• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying a vehicle

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 2020 MDX. Be aware that 2020 MDX are being recalled for issues with the engine rods. They might need to replace the entire engine or just parts of it. Neither sounds good.

Acura issued the recall, but doesn't have enough replacements yet. Waiting to see what happens. Not particularly happy with the Acura MDX. Drives horribly, technology sucks. I didn't want to buy it, but we got such a cheap price at the end of 2019 (paid $39K brand new) we couldn't pass it up. Who knew that car prices would explode in a few months.

I have bought Honda/Acura all my life, but this was the last. Now buying Lexus.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
How many cars does your family need? Have you considered doing some house cleaning and reducing the number of cars in your household to one?

Why is having more than one vehicle a problem? A person can only drive one at a time.

spirit1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
I kind of like the chase too. And I have ANOTHER story. We went to a dealership to look at a car--this time we really needed one. Looked at the car, very nice. But if we wanted to pay cash--$2500 in fees! Okay, whatever, still a good price. Arranged a trade-in on our very old car.

The night we arrived to pick up the new car, the manager took us aside and said that the dealership's own snowplow had been clearing the lot and had sideswiped the car! But that he would give us $1000 off the price for it. I hit the roof (bc they had absolutely jerked us around completely in so many ways already) and said forget it, we don't want it, we bought a car that had never been in an accident and now it's a car that has been in an accident. We drove home in our old old car. I was absolutely smoking.

And you know that car was back for sale a week later for more money. I still don't know if it really was actually damaged or if it was just some sort of trick.
That is quite the story.
If a dealer fixes a car in house...does it show up on CarFax?
Many years ago a man in my sports league ordered a brand new vehicle...the day it came, the dealership damaged the drivers door unloading the car from the delivery truck.
Boy was he mad. His brand new car was now a damaged vehicle. He did keep the car but I think the dealership made up for any loss of value his car would now have.

Yeah...so much fun finding the perfect car isn't it?.
Actually that is why I am not selling my Acura TL so quickly. 10 years ago I found it..private sale...one year old (newest car I ever had) with 23000 km. It was a beauty. He had leased it but needed a suv and his uncle was selling a luxury suv for a great price. He got a great car and I paid him just over what he would get as a lease return.
That has been one of the best cars I ever had. Not a single issue over these 10 years....and my husband has really maintained it. It does not even have 100 000 km on it and looks and drives like new.
But the lure of finding the perfect vehicle strikes me about 2 times a year and I search every possible vehicle in my province haha..looking for the perfect car at a great price.

spirit1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used car buying is quite a minefield. I wouldn't without taking someone who knows cars a bit with you, or figuring out reasonably independent mechanics near the dealership or private party and insisting on a pre sale inspection by the shop. We've seen some doozies, especially back when we kind of needed a used half ton pick up in 2022. Trucks with codes reset, trucks with codes, bad running engines, rust issues, people arguing about codes etc. It was crazy. And used prices are still sky high today. I was looking for a road trip minivan potentially and 11 year old 100k ones were going for $15,000ish. With the 11 percent used car loan rates, that's just insane. I guess some people are paying, but not me.

I was already on the fence about trading in my old car for a new bigger SUV or keeping it and adding a cheap minivan for the road trips. Well, when there were no acceptable to me $7,000 ones out there, and I ran the numbers, my payments with trade and money down worked out to be the same on a new SUV vs an 11 year old minivan, so there we go.

I prefer buying new anyway in that the warranty means I don't need to worry about getting surprised. Then again, you can't really get exactly what you want new and get a great price either lol.
Where I live, used vehicles are going higher privately than from the dealer.
I think people paid top dollar 2-4 years ago and today there are more vehicles so prices at dealers are a bit more market sensitive.
I got sticker shock this year too!!!
Sounds you got the best vehicle for the price in today's market.

spirit1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why is having more than one vehicle a problem? A person can only drive one at a time.
Where I live in Canada...some people have a really nice car they NEVER drive in the winter. We had two of them.

My husband and I both had cars for work and we had a truck and trailer for our holidays.

My husband had a 1962 Mercedes he had restored many years previously. It was standard so I could not drive it. It sat under our patio for years....he just did not have the heart to sell it. He was keeping it for our son. He also had a 1972 Mercedes sedan that was his darling baby. It was a beautiful sedan and we drove it on Sundays and it was our going out car. He was keeping it for our other son. Both Mercedes were our wedding cars and gave us a lot of pleasure to drive when we could. Summer only drivers. He parked outside winter and summer so the silver car could be garaged.
Some men love love love their cars. He owned them before we met...and they had a special place in his heart.
So...with two little kids...we had 5 vehicles. Two were our work cars and the other 3 were for pleasure.

We skimped on other things to afford our luxuries. :hug

Truck and trailer are gone since we timeshare now. The two Mercedes were flooded out when Edmonton had a 1 in a 100 year storm. So now we are back to 2 cars for 2 people. We can both park in the garage now...but...I sure miss those beautiful cars.

spirit1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have a 2020 MDX. Be aware that 2020 MDX are being recalled for issues with the engine rods. They might need to replace the entire engine or just parts of it. Neither sounds good.

Acura issued the recall, but doesn't have enough replacements yet. Waiting to see what happens. Not particularly happy with the Acura MDX. Drives horribly, technology sucks. I didn't want to buy it, but we got such a cheap price at the end of 2019 (paid $39K brand new) we couldn't pass it up. Who knew that car prices would explode in a few months.

I have bought Honda/Acura all my life, but this was the last. Now buying Lexus.
Thanks for the update on the 2020 MDX. Son #1 has a 2011 MDX. Loves it..no issues. Son #2 has a 2010 MDX...same thing. My 2013 TL has been a dream to own.
My husband is driving his 3rd LS. All three were RWD...the last one is 2007 Lexus Long. It is the big 460 engine....he loves it but it will be expensive to fix when things start going wrong. Hopefully that will be never.
Do you watch The Car Nut on YouTube? He loves the LS 350 engine and the 430 engine. I think the 350 is a bit underpowered for the LS but well..it is what it is.
I hear what you are saying about the newer Acuras. I joke that the next car for us will be Ubers....
Let me know which Lexus you buy. A friend has a newer Lexus NX self charging hybrid. Loves it...he had the plug in NX and did not like it. We live in a cold climate and he has had no issues with the new suv....just saying.
Maybe we will buy his when he decides to sell this one...he has more money than us haha. We won't buy new...can't afford it.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update on the 2020 MDX. Son #1 has a 2011 MDX. Loves it..no issues. Son #2 has a 2010 MDX...same thing. My 2013 TL has been a dream to own.
My husband is driving his 3rd LS. All three were RWD...the last one is 2007 Lexus Long. It is the big 460 engine....he loves it but it will be expensive to fix when things start going wrong. Hopefully that will be never.
Do you watch The Car Nut on YouTube? He loves the LS 350 engine and the 430 engine. I think the 350 is a bit underpowered for the LS but well..it is what it is.
I hear what you are saying about the newer Acuras. I joke that the next car for us will be Ubers....
Let me know which Lexus you buy. A friend has a newer Lexus NX self charging hybrid. Loves it...he had the plug in NX and did not like it. We live in a cold climate and he has had no issues with the new suv....just saying.
Maybe we will buy his when he decides to sell this one...he has more money than us haha. We won't buy new...can't afford it.

Our previous SUV was also a 2011 MDX. Drove great. Power like a jet engine. Gets 15 MPG on premium gas, but power for days on end. Handles great. Technology also sucks. The GPS can't even pronounce street names. Only says numbers and things like next or east. I had a $100 Tom Tom previously that could fully speak. Plus... it featured cutting edge super audio CD - which died out in 2006.

They hobbled the engine between 2011 and 2020. Poor power - went from Jet Engine to 'I think I can.... I think I can... I think I can...". But at least I get 19 MPG on regular gas. Technology still sucks - same bad GPS. At least it has android auto.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
I never buy luxury brands, as far as I can tell, you end up paying more for the same core components in the mass market brand, plus you get less refined versions of new tech that just ends up causing problems and costing $$$ to fix. Luxury brands are actually the beta testers for the mass market IMO. I don't know about you, but my cousin "can't afford" new cars because he spends a mass market new car price on a late model Luxury version. He tried to convince me to look at Lexus when I was getting my new SUV, I think a gx460 or something. It was ~ $45,000 for a reasonable used one. A brand New Honda Pilot was around that price, and a bigger SUV (which as you saw above was my main reason for going away from my existing Outback). I just never saw the appeal in practical terms. Yes, the Luxury ones are a bit faster or / fun to drive - but so would a wrx be, it's just sufficiently less practical as to be more useful as a secondary vehicle. And so far that would make it my third vehicle which I can't afford either lol.

spirit1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our previous SUV was also a 2011 MDX. Drove great. Power like a jet engine. Gets 15 MPG on premium gas, but power for days on end. Handles great. Technology also sucks. The GPS can't even pronounce street names. Only says numbers and things like next or east. I had a $100 Tom Tom previously that could fully speak. Plus... it featured cutting edge super audio CD - which died out in 2006.

They hobbled the engine between 2011 and 2020. Poor power - went from Jet Engine to 'I think I can.... I think I can... I think I can...". But at least I get 19 MPG on regular gas. Technology still sucks - same bad GPS. At least it has android auto.
Yeah...in Canada prices for gas per liter....20 cents more per liter for premium vs regular...and that is at Costco!!! Well...both are retired now....we have money for coffee dates and premium gas!!!
Thanks for the owner update on the MDX. Now I don't feel so bad about that 2020 MDX getting away from us. :rolleyes: How in heck did Acura hobble the engine? I know the RDX comes in a 6 or a turbo charged 4 these days. We want to stay away from turbo.
I was talking to a salesman..yes I know....but he told me that Acura was the most traded vehicle (implying poor quality these days). He was glad that he was able to afford a Lexus and suggested I go to any Lexus rather than Acura. (I was inquiring about an Acura TLX they had...this was at a Lexus dealership)

And another side note....when my son was at our Acura dealership (my nephew was car shopping) the sales manager wanted his 2010 MDX for a trade in....the manager said the later Acura tech packages were not reliable)

Now I am getting into the weeds here...relaying gossip from the salesfloor....but honestly, over the years, I have found that a lot of salespeople....if you are treating them with respect for their knowledge....often give you good advice.

Anyway, good luck if you are still searching!!!

I have my eye on a real beauty...a 2020 TLX with 20 000 km. Private sale. He is a respectful owner...we have been communicating through Facebook Marketplace....he lives in Calgary about a 3 hour drive from Edmonton. He wanted too much money at first...but now...6 weeks later he has dropped his price to something my husband and I would consider. Husband does NOT WANT TO BUY ANOTHER CAR.....the ones we have are still reliable...but this is a lovely well maintained private sale.

Finally, my last thought. If I unretired and went back to work...all the time I have spent looking for cars the last 3 years...if I put that time into my job....I could go into a Lexus dealership and buy anything brand new...for cash. And that is a sobering thought!!!!

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never buy luxury brands, as far as I can tell, you end up paying more for the same core components in the mass market brand, plus you get less refined versions of new tech that just ends up causing problems and costing $$$ to fix. Luxury brands are actually the beta testers for the mass market IMO. I don't know about you, but my cousin "can't afford" new cars because he spends a mass market new car price on a late model Luxury version. He tried to convince me to look at Lexus when I was getting my new SUV, I think a gx460 or something. It was ~ $45,000 for a reasonable used one. A brand New Honda Pilot was around that price, and a bigger SUV (which as you saw above was my main reason for going away from my existing Outback). I just never saw the appeal in practical terms. Yes, the Luxury ones are a bit faster or / fun to drive - but so would a wrx be, it's just sufficiently less practical as to be more useful as a secondary vehicle. And so far that would make it my third vehicle which I can't afford either lol.

Well, in some cases, the entry level luxury car is better equiped than the higher level non-luxury brand and can be cheaper. Especially if there are specific items you need - like seat memory.

Luxury brands have nicer quality components and better warranties. You really have to look at each specific car non-luxury/luxury version.

In the case of my last 2 purchases - I got a better deal on the MDX than I would have on a pilot. In the case of my 2020 Lexus ES350 - which I bought used with 2,500 miles - they no longer offered the Avalon - the toyota version.

spirit1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, in some cases, the entry level luxury car is better equiped than the higher level non-luxury brand and can be cheaper. Especially if there are specific items you need - like seat memory.

Luxury brands have nicer quality components and better warranties. You really have to look at each specific car non-luxury/luxury version.

In the case of my last 2 purchases - I got a better deal on the MDX than I would have on a pilot. In the case of my 2020 Lexus ES350 - which I bought used with 2,500 miles - they no longer offered the Avalon - the toyota version.
So interesting you bought the ES 350. I was going to look at one and realized they are all front wheel. My latest TL is an AWD and now that I have driven that...here in our Canadian winters....that is a feature we love. Not so great on mileage...not so great in a smooth ride....but...boy...sure nice to have on snowy (not icy...you need to drive to conditions) roads.
Also, we like the sedans rather than suv. And sedan prices tend to be less.
So for my vehicle, I want a 6 cylinder....AWD.

PS. My TL and son's MDX both have the 3.7 engine. What a beast. I think the later MDX have the 3.5...which might be a bit underpowering for a large suv.

PPS. The Car Nut on You Tube did an episode on Lexus vs Toyota....and in his opinion....Lexus refinements are worth it, if you appreciate upgraded quality....eg. paint, seating, plastic....all the little upgrades in materials does have a cost. For him....it was worth the price. Mileage may vary.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
So interesting you bought the ES 350. I was going to look at one and realized they are all front wheel. My latest TL is an AWD and now that I have driven that...here in our Canadian winters....that is a feature we love. Not so great on mileage...not so great in a smooth ride....but...boy...sure nice to have on snowy (not icy...you need to drive to conditions) roads.
Also, we like the sedans rather than suv. And sedan prices tend to be less.
So for my vehicle, I want a 6 cylinder....AWD.

PS. My TL and son's MDX both have the 3.7 engine. What a beast. I think the later MDX have the 3.5...which might be a bit underpowering for a large suv.

PPS. The Car Nut on You Tube did an episode on Lexus vs Toyota....and in his opinion....Lexus refinements are worth it, if you appreciate upgraded quality....eg. paint, seating, plastic....all the little upgrades in materials does have a cost. For him....it was worth the price. Mileage may vary.
It is probably SH-AWD. Which is great. The ES 350 is a large sedan - equal to the Avalon. TL is more like the accord. Considerably smaller than ES 350. Backseat leg room on ES 350 is huge.

However, I have 2 MDXs (2011 and 2020) for snow/ice days. There really aren't alot of them here in NJ. Even if we have a massive snow storm, the roads are completely clear within a day after it ends.

The ES 350 has a monster V6 with a ton of power. The used model I bought was top of the line with all the bells and whistles. Personally, I love it. I will never buy an Accura/Honda again. Especially with this recall.

spirit1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is probably SH-AWD. Which is great. The ES 350 is a large sedan - equal to the Avalon. TL is more like the accord. Considerably smaller than ES 350. Backseat leg room on ES 350 is huge.

However, I have 2 MDXs (2011 and 2020) for snow/ice days. There really aren't alot of them here in NJ. Even if we have a massive snow storm, the roads are completely clear within a day after it ends.

The ES 350 has a monster V6 with a ton of power. The used model I bought was top of the line with all the bells and whistles. Personally, I love it. I will never buy an Accura/Honda again. Especially with this recall.
Well...I just might split the difference and look for a nice RX. My husband has a rear wheel...and so...we want our second vehicle to be an AWD. Edmonton is so much more north than you and we get pretty severe winter weather.

Now, being retired....there is not a problem staying at home during a blizzard....he can cancel his coffee club meetings...but I have some volunteer commitments that get me out and about. That AWD is like having snow tires vs all seasons.
Nice to chat with you about cars.
Timeshare people tend to know their products and are generous in sharing their knowledge. Cheers.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Almost never in any case I've looked into that I would possibly buy. It could well be that I'm just looking at a significantly different sort of car, IDK. In the past I wasn't looking at Lexus specifically though.
Better components in terms of leather sure. Better components in terms of mechanicals? I rarely see that, I more often see money pits waiting to happen like adjustable suspensions. And better warranties? Every one I've looked at is the standard 3/36,000 but maybe Lexus is different in NJ IDK. However, the warranty is usually irrelevant in the Lexus because I don't have an additional $20,000+ to get that version vs the Honda equivalent say, and I can easily add for less than that $20k a Honda 75,000/7 year warranty if I really want to, though I find the Geico 7/100,000 mechanical breakdown coverage with the $250 deductible way more affordable.
I've moved on from sedans so wouldn't be something I'm looking at. Looking at the MDX they don't have a Trailsport edition, which is already a step down in ground clearance from my Outback, but the default Pilot is like 2 inches lower. Many other things like no full size spare tire, heated steering wheel is like 2 options up, etc. I guess vs the Black edition Pilot it might beat it, but otherwise it's not much IMHO, and in some cases less for the same or more money - again the Trailsport is AWD too, which is an option up on the MDX.

spirit1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Almost never in any case I've looked into that I would possibly buy. It could well be that I'm just looking at a significantly different sort of car, IDK. In the past I wasn't looking at Lexus specifically though.

Better components in terms of leather sure. Better components in terms of mechanicals? I rarely see that, I more often see money pits waiting to happen like adjustable suspensions. And better warranties? Every one I've looked at is the standard 3/36,000 but maybe Lexus is different in NJ IDK. However, the warranty is usually irrelevant in the Lexus because I don't have an additional $20,000+ to get that version vs the Honda equivalent say, and I can easily add for less than that $20k a Honda 75,000/7 year warranty if I really want to, though I find the Geico 7/100,000 mechanical breakdown coverage with the $250 deductible way more affordable.

I've moved on from sedans so wouldn't be something I'm looking at. Looking at the MDX they don't have a Trailsport edition, which is already a step down in ground clearance from my Outback, but the default Pilot is like 2 inches lower. Many other things like no full size spare tire, heated steering wheel is like 2 options up, etc. I guess vs the Black edition Pilot it might beat it, but otherwise it's not much IMHO, and in some cases less for the same or more money - again the Trailsport is AWD too, which is an option up on the MDX.
It is always a treat to read about what features in a vehicle draw certain people. In my case, AWD is something I do not want to be without...and I have driven rear wheel vehicles and front wheel ones. All had their positives..nothing like the smooth ride of a rear wheel....and before AWD...the front wheel was great on winter roads.
My husband always said his best all round vehicle was a 350 Caprice stationwagon...so pracitcal when we had a tent trailer and two small boys.
But now...we have no children or dogs...we don't camp and he loves his rear wheel Lexus...bought second hand of course. I don't have kids anymore so like the sedan. And he has a hard time getting into high suvs so those are out.
All in all...we love a good reliable car...and having driven so many of them.....we appreciate quality and now...at our age...a bit of luxury!!! Take care and happy driving.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
It is always a treat to read about what features in a vehicle draw certain people.
Yea, I suppose vehicles are like the timeshares - what you're looking to do is going to massively affect what you're interested in. I can't see being without AWD in my primary vehicle. I've had that since my Impreza in 07, and I'm not about to give that up. The ability to go on rough roads / off road with the higher ground clearance vehicles or to take potholes better etc are a big deal where I live and drive regularly - the roads just aren't that great here. I stopped doing sedans when I was scraping something monthly on curbs, angled road meetings etc. Now I want smooth rides on long road trips with 3 or more adults and all their packing and hobby gear. We were overpacked in the Outback last time, so more space was needed.

If you don't like driving in the field or up into the woods or the like, or deal with snow at all, then I can see going FWD MDX for a more premium feel if that's what floats your boat. I've been in some of my cousins used Acura and mmm maybe Audi? Not that impressive to me with a lot more maintenance costs - premium gas, more expensive parts,etc. I recall one time he had a brake job that was $2,000 when my Subie jobs were $800. I was like - nope, no way in hell.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting conversations to read.

No one seems to be talking about or comparing American cars, and I don't blame them. Myself I haven't owned an American car for over 40 years. It's very sad that the USA has lost the status they once held in vehicle quality back in the 1960's.

I would only ever consider a Japanese or Korean vehicle in today's world. I believe most of them to be of far higher quality and longevity.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would buy an American car, a Lincoln or a Cadillac. I would not buy a Korean car. The Lincoln Nautilus is looking pretty good.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I would buy an American car, a Lincoln or a Cadillac. I would not buy a Korean car. The Lincoln Nautilus is looking pretty good.

Cadillac is still in business? If so, they don’t seem to be very popular.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Interesting conversations to read.

No one seems to be talking about or comparing American cars, and I don't blame them. Myself I haven't owned an American car for over 40 years. It's very sad that the USA has lost the status they once held in vehicle quality back in the 1960's.

I would only ever consider a Japanese or Korean vehicle in today's world. I believe most of them to be of far higher quality and longevity.
I don't think I'd go Korean, they still have kind of a reputation of really needing that 5yr/10yr warranty. Pretty much the only thing I'd get that's American is Pick Up trucks cause there are old ones used for somewhat cheap that's pretty easy to get fixed when something goes wrong on them. Very very few Japanese pick-ups to start with, and none that I know of that are 3/4 or 1 ton. Even their 1/2 ton ones are rare to see used in my area and go for a lot more than the American ones.

The reason I think old used for Trucks is because one of my uncles wasted a lot of money on new GMCs over the years, and they had issues right from the start. If you're going to be in the shop, might as well have little in it up front right?

My family was all GM growing up, we had chevy's and buicks and pontiacs and oldsmobiles - some new, many used. They all were hunks of junk. Constantly in and out of the shop, and I got stranded too many times to recount. I'd say this is somewhat because of my father not being great at keeping up on maintenance and waiting till things flat out broke before fixing them, but then my mom got a 93 Subaru Impreza and ... it just didn't have these problems. All I can say is I've never been stranded in a Subaru, nor has my family - whatever issues I have had. And this is across decades and likely a dozen or more different ones. Not saying they're perfect - just that they've been more reliable than any GM product. And on ones we've bought new, Subaru also has taken care of us - my Outback had a lot of issues, but at least most of the major ones were covered under Subaru's dime, one well after the warranty period. The AWD was also very very good across all the models.

Anyway, I'm trying Honda now for reasons I've gone over in other threads, but I also think we're having such a sea change to turbos and different transmissions for efficiency etc that I don't know if you can really expect the new models to be as refined or as reliable as the well perfected naturally aspirated engines and 5 speed traditional autos.

spirit1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yea, I suppose vehicles are like the timeshares - what you're looking to do is going to massively affect what you're interested in. I can't see being without AWD in my primary vehicle. I've had that since my Impreza in 07, and I'm not about to give that up. The ability to go on rough roads / off road with the higher ground clearance vehicles or to take potholes better etc are a big deal where I live and drive regularly - the roads just aren't that great here. I stopped doing sedans when I was scraping something monthly on curbs, angled road meetings etc. Now I want smooth rides on long road trips with 3 or more adults and all their packing and hobby gear. We were overpacked in the Outback last time, so more space was needed.

If you don't like driving in the field or up into the woods or the like, or deal with snow at all, then I can see going FWD MDX for a more premium feel if that's what floats your boat. I've been in some of my cousins used Acura and mmm maybe Audi? Not that impressive to me with a lot more maintenance costs - premium gas, more expensive parts,etc. I recall one time he had a brake job that was $2,000 when my Subie jobs were $800. I was like - nope, no way in hell.
I think the MDX are all AWD. My husband has replaced the brakes in our vehicles in the past....but now he is aged out!!! Premium gas costs...ouch those are hurting...but we are retired now so don't care anymore :rolleyes: .

I guess what I have always appreciated about the Acura's and Lexus's we've owned...except for oil changes, and the occasional timing belt....all we have done is put on new tires and pay for car washes. Honestly, we have never had to take any of our cars in for any mechanical issues. It has been about 20 years since we started driving Japanese vehicles and...we love their reliability. If that ever changes....and I am hearing that Acura's are starting to have issues.....we will find another brand that builds solid, reliable vehicles.
Thanks for your comment.

spirit1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think I'd go Korean, they still have kind of a reputation of really needing that 5yr/10yr warranty. Pretty much the only thing I'd get that's American is Pick Up trucks cause there are old ones used for somewhat cheap that's pretty easy to get fixed when something goes wrong on them. Very very few Japanese pick-ups to start with, and none that I know of that are 3/4 or 1 ton. Even their 1/2 ton ones are rare to see used in my area and go for a lot more than the American ones.

The reason I think old used for Trucks is because one of my uncles wasted a lot of money on new GMCs over the years, and they had issues right from the start. If you're going to be in the shop, might as well have little in it up front right?

My family was all GM growing up, we had chevy's and buicks and pontiacs and oldsmobiles - some new, many used. They all were hunks of junk. Constantly in and out of the shop, and I got stranded too many times to recount. I'd say this is somewhat because of my father not being great at keeping up on maintenance and waiting till things flat out broke before fixing them, but then my mom got a 93 Subaru Impreza and ... it just didn't have these problems. All I can say is I've never been stranded in a Subaru, nor has my family - whatever issues I have had. And this is across decades and likely a dozen or more different ones. Not saying they're perfect - just that they've been more reliable than any GM product. And on ones we've bought new, Subaru also has taken care of us - my Outback had a lot of issues, but at least most of the major ones were covered under Subaru's dime, one well after the warranty period. The AWD was also very very good across all the models.

Anyway, I'm trying Honda now for reasons I've gone over in other threads, but I also think we're having such a sea change to turbos and different transmissions for efficiency etc that I don't know if you can really expect the new models to be as refined or as reliable as the well perfected naturally aspirated engines and 5 speed traditional autos.
I just read your post to my husband. He too was a GM man...and we went through all the different brands.
But 20 years ago I bought an Acura and then a few years later he bought a Lexus and we just stayed with those two brands. Very happy with them....but....they sure cost a lot more upfront.
I have to say, that the GM vehicles we had were pretty good. He always maintained them well so that helped with any issues. Brakes replaces before they went bad etc. GM seemed to have some issues with their starters....our friends who had Fords complained about transmissions.....but...they were usually 10-20 thousand cheaper to start off with...that buys a lot of starters and transmissions!!!

I do agree with you about the turbo charged engines. So many of the newer vehicles I am interested in...they are offering 4 or 6 cylinder engines and I won't buy the 4 cylinder although they are more and more popular due to their better gas mileage.
I joke that our next car will be an Uber....we are aging out and hopefully keep our licenses for a few more years!!!
Take care. Happy driving.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
The real reason we have bought so many Lexus models is because mechanically they are pretty much bullet proof. We have had two ES350 Ultra Luxury models and two of the RX’s. One being an RX350 and the other an RX450h. None of them ever saw the dealers service depart again. All of them are/were fully loaded. Why? Because we can. We’ve worked hard all of our life so we can enjoy the finer things in retirement. I want the license plate bracket that says “Spending my Child’s Inheritance”. Besides, if I’m stupid enough to throw money away on a timeshare I have a far better chance of getting something back on an auto when ready to move on! But, I have no rationale for my recent purchase of a new Mustang GT except that it sounds so good and it brings back fond memories of when I was younger! Now if I could just figure out how to get out of it without hurting myself!

spirit1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The real reason we have bought so many Lexus models is because mechanically they are pretty much bullet proof. We have had two ES350 Ultra Luxury models and two of the RX’s. One being an RX350 and the other an RX450h. None of them ever saw the dealers service depart again. All of them are/were fully loaded. Why? Because we can. We’ve worked hard all of our life so we can enjoy the finer things in retirement. I want the license plate bracket that says “Spending my Child’s Inheritance”. Besides, if I’m stupid enough to throw money away on a timeshare I have a far better chance of getting something back on an auto when ready to move on! But, I have no rationale for my recent purchase of a new Mustang GT except that it sounds so good and it brings back fond memories of when I was younger! Now if I could just figure out how to get out of it without hurting myself!
Bucky...I sure hear you!!!
I guess that as you age you have more experiences to help with your decision making.
All those GM vehicles we owned sure did the job. They were pretty basic and so maintaining them was pretty easy. The few things that went wrong were mechanical.....easy to fix....although an inconvenience.
Now, the cars are so complex...computer this...turbocharged that....and the time of the backyard mechanic is pretty well over.
And so...our choices are pretty varied. My husband is a car buff and appreciates well made cars. And when luxury cars go on sale second hand...they tend to be well looked after. We do not buy new....so the depreciated Acura or Lexus is usually a good financial decision.
And they...all our hard earned knowledge is thrown out the window when a pretty little Mustang GT catches our eye.
And there you go.....put a smile on your face...you have worked hard...enjoy life the best you can.
I keep on saying I want a lovely little Lexus SC....a sporty cute convertible....but I look at the back seat and figure nope...don't need it that badly.

This is what my son wants me to buy...a 2014 Highlander with 41 thousand Km. What a practical purchase eh? But...I still love my TL.
1714840599840.jpeg

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
You know, when my Outback got to 6.5 years old and started having an oil leak, I was like, ehh, I don't go in to the office daily anymore so I don't need the "always ready to go" that used to keep me trading cars relatively frequently. Then it started just not being ready to go for trips and I realized that while I don't need a car ready to go every day of the week, or even every month necessarily, I do want to be pretty sure I can get in and go *sometimes*. I still think there's a 50/50 chance the shop I went to for the oil leak massively screwed up the car in a subtle way, or else I ended up with a lemon that showed it's spots nearing 7 years old. Either way, after ~6 times basically in a row not being able to use it, for various levels of issues, I lost confidence in the car, or well, the shops ability to fix the car anyway. After 4 stints at the local shop and 2 at the dealer, one for 1.5 months, it might have been fixed. I was able to successfully go to Myrtle Beach and back without it having a drive stoppage issue. It just didn't feel right though, and it did that before the first dealer trip that started various big replacements. So I thought, better trade it while I can get something out of it.

IDK if I have a point here exactly, this was the first Subaru in the family to scare us off before 10 years old. I know people talk up Toyota / Lexus, but the up front cost is way too much more IMHO. I looked at a Highlander but it quickly fell out of the running because of a few things.
  1. no off road model like Honda or Subaru offer.
  2. I'm not sure they even had a spare donught tire.
  3. only offered in 4cyl turbo - I really didn't like the turbos in the Outback 23 I had as a loaner, it didn't get better gas mileage and was a lot more to go wrong IMHO.
I asked the Toyota salesman if they had anything comparable to the Pilot Trailsport and the Grand Highlander was what he showed me. I'm kind of thinking he should have showed me a 4Runner or Sequoia IDK, but I didn't feel the Grand Highlander really was at all comparable. It felt more like a competitor to like the Telluride or standard Pilot.

Anyway, I still miss the bang for buck up front for Subaru, the top of the line Ascent with every add on package was around the price of the Trailsport which doesn't have a bunch of the Black edition features. Just the Ascent was really uncomfortable to sit in. I might have gritted my teeth on the turbo 4 and annoying driver aid and infotainment system and small concern now about the CVT transmission, but it just wasn't comfortable so I wasn't going to go to a less comfortable vehicle than my Outback.

And like someone else said, for $20,000 for an Acura or more for a Lexus, I can live with less fancy leather and maybe needing one extra repair.