• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2009] White Sands Waikiki Resort Club

DK09

Reaction score
info

Thank God I don't have a unit at White Sands, but I do have 2 other Celebrity units at Brigantine and Orlando. I was trying to see if I could find property transfer records to get other owners names (I know, RTU doesn't have a deed conveyed-but I was just fishing). What I came across was this website. Search under White Sands, White Sands Waikki Resort Club and Celebrity Resorts. I used a start date of 06/01/1980. You might want to go back further. Interesting results; unfortunately it looks like it'll cost a few bucks to get copies of the transactions. When I stayed there in 2000, it was Ramada Vacation Club. This might give you other trails to follow. Good luck with you're fight!
Eileen

http://bocweb.dlnrbc.hawaii.gov/boc/

thanks for the site. there seems to be a lot of info on it which will take me a day or two to peruse!!

I

Idaho

[Spam deleted and spammer banned. - DeniseM Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

MARTIN59

Reaction score
further letters

we have received our 2nd demand for $725.79
Also had a reply from Anne Thompson, which did not answer our question, just a circular, no more than we expected. But in the letter it states ,

"Actually it is the by-laws that informs all members of the Associaton of Members of White Sands Waikiki Resort Club's ( The Association ) of the rights to adjust the fees to meet the maintenance requirements for the resort.

Just for interest, we have been in contact with our credit card company, and as we paid our maintenance with our card, we are asking them to fight for us. They have asked for a copy of the contract, as it is a blatant breach of contract by celebrity, to provide us with our week at White Sands.
Has anyone else tried this approach?

As we are in the UK there is a Consumer Credit Act1974 (CCA74) which can be seen @ www.timeshare.org.uk/cca74.html Maybe of help to someone.

Also we are constantly being phoned and asked if we wish to sell our timeshare. seems odd with all the baggage attatched to white Sands just now. Anyone else had similar interest?

Blackwhat

Reaction score
credit card action

I considered asking my credit card company for relief but read somewhere that you needed to do it within 60 days of payment and I felt I would have been too late. Good luck Martin. Blackwhat

DK09

Reaction score
telephone calls

We received pretty much the same letter from Anne Thompson.
the special assessment has nothing to do with maintenance of the resort----just very poor financial's.
As far as the telephone calls, we get those a lot too. Celebrity probably sold the list of all our names to a timeshare sales place. They in turn call everyone and ask to buy your timeshare. You send them money and if they sell it, they will give you the money less their share for selling it.
Next time they call tell them to take you off their list.

qa-Russ

Reaction score
ARDA complaint process

To update, last week Wednesday ARDA did reply to my request for complaint form indicating there did not appear to be an ethics issue and directed me instead to Celebrity and some of the activities others have already undertaken. I replied immediately pointing out the 2009 MF assessment was sent out in late October at about 90% less then the MF required. If it weren't why would the Board need have a special assessment of $695 deemed necessary in January, only 3 months later?
This is an ethics issue. I requested forms again.
Today, with no reply from ARDA and no forms received I pursued my request again.
In addition, my request for minutes of the Board meeting approving the Special Assessment had results. I have a copy of the minutes through Anne Thompson, Services Analyst Manager, Celebrity. The meeting occured January 16 with Board members C.Craig Lewis and Jared Meyers participating.
My additional request for the Auditor's report substantiating the need for assessment has generated no reply.
I will post further when I have more.

Blackwhat

Reaction score
minutes of spec. meeting

I too have a copy of the minutes regarding special assessment meeting. What a scam. Two officers of Celebrity (Lewis and Meyers) get together over the phone and decide to impose a special assessment including one million one hundred and fifty dollars of "projected deficits". I wonder where they got their crystal ball to make that projection. They certainly refuse to explain it to the majority of other members who have requested an explanation.
Also Harper of the FBI did not take kindly to his name being passed around on the internet. I called my local FBI office and was told Honolulu would have jurisdiction.
I am going to write them in regard to unexplained variance in property tax bill vs proposed 2008 and 2009 budgets.
Suspected mail fraud.
Blackwhat

DK09

Reaction score
meeting

so what I am understanding is that no member of white sands was at this meeting that decided on the special assessment? How did Meyers and Lewis come about being on the board? I don't ever remember voting for them or getting a proxy for them to vote in my place? There are supposed to be members of white sands on the board according to the by-laws, or did Celebrity change that too!
I hope owners/members at other celebrity resorts aren't taken in by these guys.....

Blackwhat

Reaction score
spec. assessment minutes

According to the minutes, that is the conclusion I have come to. I do not have a copy of the by-laws but with two members working for Celebrity sitting on the board and supposedly qualifying as a quorum I imagine they can do as they please and figure it is legal. How they got on the board is a mystery to me.
Blackwhat

Blackwhat

Reaction score
lots of Luck

I think you are right. They will get into a lot of trouble when that is broadcast all over.

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
so what I am understanding is that no member of white sands was at this meeting that decided on the special assessment? How did Meyers and Lewis come about being on the board? I don't ever remember voting for them or getting a proxy for them to vote in my place? There are supposed to be members of white sands on the board according to the by-laws, or did Celebrity change that too!
I hope owners/members at other celebrity resorts aren't taken in by these guys.....

Lewis and Meyers were 'appointed' to the Hanalei Bay VOA board. I wonder what will happen next....:annoyed:

Blackwhat

Reaction score
Lewis and Meyers

Ann should be back on Monday. As far as the Bulletin I don't know. Queen Emma folks may have an answer but regardless it looks like a real good stroke of luck to me.
Where did you get this?

Last edited:

Blackwhat

Reaction score
Closure of White Sands Prematurely

If you have tried to make a reservation at the White Sands Waikiki for anytime between now and the end of 2009 you have probably found that there is "NO AVAILABILITY" written all over your request. That seems to confirm that Celebrity Resorts has failed in it's management of the White Sands and needs to be fired.
Since the board only consists of members working for Celebrity I do not see how this can be accomplished. Fortunately they will be closeing White Sands in a week or so and we should be getting a reevaluation of all the projections in the estimated budget and the special assessment. This of course will require another statement from Celebrity regarding the balance sheet and the members financial interest. Technically we are not an association. We are a bunch of Right To Use members. The management company is responsible for seeing that we get what we paid for and not for threatening us with special assessments because of their failure to act on members in default.
Do not hesitate to ask for a refund of your annual dues. Because of their failure to perform and their careless manipulation of finances many members have paid an additional unnecessary special assessment for which they may not receive a refund.
Blackwhat

Blackwhat

Reaction score
found on another site

Celebrity Resort Orlando - Power of Attorney Letter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Celebrity owners, did you all get the letter regarding the power of attorney they want us to give Jared Meyers? According to the letter, by doing this, we will avoid a potential $200 increase over fees from last year. Increase? Our maintenance fees are already among the highest I've seen - especially for a resort in Orlando.

I showed the letter to an attorney friend because I was concerned that by signing this letter I am giving indefinite power of attorney to them to vote of things outside of just the matter at hand. He advised me that I could cross out the last half of the last sentence and replace it with an expiration date. You can also send them a letter at a later date revoking the power of attorney.

I then called member services and asked when they thought this matter would go to a vote, when the issue would be resolved thinking I would have the power of attorney expire after it was no longer necessary. At this point the cust service person said they would not accept a modified letter. I was then transferred to the legal department and waited on hold for approx. 20 minutes before I finally hung up.

What are you guys doing? I'm so tired of this place. First the special assessment and now the threat of increased maintenance fees? I'm already paying $711! I asked if they would just take the week back. They said lots of people ask this and that itis not their policy. This place is worthless, literally. I've watched numerous weeks not sell at all or sell for next to nothing on ebay (I'm talking $200 or less). I just want to get rid of it. Sorry for the rant...

EileenSRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the Celebrity Resorts Owners Section of their website, there's a request for Orlando owners to sign a POA. That has been there since last fall. There was much talk on the Yahoo group about it and no one over there singed it. Our MF didn't go up by 200, but neither did it go down! After much discussion, it was learned that what they wanted to do was reduce the amount of reserve the State of FL requires of timeshares, unless the HOA votes to maintain less $. So, the reason for the POA was reasonable, but, it's not a limited POA and even if it was, they could do whatever they wanted with it while it was in force. I will only sign a POA that is for a specific purpose, with a specific time line.
I picked mine up on ebay for under 200 and if it didn't get me decent trades I'd give it away. When we retire next year, we're going to reevaluate our portfolio and make some changes.
Eileen

teepeeca

TUG Member
Reaction score
POA's ---???

Ii'm NOT hijacking the thread, BUT, wanted to give you my opinion. "IF" someone wants you to sign a "Power of attorney" (POA), I would do it ONLY under the following condition(s).

Make sure the POA is "LIMITED" POA---can only be used for one or two "specific" things. That way the "management company" (and I use that term loosely---NOT TO HAPPY with some of them) can only use your poa for what YOU designate, and for nothing else. (Many of the management companies DO NOT like the limited POA's---they can't do what they "really" wanted to do !!!

Tony

EileenSRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
I concur with Tony completely. The POA on the website SAYS it's limited, but when you read it carefully, it is not specific to the reduction of the reserves only. I am sure that no matter which resort they are asking for the POA it's not a good thing.
If there was one owner going to a HOA meeting who would be willing to represent the group with their proxy's, then we might be able to elicit change. I plan to go to as many of the HOA meetings of my timeshares as I can after we retire next year.
Eileen

DK09

Reaction score
RICO

Received a couple of letters from Regulated Industries Complaints Office (RICO) today, one asking for more information.....
If you want to know what they had to say PM me and I will be happy to forward the info to you.

qaRuss

TUG Member
Reaction score
ARDA

To update, another week, still no reply from ARDA to provide the complaint forms necessary to direct this to the Ethics Committee.
I have requested that if staff will not provide the forms the name of the Ethics Chair should be provided. I will then approch that person direct.
Russ

DK09

Reaction score
by-laws

Does anyone have a copy of the White Sands Resort-Waikiki by-laws and if so would you forward me a copy?!

DK09

Reaction score
closed

White Sands Resort-Waikiki is now closed. I was forwarded information that everyone was out by 11 am on Sunday May 3 and pictures were coming off the walls. Celebrity website no longer lists it as one of their locations. To all the staff there, we will miss you. You were wonderful to all of us over the years. Good Luck and God Bless.

Last edited: