• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations (Tuscany Village, SeaWorld office)
@HelpFamilyPurgeHGV So you never made a payment since 2019? This may already be in foreclosure and beyond the statute of limitations. See below.

Here are the timeshare laws for Florida deeds:

Florida – FL, inaction or non-objection results in estate, anti-deficiency foreclosure, but objection leads to judicial, deficiency action: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0721/0721.html
https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ChapterHome.asp?Chapter=61B-37

What this means: You do not need to declare bankruptcy to get out of this because they cannot go after more than your timeshare deed if you do nothing and take certain steps.

However you may get a ding on your credit report but your other alternative is to pay but you said you do not have the money. Florida is a non-judicial anti-deficiency state so if you do NOT object to foreclosure then all HGVC can do is take back your deed to settle. They CANNOT go after your other assets unless you object to foreclosure.

Therefore make it clear that you DO NOT OBJECT TO foreclosure. And tell them you have no assets to go after anyway. So you would be willing to settle for Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure to give them back the deed now to save on legal and court bills and let you walk away.

If HVGC wants money or disagrees, then tell them that you have no objection and walk away. Ignore all emails, snail mail, and do not take calls.

Do NOT talk to collections because they may try to trick you to say that you object to foreclosre and then will take you to court and go after other assets or garnish wages.

DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY MONEY because it restarts the statute of limitations debt clock.
Avoid forebearance because that resets the debt clock which might be near the 3 year statute of limitations since you have done nothing since 2019.

Please report back what happens.

Good luck.
I've re-read your words repeatedly for 3 days now

Most I understand but some don't

So, earlier people advised differently. I'll tag you in n that comment.

Your statements

This is pur 1st missed payment, will be 2 this month. Does this change anything you say here?

So, the debt timeline begins when, then? After 1st missed pay?

Ding on report:
Already have collections, this will become collections too? Or a foreclosure? Or both?

After it becomes (another) collections or a foreclosure, how long til afterwards to apply for mortgage for a house loan? It won't be in the next 5y but just wondering so we know what to expect.

The words we say are:
"
Yes to foreclosure, we have no assets anyways.
Willing to settle for Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure
"
Correct?

What dkes this mean Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure. I know what deed, in lieu of, foreclosure all means but you said to grant them foreclosure thrn say allow deed in lieu of, so I'm confused. How can I convince them to transfer deed back to them by settling for that in lieu of instead of them just coming after me?

Is the deed in lieu of like a deed buyback thing?

Thank you for being very descriptive we truly appreciate it

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I didn't even see this reply

It was regarding what so,ebody wrote earlier

Sorry I don't know how to not attach that reply. I was just going to reply to Jim comment to try to tag you if I cpuld.

So, to make certain we have all this advice straighten out

--CALL-- loan dept for HGV, ask forgiveness (also known as cancel membership) or forbearance at least
-
1a, mention the following, correct? :
• no assets,
• lived in poverty this yr due to unexpected medical circumstances outside outside our control,
• please forgive debt

.... • anything else?

If they don't move mountains, stop pay.

Then, contact CONSUMER FINANCIAL PROTECTION BUREAU...?

Then, contact FL AG...?

- 4, 5:
- - - Uncertain why need to contact either of those agencies now thar I know we do have some sort of a deed. That was only before when we didn't know where deed was & why HGV wouldn't email PDF. Made us scared researching all this .... doing it slowly since pain takes time away from our days but we need to to be going faster & pain pulls us back unfortunately and doing it all slowly meant we had time to speculate and built up fear worst case thoughts scary scenarios

& I almost fprgot .... I think the last (?) Thing to do is collection agency if necessary. Tell them same thinfs listed in 1a, correct?

All these new directives for pur fa,ILY mean new info:

7a
And, now, do not seek:
- attorney realtor, or
- exit company, or
- resale agency or
- realtor for resale o
- anything else except above directives, correct?

7b
Or keep option open for attorney? I don't know if there are any real estate attorneys that also work on contingency (not pro bono)???

All these instrutusn form all are broken up so it's all hard to follow to ensure we make good decisions & in correct order

I think forgetting a few things but it's all so much overwhelming

Thank you
@CalGalTraveler

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

HelpFamilyPurgeHGV

Just wondering what your liked about Hilton Grand Vacations (Tuscany Village, SeaWorld) Orlando
that made you decide to purchase in 2019. How much you have invested in it over the past 5 years.

How much are 2024 HGV vacation owner annual maintenance fees.

Assuming you have paid approx. 5 years on the loan/mortgage (Loan: missed one payment so far)
Have you asked Hilton Grand Vacations if they can assist you in arranging to list your timeshare
ownership interest on the resale market from a group of brokers who will advertise for you?
The outstanding amount will need to be paid before you can transfer your interest
This can often be accomplished at closing where proceeds from the sale are applied to the loan.

Note: All information, content, and materials that I posted
on this thread are for general informational purposes only.
We really don't understand what you're saying, unfortunately. Sorry.

Asked HGV to assist in listing an own interest on resale market
-
As in, ARDA brokers? I mentioned above if this is 1 of the routes we shpild take & now it's getting more confusing. Everybody, it seems, is giving varying advice.

I recently learned HGV is an ARDA member but didn't know that meant HGV could help me list.

IDK what "transfer interests " mean. If somebody bought the remainder of the loan, say I have an even 5k, to make it easy, but also have maint fees, say, another 5k, so 10k total, the potential buyer would purchase which part?

And how much to list it for?

We don't have time tp answer questions about why we liked HGV. And we don't want another membership with that HGV max benefits page you linked. Thanks

I think this is 1 of the other ones I had a question about & it links to your statements I think @CalGalTraveler

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
1) You owe money on the purchase, and it just cannot be sold. Forget about listing for sale. What you paid for is worth pennies on the dollar in the resale market.
2) Since you cannot afford it, just stop payment.
3) You credit score will be dinged for about 7 years once it hit collections. Sounds like you are already in collections.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Well this thread didn't disappoint..... I wish the OP the best of luck with their medical and TS issues. I wish I could help more, but I am so confused as to what is actually going on here. You paid? you didn't pay? Your HGV TS is on a hidden hard drive? You can't call anyone? For someone with unexpected and severe medical issues, don't you think it would be wise to have a phone in case you needed to call someone in case of an emergency..... like 911 OR HGV to cancel their TS? :shrug:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Well this thread didn't disappoint..... I wish the OP the best of luck with their medical and TS issues. I wish I could help more, but I am so confused as to what is actually going on here. You paid? you didn't pay? Your HGV TS is on a hidden hard drive? You can't call anyone? For someone with unexpected and severe medical issues, don't you think it would be wise to have a phone in case you needed to call someone in case of an emergency..... like 911 OR HGV to cancel their TS? :shrug:
Exactly, this makes no sense and we are all willing participants to it all. No one in the family can afford $16 a month(what a great deal for a cell phone plan) for a single phone, but a few months ago they were paying probably $200/mo on this TS loan, but never used it at all for 5 years? That's probably $10,000 down the drain for nothing, but can't spare $16 for an essential utility for the whole family, with people suffering from debilitating injuries?

Accepting it all as true, there are bigger problems than a timeshare and ZERO amount of time should be spent dealing with it.

TheDude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara & HGVC The Boulevard
Exactly, this makes no sense and we are all willing participants to it all. No one in the family can afford $16 a month(what a great deal for a cell phone plan) for a single phone, but a few months ago they were paying probably $200/mo on this TS loan, but never used it at all for 5 years? That's probably $10,000 down the drain for nothing, but can't spare $16 for an essential utility for the whole family, with people suffering from debilitating injuries?

Accepting it all as true, there are bigger problems than a timeshare and ZERO amount of time should be spent dealing with it.
It's like worrying about your hair getting wet when the boat is sinking five miles from shore. Bigger issues to deal with.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
We don't have time tp answer questions about why we liked HGV.
It's like worrying about your hair getting wet when the boat is sinking five miles from shore. Bigger issues to deal with.
People are only trying to help. The question asking what you liked about HGV was to see if there was still a chance to get any kind of value out of your purchase, a purchase that you have supposedly paid on for five years but have never used. While you don’t have time to answer that you are up to 34 posts that are rambling and hard for many to understand.

You have been given consistent advice from the very beginning. In a nutshell, this is the advice:

*Your timeshare cannot be sold.
*You can write a hardship letter to HGV. They have no responsibility to act on it and likely will not do anything for you but it is worth a chance. When/if they decline…
*Stop paying for something you cannot afford and don’t use to focus on your health and financial recovery.

@TheDude post sums it up better than anything else I can type.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Snezz1e

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're under financial hardship look into signing up for Medicaid and/or SNAP(Food Stamps). If you qualify for one then you'll be able to sign up for Lifeline and ACP (if congress extends it). Lifeline will pay for a basic cell phone plan (I think 1000 minutes and around 5gb of data a month). ACP will pay $30 towards cell phone plan or broadband internet.

Otherwise there are phone plans that are $5/month. Check ebay. You do have to usually buy at least 3 months.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@snezzwe already did all that stuff. Gov doesn't help.

To those that have wasted my time reading their unhelpful input,

You all don't have to understand it but we do. As I mentioned before, not using a timeshare was a choice we made to put family ahead of vacation time. Vacation time is allotted only so many days per yr & we chose to take care of family before spending frivolous time on a vaca for ourselves. Just bc you are retired & have time to take vacation any time & have family that is in good health & have houses that aren't falling down doesn't mean the rest of us paying on a mistake we never should've made means that we have to use it just bc we bought it.

We thought it was a good idea fro,mthe beginning but never considered a chronic debilitating med issue that meant we had to live on savings. So, sue us for making a mistake. I'm sure you have made mistakes & here we are asking for advice to help our now painful (physical & financial) situation & some of you are making this out to be a laughable situation. O hope those ppl never have to go through what we've been thru in order to realize a timeshare was a mistake & I hope if you do enter into a similar situation & need to ask for help or advice that pll don't laugh at you or ridicule you for it.

And, as I prev mention, husband work makes us travel so there was no need to be concerned Abt what the owners portal has bc we didn't need to use it bc we were already traveling & no need to go on portal if you're already taking a working holiday.

- To the real stars in this thread: -

To all who truly helped,
Thank you for supporting your fellow humans. You helped put things into perspective, helped me understand some things, helped me learn, helped me find, helped helped helped. Thank you

We just don tknow correct ways & order to do things & what to say bc we've never been in this situation before AND

This is scary & makes us cry & it isnhard to think clearly when you're in a lot of pain & suffering & sad & upset & scarred

So than you so very much for helping. I just wish I could understand some of the other comments bc its so hard to think sometimes. And it usually takes a long time to respond also so things get every more confusing bc so many things here

It's so overwhelming & confusing & scary. So thank-you so far for helping what you've done so far.

Please keep advice coming & ,aybe if so,ebody can help make this comment less foggy that would be really helpful

We dont want to give up.... I am almost better & husband will gp back to work soon....

But even after going back to work.... still have several BACKPAY issues
Health insurance back pay bc work kept his health going we are so grateful
Medical bills
Backpay house
Backpay car insurance
Backpay electicity & house gas
Repay used sick leave (I forget what they called it maybe upfront sick leave or something i cant think what it is)
etc

And all that is on top of expensive gas for car, expensive inflation for food, expensive cost of living (it wasn't this expensive in 2019!), expensive evythg

And after all debts are back to normal payment every month
We want to repay
Food pantry (we had to give them bank statements to show we needed it & you can only go once per week)
Local community
Neighbors that heard me scream & cry in pain

We were big supporters of community before all this & we knew why we were but it really opens your eyes when you're on the other side of it

If you can, consider giving back to your community instead of taking a vacation! I can tell you it ismSO VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

So, we don't have money now or in near future. And when he returns back to work, we still won't be able to afford a sptimeahare

Thank you for helping me learn & hope you will continue to help us ,earn the right way to do things

Thankmyou

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Even if we could afford 200 a mth a few mths ago that doesn't mean things can't chng that means we can now not afford a 16 phn. Neither of those two things match.

That's like saying the sky is blue during the day so it should not be black at night. Things chng - not being able to afford EITHER A 16 PHN AND CANT AFFORD A TIMESHARE FOR 200 is the point. And regardless of when we could & couldn't be able to afford it is also moot. Again, things chng.

Pls read above comments so ypu can read I thank-you for help.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've re-read your words repeatedly for 3 days now

Most I understand but some don't

So, earlier people advised differently. I'll tag you in n that comment.

Your statements

This is pur 1st missed payment, will be 2 this month. Does this change anything you say here?

Ding on report:
Already have collections, this will become collections too? Or a foreclosure? Or both?

After it becomes (another) collections or a foreclosure, how long til afterwards to apply for mortgage for a house loan? It won't be in the next 5y but just wondering so we know what to expect.

The words we say are:
"
"
Correct?

What dkes this mean Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure. I know what deed, in lieu of, foreclosure all means but you said to grant them foreclosure thrn say allow deed in lieu of, so I'm confused. How can I convince them to transfer deed back to them by settling for that in lieu of instead of them just coming after me?

Thank you for being very descriptive we truly appreciate it
Pleaee help us understand

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I didn't even see this reply

It was regarding what so,ebody wrote earlier

Sorry I don't know how to not attach that reply. I was just going to reply to Jim comment to try to tag you if I cpuld.

So, to make certain we have all this advice straighten out

--CALL-- loan dept for HGV, ask forgiveness (also known as cancel membership) or forbearance at least
-
1a, mention the following, correct? :
• no assets,
• lived in poverty this yr due to unexpected medical circumstances outside outside our control,
• please forgive debt

.... • anything else?

If they don't move mountains, stop pay.

Then, contact CONSUMER FINANCIAL PROTECTION BUREAU...?

Then, contact FL AG...?

- 4, 5:
- - - Uncertain why need to contact either of those agencies now thar I know we do have some sort of a deed. That was only before when we didn't know where deed was & why HGV wouldn't email PDF. Made us scared researching all this .... doing it slowly since pain takes time away from our days but we need to to be going faster & pain pulls us back unfortunately and doing it all slowly meant we had time to speculate and built up fear worst case thoughts scary scenarios

& I almost fprgot .... I think the last (?) Thing to do is collection agency if necessary. Tell them same thinfs listed in 1a, correct?

All these new directives for pur fa,ILY mean new info:

7a
And, now, do not seek:
- attorney realtor, or
- exit company, or
- resale agency or
- realtor for resale o
- anything else except above directives, correct?

7b
Or keep option open for attorney? I don't know if there are any real estate attorneys that also work on contingency (not pro bono)???

All these instrutusn form all are broken up so it's all hard to follow to ensure we make good decisions & in correct order

I think forgetting a few things but it's all so much overwhelming

Thank you

Lease help confirm

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We really don't understand what you're saying, unfortunately. Sorry.

Asked HGV to assist in listing an own interest on resale market
-
As in, ARDA brokers? I mentioned above if this is 1 of the routes we shpild take & now it's getting more confusing. Everybody, it seems, is giving varying advice.

I recently learned HGV is an ARDA member but didn't know that meant HGV could help me list.

IDK what "transfer interests " mean. If somebody bought the remainder of the loan, say I have an even 5k, to make it easy, but also have maint fees, say, another 5k, so 10k total, the potential buyer would purchase which part?

And how much to list it for?

We don't have time tp answer questions about why we liked HGV. And we don't want another membership with that HGV max benefits page you linked. Thanks

I think this is 1 of the other ones I had a question about & it links to your statements I think @CalGalTraveler
Please help

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Please help
Just hitting the ignore button. There is something very goofy about this thread and the OP's pleas for people to keep responding when everything has been said. I have been doubting for some time that this is even real rather than someone having a a good time. [And to the OP, don't bother responding to this.]

Last edited:

Reddart

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA
1) You owe money on the purchase, and it just cannot be sold. Forget about listing for sale. What you paid for is worth pennies on the dollar in the resale market.
2) Since you cannot afford it, just stop payment.
3) You credit score will be dinged for about 7 years once it hit collections. Sounds like you are already in collections.
OP, please read the quoted reply. This is about all you can do. Some other replies have things you could try but the likelihood of resolution where the debt magically gets forgiven is pretty low.

Perhaps you could set up a GoFundMe page.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
just default on the loan. it doesn't sound like you're in any financial situation for anything

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Post #3 from TUGBrian eleven days ago suggested you consult an attorney. Clearly it sounds like you need one. Have you done so yet and what did he/she advise?

This person claims they can't afford to pay for one $16/month cell phone plan for the entire family, and no one has a cell phone.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
The ignore button was created for threads like this. :wall:

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OP, please read the quoted reply. This is about all you can do. Some other replies have things you could try but the likelihood of resolution where the debt magically gets forgiven is pretty low.

Perhaps you could set up a GoFundMe page.
Me asking these questions related to somebody else's post is NOT what has already been said. That is why I've asked the following questions related to that comment

Things like ....

Ding on report:

The words we say are:
"
"
Correct?

None of what I just pasted here above has been relayed or discussed before, again, which is why I asked them and nobody has replied yet

When somebody realizes these are different questions, aybe they can
Reply here:

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Post #3 from TUGBrian eleven days ago suggested you consult an attorney. Clearly it sounds like you need one. Have you done so yet and what did he/she advise?

We don't qualify for legal aid - a family of 4 must be 125% below the poverty level

Despite living in poverty last year, we were also denied many things bc husband made too much LAST YEAR depsite us not living in last year problems,, we live inn current problems.

And since lawyers are expensive, we don't qualify for pro bono or anything so bankruptcy lawyer or anything else can't do

So, I'm back here for help on what to say and how to say it as this ismso confusing

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Me asking these questions related to somebody else's post is NOT what has already been said. That is why I've asked the following questions related to that comment

Things like ....

Ding on report:

The words we say are:
"
"
Correct?

None of what I just pasted here above has been relayed or discussed before, again, which is why I asked them and nobody has replied yet

When somebody realizes these are different questions, aybe they can
Reply here:

@Reddart These are the new questions I had thst nobody has said anything. About