• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cypress Harbour Platinum vs Grande Vista Gold

Matthew_D

Reaction score
I'm currently looking at the purchase of a 2bdrm at the Cypress Harbour during Platinum season or a 2bdrm (with lockoff) at Grande Vista during Gold Season - any feedback to which has the better trading value would be appreciated (2 Bdrm Platinum vs. 2 Bdrm lockoff in lower season).

Many thanks
Matthew

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Specific weeks will trade better than others. From what I understand, II rates GV slightly higher in quality. I haven't compared the calendars at both resorts, but I'm pretty sure GV gold only has a few good trading weeks.

Cindala

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for Cypress Harbour Platinum, but we own a 2bdrm Gold lockoff at Grande Vista. We've always reserved the best demand week we can which in our case is Memorial Day week although there are some higher demand weeks later in the year too.

With Platinum season at Cypress Harbour, you will have more high demand weeks to choose from for making your reservation than you will with Grande Vista.

That being said, MGV is rated slightly higher than Cypress Harbour by II, plus you have the lockoff feature.
We have traded our 2bdrm Gold for Platinum the past 4 years; once back into MGV, twice into Hilton Head and once into Las Vegas. We did not use the lockoff feature on these trades as we felt we needed the 2bdrm strength to get the trades we wanted...and we did.
The trading power between the two is probably similar. If you feel you will use the lockoff feature go with MGV, if you are not sure then Cypress may be more for you.:)

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Matthew- forget about trading value for a moment. Which resort do YOU prefer to visit? When do you prefer to go? Those are important deciding considerations. Sometimes we get so involved in thinking about trading that we forget about usage.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you have flexibility and are able to stay in 1BR or smaller units more times than not, I would go for the lock off at MGV. The gold season trades fairly well and the ability to get two weeks for one MF is great.

Eric

Reaction score
Is anyone going to point out that Cypress doesn't have Platinum season ?
Special, Summer and Sport

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Is anyone going to point out that Cypress doesn't have Platinum season ?
Special, Summer and Sport

This is true. With CH being an older resort Marriott was actually making the seasons more reasonable then. I think most were assuming platinum to be equal to special. Special season at CH consists of those prime spring break weeks including Easter and New Years. Those will be the top traders. Summer season has the other high demand prime summer weeks.

You really can't compare CH Special or Summer to MGV gold for trade value. The best weeks in those seasons at CH will out trade even the best trading weeks in MGV gold. However depending on how the OP wants to use the weeks and their travel pattern the MGV may be a better option.

Questions to the OP.
Do you need to travel based on child school schedules?
How large of a party will you usually travel with?

The answers to these questions may greatly change the advice provided by others.

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
lock off - personal preference

I just picked up a second CH special week for the 13 month window and trade value. I like lock off units, but I always want 2 bedrooms or more. We are so spoiled by the 2 bedrooms.

Matthew_D

Reaction score
Thank you!

Thank you to everyone for their response. I apologize for saying 'platinum' for the Cypress Harbour - I really meant 'special'. I realize that the comparison is different from CH to MGV from a season point of view, but price wise, they seem to be around the same price point. In terms of travel, we are soon to be new parents so we have some flexibility to travel off-season for the next 5 years (currently we normally go away in the late fall), but will eventually have less flexibility once the kid(s) start school. I've stayed at CH, while the inlaws have stayed at both and preferred the MGV. Again thanks for all the comments.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given your flexible schedule, I'd be looking to use the II getaways more and trading less if you want multiple weeks per year. You can usually get 2BR GV or CH in the fall for about $400. Just remember that it costs $75 to lock off and $99 to trade each part.

Thank you to everyone for their response. I apologize for saying 'platinum' for the Cypress Harbour - I really meant 'special'. I realize that the comparison is different from CH to MGV from a season point of view, but price wise, they seem to be around the same price point. In terms of travel, we are soon to be new parents so we have some flexibility to travel off-season for the next 5 years (currently we normally go away in the late fall), but will eventually have less flexibility once the kid(s) start school. I've stayed at CH, while the inlaws have stayed at both and preferred the MGV. Again thanks for all the comments.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
I like the flexibility of the 3 bedroom Grande Vista Every other Year. You can get one for 5000. This allows you to lock off into a 2 bedroom and studio and trade the studio for a 2 bedroom for use 1 year and make reservation with the 2 bedroom the next.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Given your flexible schedule, I'd be looking to use the II getaways more and trading less if you want multiple weeks per year. You can usually get 2BR GV or CH in the fall for about $400. Just remember that it costs $75 to lock off and $99 to trade each part.

This is true if you are looking to go to Orlando. Though for trading, Orlando Marriotts tend to have the lowest up front cost and MF. They trade rather well also. Getaways are not as plentiful or cheap in places other than Orlando.

Beverley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would consider looking longer for a good price on a platinum MGV. You would then have the lockoff feature and better trade power. :cool:

Both are good resorts and my guess would be that you could trade into the CH with a one bedroom MGV if you wanted to go to CH some time. Since CH is all 2 bedrooms you stand a better than average chance for that trade with only the 1 bedroom. The purchase would then give you 2 weeks each year for the price of one. :clap:

Happy hunting.

Beverley :hi:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I would consider looking longer for a good price on a platinum MGV. You would then have the lockoff feature and better trade power. :cool:

Both are good resorts and my guess would be that you could trade into the CH with a one bedroom MGV if you wanted to go to CH some time. Since CH is all 2 bedrooms you stand a better than average chance for that trade with only the 1 bedroom. The purchase would then give you 2 weeks each year for the price of one. :clap:

Happy hunting.

This is a good point. Depending on the time of year, I can see CH 2BR units using our MGV gold studio.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Happy hunting.

I'd say you could get CH most of the year with the studio. Same for GV and Harbour Lake but you'd have to do it as an instand match and look frequently online.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I like the flexibility of the 3 bedroom Grande Vista Every other Year. You can get one for 5000. This allows you to lock off into a 2 bedroom and studio and trade the studio for a 2 bedroom for use 1 year and make reservation with the 2 bedroom the next.

Not only that, but you have the added potential flexibility of size as your family grows, esp. if Grandma and Grandpa come along or perhaps another family joins you.

There have been some tremendous steals on even every year units over the last several months on Ebay and I'd guess elsewhere as well. For a little more up front and a little higher MF's I think you get a lot more for your money. It may be more than you want to spend, but it is worth considering.

Personally, we just bought a 3BR in Aruba and I was surprised at how much we enjoyed having the extra bedroom last trip. We were able to invite friends down for a long weekend on one end, and then had the room on the other end for our daughter's boyfriend when they came down mid-week. While we could have utilized the sofabed at the end of the week, I know our friends wouldn't have come. Don't get me wrong, the 2BR's are fantastic, but the 3BR's are just amazing and I think add a new dimension to ownership and travel possibilities.

Beverley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd say you could get CH most of the year with the studio. Same for GV and Harbour Lake but you'd have to do it as an instand match and look frequently online.

If you used the one bedroom, you could place a pending request for the 2 bedroom at CH since the resort only has 2 bedrooms. This way you could request well ahead of the flex trade time. :D You could not use a 1 bedroom to request a 2 bedroom at MGV since there are 1 bedrooms at MGV.

Beverley :cheer:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you used the one bedroom, you could place a pending request for the 2 bedroom at CH since the resort only has 2 bedrooms. This way you could request well ahead of the flex trade time. :D You could not use a 1 bedroom to request a 2 bedroom at MGV since there are 1 bedrooms at MGV.

Beverley :cheer:
You could use the studio to do the same request for CH. You can't do an ongoing search for GV for a larger unit but you can do an instant exchange. Did it last year for a 2 BR and this year for a 3 BR at GV using a Branson studio. Given the over abundance of inventory, it will work for much of the time but there is a certain amount of gamble involved.

Beverley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is true. However, I was originally suggesting getting the GV instead of a CH so my thoughts were directed at getting CH 2 bedroom if that is what was desired. You are correct that at a resort that has studios and 1 bedrooms you can only get the size that you are trading unless within flex time. It seems that GV has availability all the time from what you are suggesting.

Beverley

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems that GV has availability all the time from what you are suggesting.

Beverley
Much of the time, not necessarily all of the time.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
You are correct that at a resort that has studios and 1 bedrooms you can only get the size that you are trading unless within flex time. It seems that GV has availability all the time from what you are suggesting.

Beverley

This is not true. You can only request the size of unit that you are willing to give up for trade. Though if an instant exchange is available for a larger unit, you can exchange for it. So going from a studio to a 2BR is very possible outside of flexchange.