• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC Survey from Disney Destinations Research

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received (and answered) a survey from Disney Destinations Research. While most of the questions were similar to ones I've received in the past (e.g. how happy are you and how much to you use your points for things other than staying at the resorts), there were a bunch of questions that focused on two new things.

First, there were a bunch of questions about my interest in Club level rooms at a DVC resort. Interestingly enough, while they described and asked about a bunch of potential benefits - a lounge with food and drink, better rooms, 'special' views from lounge and rooms, a concierge - they didn't mention the one thing that would make me pull the trigger - better access to the parks. (They did give a list of potential concierge services and park access wasn't one of them). To me, 90 Day Fastpasses were the big draw before - giving better access to ILLs, Virtual Queues, and Genie+ would be the big draw now.

Second, they asked a lot of questions about my experiences with my Home Resort and other resorts. This culminated in asking if I would be interested in buying DVC points at a resort that didn't have Home Resort priority (or to look at it another way, buying DVC points that allowed me to book at any resort at 11 months). I answered that I "strongly disagreed" and when they asked why I responded that I *like* having Home Resort priority. It's what makes DVC (and HGVC) a pleasure to own compared to MVC/Abound.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Fastpass was our favorite perk of being on property. I liked FP because it was free. One hour early to the parks would be great to get back again as well. 30 minutes isn't much.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
DVC points at a resort that didn't have Home Resort priority (or to look at it another way, buying DVC points that allowed me to book at any resort at 11 months).
hmm...wouldn't this have to be at a new resort that could not book at any other prior resorts at the home resort priority booking window? Don't the various owners' documents provide for home resort priority? I don't think DVC could unilaterally alter that.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Fastpass was our favorite perk of being on property. I liked FP because it was free. One hour early to the parks would be great to get back again as well. 30 minutes isn't much.

I like 30 minutes at any park better than 1 hour at one specific park, because it dilutes the crowds. It makes the rest of your morning better because the one park with early entry would be over-crowded.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
hmm...wouldn't this have to be at a new resort that could not book at any other prior resorts at the home resort priority booking window? Don't the various owners' documents provide for home resort priority? I don't think DVC could unilaterally alter that.

They could maybe put points from each resort in a trust and sell "trust points" that have the booking privileges of all the underlying units.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
They could maybe put points from each resort in a trust and sell "trust points" that have the booking privileges of all the underlying units.

Worked well for ~10 years for Marriott MVC... until it didn't.

An occasional annual increase of 5.5% in MFs may not be a problem, if offset by lower increases in other years. But an annualized increase of 5.5% ($0.44/pt in 2013 to $0.79/pt in 2024) is probably not sustainable over the long term.

A quick look at VAC stock price history says it all - up 10x in about 10 years, but now about 60% below it's all time high.

DVC may not have all of the same underlying issues, that led to the Marriott situation, but it could be tempting for them to dump a lot of expensive (MF-wise) Vero and Aulani points into a Trust (acquired for cheap via foreclosures or ROFR), and very little from other resorts, and sell those points with the carrot of 11-month access to "sold out" resorts like VGF, BLT, and PVB. And if it's successful, just dump all the foreclosed points (which tend to have higher dues) into the Trust and keep selling them to the next in line...

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
I just received (and answered) a survey from Disney Destinations Research. While most of the questions were similar to ones I've received in the past (e.g. how happy are you and how much to you use your points for things other than staying at the resorts), there were a bunch of questions that focused on two new things.

First, there were a bunch of questions about my interest in Club level rooms at a DVC resort. Interestingly enough, while they described and asked about a bunch of potential benefits - a lounge with food and drink, better rooms, 'special' views from lounge and rooms, a concierge - they didn't mention the one thing that would make me pull the trigger - better access to the parks. (They did give a list of potential concierge services and park access wasn't one of them). To me, 90 Day Fastpasses were the big draw before - giving better access to ILLs, Virtual Queues, and Genie+ would be the big draw now.

Second, they asked a lot of questions about my experiences with my Home Resort and other resorts. This culminated in asking if I would be interested in buying DVC points at a resort that didn't have Home Resort priority (or to look at it another way, buying DVC points that allowed me to book at any resort at 11 months). I answered that I "strongly disagreed" and when they asked why I responded that I *like* having Home Resort priority. It's what makes DVC (and HGVC) a pleasure to own compared to MVC/Abound.
If they structured this like Club Wyndham, where they take a bunch of points from each resort, stick it in a trust, and then sell ownership in the Trust, they could create a product where you have home resort priority at every resort (until those points are exhausted at each resort for the time period) without necessarily hurting people who buy into just one resort for the 11/7 access. It might not be terrible if done like that (and would potentially create a resale market for points that could be used at restricted resorts).

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If anyone else gets this survey, would you mind posting screen shots of the questions?

I am not seeing this survey being discussed in any of the DVC groups I follow or even over on DisBoards.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
They could also be considering their options for 2042. If they put all those resorts after expiry into a new trust they could give 11 month priority for a pretty interesting portfolio.

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
They could also be considering their options for 2042. If they put all those resorts after expiry into a new trust they could give 11 month priority for a pretty interesting portfolio.
Boy, I have to believe they plan on dumping Vero & HH in '42, the maintenance on those is getting extreme.

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Could do both. A trust that was just Boardwalk/Beach Club/Boulder Ridge/part of Old Key West would sell very well, imo.
Incredibly well. Do we really think they’re surveying now for 2042 plans though? Maybe it’s sooner.

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don’t know, I find it pretty exciting. Resale restrictions are killing the value of resale properties. I don’t see how they can realistically put resale restrictions on trust points, at least as far as restricting resale purchasers from booking resorts within the trust.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps they could add some club-level units that would go for double points. Likely wouldn't work at all the DVCs but it would at some.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If anyone else gets this survey, would you mind posting screen shots of the questions?
Sorry, I should have. I didn't think of it at the time.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not seeing this survey being discussed in any of the DVC groups I follow or even over on DisBoards.
I just posted on DisBoards and will see what responses I'll get. I joined the 'boards over 15 years ago...I just don't hang there anymore because it is exhausting (kind of like getting a drink of water from a firehose).

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps they could add some club-level units that would go for double points. Likely wouldn't work at all the DVCs but it would at some.
They asked how many 'extra' points I would be willing to spend to stay in a Club Level villa...but the possible answers didn't make a lot of sense because they were in terms of points ranging from 5 to 50 instead of an additional percentage. Obviously, the number of points would vary significantly between a studio in September and a 3BR during Christmas Week.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just posted on DisBoards and will see what responses I'll get. I joined the 'boards over 15 years ago...I just don't hang there anymore because it is exhausting (kind of like getting a drink of water from a firehose).
There were a bunch of other people who got the survey. A bit of incredulousness about the idea and not a whole lot of love (unsurprisingly since the DVC forums on Disboards are populated almost exclusively by current owners).

The problem is that it is almost certain that *someone* who owns a trust point will want a reservation at that hard to get resort at 11 months. As it is now, an owner at VGC (like myself) may want to stay a few months later in the use year or somewhere else entirely. I would imagine that they would be priced somewhere in the middle of current direct prices so anyone buying intending to make and rent reservations would be keen to make 'high value' reservations at hard to get resorts.

And assuming that walking rules would be the same for the trust points, people desperately trying to get value out of them would be strongly incentivized to make reservations for Jan 1 (or the beginning of their trust point use year if trust points have one) and walk until their dates come up. Thus making reservations for current 'one resort' owners that much more annoying to obtain.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t know, I find it pretty exciting. Resale restrictions are killing the value of resale properties. I don’t see how they can realistically put resale restrictions on trust points, at least as far as restricting resale purchasers from booking resorts within the trust.

If they do this I'd expect resale to only get 7 month booking or something like that.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So...the 'boards have performed as expected. We're up to 29 pages of comments with no end in sight.

BUT...this being the DisBoards previously undiscovered nuggets of information have come to light. Articles of Incorporation for the PALMETTO TRUST ASSOCIATION, INC. have been filed with the State of Florida for a Trust Use Plan for Vacation Ownership Interests. With officers comprised of the usual bunch of DVD suspects including Yvonne Chang.

The plot thickens...

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Well, that's....surprising. I'm not sure why anyone thinks I know anything in particular!
I wasn't really sure what it was even in reference to, perhaps DVC doing it to save money.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Well, that's....surprising. I'm not sure why anyone thinks I know anything in particular!

I wasn't really sure what it was even in reference to, perhaps DVC doing it to save money.
Was it in reference to trust ownerships being easier to take back in case of default, as opposed to deeded ownerships? That was a unique idea no one else had presented. (I don’t watch the videos or listen to the podcasts, so I have no idea.)