• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2011] Problems with flagging on Orlando Craigslist [merged]

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have two different weeks I am trying to rent on Craigslist. But as soon as I post an Ad, it gets flagged. That means that other Craigslist users are using the flagging function to take my Ads down. I have never had this happen any other place on Craigslist. I am not violating the rules, so I have to suspect that this is an organized attempt to manipulate or control the market.

It is very frustrating! :annoyed:

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

(Yes, I know there are other places to advertise, but I have very good luck with CL, so I am interested in suggestions about this problem, rather than other places to advertise.)

shirleyj62

TUG Member
Reaction score
My ads were flagged on Craigslist also

Hi Denise,

Just wanted to say that I've had my "wanted silverleaf timeshare" ads flagged and taken down on Craigslist recently. Don't understand it either. It's not like I'm trying to sell something fraudentially.

Don't know. Guess people don't have anything better to do.

Shirley

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I did some research on the (unhelpful) CL Help Forum, and one suggestion made was to post it under a different heading - Services -> Travel/Vac, instead of Housing->Vacation Rentals, so I am going to try that.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably just a local vacation rental company eliminating the competition

CL Flagging is a three strikes your out - Three Independent Flags [IP addresses] and your ad is automatically deleted no chance of any human intervention

Last edited:

Art4th

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did some research on the (unhelpful) CL Help Forum, and one suggestion made was to post it under a different heading - Services -> Travel/Vac, instead of Housing->Vacation Rentals, so I am going to try that.

But you are offering housing, not a service. You have the right category...that's the one I always use for my timeshare rentals and I've never had a problem.

The one time I had an ad flagged, it was due to the fact that I had a link to the resort website in the ad. That is not permitted. Could this be your issue?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's what I thought, too, but even when I took the links out, it got flagged.

On the CL Unhelpful Board, I see several posts stating that they will even flag you if they think you are asking too much - which obviously doesn't break any rules.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably just a local vacation rental company eliminating the competition

CL Flagging is a three strikes your out - Three Independent Flags [IP addresses] and your ad is automatically deleted no chance of any human intervention

Yep, I think you're right. Someone has figured out a way to squash the competition.

DeniseM: Since there is a "3 strikes" clause, I'd suggest you report your situation to Craigslist before posting again. I'd like to believe (though I do not know) that there is a policy in place for abusing the flagging option. Sorry it had to be you. :mad:

Cheers!

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
FROM C/L

Millions of ads are removed through community flagging each month, of which the vast majority are in violation of craigslist terms of use or posting guidelines.
No moderation system is perfect, and a small percentage of ads removed through flagging are compliant.
Flagged postings that meet craigslist guidelines and Terms of Use may be reposted, reworded as necessary.

All of the revenue drives from Help Wanted ads - the rest ust generates traffic to the site

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never asked for help on Craigslist buy I offered something up for free to anyone who could take it on their own. It was a fairly large "home gym" with weights etc. It was in good shape. It was the first time I ever used Craigslist for anything and a very nice unemployed young man, former military, came and got it. I received too many requests to handle and many of them seemed suspicious to me. I was allowing a stranger into my home and had second thoughts about the whole process. I feel lucky that the person who got this equipment for free needed it and would actually use it. Many other responses were extremely terse and strange.

I understand that Craiglist is the place to go if you are job hunting. I don't plan on using Craigslist again.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I should have said, Have you ever asked for help in the Help Forum on Craigslist? It's beyond ridiculous - they are insulting, foul mouthed, and arrogant.

They basically told me that timeshare rental Ads are not welcome on CL and that they will be flagged (removed) by members for no other reason than that.

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I should have said, Have you ever asked for help in the Help Forum on Craigslist? It's beyond ridiculous - they are insulting, foul mouthed, and arrogant.

They basically told me that timeshare rental Ads are not welcome on CL and that they will be flagged (removed) by members for no other reason than that.

I'm sorry to hear that they don't want these rental ads. Craiglist is my primary source for renting units and I hope they don't restrict us from listing rentals on there. I do get a lot of strange replies to the ads but they are usually easy to identify.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's only happening on the Orlando forum. No where else. I really think the regular condo owners are doing it to control the competition.

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My Orlando vacation rental ad was just flagged and removed. This is first time this has happened to me and there were no links in the ad except to the resort's website. Have you'll been able to repost them and have them stay up?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No - as soon as I repost, they get flagged, no matter what I post. I honestly think it's an organized effort to eliminate the competition.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, nothing's to say you can't flag in return. Mutually assured destruction led to detente during the cold war; maybe it will work here too.

I was thinking the same thing Denise. And, we've got a pretty strong army here on TUG. If you want to engage in some retaliation, just let me know what do to! I'm in!! :)

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How do we figure out who's flagging us? Wonder if we could all contact Craigslist complaining about it? Maybe if they get 10 complaints from different people they'll do something?

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will repeat CL's stand on flagging

Millions of ads are removed through community flagging each month, of which the vast majority are in violation of craigslist terms of use or posting guidelines.
No moderation system is perfect, and a small percentage of ads removed through flagging are compliant.
Flagged postings that meet craigslist guidelines and Terms of Use may be reposted, reworded as necessary.

The only ads that generate revenue are help wanted in major markets, those are the only ones that will get human attention.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
See my post #12 above - I was told that Timeshare Ads are not welcome on CL and I should post them somewhere else. I was told point blank, that if members don't like your Ad for any reason, they can flag it and that's perfectly OK with CL.

Go to the link I posted above and read some of the "Help Forum" conversations - it is completely offensive.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go to the link I posted above and read some of the "Help Forum" conversations - it is completely offensive.

And those are the same people free to flag at will

Three Flags and you are out - no notice just gone

my2001twins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am having the same issue on the Orlando craigslist board. Everytime I post my timeshare rental ad it gets flagged and removed. I thought it was because I had mentioned paying via Paypal and that I had 100% positive feedback on Ebay, I read through an unofficial FAQ and they mentioned that might be a reason.

Nope, even with removing the offensive Ebay and paypal words, it was immediately flagged and removed. I can post it on my local Craigslist board and it stays up all day long. But within minutes on the Orlando page it is flagged.

This is ridiculous that a certain group thinks they own this free site. :annoyed:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have an Ad for Tahoe and an Ad for Hawaii and they never get flagged - there is definitely something going on with the Orlando Fourum. On Sat. every Ad was flagged except 4 - 3 of them were from the same commercial rental agency...

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I was thinking the same thing Denise. And, we've got a pretty strong army here on TUG. If you want to engage in some retaliation, just let me know what do to! I'm in!! :)

Me, too! :cheer: But you don't know who is doing it, so how can you decide whom to target?