• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Alaska airlines miserable experience checking in

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
This has to be the most disorganized airline I’ve seen for checking in. Three groups, 25 minutes with 4 agents trying to check passengers in. Kiosks not working as advertised. Not enough kiosks to begin with.
Needless to say as a first time Alaska flyer flying first class, it’s likely to be the last time
This is worse than anything I experienced on Frontier, and I stopped flying them 20 years ago

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Sorry about your experience.

We generally love Alaska, but our kids were not impressed with first class service from Maui. Our son said he has never had such bad service on United or Delta. He won't fly again. I was too out of it to notice bad service, as I had a broken arm and was on drugs and didn't want anything to drink on the flight because using the bathroom with a broken right arm would have required Rick to help. We wouldn't fit in that tiny bathroom. There would be three of us: him and me and my broken arm.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I think more and more people experience this kind of thing with many airlines. I saw this even with just going to Florida on American at the gates.

My neighbor was supposed to take American First Class home from Tennessee and to make a long story short- it didn’t happen. Was on the plane and then everyone had to get off and get on another plane.That gate clear across the other side the North Carolina Airport.

I’ll say it again- flying stinks

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
This has to be the most disorganized airline I’ve seen for checking in. Three groups, 25 minutes with 4 agents trying to check passengers in. Kiosks not working as advertised. Not enough kiosks to begin with.
Needless to say as a first time Alaska flyer flying first class, it’s likely to be the last time
This is worse than anything I experienced on Frontier, and I stopped flying them 20 years ago
What airport? Were you in the first class line? I haven't checked in at the airport in probably over 20 years.

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know some people have had some bad experiences with frontier and spirit, but I have flown both twice within the last 18 months and everything went smoothly even on an international with spirit. I have also flown southwest and united within the Continental USA during the same time and frankly speaking I didn't see a huge difference.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What airport? Were you in the first class line? I haven't checked in at the airport in probably over 20 years.
Yes - what airport was this?

I go through Alaska ticketing at least 20x/yr. I am Gold MVP and about half the time in FC. I almost always have checked baggage because I have a hard-side case with work gear that has to be checked.

I gave up airport check-in years ago - for all airlines, not just Alaska. The only thing I do at the airport is baggage check. For years I've checked in at home, then went to the FC/MVP counters to check my bags. About 6 months ago, Alaska revamped the check-in process, emphasizing self-tagging checked bags. Now, it's almost always faster to use the general bag drop line instead of using the more clogged MVP/First Class lines. (But that line is still faster than general check-in for flyers who haven't self-tagged.)

As noted, I'm going through Alaska ticketing and check-in 20x/yr. I have never noted anything like what you describe. That makes me think you happened to just hit on a glitch. If the situation you encountered was frequent, I'm pretty sure that I would have experienced it at least several times.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
As we've gotten older we've started using curb side check in when it's available. It's nice not having to haul our luggage through the airport. We do check in online at home, or on the app.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Wichita, KS……. and they didn’t have a first class line.
We did online check in, but the system wouldn’t validate our passports. Kiosks said to scan the passport. Wouldn’t work. They had one agent working the line. She took all our info and attempted to text us our boarding passes three times. Failed all three times.
Part of the problem was the first three passengers all had problems and only one of the desk agents knew how to handle anything other than a standard check in.
As we stood there with only 5 parties ahead of us, I watched the SWA’s desk clear an entire 737 check in before Alaska got us to the desk.
Needless to say, I’m not impressed.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
As we've gotten older we've started using curb side check in when it's available. It's nice not having to haul our luggage through the airport. We do check in online at home, or on the app.
We generally Don’t check luggage, but we’re taking a cruise and it was necessary this trip. Our airport is small enough we don’t have consider baggage drop. We have used it when it’s been available at larger airports, but we rarely have checked bags anymore

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We generally Don’t check luggage, but we’re taking a cruise and it was necessary this trip. Our airport is small enough we don’t have consider baggage drop. We have used it when it’s been available at larger airports, but we rarely have checked bags anymore
We always have checked luggage.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We did online check in, but the system wouldn’t validate our passports.
That is probably correct. We went through TSA precheck, where they do look at passports, and when we were approved we received a Known Traveler Number from TSA, which is linked to our passports. So, we can check in with passport on-line. That gets us to the gate, so we can bypass the line at the check-in counter. But then, at the gate we still need to show our passports to the gate agent.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Airlines like rental car agencies, if you stop using one after a bad experience you will quickly run out of options.
True, but sometimes it’s bad enough that the other bad options don’t seem as bad. AA is not my favorite, but their first class price is often acceptable and the service, while not the best, is tolerable.
I’d fly Alaska over Frontier any day of the week, but maybe not before AA if flying first class. If flying coach I’d likely fly Alaska over AA because the level of service is negligible between the two.
We choose Alaska this trip for 3 reasons initially.
1. Route and flight times
2. Price point
3. I wanted to try them and see if they were a viable option for future west coast flights

1. They changed our flight times to a point we had a 7 hour layover (happens with ALL airlines)
2. The price was great but the service was lacking
3. Now I know.

I really can’t say I won’t fly Alaska again. If I’m not checking bags and not flying internationally, I’d likely have had no problems. The problem was the international flight and their inability to issue a boarding pass without physically checking the passport. It has been years since we flew an international flight. Maybe things have changed. The last time we flew internationally we could get our boarding passes but had to show our passports before being allowed to board the plane. With Alaska we couldn’t even get our boarding passes without physically showing our passports to the ticket agent. Maybe every other airline has to do it this way as well in today’s new world order.
Not having a line to expedite first class ticket holders is an issue for me. Maybe I’m a travel snob, but if I pay a first class price I want first class treatment, and that includes a line to check me in ahead of passengers who don’t fly enough to know how the process works.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I would concur that Alaska service is likely worse at airports where they don't have a big presence. If they only have one flight in and out of an airport, it's likely that the local crew isn't very large and is part time only. That one flight makes an arrival, then is serviced and departs. So not a lot of depth.

I find that to often be an issue with baggage claim in those airports. They often have just one person, so there is an issue, that person is immediately swamped.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We just flew Alaska to Cabo last week. We used an app called Airside to upload our passport info so that we could get our boarding passes when we checked in. It was a bit finicky but we were both able to get boarding passes. We rarely check bags so I can't comment on that (other than that the baggage claim area in Cabo was a hot mess to be avoided at all costs judging by the look of it). Air travel is not a relaxing experience these days, that's for sure.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
We just flew Alaska to Cabo last week. We used an app called Airside to upload our passport info so that we could get our boarding passes when we checked in. It was a bit finicky but we were both able to get boarding passes. We rarely check bags so I can't comment on that (other than that the baggage claim area in Cabo was a hot mess to be avoided at all costs judging by the look of it). Air travel is not a relaxing experience these days, that's for sure.
Tried to use airside. It read my passport but I could never get it to read my wife’s. After so many attempts is said try again after 24 hours.

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
True, but sometimes it’s bad enough that the other bad options don’t seem as bad. AA is not my favorite, but their first class price is often acceptable and the service, while not the best, is tolerable.
I’d fly Alaska over Frontier any day of the week, but maybe not before AA if flying first class. If flying coach I’d likely fly Alaska over AA because the level of service is negligible between the two.
We choose Alaska this trip for 3 reasons initially.
1. Route and flight times
2. Price point
3. I wanted to try them and see if they were a viable option for future west coast flights

1. They changed our flight times to a point we had a 7 hour layover (happens with ALL airlines)
2. The price was great but the service was lacking
3. Now I know.

I really can’t say I won’t fly Alaska again. If I’m not checking bags and not flying internationally, I’d likely have had no problems. The problem was the international flight and their inability to issue a boarding pass without physically checking the passport. It has been years since we flew an international flight. Maybe things have changed. The last time we flew internationally we could get our boarding passes but had to show our passports before being allowed to board the plane. With Alaska we couldn’t even get our boarding passes without physically showing our passports to the ticket agent. Maybe every other airline has to do it this way as well in today’s new world order.
Not having a line to expedite first class ticket holders is an issue for me. Maybe I’m a travel snob, but if I pay a first class price I want first class treatment, and that includes a line to check me in ahead of passengers who don’t fly enough to know how the process works.
All airlines do require that you scan your passport for international flighs, check in luggage or not. Some have an app that you can use for that process. For some you have to do it at the airport kiosk. Seems in your case the kiosk wasn't working and they did not have a viable fall back plan.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Tried to use airside. It read my passport but I could never get it to read my wife’s. After so many attempts is said try again after 24 hours.
I was not so easy to use but the little videos actually helped me. I also had to take my phone case off so that it could read the chip.

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Airlines like rental car agencies, if you stop using one after a bad experience you will quickly run out of options.
You mean like blowing doors out while traveling over your house?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We did online check in, but the system wouldn’t validate our passports. Kiosks said to scan the passport. Wouldn’t work. They had one agent working the line. She took all our info and attempted to text us our boarding passes three times. Failed all three times.
Part of the problem was the first three passengers all had problems and only one of the desk agents knew how to handle anything other than a standard check in.
As we stood there with only 5 parties ahead of us, I watched the SWA’s desk clear an entire 737 check in before Alaska got us to the desk.

We had a problem at SeaTac leaving to Cabo. The machine that prints the checked bag tag wasn't working. We almost missed our flight because the 20 Alaska employees doing nothing wouldn't help. I was pissed but since then Alaska Airlines has really came through for us so I'm pretty happy with them now.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

We use the Alaska Airlines app and check in 24 hours before our flights. Everything is on our phone. Coming home on International flights we have Global Entry and it is a fast way through US Customs and includes TSA Precheck.

The thing that I dislike the most about travel is the flying.

Bill

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
Isn't there just 1 E175 a day out of there?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You mean like blowing doors out while traveling over your house?
People are still flying Alaska. Air disasters don’t really stop people from flying. Has any airline gone out of business because of one? Perhaps PanAm.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Are you saying you can't check in on line with international flights because you have to show a passport? Unless you use that Airside app?

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Isn't there just 1 E175 a day out of there?
Yes, but they utilize AA, their one world partner to creatively gain more routes. Our flight home will be Seattle to DFW on an Alaska 737 (the model that demonstrates Beoing managements open door policy) connecting with an AA flight for the final legs home