• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone use the Short stays in II?

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Have you used the short stays in II?
What type of inventory do you see?
Specifically wondering if they allow you to see the good stuff like DVC and Marriotts, etc?
Or is it just overbuilt areas?

I just have a regular account so haven't upgraded to see if it's worth it or not.
I usually just use 5 or 6 nights out of a week anyway.
Thanks.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Mainly overbuilt. Kinda leftovers of leftovers. There are always exceptions.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Mainly overbuilt. Kinda leftovers of leftovers. There are always exceptions.
Thanks.
So in the overbuilt, is it overbuilt Marriotts in Orlando?
I go to Orlando often.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
@chriske, as @dioxide45 stated there are always exceptions. I did my first short-stay exchange in 2012 to stay at Vidanta's Grand Luxxe...it's still the best TS we've stayed in.

Last year, we did a short stay at Marriott's Maui Ocean Club on Maui. In 2 weeks we're headed to Marriott's Kauai Beach Club on a short stay.

You can check short stay exchanges at anytime. I see Marriotts and Sheratons in Orlando available between now and October.

dekeblack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
So in the overbuilt, is it overbuilt Marriotts in Orlando?
I go to Orlando often.
I use short stays a lot for Orlando. I mostly do Marriotts, and have done a short stay for a lot of them. I have seen a DVC for a short stay, but it was shortly after Disney moved back to II and there was a lot of Disney availability (not a lot of availability in short stays, but a lot of availability in exchanges). I have not seen DVC in short stays for quite a while, even if the unit is within a couple days of check-in on the exchange side.

claraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Los Suenos
Last year, we did a short stay at Marriott's Maui Ocean Club on Maui. In 2 weeks we're headed to Marriott's Kauai Beach Club on a short stay.
What were the approximate per night rate for these short stays in Hawaii? I'm curious to know. Whenever I've searched for a short stay (not Hawaii), the price always seemed not worth it vs a week Getaway for the same location.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Random date in September (5 nights. Marriotts and Sheratons.
IMG_3833.png

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also saw Grande Vista, Harbor Lakes, Royal and Sabal Palms.

It would be a good deal for you.

dekeblack

TUG Member
Reaction score
What were the approximate per night rate for these short stays in Hawaii? I'm curious to know. Whenever I've searched for a short stay (not Hawaii), the price always seemed not worth it vs a week Getaway for the same location.
The short stay I use is the Short Stay Exchange - which is trading my 7 night week for two stays (ranging from 1 to 6 nights). So I can book up to 12 nights for my 7 night deposit. It's not the Short Stay Getaways... as I found the same thing in that it usually is not a value compared to the full getaway (and for the units I want, the getaway is not always a value compared to a straight exchange). I like the Short Stay Exchange, but it is best for places like Orlando that have a lot of availability.

claraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Los Suenos
@dekeblack that makes sense. Sorry for my confusion!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Also remember that ShortStay exchange has different exchange fees than a regular exchange and they don't qualify for any kind of discounting like Marriott to Marriott/Vistana or Vistana to Vistana/Marriott. You also have to pay the exchange fee twice to book both parts of the short stay to use your whole week. You can get more than a week out of two ShortStays though. I also suspect that much of what is available under ShortStay may also be available in Getaway inventory. So check getaways also as it may be cheaper to book a getaway vs the all in cost of your ShortStay exchange.

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Also saw Grande Vista, Harbor Lakes, Royal and Sabal Palms.

It would be a good deal for you.
Thanks. I didn't realize they had cash short stays too.
I was thinking they only did the 6 night short stay exchanges.
This is even better. Hmmmm.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Also remember that ShortStay exchange has different exchange fees than a regular exchange and they don't qualify for any kind of discounting like Marriott to Marriott/Vistana or Vistana to Vistana/Marriott. You also have to pay the exchange fee twice to book both parts of the short stay to use your whole week. You can get more than a week out of two ShortStays though. I also suspect that much of what is available under ShortStay may also be available in Getaway inventory. So check getaways also as it may be cheaper to book a getaway vs the all in cost of your ShortStay exchange.

I don't own a Marriott yet but was thinking to pick up a 2 bedroom lock off biennial to do trading and split it up into short stays to get 4 weeks out of it.
My CMV UDI was downgraded and isn't seeing what it used to see so it's being kicked to the curb. LOL

Do you know if II would throw in an AC as well that would see anything worth picking up in possibly Ocean Pointe?
I do want to also try to get a unit at either Crystal Shores or Oceana Palms every other year with 1 side of the unit.

I go off season so hopefully will be able to do that with the Marriott preference.
I have been able to get into Oceana Palms but not CS with my CMV until recently.

Maybe I should just upgrade and look at the short stay rentals like you suggest.
Seems these exchange companies are taking the inventory for rentals anyway.
RCI had so much for rent that was cheaper than doing an exchange when I looked this past week it's not worth it
with them so wondering if II is following their playbook.

Thanks for your suggestions.
BTW, loving your channel.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I use short stays a lot for Orlando. I mostly do Marriotts, and have done a short stay for a lot of them. I have seen a DVC for a short stay, but it was shortly after Disney moved back to II and there was a lot of Disney availability (not a lot of availability in short stays, but a lot of availability in exchanges). I have not seen DVC in short stays for quite a while, even if the unit is within a couple days of check-in on the exchange side.
Thanks.
Seems they've tweaked things so much lately that nothing is reliable with exchanges.
Thank God for TUG. LOL

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. I didn't realize they had cash short stays too.
I was thinking they only did the 6 night short stay exchanges.
This is even better. Hmmmm.
They can be 2-6 day getaways. And everyone can buy them not just gold/plat

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
They can be 2-6 day getaways. And everyone can buy them not just gold/plat
Thanks. Good to know. I guess I need to start looking more at the getaways. I didn't realize they did 2 nights.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Back when they started ShortStay getaways we tried them out. They had a big sale and we scored a couple Marriott studios for under $100 each.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't own a Marriott yet but was thinking to pick up a 2 bedroom lock off biennial to do trading and split it up into short stays to get 4 weeks out of it.
My CMV UDI was downgraded and isn't seeing what it used to see so it's being kicked to the curb. LOL

Do you know if II would throw in an AC as well that would see anything worth picking up in possibly Ocean Pointe?
I do want to also try to get a unit at either Crystal Shores or Oceana Palms every other year with 1 side of the unit.
Not sure if this is what you are asking about, but we are sometimes offered an AC for deposit of our Grande Vista weeks.

Ocean Pointe and Oceana Palms are relatively easy trades to make. Ocean Pointe is easier than Oceana Palms mainly because Ocean Pointe is larger and has 1BR and Studio units.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

I go off season so hopefully will be able to do that with the Marriott preference.
I have been able to get into Oceana Palms but not CS with my CMV until recently.

Maybe I should just upgrade and look at the short stay rentals like you suggest.
Seems these exchange companies are taking the inventory for rentals anyway.
RCI had so much for rent that was cheaper than doing an exchange when I looked this past week it's not worth it
with them so wondering if II is following their playbook.

Thanks for your suggestions.
BTW, loving your channel.
I have done a few short stay getaways in Orlando and I booked Sheraton Resort, Villages, and Grand Vista. I check frequently and lately ive seen a lot of studios at grand vista. You will be able to get some 2 bedrooms at Marriotts and sheratons. Ive also seen prices vary. Last I checked was a few weeks back for a late April early may check in and the prices were only slightly less than the full week getaway.

In regards to your purchase plan of a Marriott resale. If you're looking to exchange into Florida locations you can always look or a Grand Vista unit that's in the Florida Club. Only issue here is if you want to exchange into DVC. There are no DVC exchanges with Orlando ownerships. If you're mostly exchanging into Orlando, have you thought of an independent like The Colonies? You can likely pull some really nice inventory with a 4 bedroom unit. You won't be paying any lock off fees like you will with a Marriott and the Maint fee is much less. You will sacrifice Marriott priority in II but that may not be a big deal depending on where you're trying to exchange into.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have done a few short stay getaways in Orlando and I booked Sheraton Resort, Villages, and Grand Vista. I check frequently and lately ive seen a lot of studios at grand vista. You will be able to get some 2 bedrooms at Marriotts and sheratons. Ive also seen prices vary. Last I checked was a few weeks back for a late April early may check in and the prices were only slightly less than the full week getaway.

In regards to your purchase plan of a Marriott resale. If you're looking to exchange into Florida locations you can always look or a Grand Vista unit that's in the Florida Club. Only issue here is if you want to exchange into DVC. There are no DVC exchanges with Orlando ownerships. If you're mostly exchanging into Orlando, have you thought of an independent like The Colonies? You can likely pull some really nice inventory with a 4 bedroom unit. You won't be paying any lock off fees like you will with a Marriott and the Maint fee is much less. You will sacrifice Marriott priority in II but that may not be a big deal depending on where you're trying to exchange into.
She's a Marriott girl

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently used short stay exchange . I booked 4 nights in Orlando for one trip and 6 nights in Orlando for a second trip. Vistana for the first and Marriott Harbour Lakes for the second. The MF for the week I used went up ALOT so at least I felt like I was getting more out of it!

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
Granted I am still learning II and no idea if you can do a sort exchange but according to DVC - DVC shouldn't be showing up in getaways or short stay getaways- it’s in the DVC II paperwork that it’s exchanges only.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Granted I am still learning II and no idea if you can do a sort exchange but according to DVC - DVC shouldn't be showing up in getaways or short stay getaways- it’s in the DVC II paperwork that it’s exchanges only.
I believe they were referencing seeing DVC in the Short Stay Exchanges not Getaways.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you are specifically looking for a short stay exchange and not a getaway, you can still search it yourself without upgrading. It will just indicate that you have to pay the upgrade fee to gold or platinum at the same time as paying the exchange fee if you want to go ahead with the booking. I once got two 6 night stays at Marriott Surf Club in early May (off season) with a single deposit which happened to be a late flexchange deposit on top of everything. Like a lot of II things, sometimes you can find gems but don't expect anything in really hard to get areas in prime time.