• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge I-695 GONE

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Except for the fact that zero ships can navigate into or out of the actual port of Baltimore - which is upriver of where the failed bridge is now blocking all waters with hazardous materials from the failed bridge collapse. It has nothing to do with the trucks - it has to do with the shipping lanes being blocked. Same goes for all cruise ships - which also dock upriver.

Excerpt from that article: "The Maryland Port Administration announced on Tuesday the suspension of vessel traffic into and out of the Port of Baltimore until further notice. The port is not shut down and it's still processing trucks inside of the terminals."

Hopefully they can somehow clear collapsed bridge materials from the channel sooner rather than later - to at least re-establish the shipping lane ingress and egress from the port of Baltimore.
All cruise ships and cargo ships shipping lanes from the Port of Baltimore must be cancel correct.

The Governor of Maryland is reporting there are still 6 missing pot filling highway workers missing after the collapse of the bridge. Sad.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
It may take anywhere between 8 to 10 years to rebuild this bridge according to some highway and bridge engineers with VDOT.

Last edited:

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
It may take anywhere between 8 to 10 years to rebuild this bridge according to some highway and bridge engineers with VDOT.
They will have it reopened in a couple of years.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
"REPORT: There were no vehicles traveling on the Francis Scott Key Bridge when it fell into the ocean thanks to heroic police officers who jumped into action.

It has now been confirmed that the only people on the bridge when it collapsed was a pothole repair crew.

A total of eight workers were reportedly on a meal break when the cargo ship crashed into the bridge. The eight workers plunged off the 185-foot bridge into the frigid water.

Two of the eight workers were rescued, one who was hospitalized and one who refused treatment. "He brushed his clothes off and wanted to see his family. He was shaken up a little bit but nothing major.

I guess the good lord was on his side," a first responder said. The six other workers are presumed dead."

not sure if accurate, but a miracle if so!

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
  • Sad
Reactions: Tia

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
They will have it reopened in a couple of years.
Did you look at the bridge damage?

It is going to take six months or more to remove all the steel bridge structure; not including the bidding process and all the new government engineering planning and drawing.

Remember this a major bridge construction project over water and not not land.

This is a major bridge project. IMHO

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Did you look at the bridge damage?

It is going to take six months or more to remove all the steel bridge structure; not including the bidding process and all the new government engineering planning and drawing.

Remember this a major bridge construction project over water and not not land.

This is a major bridge project. IMHO
When the I-35 bridge in Minneapolis collapsed several years ago, all the "experts" were saying the same thing: that it would take many years before a new bridge could be constructed. In reality, the new bridge was opened in 14 months. Yes, this is a bigger bridge, but it is amazing how fast they can actually build a bridge in an emergency case like this. We will see, but I highly doubt it will be "8-10 years".

Kurt

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
When the I-35 bridge in Minneapolis collapsed several years ago, all the "experts" were saying the same thing: that it would take many years before a new bridge could be constructed. In reality, the new bridge was opened in 14 months. Yes, this is a bigger bridge, but it is amazing how fast they can actually build a bridge in an emergency case like this. We will see, but I highly doubt it will be "8-10 years".

Kurt
I'm praying and all the commuter in Maryland are praying your timetable is correct.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)

Kurt
Given the entire bridge likely has to be replaced - they may consider replacing it with a tunnel instead - it would eliminate the danger of ships impacting the bridge piles in the first place, much like the Fort McHenry and Baltimore tunnels that service I895 and I95 today.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
amazing how fast they can actually build a bridge
LOL. half-dozen yrs ago near me in CA, a tiny piece of road (viaduct technically?) that went over a tiny creek washed out when the creek became much less tiny during a few days of downpours. It was the only road from Pt A to B without very hilly almost 30 mile detour. It probably was used by more cyclists than cars, because there really wasn't much at Pt B except a way to get to Pt C. But still some people lived around Pt B and they had to go the 30 extra very hilly miles if they wanted to get to Pt A. It was a bigger deal for cyclists, cuz they go there for the hills. Many cyclists just went off-road, carrying their bike as they walked thru the creek after it receded.

The first time I saw it, on my bike, I thought "It'll probably take 6 months to replace. The Army Corps of Engineers could do it in 2 days." It took 2 years. Unbelievable the difference between "emergency" response and "not my priority" response.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given the entire bridge likely has to be replaced - they may consider replacing it with a tunnel instead - it would eliminate the danger of ships impacting the bridge piles in the first place, much like the Fort McHenry and Baltimore tunnels that service I895 and I95 today.
VDOT in the Hamptons Roads Virginia area is building a new Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel between Norfolk and Hampton, Virginia. Using this project as an exactual example It is going to take at least five years to complete.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

Kurt
How long was this bridge project?

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
VDOT in the Hamptons Roads Virginia area is building a new Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel between Norfolk and Hampton, Virginia. Using this project as an exactual example It is going to take at least five years to complete.
Yeah but new expansion vs a catastrophic failure that has shut down a major artery in the Baltimore/D.C. metro areas are two very different projects. This replacement is being federalized as a state of emergency - so any/all construction should be on the fast track, but that said, only time will tell.

DRIless

Reaction score
VDOT is keeping traffic moving (most of the time) through two present tubes at Hampton Roads. Doing this slows the work, this is not a comparison that you can make.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is a huge difference in priority / timeline between building a new road / bridge / tunnel vs. replacing something like this that unexpectedly was destroyed. Using other projects as a comparative timeline isn't really useful, IMO.

Kurt

DRIless

Reaction score
I don't pretend to be an expert on roads, bridges, and tunnels, but there is cargo that's not allowed in tunnels, thus the need for a bridge alternate?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't pretend to be an expert on roads, bridges, and tunnels, but there is cargo that's not allowed in tunnels, thus the need for a bridge alternate?
That is a good point. Earlier in this thread @simpsontruckdriver mentioned that the bridge that fell was the hazardous materials route. Replacing it w/ a tunnel would require a new route for those trucks.

Kurt

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
That is a good point. Earlier in this thread @simpsontruckdriver mentioned that the bridge that fell was the hazardous materials route. Replacing it w/ a tunnel would require a new route for those trucks.

Kurt
Good point - that may belay using a tunnel on this route. I'm no expert either to be clear. Perhaps there's a safer way to build bridges these days using more modern technologies since the original bridge was built in 1977 IIRC. Ways to somehow protect the bridge piles from collisions for example.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The I 35 Bridge span project is only 1, 907 feet long.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
In a few days/hours the federal government will give everyone a timetable how long it will take to complete this project. I'm praying for three years or less.

First they must search and find those six (6) missing highway construction workers.
Removable of all the steel beam and concrete will be one of the first tasks.
Removable of that cargo ship and the inspection of that cargo helm is another high priority.
Underwater photos of the concrete pilings by engineering.

Last edited: