• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are there really any buyers out there now?

earl1379ann

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just found TUG, after trying to sell my Florida timeshare for years and gettig scammed twice! What I want to know is this: with the down economy, are there really any buyers out there?

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most buyers aren't really looking to "BUY" at this point...with Ebay deals running around $1-$200 we're seeing that and noting how much of a buyers market it really is

I'm looking for a timeshare now..but with prices being so low...i'm not so much looking to "Buy" a timeshare as take one where the Seller is willing to pickup all the fees and costs involved...i.e. be paid to take it

I'm new...But from what i can tell...You can't get rid of a timeshare now unless your willing to pay someone to take...Which compared to some of the resale scams out their(Charging you 2-3k to sell for you) the $5-600 in fees should seem like a deal to most sellers

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I think people are very cautious with the economy, but I've been a buyer and a seller in this economy. I sold some DVC (Disney points) a few months ago and got my price that I wanted to sell at - $71 a point.

I also bought some Wyndham points resale, but they weren't free. Pretty close to free, but not totally - :D They were at a resort with low maintenance fees so I didn't expect to get it for free because it's considered desirable.

If you have a resort or system that's high end like Disney, Hyatt, or Hilton Grand Vacation Club that you are wanting to purchase, you're not going to get it for free. But the prices are definitely lower than they were a few years ago.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
if your ad wont sell for a single dollar....you cant pay anyone to take it either without getting ripped off....so as an absolute last resort...try to give it away for $0 (or even sweeten the deal by paying all costs involved).

Also note there were nearly 200 completed listings in the marketplace last month.

Last edited:

foreverloves

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just bought a timeshare (in Hilton Head Island). I disagree a little bit in that we did pay a relatively small amount (about $150 plus the closing costs) but the season was really terrific. I wouldn't say no one is buying. What I see, as a potential buyer, are sellers who cannot accept that their "investment" (and I use that term loosely!) isn't worth very much in most cases. The market (for the most part) IS ebay, so check ebay to see if there are any completed listings for your timeshare. That gives you a good idea of what it's truly worth.

The biggest downside I have seen has been in sellers who apparently really do not want to unload their timeshare and want way too much money for their "asset". If you have something in a desirable resort, a great season, you might get a few bucks for it. (Yes, even in "overbuilt" Orlando - I've seen it too many times).

However, if you own something that is readily available, not in a great season, etc, you may find that you are "paying someone" to take it off your hands. I don't mean those scammers either. I mean, you might pay all or part of the closing costs to a new buyer. That might cost you $300-$500, but then you are done with it forever. A heck of a lot cheaper than those scam artists who want you to pay them 2 grand or something and they'll take it.

There are buyers out there. Be realistic with your price, offer to pay closing, and you'll likely find someone who will take it. It may be a tough pill to swallow at first, but when you don't get that maintenance fee bill in January, it'll probably be the best money you spent! :)

momof3

Reaction score
I am new to traditional timesharing. I have owned DVC for 7 years now and love it! I just put in an offer for a Marriott timeshare and did not get it for free-not even close. It is at a highly sought after resort for President's week-so with that I think they go for a premium (hope so for my sake). I am a teacher with zero flexibility-so this is one of the few timeshares that work for me. I am actually now thinking of buying another week during Platinum season, so I can get my 13 month booking window. So crazy people like me are buying!

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would assert that Redweek is more of a market for sellers than ebay as all of the cheapsters are attracted to ebay. Now if you are a buyer, then go to ebay. That having been said, while the economy is down, so is the timeshare market. We recently sold a summer winner circle off of Redweek about six months ago for $2,000 which we thought was fair. One alternative is to study the postings on the tug board and really learn how to use your timeshare instead of selling it. It seems that a lot of folks underutilize their timeshare for years, then wake up and make an instant decision that they want to sell it right now. Funtime

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope...

... from what i can tell...You can't get rid of a timeshare now unless your willing to pay someone to take...

As in most things in life, there are rarely any "one size fits all" accurate conclusions. The "conclusion" above is flat out wrong, with all due respect.

You can't just simply generalize about "'a timeshare", since where the week is, what the week / unit is, and when the week is make all the difference in the world. Prime, high demand weeks in prime, high demand locations have lost little (if any) value, as near as I can tell. Dog weeks in Orlando /Kissimmee, Las Vegas or Branson, MO --- well that's certainly another story entirely...

In short, there are simply no accurate "one size fits all" (accurate) conclusions. I'm looking to buy, but with clear and specific objectives (...and I don't expect to be "given" what I'm looking for).

Last edited:

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would assert that Redweek is more of a market for sellers than ebay as all of the cheapsters are attracted to ebay. Now if you are a buyer, then go to ebay. That having been said, while the economy is down, so is the timeshare market.

I'm not sure the sales volume at Redweek...but on 8-15 44 timeshares sold on Ebay, and that just one day...and a Sunday...i don't think Redweek compares to that

If you want to Really know what people are willing to pay for your timeshare the best thing to do is search comparable SOLD timeshares on Ebay...At this point there isn't a timeshare in the world worth more then $2000 including transfer and exchange fees...and thats being generous...most aren't worth more then $100-$200 dollars

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
As in most things in life, there are rarely any "one size fits all" accurate conclusions. The "conclusion" above is flat out wrong, with all due respect.

You can't just simply generalize about "'a timeshare", since where the week is, what the week / unit is, and when the week is make all the difference in the world. Prime, high demand weeks in prime, high demand locations have lost little (if any) value, as near as I can tell. Dog weeks in Orlando /Kissimmee, Las Vegas or Branson, MO --- well that's certainly another story entirely...

In short, there are simply no accurate "one size fits all" (accurate) conclusions. I'm looking to buy, but with clear and specific objectives (...and I don't expect to be "given" what I'm looking for).

At this point with this market there is...Search even the most desirable timeshares on ebay...and you'll see they're either overprices and DON'T sell or they sell for rock bottom prices...Its a buyers market...The only way to get rid of a timeshare now is to Give it away

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The NEW sales model is sometimes a giveaway

More and more this is the method of "selling" a timeshare. It is SUCH a buyers market that it may go further and the "buyer" expects the transfer fees and closing paid as well. All they are agreeing to assume are the future annual fees. And many owners are now happy that is an option - they have enjoyed (hopefully) a decade or more of ownership/use/trade and now are ready to simply pass it on to be out from the obligation of those annual fees.

In some ways maybe this is the ultimate answer for resale of used timeshares. If it works and keeps the resorts viable its really not so bad. Far better than the paying of $2900-$5000 to the recycled timeshare sales scum that are now in the PCC business that is one of the few ripoffs bigger than most retail timeshare purchases tend to be compared to resales now.

If the market evolves that lets owners get a few hundred dollars for the best weeks plus closings/transfer by the buyer - the mid value weeks get zero for the ownership but most of the transfer costs paid while the dogs basically require all fees be paid by the SELLER (and maybe some annual fees!). At least the ownership gets handled correctly, not simply walked away from for others to deal with, while the buyer gets the future use value and the current owner now can rest easy. All in all not bad as I said.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wrong again...

At this point there isn't a timeshare in the world worth more then $2000 including transfer and exchange fees...and thats being generous...most aren't worth more then $100-$200 dollars

That's nonsense (no offense intended). Rest assured that high demand, high value weeks aren't being placed on "eBay" for giveaway prices. eBay is not the "be all and end all". It is indeed the benchmark for "rock bottom" prices, but the "best" weeks will never be seen there to begin with, imho...

In the past week alone, I was offered (by another owner) $5k for a week I own at a relatively small resort. The week was not advertised and is, in fact, not for sale. If it was, I wouldn't settle for $5k.

I realize, acknowledge and respect that you are new to the game, but my (admittedly unsolicited) advice would be to be a bit more careful about making grand conclusions when, with all due respect, you don't yet really have the knowledge or the facts to be making such broad proclamations. ;)

Last edited:

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's just nonsense. Rest assured that the high demand, high value weeks aren't showing up on "eBay" at giveawy prices.

In the past week, I was offered $5k for a week I own at a relatively small resort. The week was not advertised iand is, in fact, not for sale. If it was, I wouldn't settle for $5k.

I realize and acknowledge that you are new to the game, but my (admittedly unsolicited) advice would be careful about making grand conclusions when, with all due respect, you don't yet really have the knowledge or the facts to be making such broad proclamations. ;)

Which week at what resort are you speaking of that was worth over $5,000? I'd be interested to learn how thats possible, when mosts are selling for pennies on the dollar...When Flight costs are up and hotel costs/rental prices are down

If this is true...i'd like to congratulate you on having the one of if not the Only TS with any Resale value left...Even if this is true...In most cases its not...Its not right to mislead the OP and have him assume his TS is worth anything

Last edited:

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Simply no timeshare in the tens of thousands anymore.

You are kidding yourself and wasting your money if you pay anymore than $1000-2000 for ANY timeshare today. Above that you will never get your money back out. And there is no reason to pay that as virtually any week - even those you want to think are special - can be obtained easily on trade or rental. Even if you pay a premium over the annual fee for the rental (also more and more rare, but does still happen) the net cost for the occasional rental of those "prime" use periods is far less than the long term costs of fees and, if you go your route, high cost initial purchase. This is especially true as the type of week you are talking about are often under developer management which means super high annual fees that are only going higher. Let the current owner take the hit and deal with the obligations they represent. Paying too much to take over a high cost commitment to unknown future fees makes zero sense.

There are far too many great choices out there to make any timeshare worth more than a few thousand today. And more and more the limited pool of buyers are realizing they hold ALL the cards in this hand.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Apples vs. Oranges...

Its not right to mislead the OP and have him assume his TS is worth anything

I've made no reference whatsoever to the OP and I have no idea what the OP owns; I'm certainly not "misleading" the OP (or anyone else). I am merely pointing out that broad generalizations (like yours) are rarely universally accurate and I am offering my own input and perspective, as is my prerogative.
You are certainly entitled to disagree, even with limited background and knowledge...

Fixed, "Snowbird" weeks in coastal SW Florida (...let's say between Sarasota and Marco Island, to provide an even more specific example) have lost little if any value, as near as I can determine (...and I search for them all the time). Go ahead-- try and find one between weeks 6 -13, at any price below $5k or more.

If you do find one below $5k (...on "eBay" or anywhere else) please be sure to let me know (1BR minimum, no studios). I would expect to have to pay upwards of $5k. I'm looking to add a week 9 and a week 10 to my ownerships. Maybe I'll even offer you a finder's fee...;)

Last edited:

foreverloves

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's just not a one-size-fits-all situation.

A platinum Newport Coast Villas might sell for $8K (or more).

A floating Silver season at Sunset Pointe can barely be GIVEN away. I've watched the same auction for a Colorado Marriott resort (in summer season) go TWICE without selling. Right now, you can find that auction on ebay (if it's still up there) for $197 - TAX, TITLE & TAGS (meaning closing costs). The whole kit and kaboodle for less than 200 bucks. There's a pretty desperate seller on ebay (private - not one of the big companies) who is trying to sell Breckenridge and their starting bid is 10 bucks (also I think a summer season).

My experience with redweek was a seller to tried to tell me that a bronze Barony Beach week was worth $8K. I mean eight THOUSAND DOLLARS. They tried to throw the ROFR thing out there as a means to convince me that this week was worth that. Um, no. Not even close. Not even REMOTELY close.

I would postulate that most redweek buyers are either afraid of ebay or don't really use it. They look at redweek ads and compare them to other redweek ads. They think if that talk a seller down a few hundred or even thousand dollars based on the other redweek postings, they've done well. A quick check of ebay will almost always suggest otherwise.

And it's not just 'dog' weeks showing up on ebay for pennies. Royal Dunes is a terrific, RCI Gold Crown resort and I got their gold season for $153. This season includes August and part of mid June. Hardly a dog. Barony Beach sold to one buyer for $300 (it was a silver season which often includes president's week). An EOY Gold Grande Vista sold for $600.

Are you going to find anything remotely close to that on redweek? No way.

Redweek has its place, and there ARE timeshares out there that are worth more than a few hundred bucks. The best thing is to check completed ebay listings and work from there. I don't think Redweek has the same level of transparency (with completed sales info) that ebay has.

foreverloves

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would assert that Redweek is more of a market for sellers than ebay as all of the cheapsters are attracted to ebay. Funtime

I just bought off ebay. I guess I am a "cheapster". Or maybe just a buyer who isn't willing to overpay and wants to pay precisely what the market will bear. Which, in a relatively transparent, auction-style environment like ebay, is easy to ascertain. It's like pulling comparables when you make an offer on real estate. If your neighbor sold a similar home for $100K, why should I pay $150K?

I want to buy a timeshare for what is comparable market value, not some overinflated redweek price. If that makes me a "cheapster", that's okay. If I want to someday sell, I'll be happy to unload it to some other "cheapster" and not feel badly, because I didn't overpay to begin with.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fixed, "Snowbird" weeks in coastal SW Florida (...let's say between Sarasota and Marco Island, to provide an even more specific example, have lost little if any value, as near as I can determine (...and I search for them all the time). Go ahead-- try and find one between weeks 6 -13, at any price.

If you do find one (on "eBay" or anywhere else) please be sure to let me know (1BR minimum, no studios). I expect to (and I would readily) pay upwards of $5k. I'm looking to add a week 9 and a week 10 to my ownerships. I don't much care about later "resale value".

I don't know what Timeshare ARE between Sarasota and Marco Island...seems like a very slim area...is there more then a couple?

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got a map?

I don't know what Timeshare ARE between Sarasota and Marco Island...seems like a very slim area...is there more then a couple?

That's a pretty good stretch of coastline; check a map. There are A FEW DOZEN timeshares within that specified geographic range.

C'mon --- go earn your finder's fee. ;)

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
A platinum Newport Coast Villas might sell for $8K (or more).

This is a good point...honestly i haven't searched Mariott that much as they seem to be obscenely overpriced...and i'm sure the Average TS Buyer agrees(Out of the 44 SOLD TS on Ebay on 8-15 Zero were Mariott)

I think you guys will find overtime that the high priced TS just don't sell..Why buy a week at Mariott when you can buy three weeks at Wyndham around the corner for half the price...Right now it appears that the prices just haven't stablized with the market yet....before you know it, everything will equal out

Goofyhobbie

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Ways To Find A Buyer and/or Use Your Timeshare

To earl1379ann and others who come across this thread:

Those Sellers who come to TUG, in today's market, for the purpose of selling their timeshare should quickly realize that selling to someone who has visited TUG is going to be difficult unless the Unit in question is exceptional because of the Developer, the Location, and the Season. (High demand season includes periods when Kids are out of school and the peak of the Ski Season for Ski oriented resorts.)

There is an on-going albeit weak market for selling timeshare in this economy where you can get a fair but not exceptional price (probably somewhere south of 50% of original retail) if you are fortunate enough to find a buyer who specifically wants what you have to sell and is aware that you are in fact selling.

Examples:

1) Individuals who are not Internet Savvy; but have bought into the concept of timeshare and want to add to their portfolio. These folks can usually be found as owners at a desired Resort where you currently own. They may be someone who already owns the same Week that you own but a different Unit or someone who owns a Week prior to your Week at the same Resort or a Week following your Week at the same Resort. As their extended family has grown they have found that their particular accommodations have also been out grown and to them it may make sense to buy an additional Week to accommodate the people they care most about. I sold a Sands Ocean Club 2-BR Unit to just such a person in March of 2009 which was right at the height of this poor economy. My original purchase price was $8,000 for a Week 30 in 1998 and I was fortunate enough to get $5,500 net in 2009.

2) Individuals who are on vacation, maybe staying in a hotel for the umpteenth time, who have recently been through a timeshare presentation and been bitten by the "I want a timeshare bug;" but definitely do not want to pay the high prices that developers want them to pay are also within your Market. Those folks leave the sales presentation primed and eager to buy; but they are going to look elsewhere.

You as a Seller, have to get their attention! One way to do that is to cut a deal with a re-seller who works on commission and has a location preferably across the street or up the block from the Resort. You should NOT pay an exorbitant listing fee and until you find a broker you are comfortable with you should keep on-looking.

3) There are individuals who simply have not discovered that E-Bay has a market for timeshare and most of those folks have never become a buyer or seller on E-Bay. They get interested in timeshare because of friends, family, or whatever, and start looking in classifieds offered by resorts, newspapers, craigslist, and bulletin boards in such places as Mexican Restaurants, local gathering areas such as Libraries, Hospitals, and Churches and where ever people can see advertisements. When someone gets the itch to buy, they are not always going to go to the Internet and if they do go to the Internet they may not find TUG or E-Bay before actually pulling the trigger.

4) There are friends of family members who through verbal networking can be found who develop an interest in buying thinking they are getting a bargain simply because they are getting your great timeshare that you paid heavily to acquire for pennies on the dollar.

5) It is extremely rare to find someone looking to buy a timeshare and actually advertising that fact; but they do exist. Even here on TUG we periodically see folks advertising in the TUG Classifieds and specifically stating that they want this or that timeshare.

Don't give up hope in selling in this Market. To the contrary, learn from folks here who have done what you are trying to do and consider their advice.

Meanwhile, learn new ways to use your timeshare each year. If you have never rented, learn how to go about renting. If you have had trouble exchanging, learn how to be more flexible and consider other exchange companies that are mentioned here on TUG.

Consider offering the use of your specific Week of Timeshare in a Barter transaction. There are folks who have, in lieu of renting, simply given up their use in return for items of value that the other side of the Barter may have acquired wholesale. What is not so valuable to the other person may be of relatively high value to you and such a scenario is ripe for a Barter transaction.

Bottom Line , if you want to Sell, Rent, Barter, or Use your timeshare efficiently you may have to "think outside of the box." It takes patience and assertiveness; but you can get value for what you have.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Because of the economy, most timeshares are selling for 0-10% of original retail. It doesn't matter how much money you pay someone - it won't change the market. Florida has far more supply than demand, so even very nice resorts are going for $1 on ebay - I recently picked up a free week in Florida myself.

Here's how to find out what your timeshare is selling for on the resale market:

1) Register with eBay
2) Log into eBay
3) Search for the resort by exact name
4) Click on "completed listings" on the menu on the left

(Be sure you look at the completed listings - those are actually SELLING prices - you will find asking prices all over the place, but what really counts is what they actually sold for.)​

If you poke around a bit, you will see that there are more than 300 timeshares listed on ebay for $0-100 - most with no bids. Many people are having a hard time even giving away their timeshares these days.

If you discover that your TS has no resale value, it may be possible to give it away, if it is paid off, and all your fees are up to date. Let us know if you want more info. on that.

On the other hand, if you don't have to get rid of this timeshare, we can definitely help you get more use out of it. Let us know if you want more info. on that.

Whatever you do, don't pay any more upfront fees to sell it - that is always a scam!

e.bram

Reaction score
I generally don't agree with Theo on any thing. However in this case I am 100% in agreement with him(I assume not her)'
To wit: I bought a 2 br. fixed prime summer unit at Surfside(Falmouth,1 of 2 out of 44units at the resort where all rooms are oceanfront on the second floor) for $7000.00 about 5 years ago. I would not sell for $7000.00 and would buy another for that price(and maybe more) if one came available, which although I have been aggressively searching for , has not.
That having been said, I have two other units there(not prime summer), I would give away. Paid $250.00 and $300.00 about 7 years ago.

Last edited:

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Which week at what resort are you speaking of that was worth over $5,000? I'd be interested to learn how thats possible, when mosts are selling for pennies on the dollar...When Flight costs are up and hotel costs/rental prices are down

If this is true...i'd like to congratulate you on having the one of if not the Only TS with any Resale value left...Even if this is true...In most cases its not...Its not right to mislead the OP and have him assume his TS is worth anything

You have it right. The only real market in timeshare now is reasonably priced resales (and now that may mean a few hundred to maximum $2000) with reasonable fees (better be<$1000 or its on the ragged edge). All the other factors work against any value as travel costs, taxes, annual fees - paying for the "rights" to pay ever increasing fees on so called "premium" units/places/times is a fools game. Yes they are beautiful. Yes they cost plenty a couple years ago. Yes they WERE in high demand but the times have changed and the choices for buyers are incredible. There is just no reason to pay much for any timeshare when any even semi-informed resale buyer knows it is virtually impossible to find anyone to take any timeshare anywhere now.

But there will continue to be those who think they own one that the facts don't apply to. These are the ones you see for sale at $12K when two ads down there is a similar unit -unsold - for $2500. What they are thinking I don't know. But people can kid themselves all they want. When they go to sell the truth will finally hit them. And as you say if they did have the one timeshare that actually had more than one buyer willing to pay over $5000 they are in such a rare group as to be meaningless for 99.9% of all other owners.