now if we can just get hold of the other codes and we won't have to call VOAs to book these.

I wonder if having the Premier Visa gives you an extra 5% over the Signature Visa?

Hmmm. I didn't think to ask for the code, although it only took the rep a little bit of time to find it after I read the Insider blurb to her. Next time I'll ask so you can add it to the list.

As far as the different VISA's, I'd guess there's no variance because the Insider specified only 10%.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Looks like Y85 is Premier 30% off, no extra for Visa

Rate Rules Premier Points Discount, 30 percent off Regular rate

Additional Information
MARRIOTT VACATION CLUB DESTINATIONS PROGRAM
PREMIER OWNER DISCOUNT
- 30 PERCENT OFF OF BENCHMARK RATE
- RATE ALREADY REFLECTS DISCOUNT
- RATE IS NON COMMISSIONABLE
- FOR MARRIOTT VACATION CLUB DESTINATIONS PROGRAM
PREMIER OWNERS ONLY
- SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY
- MAXIMUM OF 2 ROOMS PER OWNER PER STAY
- OWNER MUST BE PRESENT AT CHECK IN
- OWNER MUST PRESENT OWNER CARD AT CHECK IN

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Since the discount under MOD is the same as a "Standard Member", the discount code is the MOD code, there is no separate codes. If someone who is Premier Plus wants to do an online chat with a my-vacationclub.com rep, you may be able to get the corporate codes for Premier Plus.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All,

The broker has confirmed for me that this is the same auction as was conducted previously, and that the buyer backed out. I don't have any confirmation that Marriott was going to permit the transaction (or the full utility of the points).

Best,

Greg