• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First time to Hawaii

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
The trade off is the east coast is a heck of a lot closer to the Caribbean and its variety of Island destinations!
Yes, I do miss the Caribbean. Not many decent flights from CA to there. I actually started sprinkling in some Miami Bch as an alt to HI & Caribbean. Good non-stops from CA to MIA. If anyone knows if "charters" from CA to Caribbean exist (or ever existed), let me know.
Aruba from CA? Barbados from CA? Anybody know the best flights?

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Yes, I do miss the Caribbean. Not many decent flights from CA to there. I actually started sprinkling in some Miami Bch as an alt to HI & Caribbean. Good non-stops from CA to MIA. If anyone knows if "charters" from CA to Caribbean exist (or ever existed), let me know.
Aruba from CA? Barbados from CA? Anybody know the best flights?
Alaska Airlines recently introduced (or I recently became aware of) seasonal non stop routes to Nassau Bahama from Seattle. I looked and discovered they also have a nonstop from LAX. I looked for Feb 2024 and flexible days.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Government ... Mixed Msgs. I'm shocked. Shocked.
I didn't say "strictly limit". I said "segment". Note the difference. Segmenting in no way precludes growth in any bucket.
And I simply cannot understand the back & forth on this. If you asked the Director of the HTA "Give me 1 word why Oahu has the most visitors of the isles?", if he had had his AM coffee and were thinking on the balls of his feet, he would say "Infrastructure". Same for the governor. If they were lazy & tired, they might say "History" or "Tradition", but they both know the answer is "Infrastructure" and so do the people on their staffs.

"airport in Kahului is going to be expanded." = INFRASTRUCTURE. It is the #1 factor in that discussion. It is far far ahead of #2. It is hardly worth the effort to try to rank #2 vs #3 vs #4 vs #5
3qzg9h.jpg

My comment wasn't about your comment but your link from the tourism authority reminded me of the controversy here about tourism during the pandemic.

This is a timeshare website and these posts are opinions, including yours.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
Sure. Note that on that topic, I didn't give you an opinion. I gave you a link to the relevant doc that states the thoughts, goals, strategies of the people who actually have their hands on the wheel. I could give you my opinion, but it doesn't matter. That is the "PLAN" that was written and must have been written in 2019, before the lockdowns. I'll give you an opinion that there are 5 or 6 sentences in that doc that make their goals very clear, even among all the blah blah blah.
In addition, in 2018/19, I read a few quotes by the gov and by the head of the HTA that much more bluntly made this clear. When I read that doc, I thought it was just a much more generic / bureaucratic version of what they had already said, but the 5 or 6 sentences were very interesting.
Now, you live there, so you may think that 2020-25 strategy was made obsolete by the lockdowns. IDK. More than happy to hear your opinion on that. Are the "strict limit on growth" voices stronger than in 2019? Do they have the votes / power to cahnge the plan notably? Have you seen recent quotes by the governor that state anything clearly along those lines? in short, do you think the lockdowns changed the goals / strategies notably in either direction?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Sure. Note that on that topic, I didn't give you an opinion. I gave you a link to the relevant doc that states the thoughts, goals, strategies of the people who actually have their hands on the wheel. I could give you my opinion, but it doesn't matter. That is the "PLAN" that was written and must have been written in 2019, before the lockdowns. I'll give you an opinion that there are 5 or 6 sentences in that doc that make their goals very clear, even among all the blah blah blah.
In addition, in 2018/19, I read a few quotes by the gov and by the head of the HTA that much more bluntly made this clear. When I read that doc, I thought it was just a much more generic / bureaucratic version of what they had already said, but the 5 or 6 sentences were very interesting.
Now, you live there, so you may think that 2020-25 strategy was made obsolete by the lockdowns. IDK. More than happy to hear your opinion on that. Are the "strict limit on growth" voices stronger than in 2019? Do they have the votes / power to cahnge the plan notably? Have you seen recent quotes by the governor that state anything clearly along those lines? in short, do you think the lockdowns changed the goals / strategies notably in either direction?
I wasn't referring to that topic.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
2) It's not Hawaii, but if you've never been to San Francisco, several days there would be a very good choice for breaking up your trip. Did you know that the redwoods in Muir Woods are less than an hour's drive from downtown SF? Did you know that you can take a ferry ride across the bay to Tiburon, and have lunch at Sam's Dockside Cafe which is right next to the ferry terminal? Did you know that the Golden Gate View Point is a great place to get a picture of the bridge? There's so much to see and do in the SFO area, you really need a guide book before you make decisions.
October is usually one of our nicest months here and it rarely gets too hot. (Too chilly, yes, in the foggy seasons but we are grateful for it these days!)

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
2) It's not Hawaii, but if you've never been to San Francisco, several days there would be a very good choice for breaking up your trip. Did you know that the redwoods in Muir Woods are less than an hour's drive from downtown SF? Did you know that you can take a ferry ride across the bay to Tiburon, and have lunch at Sam's Dockside Cafe which is right next to the ferry terminal? Did you know that the Golden Gate View Point is a great place to get a picture of the bridge? There's so much to see and do in the SFO area, you really need a guide book before you make decisions.
We've been breaking up our trips to Maui with a stop in San Francisco for 2 nights both going to and coming back. We used to live in the SF Bay Area and still have a daughter living there, so for us it's a visit "home" and a chance to see her.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lots of good info here. I always recommend Oahu as the first choice for the first visit. For 9-14 days, I'd do 2 islands with Oahu being the first week. Maui would be my second choice but Kauai would be a good choice as well. The reason I recommend Oahu for the first trip is due to the infrastructure and the historical & Cultural options.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
This really depends on what you like to do and how active you like to be on vacation. If you want to add another island I would add 5-7 nights at Maui. But I dont like the idea of wasting another day traveling because even though it's only about a 40minute flight you will spend all day moving and settling in. If you change hotels on Oahu it's almost the same as flying over to Maui. You've also got a big time difference to deal with. The great thing about Oahu is that is has most all the things that you can find on other islands plus a big city if you want one. The walking paths at Ko Olina just can't be beat. Lots of room to walk and beautiful lagoons to look at or swim in. We typically will spend all days at the resort and one day visiting the north shore. It can be a very relaxing trip or very active. If you have time spend a day at Lanikai Beach and rent kayaks and paddle out to the two islands right off the shore. Lanikai is probably the most beautiful beach in Hawaii and not many people go there. It will be a day you will always remember.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
If you have to change resorts on Oahu you likely are checking out by 10 am and then can’t check in until 4 pm. Sure you could drive around and do something, but you’ll likely have luggage etc in your car which will limit activity.

I would try to time it so I had a noon flight to Maui. Check out at the resort around 9:30 am. Drop off the car and through security by 10:30. Have a quick bite to eat for lunch. Land at OGG at 1 pm, pick up the car at 1:45 (assuming luggage conveyors are working properly) which gives you plenty of time to leisurely drive to your resort and pick up some groceries or supplies and still make a 4 pm arrival. Get settled and acquainted with the resort, have a nice dinner while watching the sunset.

Doesn’t seem like a wasted day to me relative to what you would do on Oahu between resorts.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Sure you could drive around and do something, but you’ll likely have luggage etc in your car which will limit activity.
If you want to stay on Oahu, you can check into the hotel early and leave your luggage with the bell captain.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have to change resorts on Oahu you likely are checking out by 10 am and then can’t check in until 4 pm. Sure you could drive around and do something, but you’ll likely have luggage etc in your car which will limit activity....
When leaving Hilton Hawaiian Village we've dropped off our luggage at Ko Olina and then gone exploring...the same is true when we've flown to Kauai, Maui, or the Big Island. Infrequently our room has been ready when we arrive...but usually not.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Many years ago (20+) I booked a trip to Hawaii over an extended Memorial Day weekend. It was my 'new' husband's first visit. Can't recall what possessed me to schedule such a short stay. I booked 3 nights on Waikiki and 1 night at Turtle Bay. I purposely wanted him to see the contrast between Oahu and other parts of the Island. We had a great stay and Hawaii became our favorite destination. (Easier because I live in CA.) In recent years, I won't even consider going for less than 10 days, usually 2-3 weeks.

It's a tie between Maui and Kauai for my favorite. One visit to Big Island was enough for me. I often tack-on a few days in Oahu.

StaceyM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spent 12 days in Hawaii about 15 years ago and stayed 7 nights at Ko Olina and 5 nights in Kapalua in a condo on the same property as the Ritz Carlton. I'd take Maui hands down over Oahu, but it sounds like you're all set for staying at Ko Olina. When we flew back, we took United from OGG to LAX to Dulles. I was jetlagged to the max. I don't know how bad it affects you and your wife, but sure wished we would have spent a couple days on the way back in LA, San Francisco, or even Denver to get acclimated. You may be able to snag a few days at Newport Coast Villas in October for a reasonable cash price using your Marriott owners discount code. I'm going to NCV Nov. 5 for a week and flights are really reasonable.
I have a slightly different opinion on jetlag. Hawaii to east coast is about the same length as central/west US - Europe direct, or east coast with a connection in London before continuing to eastern Europe. So I'm drawing mostly from those travel experiences.

The best way to overcome jetlag when I'm on an eastbound redeye is to try and grab as much sleep as possible on the flight, push through at my destination and stay up until after sunset, go to bed and wake up without an alarm the next day. Any other strategy I've tried (any sort of nap or sleep before sunset, or trying to gradually adapt, overnight in London or Paris, etc) backfires and makes the jetlag worse. So I would say bite the bullet and push through, just plan on a nothing day (unpacking, doing laundry, going through the mail, etc) on your first day home.

Plus, the effort to get to Hawaii is so much higher than the west coast, I would maximize my time on the islands, even if it was just staying on Oahu.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a slightly different opinion on jetlag. Hawaii to east coast is about the same length as central/west US - Europe direct, or east coast with a connection in London before continuing to eastern Europe. So I'm drawing mostly from those travel experiences.

The best way to overcome jetlag when I'm on an eastbound redeye is to try and grab as much sleep as possible on the flight, push through at my destination and stay up until after sunset, go to bed and wake up without an alarm the next day. Any other strategy I've tried (any sort of nap or sleep before sunset, or trying to gradually adapt, overnight in London or Paris, etc) backfires and makes the jetlag worse. So I would say bite the bullet and push through, just plan on a nothing day (unpacking, doing laundry, going through the mail, etc) on your first day home.

Plus, the effort to get to Hawaii is so much higher than the west coast, I would maximize my time on the islands, even if it was just staying on Oahu.
It took me over a week to get used to the six hour time difference. I had to be at work by 9 in the morning, and I was still on a body clock that didn't want me to go to sleep until 3 in the morning. I think it really affects folks differently. I'm one of those people who never uses and alarm clock, but can get up whenever I want to even for early flights, etc. That probably has something to do with it. I would probably do much better with the trip going east to Europe. Appreciate your comments.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
My vote. If you can get another 4+ days, go see another island. Oahu is nice, but adding Maui or Kauai will give you a broader feel for the Hawaiian Islands. Ko Olina is great on Oahu, as are many other parts of the island….but Honolulu is very busy. Nice to see Waikiki, Diamond Head, etc…but there are better spots in my opinion. To each their own though. If you do go to two islands, just realize you do lose 1/2 to 2/3 of a day…between checkout, plane & transit, and checkin.

Last edited:

craft

Reaction score
Hawaii has a unique sad history and is worth exploring. See the Bishop Museum and the Iolani Palace. If you are planning to go to visit Pearl Harbor, go early so you can also see the Air Museum. The Polynesian Cultural Center will give you a glimpse of the Polynesian triangle. The Mormon temple is nearby and is worth stopping in to tour. For free snorkeling, Pupukea is a good beach to go to during low tide or you can pay to snorkel at Hanauma bay There are several heiaus around the island, you can look them up on a visitor website. Unlike Ko Olina which has a man made beach, Kailua beach is natural and popular with visitors as well as locals. If you like zoos, the Honolulu zoo is fun. There’s also an aquarium nearby. If you like Chinese food, you can get good dim sum (manapua) in several restaurants in Chinatown down town. If you plan to extend your trip and like geology, go to Kona on the Big Island. Visit Volcanos National Park to see the Kilauea volcano. It’s very active right now. If you can get a 4 wheel drive, you can also see the green sand beach. On your way, stop at the Punaluu bakery for malasadas, ( a Portuguese donut popular in the Islands.) drive up to Mauna Loa or Mauna Kea. It is at a high elevation and Depending on what time of year you go, you’ll see snow up there. Take a drive to Hilo. It’s quaint and reminiscent of old Hawaii. Hapuna beach is nice but has a fee for nonresidents. Food of all types and prices can be found throughout the Islands, especially on Oahu. You can spend as much or as little as you want. Plate lunches are starchy but good. Spam is an Island favorite and can be found in various different forms. Try a spam musubi. If you like Taylor pork roll, you’ll like spam. Lots to do. Have fun.
Thanks for recommendation, I have plan to visit Hawaii soon, I have heard there are some restrictions right now. Can you confirm

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for recommendation, I have plan to visit Hawaii soon, I have heard there are some restrictions right now. Can you confirm
The only real 'restrictions' are that many of the parks (and similar locations) for which we used to just show up now require pre-planning and reservations. Ke'e Beach and Kilauea Lighthouse on Kauai, dawn at Haleakala on Maui, Hanauma Bay and Diamond Head on Oahu, etc.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
To add to some of the places you need to pre-plan. Wai'anapanapa Black Sand Beach on the Road to Hana and the Iao Valley State Monument (also referred to as the Iao Needle).

pafuson

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas EOY
Marriott Shadow ridge
San Diego is a wonderful West coast option !!!!