• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2015 Proposed MF's and Budgets [15% MF Increase!]

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
While I enjoy the MVCI brand, enjoy our resorts and think they do a fine job maintaining them, I also recognize I don't have the deepest of pockets and there are reasons I didn't buy into the Ritz Carlton Club. MVCI maintains some of the highest cash reserves in the timeshare world from what I can see and, I suspect we pay a high price because of the MVCI prefered vendors Marriott wants resorts to use. Eventually, they'll get the price of admission (MF's) high enough that we'll have little choice but to either get rid of our MVCI resorts or simply walk away.

That's the bottom line for us as well. I will just say thanks for the memories and move on.

Well said.

FT

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I received the proxy for my Key West Hyatt where we vote on whether to fully fund the reserves. If we fully fund, the fees are $500 more a year! This is an option Florida is allowing for associations now. The condo I have in Destin always votes to maintain the maximum reserves.

Up until now, the Marriott maintenance fees for weeks have been a lot less in most cases than comparable fees for the same amount in DC points fees. Is it possible they are padding the weeks fees to make them more in line with the fees that points-owners are paying thus eliminating that argument for buying resale weeks instead of points?

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
28% Proposed Increase across the board in MF for Villas at Doral.

http://click.email1.marriott-vacati...4660a5fef6a2a5aa9117a0c649952eb624219a650dd51

FT

WOW! I'm afraid that would be the end for us. We'd either have to sell our week, give it away, deed it back to MVCI or just simply not pay the fee's.

Like I said, we've really enjoyed our MVCI vacations but, just like all other vacation options, there's a limit to what I'm willing to spend. If MVCI tries to start jacking MF rates in the double digit range then it's time to move on.

rpluskota

TUG Member
Reaction score
So does anyone know if the boards are approving these changes? specifically to Crystal Shores on 9/26. Just wondering if anyone has heard yet.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the cost per day for a seven day vacation ?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I was voting our proxy for Grande Vista and saw this. We don't have the estimated budget yet for Grande Vista.

The State of Florida permits the annual waiver or reduction of the statutory reserve contribution with an affirmative vote by the majority of those Owners voting by proxy or in person at a duly called meeting of the membership. Do you want to provide for less reserve funding than is required by §718.112(2)(f), Florida Statutes, for the Association’s next fiscal year?

A majority “No” Vote will result in the Reserve Maintenance Fee contribution for 2015 being $315.93 per unit week. This represents the Fully Funded annual contribution level for 2015. In 2014, your Reserve Maintenance Fee contribution was $244.00 per unit week. Your Board of Directors recommends a vote “YES” for waiver or reduction of the statutory reserve annual contribution for 2015.

Yes/No​

If you voted “Yes”, vote for one of the Board proposed options below: (The option with the most votes will be the one implemented by the Association.)

Between $244 - $275 Reserve Maintenance Fee contribution per Unit Week
(Recommended by your Board of Directors)

Between $295 - $310 Reserve Maintenance Fee contribution per Unit Week​

I suspect when we get the Notice of Budget meeting that it will have the estimated reserves of $315.93. I am thinking this disclosure/voting is a new requirement in the state of Florida. I have never seen the option in the past where they gave the owners the option to determine how much they wanted to pay. If the waiver passes, we will be paying less than what is being reported in the estimated budget.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I think it is a relatively new Florida law. I saw it for the first time last year for my FL condo. The downside of not fully funding is a possible special assessments down the road - pay me now or pay me later!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think it is a relatively new Florida law. I saw it for the first time last year for my FL condo. The downside of not fully funding is a possible special assessments down the road - pay me now or pay me later!

I don't think that it is not fully funding the reserve. They are not fully funding it based on state law. They have done at least two full cycle 10 year refurbishments at Grande Vista and no special assessment yet. So they are fully funding it to meet those needs based on their cash flow projections.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So do you think Florida is requiring excessive reserves and the remedy is that the owners can overrule it?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
So do you think Florida is requiring excessive reserves and the remedy is that the owners can overrule it?

One reason the HOA Board might recommend voting against Fully-Funded Reserves is that the law stipulates certain lifetimes for certain items while a professional audit of the property reasonably extends those cycles. For example, the state might stipulate a ten-year lifetime for a roof but the audit recommends a 12-year lifetime. Or, the audit/HOA Board can take into account any warranties that extend beyond the stipulated lifetimes.

It does seem like what's happening with the Florida resorts, if you go by what Dioxide copied from Grande Vista's proxy, is that they're now including the full-funding amounts in the proposed budgets and recommending two optional amounts if you vote for the waiver. Maybe it is new reporting regulations in play this year?

My concern with the two waiver options would be that the votes in favor of the waiver will be split and possibly, neither option will garner as many votes as those against the waiver.

For the South Carolina Marriott resorts it's a periodic proxy item and our only choices are Yes or No; we haven't been given more than one Yes option (and we don't get the benefit of proposed budgets being released prior to the Annual Meetings.) The waiver has passed every time it's been on the ballot and we haven't either been hit with any Special Assessments despite the resorts being routinely refurbished with the costs covered by collected Reserves. It'll be interesting to see if similar changes are on our ballots the next time it comes up for a vote.

Also - more in tune with the OP of this thread - it will be very interesting to see after the approved budgets are released if any of this speculation is in play.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We're not likely to ever see owner control of a Marriott branded timeshare in our lifetime. When you do, the Marriott name comes off the resort. It's happened before and nearly happened at Beachplace Towers before Marriott got rid of those struggling against Marriott's wishes.

With "owner control" often the priority becomes keeping MF low, so resort quality often suffers. I can totally understand why Marriott wants to keep control of HOA boards as long as their brand is on the property. They have a brand to protect. I think in many cases, when a HOA becomes owner controlled, the pressure to keep MF down often wins out over other owners who want to keep the quality up above a certain level. Marriott doesn't want to see that happen to their resort portfolio because if HOAs let quality drop, Marriott is forced to take their brand off the resort. With fewer resorts, the entire system is adversely impacted - fewer places for other owners to travel, etc. It could start a downward spiral. "Branded" timeshares are thus, by definition, a very different animal than non-branded HOA-controlled properties.

I view maintenance fees somewhat like taxes - unpleasant to pay, but entirely necessary if we are to get the quality and services expected. It's happening here in NC. They cut taxes a couple years ago, and now our education system and other state services are really suffering.

But unlike taxes which are mandatory, if you don't want to pay the higher MF of a "branded" timeshare, you don't have to buy one. Keeping that name out front helps keep the quality consistent, but it comes at a price.

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am all for maintaining standards and resort quality.
And I don't have a problem per se with Marriott retaining control of HOA.
I do believe it is healthy though to have strong "owner influence" (rather than "owner control") of HOA to challenge the appropriateness of decisions.
And as all 5 of my owned MVC resorts have, for 10 years and more now, successfully maintained standards and quality with single figure % MF increases (often in line with inflation, only rarely significantly higher), I would very seriously question the need for excessive level of 15% and even 28% similar to those referenced here for Crystal Shores and Villas at Doral!

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I am all for maintaining standards and resort quality.
And I don't have a problem per se with Marriott retaining control of HOA.
I do believe it is healthy though to have strong "owner influence" (rather than "owner control") of HOA to challenge the appropriateness of decisions.
And as all 5 of my owned MVC resorts have, for 10 years and more now, successfully maintained standards and quality with single figure % MF increases (often in line with inflation, only rarely significantly higher), I would very seriously question the need for excessive level of 15% and even 28% similar to those referenced here for Crystal Shores and Villas at Doral!

Agreed on "owner influence." Also remember, based on comments above, there is some speculation that the 15% or 28% proposed increases are driven by some requirement for a different way of treating reserves rather than a reflection of a desire to gouge on MF. So IF that is true, it may be somewhat beyond Marriott control.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Has anybody attempted to calculate what the MF uptick percentage will really be assuming the fully funded votes go the usual way....or isn't there enough info provided to do that?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Has anybody attempted to calculate what the MF uptick percentage will really be assuming the fully funded votes go the usual way....or isn't there enough info provided to do that?

Could probably be done with the figures for Grande Vista that Dioxide posted. It's math - you do it. :D

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Could probably be done with the figures for Grande Vista that Dioxide posted. It's math - you do it. :D

I think he posted that he didn't have the proposed budget for GV yet. Dioxide is a mathlete, I'm sure he'll be all over it when he gets the info.

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I attended the Crystal Shores Annual meeting for the first time ever. The 15% increase due to the high reserve amount did not pass, and the board was not for it. The lowest category - which I understood to be status quo with the existing reserve fees - is what passed. We dodged a bullet on this one.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I attended the Crystal Shores Annual meeting for the first time ever. The 15% increase due to the high reserve amount did not pass, and the board was not for it. The lowest category - which I understood to be status quo with the existing reserve fees - is what passed. We dodged a bullet on this one.

That's great news. I'm not sure how it's any more a "dodged bullet" this year than it's been in every other year that Fully-Funded Reserves (as mandated) are waived, but great news all the same. For you in particular I know you've had problems over the years engaging with the board at Crystal Shores, so I hope going to the Annual Meeting was a good experience for you.

But are you saying that the ballots for the Crystal Shores Annual Meeting were worded similarly to the one that Dioxide posted here for Grande Vista, in that the Waiver was a voting issue and you owners had a choice of tiered Reserves Funding on which to vote? Did the ballot packet include the proposed budget for Crystal Shores which Fractional Traveler used as the basis to start this thread?

Because for crying out loud, if that's the case then this whole panic-inducing thread could have been avoided! There's a big difference between a discussion about proposed MF's that reflect an unexplained 15% increase and a discussion about how/why Marriott notified Owners of apparent changes in their reporting of, and the Owners voting on, the Fully-Funded Reserves according to state mandate.

Geeesh.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's great news. I'm not sure how it's any more a "dodged bullet" this year than it's been in every other year that Fully-Funded Reserves (as mandated) are waived, but great news all the same. For you in particular I know you've had problems over the years engaging with the board at Crystal Shores, so I hope going to the Annual Meeting was a good experience for you.

But are you saying that the ballots for the Crystal Shores Annual Meeting were worded similarly to the one that Dioxide posted here for Grande Vista, in that the Waiver was a voting issue and you owners had a choice of tiered Reserves Funding on which to vote? Did the ballot packet include the proposed budget for Crystal Shores which Fractional Traveler used as the basis to start this thread?

Because for crying out loud, if that's the case then this whole panic-inducing thread could have been avoided! There's a big difference between a discussion about proposed MF's that reflect an unexplained 15% increase and a discussion about how/why Marriott notified Owners of apparent changes in their reporting of, and the Owners voting on, the Fully-Funded Reserves according to state mandate.

Geeesh.

Maybe some is reading this board and that is why it did passed.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maybe some is reading this board and that is why it did passed.

Definitely, could be that some were encouraged to vote in the Crystal Shores election because FT started the thread on Sep 12, two weeks before the Annual Meeting on Sep 26. That's great, whatever encourages folks to vote in their resort elections is a good thing!

But if the agenda and accompanying proposed budget were included in the same packet as the ballots, and the ballot was similar to the one posted by Dioxide for Grande Vista with several choices for waiving the Fully-Funded provision, why did FT encourage the panic that naturally follows ridiculous double-digit MF increases? Why didn't he explain right from the get-go that first, the 15% increase was proposed and not yet approved, and second, that a major component of the 15% increase was a maximum with lesser amounts also proposed? That's what I don't understand - MF's are already a difficult-enough topic to discuss; there's no good reason to manufacture additional drama around them.

If I'm wrong and the Crystal Shores owners weren't furnished with all of the information that was posted in this thread, and that if presented by FT would have introduced the topic in a less incendiary manner, then I'll owe FT an apology and I'll happily give it. :)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think he posted that he didn't have the proposed budget for GV yet. Dioxide is a mathlete, I'm sure he'll be all over it when he gets the info.

Correct, no proposed budget for Grande Vista. Though when I get it I will be sure to run the numbers. I do have the one for Harbour Lake, but didn't pay enough attention to the proxy because I simply voted against the waiver. Lets hope the rest of the Harbour Lake Citizens were smarter than I.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received the proposed budget for Mountainside which includes a 5.6% increase after a 7% increase last year. Key areas which exceeded inflation were housekeeping, front desk, board expenses, landscape maintenance, and internet. I continue to be concerned that MVC is not paying their fair share for the front desk and housekeeping increases caused by the shorter stays due to DC program. I also don't believe the curren HOA is doing their part to keep costs in line.

Although I love my timeshare weeks, I won't be able to afford them if their increases continue to be exhorbitant. :mad:

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think in many cases, when a HOA becomes owner controlled, the pressure to keep MF down often wins out over other owners who want to keep the quality up above a certain level.....

How many Weeks at HOA controlled Resorts do you own? I peaked out at 7. At every one the MFs were much lower but in every case the Resort was well managed and well maintained.

A good case in point was my Peregrine Week. The Resort was almost wiped out by a hurricane. The damage was more than substantial. The HOA totally rebuilt it without a Special Assessment. Another was Chateau Le Grand in Biloxi. Same deal, substantial hurricane damage and put back together without a Special Assessment. Do any of you think Marriott, HGVC, Wyndham, etc. would have done this without a Special Assessment?

George

Last edited: