• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2008 Maintenance Fees (MERGED THREADS)

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder how the California and Hawaii resorts are fairing? Report just came out last night Lake Tahoe real estate went up 30% in the past quarter - I think # was referring to higher-end homes. Maybe cost of living goes up so it affect cost of MF at Timber Lodge ?

ann824

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grande Vista is only going up $28. We just bought a Manor Club. I wish we had known it was going to go up that much. I would love to know why it has gone up so much in the last two years.

potchak

TUG Member
Reaction score
What was the reserve fee for Manor Club last year? I am trying to figure out why the huge jump in fees. I am a little afraid of what my Waiohai and Timberlodge are going to do if my cheapest timeshare went through the roof!

I actually found last years statement and it looks like the reserve fee last year was $66.86 and this year is $238!!! I guess I know where our increase is going. The actual expenses on the resort went down from 589.20 to $547.26, but the reserve is what is doing it. Property taxes only increased by about $3 so it is all in the reserve. I guess they increased the reserve heavily because of the problems with the appliances.

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Or because they want to:

1) put granite in all the units
2) refurbish the Sequel side
3) do something to improve the outdoor pool area

The reserve fee is about 12k per unit when you count all of the unit/months.

That's quite a lot.

I'd rather do it this way than to wait for a few years and then pay a bunch all at once.

I guess they increased the reserve heavily because of the problems with the appliances.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
Looks like BeachPlace went up only 2.2%, of course when you're paying over $1000 ($1035.07) a $22 increase is lost in the noise. It will be interesting to see what happens next year after the big renovation is finished.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Legends Edge

I hope Legend's Edge will be held in check in the future years (after 2008) by the fact that the LEGENDS EDGE CONDOMINIUM ASSOCIATION includes the whole ownership condos and the timeshares. I could only imagine that the whole ownership condos would require slightly less maintenence. :D

maggie mae

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or because they want to:

1) put granite in all the units
2) refurbish the Sequel side
3) do something to improve the outdoor pool area

The reserve fee is about 12k per unit when you count all of the unit/months.

That's quite a lot.

I'd rather do it this way than to wait for a few years and then pay a bunch all at once.

Matt,

Seems to me like some past boards at MMC have not done their job very well as reserve fees should be built up over time with smaller increments than the jump we are seeing this year. An increase of over 18% coming off of a previous year's increase of nearly 12% is unacceptable in my opinion especially if most of the increase is to replenish the reserve fund.

Maggie Mae:(

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
For some time now we have all raved about what a good deal MMC was with MF and the trade value of exchanging for points. I wonder if that was picked up by Marriott as too good a deal and hit owners harder than should be necessary.

I am surprised at Manor Club for this increase and do want to investigate further with the GM. He's somewhat new to MMC and the increases have just started since he came to town a couple of years back. And the HOA usually is so communicative with owners -- this increase, to my knowledged, wasn't even hinted at in any correspondence from the MMC HOA.

I agree that I want a nice feeling about ownership but some of the reports of wear and tear over the last year on TUG and now this big increase leads me to think they economized in the past and we loved their management style, but now we have to pay for the games they've played.

Brian

Manor Club % increases over the last few years: 2.74%, 3.67%, 0.00%, 4.32%, 4.94%, 11.93%, and now 18.51%.

I hope the trend will not continue! I will be priced out of Manor Club.

Ray

vacationlover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
If anyone finds anything out about the MMC, MSE fees being so high, could you please post it here?

Thanks!

maggie mae

TUG Member
Reaction score
For some time now we have all raved about what a good deal MMC was with MF and the trade value of exchanging for points. I wonder if that was picked up by Marriott as too good a deal and hit owners harder than should be necessary.

I am surprised at Manor Club for this increase and do want to investigate further with the GM. He's somewhat new to MMC and the increases have just started since he came to town a couple of years back. And the HOA usually is so communicative with owners -- this increase, to my knowledged, wasn't even hinted at in any correspondence from the MMC HOA.

I agree that I want a nice feeling about ownership but some of the reports of wear and tear over the last year on TUG and now this big increase leads me to think they economized in the past and we loved their management style, but now we have to pay for the games they've played.

Brian

Brian,

I hope you have better luck with him than I had.

You may recall a few months ago there were some negative postings on this site regarding the conditions of the units, the gazebo, etc. I attempted to communicate with the GM to express my concern, with all due respect and politeness, and received what I considered to be a very condescending reply as if he couldn't be bothered by an owner. Needless to say I'm not impressed with him at all and hope his tenure at MMC will be brief.

Maggie Mae

Last edited:

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
who the GM work for? Is he paid my Marriott or by HOA/hotel revenue? Who has rights to replace him?

Corky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Manor Club % increases over the last few years: 2.74%, 3.67%, 0.00%, 4.32%, 4.94%, 11.93%, and now 18.51%.

Ray

Likewise!! Any recourse for us?

Corky

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ray

I was hoping the increase in Manor Club's MF was the trick part of Trick or Treat.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
GM works for Marriott. Marriott determines whether the GM comes or goes.

HOA determines who runs the resort (right now Marriott). HOA pays Marriott to run the resort.

I wouldn't want Manor Club to be run by another resort chain.

who the GM work for? Is he paid my Marriott or by HOA/hotel revenue? Who has rights to replace him?

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure not increasing the reserve fund would be worse in the long run though.

Also, I don't think we know exactly what the increased reserve is for. If it's for things that will be accomplished in 2008, I'd like to know what they are.

If the increase is to pay for things from prior years like the spa, business center, wireless internet, new bedding, etc. then I agree that it's been mismanaged. In essence we used our monies inappropriately even if we received value.

Matt,

An increase of over 18% coming off of a previous year's increase of nearly 12% is unacceptable in my opinion especially if most of the increase is to replenish the reserve fund.

Maggie Mae:(

Last edited:

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, I don't think we know exactly what the increased reserve is for. ...
I think won't we know soon enough when the letter comes out to our homes? I think it breaks are for and possibly (it better) and explaination what the reserve increase are for.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Winger,
I sure hope so. They usually discuss how the money is being allocated, but maybe not in detail.

On another note...I'm here at MSE in a 1BR for two days and the unit is very, very nice. It's clear to me that they've done some things in this building and unit since last year. The carpets are new in both the room and the building hall ways. The bar stools are now leather (pleather?) and look nice. There's a few other nice touches that I don't remember.

I'm coming back next week to stay in the original section next week. I'll see if I can talk to the GM when I'm here.

ira g

TUG Member
Reaction score
2008 Maintenance Fee

Does anyone know what the MF is for Horizon at Branson for a 2 BR lockoff silver season for 2008? Does this amount include real estate taxes?

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The fees when announced - probably within the next two weeks or so - will include property taxes.

All Branson weeks pay the same fees. My guess is that the fees will be in the $645 to $655 range.

ml855

TUG Member
Reaction score
2008 Manor Club MF

We just received our 2008 MF for Manor Club.

Total fees $845.00

Operating fees 547.26
Replacement Reserve 238.00
Property tax 59.74

Is the replacement reserve a one time fee? I hope so, or we'll have to start selling some of our TS, won't be able to keep up with the MFs.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We just received our 2008 MF for Manor Club.

Total fees $845.00

Operating fees 547.26
Replacement Reserve 238.00
Property tax 59.74

Is the replacement reserve a one time fee? I hope so, or we'll have to start selling some of our TS, won't be able to keep up with the MFs.

The replacement reserve is an ongoing fee. It's a reserve to take care of major expenses, both expected and unexpected. It's what keeps your resort looking as good as it does. Otherwise the resort declines and you get hit with a one time special assessment.

An example would be like what's happened this past year at Polo Towers. The HOA at PT's only puts $45 into it's reserve fund. Thus when the decor of the units became outdated, they had to ask the owners for over $1,000 additional per unit to reonvate them. Personally I'd rather pay a little each year into the replacemnt reserve than get hit between the eyes with a large SA.

$845 is still a bargain in the Marriott system. Ocean Pointe's projected MF's are from $1,065 to $1,461 depending on the size unit and the season. I haven't seen the projections for Grand Chateau yet but I'm assuming they're going to be in that range as well.

potchak

TUG Member
Reaction score
EOY Waiohai
Interval Description Due Date Amount Due

WI*7202*18 2008 Operating Fee 2008-01-15 $560.95
WI*7202*18 2008 Reserve Fee 2008-01-15 $58.02
WI*7202*18 2008 Property Tax Fee 2008-01-15 $74.89

Total amount $693.86

bbibb

TUG Member
Reaction score