• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First time going to Egypt - Need some advice!

Reaction score
Hey guys, my friend and I are planning a trip to Egypt in a few months. We're trying to decide between spending more time in Cairo vs Luxor. or should we go both? What are some of the top attractions and experiences we shouldn't miss in each place? And would you recommend hiring a tour guide? We want to make the most of our time but don't want to be rushed. I read a thread about Cairo and Luxor here but don't have much information and suggestion. I hope I get more suggestions from you all and would be greatly appreciated!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Neither of these places are real timeshare hotspots. Maybe check Rick Steves or Lonely Planet guide books.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Egypt is very cheap paying cash. No need to use timeshares. As an example, an upscale beachfront resort in Sharm El Sheikh, all-inclusive, will cost you around $100 per night for two people.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
between spending more time in Cairo vs Luxor. or should we go both?

Both.

I lived in Egypt for a full year. But that was a long time ago. The ancient stuff hasn't changed a bit since when I lived there. But basically everything else has.

Since I was there for so long, I was able to slowly see everything Egypt has to offer. If you're planning the standard US "hit-and-run" trip, you're really going to need to prioritize.

Cairo: The Egyptian Museum alone is worth a full week. It's like the last scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark -- a massive warehouse full of archeological treasures. Then you have Giza, three dozen other pyramids that aren't famous, Tahrir Square, and the city itself has an endless supply of interesting places.

Luxor: The Temple of Hatshepsut is the most impressive man-made thing I have ever seen. And that's just one of hundreds of things to see in Luxor.
And then there's Aswan, Alexandria, and the Sinai -- which for a scuba diver is better than everything else combined.

Next time I go, it will be a full month.

Reaction score
Egypt is very cheap paying cash. No need to use timeshares. As an example, an upscale beachfront resort in Sharm El Sheikh, all-inclusive, will cost you around $100 per night for two people.
I googles Sharm El Sheikh I think it's a good place to stay in together with my partner. I would ask her if she will like it here. Thank you for this reco.

Reaction score
Both.

I lived in Egypt for a full year. But that was a long time ago. The ancient stuff hasn't changed a bit since when I lived there. But basically everything else has.

Since I was there for so long, I was able to slowly see everything Egypt has to offer. If you're planning the standard US "hit-and-run" trip, you're really going to need to prioritize.

Cairo: The Egyptian Museum alone is worth a full week. It's like the last scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark -- a massive warehouse full of archeological treasures. Then you have Giza, three dozen other pyramids that aren't famous, Tahrir Square, and the city itself has an endless supply of interesting places.

Luxor: The Temple of Hatshepsut is the most impressive man-made thing I have ever seen. And that's just one of hundreds of things to see in Luxor.
And then there's Aswan, Alexandria, and the Sinai -- which for a scuba diver is better than everything else combined.

Next time I go, it will be a full month.
Wow! How was the experience living for full year there? I think we should just really do both, right?
I will add this on my itinerary both Cairo and Luxor that you suggested. But since it's our first time, would you think it would be better to hire a guide? What are the pros and cons of getting one? I just really wanna know.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
We did a guided group tour of Egypt last year. At most of the major sites, we noticed individual guides working with families or couples to explain the site. Unless you can really spend the time in advance to study all the places in advance, I think having a guide for some would be helpful.

We did Cairo, Aswan, Luxor and ended with few days by the Red Sea and a visit to a Bedouin village. It was an amazing trip, but hot and crowded at most of the major places.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Wow! How was the experience living for full year there? I think we should just really do both, right?
I will add this on my itinerary both Cairo and Luxor that you suggested. But since it's our first time, would you think it would be better to hire a guide? What are the pros and cons of getting one? I just really wanna know.

I never hired a guide. I was young and backpacking.

Today, I'd hire a driver before I'd hire a guide. I've actually driven in Cairo. And I'll never do that again. The driver won't be a particularly good tour guide at the Sphinx or the Valley of the Kings. But he will get you there and he will chase off the touts. You can read a guidebook for the information.

Cairo is a must. The Sound and Light show is a must. (But you don't actually have to sit with the other tourists and pay a lot of money. Just be in the area at night -- they can't charge your retinas for photons.) Luxor is a must. Abu Simbel is a must. You can catch an inexpensive flight from Aswan to Abu Simbel which will knock most of a day of driving off the trip. Most visitors take a shared taxi/bus and it's four hours each way. The flight is a matter of minutes and you get all day at the site. Worth it. If you can fly there from Luxor, that might be an option as well. Although I really liked Aswan. The Temple of Isis at Philae and Kitchener's Island are worth seeing.

I'd get a Lonely Planet Egypt guide and start prioritizing. It's impossible to rush Egypt. So I'd seriously look into adding days to your trip.

And bring Lomatil and Cipro.

Last edited:

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
DS did a deployment to eygpt a few years ago and they were very restricted where they could go because of terriorism. Current state dept warnings:
Do not travel to:

• The Sinai Peninsula (with the exception of travel to Sharm El-Sheikh by air) due to terrorism.
  • The Western Desert due to terrorism.
  • Egyptian border areas due to military zones.
He did fly his girlfriend over and they stayed at sharm el sharif and had a great time.

SusanRN

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I spent 12 days in Egypt in late April 1981 as part of a college alumni group tour and therefore had guides everywhere, which was wonderful. As @ScoopKona said, the ancient stuff will be the same as at that time. I definitely second the recommendations already made concerning places to visit and using Lonely Planet guide. It would be fun to ride in a felucca if you go to Upper Egypt.
Even the end of April it was 116F, so prepare!
Also, I strongly recommend taking prophylactic Pepto-bismol to lower your risk of traveler's diarrhea substantially. Check t:his CDC advice site https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2024/preparing/travelers-diarrhea
You will want to eat only foods that are cooked and hot [no salad, unpeelable fruit] and only drink beverages in factory-sealed containers [remember that when brushing your teeth], but still... You want to lower the risk of spending three days of your vacation hovering near your hotel bathroom.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
You will want to eat only foods that are cooked and hot [no salad, unpeelable fruit] and only drink beverages in factory-sealed containers [remember that when brushing your teeth], but still... You want to lower the risk of spending three days of your vacation hovering near your hotel bathroom.

The sickest I've ever been was in Egypt. I'll spare the gross details.

As much as I hate fast food, in a country where food-illness is so common, the salad bar at Pizza Hut in Giza, within sight of the pyramids (or at least it was), never once got me sick. I'd go there, order the salad bar, and leave.

It's a shame because Egyptian food is tasty. But there is so much cross-contamination going on that it's nigh-on impossible to avoid food borne illness. I wouldn't even 100% trust fast food. (But it is at least better because the company washing-up policies are at least loosely followed.) It's best not to think about why the contamination happens in the first place.

My strategy was "eat local until I got hit with another dose of Ramses Revenge," and then switch to fast food. I went through a great deal of Lomatil in Egypt.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
when visiting the Pyramids do not fall for these tourist traps, taking pictures with the so called local police, do not sit on a camel to take a picture, do not let a strangers use your cellphone to take your photo. They want the American dollars to perform these tasks. Walk in groups around the Pyramids and in Cairo.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
We also got hit by food borne illness, despite being very careful about what we ate. The worst of the symptoms passed fairly quickly but needed to take a probiotic for a few days after we got home to get my system back to normal.

Reaction score
The sickest I've ever been was in Egypt. I'll spare the gross details.

As much as I hate fast food, in a country where food-illness is so common, the salad bar at Pizza Hut in Giza, within sight of the pyramids (or at least it was), never once got me sick. I'd go there, order the salad bar, and leave.

It's a shame because Egyptian food is tasty. But there is so much cross-contamination going on that it's nigh-on impossible to avoid food borne illness. I wouldn't even 100% trust fast food. (But it is at least better because the company washing-up policies are at least loosely followed.) It's best not to think about why the contamination happens in the first place.

My strategy was "eat local until I got hit with another dose of Ramses Revenge," and then switch to fast food. I went through a great deal of Lomatil in Egypt.
I'm sorry to hear about what happened with you in Egypt! I would take note of your strategy.

Reaction score
We did a guided group tour of Egypt last year. At most of the major sites, we noticed individual guides working with families or couples to explain the site. Unless you can really spend the time in advance to study all the places in advance, I think having a guide for some would be helpful.

We did Cairo, Aswan, Luxor and ended with few days by the Red Sea and a visit to a Bedouin village. It was an amazing trip, but hot and crowded at most of the major places.
A friend of mine recommended this tour guide https://gowithguide.com/egypt and he got good feedback about this guides, What do you think about this? or do you have any recommendations on what guide did you get? I would really much appreciate it!

Yes, I am consider getting both Cairo and Luxor. I'll take note visiting those. Thank you!

Reaction score
I spent 12 days in Egypt in late April 1981 as part of a college alumni group tour and therefore had guides everywhere, which was wonderful. As @ScoopKona said, the ancient stuff will be the same as at that time. I definitely second the recommendations already made concerning places to visit and using Lonely Planet guide. It would be fun to ride in a felucca if you go to Upper Egypt.
Even the end of April it was 116F, so prepare!
Also, I strongly recommend taking prophylactic Pepto-bismol to lower your risk of traveler's diarrhea substantially. Check t:his CDC advice site https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2024/preparing/travelers-diarrhea
Definitely we wouldn't war to have any sickness during trip. I take note of this, Thank you for your advice!

Reaction score
We also got hit by food borne illness, despite being very careful about what we ate. The worst of the symptoms passed fairly quickly but needed to take a probiotic for a few days after we got home to get my system back to normal.
are their foods safe? I'm kinda scared that i will end up having those because mostly of you having bad experience about their foods. lol

ScoopKona

Reaction score
are their foods safe? I'm kinda scared that i will end up having those because mostly of you having bad experience about their foods. lol

The food is safe. How they prepare it is not. You can't trust anyone who handles your food. Think Typhoid Mary, except he's a he. And his name is E. Coli Amir.

Edwardjuine

Reaction score
Excited to read this! Amazing understanding and the excellence of detail distributed is wonderful!
Thanks!

Daytripz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Willow Ridge
Breckenridge Grand
We were there 15 years ago, so I don’t recall what tour guide we used. However, having a tour guide take us around was some of the best money we spent. I agree with @ScoopKona’s description of the Egyptian Museum. It is an absolute must.

We did not make it to Luxor and I have so much regret about that.

Egypt is one place where would pack my itinerary as full as I could. We had the “we’ll get back here” attitude. But there is just so much world to see…. It’s hard to prioritize going back. See as much as you can while you are there!

That said, we did make it to Sharm El Sheikh and it’s one of my favorite places on this earth. You don’t need to snorkel. You can be ankle deep in the water and it is like wading in an aquarium. The tropical fish are everywhere.

The chances of getting sick from the food is highly likely. Bring meds. And count yourself very lucky if you don’t.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
LOL. Saw the title, my 1st thought was "Don't brush your teeth with tap water, as I did. Big mistake." Then the 1st post I see talks about getting sick.
Otherwise, on a trip to Egypt longer than maybe 5 days, I cant how you wouldn't go to both Cairo vs Luxor. Yes. Both.
Tour guide? Yes.
Egyptian Museum. Yes.
Tap water? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. write "No Tap" on a piece of tape and wrap it around your toothbrush
Cairo's air was bad when we were there, so bring a bunch of face masks, since they're so widely available.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are they still dumping garage in the streets?

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got really sick, too, when we were in Egypt…actually it was right when we were leaving and after the plane had taken off…I must have eaten something bad at the concierge lounge before we left the….boy, I got hit hard, and all while on the flight back to London….terrilbe experience those four hours. But, thankfully it was just me…not the kids or my husband. So be careful, and If there is any kind of medicine your doctor could prescribe to you in advance, I would highly recommend it.
Besides that, our trip was amazing! We hired a local tour guide which included a driver, and she took us all over. It was fantastic! I found her though people on trip advisor, but that was 16 years ago.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I got really sick, too, when we were in Egypt…actually it was right when we were leaving and after the plane had taken off…I must have eaten something bad at the concierge lounge before we left the….boy, I got hit hard, and all while on the flight back to London….

Most food illnesses have a longer incubation period. The big four -- two of which are the main culprits in Egypt -- take 18-24 hours, usually. There are outliers, sure. But they're anomalies, not the curve. The myth that "what you taste when you're sick is what made you sick" is just that, a myth. The sickest I've ever been was after eating a processed, wrapped food product which is available worldwide. (I won't name names because it's not what made me sick.) I was violently ill for two full days. And to this day, I won't eat that product because it brings back awful memories. Hell, just typing this brings me back to those days. It wasn't the wrapped food item. It was most-likely what I had for lunch the previous day. The wrapped product just had the bad luck of being the last thing I ate before becoming violently ill.

All of you could have eaten the same thing. And all it takes is someone touching your food with contaminated hands/utensils/etc. Or that you received just enough bacteria to cause symptoms, and everyone else didn't.

Ramses Revenge is a given there. Discussing WHY it's a given would get us in trouble.