• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Expedia or Direct Booking?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Facebook has taken to offering up dash cam car crashes in between cats being cute and silly dog and horse antics. I am a mess as a front seat passenger on the freeway these days. If we have a freeway trip coming up, for several days I consciously bypass watching nuts and bolts flying everywhere.
here's how I like to think about it . MOST of us know someone who has been in a bad car accident (or even killed). Guessing few of us know anyone who has died in a plane crash.

Not diminishing anxiety / fears in any way. They are legit. I like to just think about things in those terms b/c it grounds me.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
here's how I like to think about it . MOST of us know someone who has been in a bad car accident (or even killed). Guessing few of us know anyone who has died in a plane crash.

Not diminishing anxiety / fears in any way. They are legit. I like to just think about things in those terms b/c it grounds me.
Only know of someone who died in a plane crash remotely. A young woman who I worked with. Her parents were killed in a plan collision on the runway in Tenerife in 1977. But yes, I do know more people involved in car accidents.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
UPDATE #2:

So you won't believe this, but the trip is back on again. It started with me getting an email from Skyscanner saying they had a price reduction on American Airlines out of Manchester, NH. I was going to delete it but I had some time and figured what the hell? Mind you, this was not a huge price reduction, but anyway since I have been feeling guilty and kind sensing my brother was being a bit distant in his text messages, though that is not unusual for him sometimes, I started searching around again- Expedia packages, Momondo, etc. Here we go again. I got suckered into it.

Then I went directly onto the American Airlines website and ended up booking flights. The departing flight my brother originally wanted us to take had gone up $200 more each round trip, so I scratched that one! Was slim pickings, but I did get refundable tickets. Depart on a Saturday and home on Thursday. Only drawback is the the connecting time for the flight going down is only 58 minutes in Charlotte, NC. Yes, I am nervous about that but holding out hope it will be ok. And also the flight arrives in JAX at almost 8pm, but then I thought- why not just get a hotel there by the airport and leave the next morning for Palm Coast?

I had to call AA because after I booked I realized I didn't request a wheelchair and so the really nice rep added it and he said we could have better seats on all flights towards the front without paying extra! I was really happy about that because the aisle seats I initially picked were way in the back because you had to pay more to be upfront. So we also got aisle seats up front now, which is what we like. The rep also noticed I made a typo on my husband's first name by one letter so he ended up having to cancel my original booking and re-booked it with the correct spelling- all the same price, with the wheelchair and better seating. Phew! $1312.42. Refundable to my credit card if cancel.

I then booked at the Hyatt near the airport for the night with free breakfast. That was $152.09. Can cancel up until 4/10. After would be $148.38.

I then booked that Legacy Resort Timeshare at Palm Coast for 4 nights at $700.25. Can cancel up until the day before. After would have to pay $179.20.

Car rental from Auto Slash - Alamo- we will pick up when we land at JAX at $343.69 (was $20 more than my original booking last time) Free cancellation up until pick up. Pay at pick up.

And then we will have just the parking at Manchester Airport. The garage runs $87. If we park in the lot it runs $147. Can be booked on line with cancellation up until the day before but I want to check into it further to see what is best. Never been there.

So total cost would be $2595. Plus spending money, of course, which should be minimal except for meals out. A lot better than the $4500 I originally booked last time! 6 days, 5 nights- which was what I thought would be good from the start.

I could have my brother pick us up on Sunday at the hotel and then even stay with him and that would save us the resort money and the car rental but I still think 4 nights at his house would be too much. I figured we'd drive to his house on Sunday after we check out of the Hyatt and spend the day with him since we cannot check into the resort until 4 pm. Then before or after check in we will head to Publix to buy some breakfast food. The rest of the Monday, Tuesday and Wed we will spend with him and my sisterinlaw, including going to St. Augustine and seeing my aunt there.

My brother liked (the outside of) the resort when he went to check it out. He said his favorite trail is there and he wants his ashes thrown there when he dies! So definitely a good pick location wise.

I am pretty sure we don't need any kind of Travel insurance for this trip- meaning the hotels, since the flights are refundable and the car doesn't have to be paid until we get there. Total costs of the hotels is $852 and just checking on Generali it would be $74 to insure that. If we cancelled the hotels ahead of time we would lose $300 cancellation fees, but if trip was interrupted once going or being there we would lose the other $600 resort charge. Not sure how the refundable airfare works if you make one or two flights but not the others? Am I missing something?

And yes I overthink everything. It's a bad flaw of mine I know. I am not a worldly traveler and i make myself crazy.

The interesting thing about all this is I realized after booking this, and it took me all afternoon, that today is my mom's birthday. She passed back in 2011. I thought I bet she is telling me "go see your brother"!

BTW- I did not tell my brother about any costs involved, but his first reaction was No! Don't book something to Palm Coast for only 5 days that costs as much as our business class flights to California. He wanted to know what it was costing and if they were direct flights and I told him not to worry about it. It is a lot less expensive than what I booked last time. I told him no matter what, airfare is expensive and no direct flights out of Manchester.

So that's the very loooooong story. Thanks for reading. I know it seems ridiculous someone would go through all this just to go to Florida. LOL!

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Sounds like it all worked out in the end. Now you just have to have a good time.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It sounds like you are your own best TA.
Pay yourself a good commission.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
How much would the airfare have been if you had booked regular tickets instead of fully refundable tickets? You usually pay a big premium for that, and you can still cancel a regular ticket and get travel funds good for a year. Interesting choice.

Kurt

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
UPDATE #2:

So you won't believe this, but the trip is back on again. It started with me getting an email from Skyscanner saying they had a price reduction on American Airlines out of Manchester, NH. I was going to delete it but I had some time and figured what the hell? Mind you, this was not a huge price reduction, but anyway since I have been feeling guilty and kind sensing my brother was being a bit distant in his text messages, though that is not unusual for him sometimes, I started searching around again- Expedia packages, Momondo, etc. Here we go again. I got suckered into it.

Then I went directly onto the American Airlines website and ended up booking flights. The departing flight my brother originally wanted us to take had gone up $200 more each round trip, so I scratched that one! Was slim pickings, but I did get refundable tickets. Depart on a Saturday and home on Thursday. Only drawback is the the connecting time for the flight going down is only 58 minutes in Charlotte SC. Yes, I am nervous about that but holding out hope it will be ok. And also the flight arrives in JAX at almost 8pm, but then I thought- why not just get a hotel there by the airport and leave the next morning for Palm Coast?

I had to call AA because after I booked I realized I didn't request a wheelchair and so the really nice rep added it and he said we could have better seats on all flights towards the front without paying extra! I was really happy about that because the aisle seats I initially picked were way in the back because you had to pay more to be upfront. So we also got aisle seats up front now, which is what we like. The rep also noticed I made a typo on my husband's first name by one letter so he ended up having to cancel my original booking and re-booked it with the correct spelling- all the same price, with the wheelchair and better seating. Phew! $1312.42. Refundable to my credit card if cancel.

I then booked at the Hyatt near the airport for the night with free breakfast. That was $152.09. Can cancel up until 4/10. After would be $148.38.

I then booked that Legacy Resort Timeshare at Palm Coast for 4 nights at $700.25. Can cancel up until the day before. After would have to pay $179.20.

Car rental from Auto Slash - Alamo- we will pick up when we land at JAX at $343.69 (was $20 more than my original booking last time) Free cancellation up until pick up. Pay at pick up.

And then we will have just the parking at Manchester Airport. The garage runs $87. If we park in the lot it runs $147. Can be booked on line with cancellation up until the day before but I want to check into it further to see what is best. Never been there.

So total cost would be $2595. Plus spending money, of course, which should be minimal except for meals out. A lot better than the $4500 I originally booked last time! 6 days, 5 nights- which was what I thought would be good from the start.

I could have my brother pick us up on Sunday at the hotel and then even stay with him and that would save us the resort money and the car rental but I still think 4 nights at his house would be too much. I figured we'd drive to his house on Sunday after we check out of the Hyatt and spend the day with him since we cannot check into the resort until 4 pm. Then before or after check in we will head to Publix to buy some breakfast food. The rest of the Monday, Tuesday and Wed we will spend with him and my sisterinlaw, including going to St. Augustine and seeing my aunt there.

My brother liked (the outside of) the resort when he went to check it out. He said his favorite trail is there and he wants his ashes thrown there when he dies! So definitely a good pick location wise.

I am pretty sure we don't need any kind of Travel insurance for this trip- meaning the hotels, since the flights are refundable and the car doesn't have to be paid until we get there. Total costs of the hotels is $852 and just checking on Generali it would be $74 to insure that. If we cancelled the hotels ahead of time we would lose $300 cancellation fees, but if trip was interrupted once going or being there we would lose the other $600 resort charge. Not sure how the refundable airfare works if you make one or two flights but not the others? Am I missing something?

And yes I overthink everything. It's a bad flaw of mine I know. I am not a worldly traveler and i make myself crazy.

The interesting thing about all this is I realized after booking this, and it took me all afternoon, that today is my mom's birthday. She passed back in 2011. I thought I bet she is telling me "go see your brother"!

BTW- I did not tell my brother about any costs involved, but his first reaction was No! Don't book something to Palm Coast for only 5 days that costs as much as our business class flights to California. He wanted to know what it was costing and if they were direct flights and I told him not to worry about it. It is a lot less expensive than what I booked last time. I told him no matter what, airfare is expensive and no direct flights out of Manchester.

So that's the very loooooong story. Thanks for reading. I know it seems ridiculous someone would go through all this just to go to Florida. LOL!
From JAX to Palm Coast is 76 miles on I95 - about a 70 minute drive. I'm surprised you want to get a hotel room in Jacksonville for a night before going to Palm Coast the next day. I would go straight to Palm Coast.

Richard

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
From JAX to Palm Coast is 76 miles on I95 - about a 70 minute drive. I'm surprised you want to get a hotel room in Jacksonville for a night before going to Palm Coast the next day. I would go straight to Palm Coast.

Richard
That’s what my husband said. But the reason I did that is because we are getting into the airport at around 8 pm if all goes well. I figured either way we have to stay at a hotel or the timeshare that night. My husband (and I) despite what he says- does not have good night vision. We are not familiar with where we are going. ( I do know it’s a straight run down). Not to mention when we are home my husband is often falling asleep on his chair at 8 pm. So I thought why not just stay by the airport have breakfast the next morning and then head on down to PC? :shrug:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
How much would the airfare have been if you had booked regular tickets instead of fully refundable tickets? You usually pay a big premium for that, and you can still cancel a regular ticket and get travel funds good for a year. Interesting choice.

Kurt
The reason is because if we don’t go this April we are not going at all. Frankly, I doubt we will be flying anywhere else after this year. It’s not like we fly a lot. I hate it.

My brother will be in California in May. We have a place booked in Vermont in June. We love it where we live in the summer and fall (and it’s hot in Florida anyway in the summer, not to mention hurricane season), and then we are going to Sicily/ Italy in October. And we don’t travel in winter. (Yeah- I know we’re odd like that.)

So- refundable tickets added $150 to our total price. And I figured then we don’t have to worry about getting travel insurance for the flights. Unless I’m missing something with that.

(In fact- we are doing the same thing for our tickets to Sicily because we are going a day earlier than the tour package and we couldn’t use their flights. So because we had to buy travel insurance when we made the deposit for that trip, that is what the TA recommended. She said when the time comes she will book refundable tickets.)

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
No! Don't book something to Palm Coast for only 5 days
I hate this kind of thinking. People do this whole "oh I spent money on airfare so I need to stay a long time on my trip to justify the cost". Then a trip lasts too long. People get bored. Tired of each other and then the whole point of the trip is soured.

Enjoy your trip. I'm going to St. Augustine this weekend for the Daytona 500 & am pretty damn excited.

susieq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
That’s what my husband said. But the reason I did that is because we are getting into the airport at around 8 pm if all goes well. I figured either way we have to stay at a hotel or the timeshare that night. My husband (and I) despite what he says- does not have good night vision. We are not familiar with where we are going. ( I do know it’s a straight run down). Not to mention when we are home my husband is often falling asleep on his chair at 8 pm. So I thought why not just stay by the airport have breakfast the next morning and then head on down to PC? :shrug:

That's usually what I do when we fly. You're tired from flying all day, the stress etc.............. a good night's rest is a good thing, Also, our last trip out to California, we flew in/out of PVD ~ about an hour from home. We got back around 8 at night, so I booked a hotel in Warwick for that night, (with a shuttle to/from the airport). What I'm getting at is that I had booked through Park and Fly ~ if we stayed 1 night at the hotel either before or after our trip, we could park our car there. I figured it was safer than the airport, (smaller, lights, security), and it only cost about $30-$40 more than the airport. All we had to do the next day was eat their free breakfast and take a leisurely drive home!

BTW ~ have a good safe trip!!! Enjoy the time with your Brother!!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
only 58 minutes in Charlotte SC.
CLT is in NC. Anyways - it is a large crowded airport so be prepared to expedite from gate A to gate B. I just made a connection there last week. I arrived in E terminal and departed from B terminal. Long , long walk in huge crowds.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
So- refundable tickets added $150 to our total price. And I figured then we don’t have to worry about getting travel insurance for the flights. Unless I’m missing something with that.
That's not bad at all. Seems like when I check they are almost double the cost. Yep, no need for travel insurance!

Kurt

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
That's not bad at all. Seems like when I check they are almost double the cost. Yep, no need for travel insurance!

Kurt
And today I just cancelled and rebooked the Legacy timeshare since I never got my “Genius” discount on booking.com because the verification codes kept going into my spam folder.

Savings: another $65 win!

Gosh- this stuff gives me a headache, though! lol!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
CLT is in NC. Anyways - it is a large crowded airport so be prepared to expedite from gate A to gate B. I just made a connection there last week. I arrived in E terminal and departed from B terminal. Long , long walk in huge crowds.
Thanks. Correction made.

My brother said it’s a smaller airport compared to the larger ones. Hmmmm….

But I did request a wheelchair.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Smaller than?

It's a AA hub. And in the top 10 busiest airports in the
Smaller than?

It's a AA hub. And in the top 10 busiest airports in the US.

Well at this point I have no choice. There really was slim pickings. I don’t like it but I don’t see any better option out of our airport.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed - your plans are made. Just wanted you to be aware. The AA map will provide an estimated walk time from one gate to the next.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Agreed - your plans are made. Just wanted you to be aware. The AA map will provide an estimated walk time from one gate to the next.
Oh wow. I didn’t know there was a man without info.

It’s funny when I booked it didn’t flag the short connection time, though I was aware of what it was, yet it did for other flights that were like 40 or 30 minute connection times

But after I booked the flight on line, it did flag it.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh wow. I didn’t know there was a man without info.

It’s funny when I booked it didn’t flag the short connection time, though I was aware of what it was, yet it did for other flights that were like 40 or 30 minute connection times

But after I booked the flight on line, it did flag it.
Sounds like your seats are in the front of the plane so that will also help.

JAX is a very manageable airport.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Sounds like your seats are in the front of the plane so that will also help.

JAX is a very manageable airport.
I’ll be relieved once we get on the flight from CLT to JAX. After that I’m good.😊

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So today there was a bomb threat at Manchester Airport and they had to evacuate the whole airport for 4 hours!

My husband said now I have something else to worry about! Lol!

Have I mentioned how I hate to fly?

susieq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
So today there was a bomb threat at Manchester Airport and they had to evacuate the whole airport for 4 hours!

My husband said now I have something else to worry about! Lol!

Have I mentioned how I hate to fly?

Oh no ................ all I can say is if it weren't for bad luck ............... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

jfleck2020

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Crane - Barbados
You should be fine with a 58 minute connection. Typically the airlines schedule a little more time than they actually need on these flights and I would wager you get to Charlotte earlier than the official time scheduled. Charlotte is a large airport but if you have wheel chair service then they should help you a lot if the gates are far apart.

Sparro

Reaction score
Airfare is probably the #1 thing I absolutely will not cut corners on when it comes to travel - book directly with the airlines to avoid unexpected fees, hassles with changes, potentially mis-allocated or disconnected tickets, customer service nightmares, you name it. Save up ahead of time or budget other details to find ways to save money, but don't do it when it comes to booking airfare.