• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Flights that are not overnight

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not a timeshare question but I am thinking someone here will know the answer…
Is it possible to fly to the east coast US from Honolulu without flying overnight?
All I see is late day departures with arrivals the next day.
Should a look for a morning flight to the west coast and then a separate flight east?
Any clues would be greatly appreciated!

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not a timeshare question but I am thinking someone here will know the answer…
Is it possible to fly to the east coast US from Honolulu without flying overnight?
All I see is late day departures with arrivals the next day.
Should a look for a morning flight to the west coast and then a separate flight east?
Any clues would be greatly appreciated!
Well, tomorrow you could take UA 372 departing HNL at 7:00 AM arriving in SFO at 3:13 PM, connecting on UA 208 departing at 4:25PM and arriving in EWR at 12:57 AM. More of a very late-evening arrival than a completely overnight trip, so sorta-kinda possible.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Well, tomorrow you could take UA 372 departing HNL at 7:00 AM arriving in SFO at 3:13 PM, connecting on UA 208 departing at 4:25PM and arriving in EWR at 12:57 AM. More of a very late-evening arrival than a completely overnight trip, so sorta-kinda possible.
You can also fly to SFO or LAX, spend the night and leave early the next morning for the east coast. Far less wear and tear on the body and psyche. SFO has a Hyatt airport right at the airport (and it is a way nicer airport than LAX). I know one of our TUG members is doing exactly that in April.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can also fly to SFO or LAX, spend the night and leave early the next morning for the east coast. Far less wear and tear on the body and psyche. SFO has a Hyatt airport right at the airport (and it is a way nicer airport than LAX). I know one of our TUG members is doing exactly that in April.
I have done similar things myself, although I prefer not to spend extra money on hotels, travel meals, etc. if I don't have to. As to my previous post, I was answering the OP assuming they meant they wanted to travel all in one day without spending the night anywhere, whether in an airplane seat or a hotel. It's quite possible I misunderstood.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have done similar things myself, although I prefer not to spend extra money on hotels, travel meals, etc. if I don't have to. As to my previous post, I was answering the OP assuming they meant they wanted to travel all in one day without spending the night anywhere, whether in an airplane seat or a hotel. It's quite possible I misunderstood.
Yours was a good suggestion also and it did seem like the OP might want to do it in one day without an overnight. It is just to know alternatives one might not have thought about.

For me, after I have spent all the money to go on vacation, at this age, a few more $$, airline or hotel points is worth it to me, to get a decent night's sleep and a real dinner, although perfectly reasonable to want to just get home and spend the $$/points elsewhere.

Last edited:

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did hope to fly all in one day.
We want to get home and have a day to get settled before work the following day.
We have people taking care of pets for us.
I didn’t realize we would have an overnight flight- if we fo that we will need to head home a day early.

If anyone has done this in the past I would be interested in knowing where they fly to from HNL- I see LAX and SFO.
Thanks again for your experience.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
departing HNL at 7:00 AM arriving in SFO at 3:13 PM, connecting on UA 208 departing at 4:25PM and arriving in EWR at 12:57 AM, so sorta-kinda possible.
LOL. I tended toward not possible but I guess kinda-sorta. Reminds me why I never flew to HI from the east coast. Flying all the way to HI & then leaving at 7 AM is a deal-killer. More important reason: there are a bunch of very nice isles in the Caribbean, not that I've ever flown to any of them from CA.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Every year when we go to Hawaii from MSP, we stop over somewhere on the west coast and spend the night at an airport hotel. The best flight times and prices are hard to figure out because there's so many possibilities. We've stopped over in SAN, LAX, SFO, PDX, and SEA. PHX, LAX, and SLC were also possibilities. When we went this year SAN was the best deal for us. Part of the problem coming back is the 5 hour time difference (6 in the summer), so most flights are going to be overnight.

You can find more possible stopover cities by checking this web site.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
This is what we do. I like flying into SFO and SEA, never LAX. SEA has a great Marriott with a shuttle. It has a lounge for members with any status too. Lots of snacks and great breakfast. Also a great Hampton Inn.

SFO's Hyatt is really nice for an overnight stay and no need to get on a shuttle, just follow the signs to the train.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
This is what we do. I like flying into SFO and SEA, never LAX. SEA has a great Marriott with a shuttle. It has a lounge for members with any status too. Lots of snacks and great breakfast. Also a great Hampton Inn.

SFO's Hyatt is really nice for an overnight stay and no need to get on a shuttle, just follow the signs to the train.
The SFO Hyatt is great, can be a bit pricey but its super convenient.

We live in San Jose, but often stay near the airport when we have need to use SFO and have an early flight. saves leaving the house at 3 am...

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The SFO Hyatt is great, can be a bit pricey but its super convenient.

We live in San Jose, but often stay near the airport when we have need to use SFO and have an early flight. saves leaving the house at 3 am...
The SFO Hyatt is way the most convenient, but there are many, many nearby hotels that are a shuttle ride way at a variety or price points. Some allow you to leave a car there without charge for a period of time. At least that was the case years ago when we did it. Don't remember which hotel, but it allowed us to drive from home to SFO (a lovely 20 minutes for us) and leave the car for the price of an overnight at the hotel for an early flight.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The SFO Hyatt is way the most convenient, but there are many, many nearby hotels that are a shuttle ride way at a variety or price points. Some allow you to leave a car there without charge for a period of time. At least that was the case years ago when we did it. Don't remember which hotel but it allowed us to drive from home to SFO (a lovely 20 minutes for us) and leave the car for the price of an overnight at the hotel for an early flight.
20,000 Hyatt points can be transferred from Chase Sapphire Reserve. I get 3X points for my maintenance fees. $7,000 purchase gets 21,000 points, move them over to Hyatt. Transferring points is very easy. I have about 500K built up. I use them pretty liberally, too.

We each have Hyatt cards, and we get that free night each year. This year, Rick used his free night for Hyatt Regency at JFK for this May. Well, I used Rick's night for us to stay at JFK after our flight from Rome. He doesn't really book anything. It was a great use of that night.

We get better use with our Hyatt card than any other card we have.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
I can figure out many different options and permutations to get home in 2 days.
I was looking to do it in 1.
Aside from Sponger76’s after midnight in New Jersey looks like that’s not happening.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Thanks.
Aside from Sponger76’s after midnight in New Jersey looks like that’s not happening.
Yeah, the 6 hour time difference and the 11+ hours of flight time make it difficult. Most people prefer an overnight flight when it is that long, so that is why you don't see direct flights leaving Hawaii in the morning. With the total of about 17-18 hours "clock time" to get from Hawaii to East Coast, even if you left at 6am, you wouldn't arrive until about midnight.

Kurt

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
Those of us who live in the Western US experience similar time difficulties when visiting Europe. We just get used to leaving home in the evening and arriving the next day. Coming home OTOH is a piece of cake. Leave most anywhere in Europe in the morning and have dinner at home.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Every year when we go to Hawaii from MSP, we stop over somewhere on the west coast and spend the night at an airport hotel. The best flight times and prices are hard to figure out because there's so many possibilities. We've stopped over in SAN, LAX, SFO, PDX, and SEA. PHX, LAX, and SLC were also possibilities. When we went this year SAN was the best deal for us. Part of the problem coming back is the 5 hour time difference (6 in the summer), so most flights are going to be overnight.

You can find more possible stopover cities by checking this web site.

Art, the last couple of times to Hawaii we chose to hire a car down to the Harbor Island Sheraton. I pay with Bonvoy CC points (35K?). It is a nice enough hotel and has nice views of either the harbor or downtown. We usually take an early morning flight to Hawaii and or journey to the airport is 45 minutes without traffic and up to 2 plus hours with traffic.

The Sheraton has a shuttle (5 min) to the terminal every 20 or 30 minutes. I suspect that you know all about this but am posting should this info for others.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Art, the last couple of times to Hawaii we chose to hire a car down to the Harbor Island Sheraton. I pay with Bonvoy CC points (35K?). It is a nice enough hotel and has nice views of either the harbor or downtown. We usually take an early morning flight to Hawaii and or journey to the airport is 45 minutes without traffic and up to 2 plus hours with traffic.

The Sheraton has a shuttle (5 min) to the terminal every 20 or 30 minutes. I suspect that you know all about this but am posting should this info for others.
We get lots of Hilton points from paying our Hilton fees with our Hilton card. We like stopping over in San Diego and staying at the Harbor Island Hilton next to the Sheraton. We do get nice views from there. 😎

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Best bet? Las Vegas.

Plenty of LAS to Hawaii flights. Far less expensive to stay there (assuming a thimbleful of self-control). The airport is a joy compared to SFO or LAX. Loads of value-priced hotels around the convention center (if World of Concrete or SEMA is in town, stay at Sam's Town or Boulder Station instead.)

Before service from LAS to KOA started, I usually flew through OAK. Again, much better airport than SFO or LAX. I sometimes still do this in order to spend the day in SF during a purposefully long layover -- buy provisions at Molinari's, visit Toronado, grab some dim sum, etc.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Yeah, the 6 hour time difference and the 11+ hours of flight time make it difficult. Most people prefer an overnight flight when it is that long, so that is why you don't see direct flights leaving Hawaii in the morning. With the total of about 17-18 hours "clock time" to get from Hawaii to East Coast, even if you left at 6am, you wouldn't arrive until about midnight.

Kurt

The other related factor is airline operational equipment scheduling and connecting options. Many of the jets that fly people back to the mainland from Hawaii, generally have to arrive from the mainland first. Even a flight leaving the west coast at 7-8am won't arrive in Hawaii until 11am or so. Assume 60-90 minutes minimum to turn the plane, and it's hard to have an eastbound departure from Hawaii much before 1pm (unless the aircraft had spent the night in Hawaii). Even a 1pm Hawaii departure wouldn't get to the west coast until 9-10pm west coast time, meaning that flight would logically only be able to connect with an overnight red-eye flight from the west coast to the east coast.

Even if an airline were to operate a flight that arrived in Hawaii from the mainland in the late evening, and then that aircraft spent the night in Hawaii so it could depart back for the mainland in the early AM the next day, a 7am or 8am departure from Hawaii would not arrive on the west coast until 3:30pm to 4:30pm. Most flights from the west coast to east coast hubs need to arrive east by no later 10pm or so in order to feed connecting passengers to the last departures of the day. The last of those eastbound flights going from the west coast to the east coast tend to leave the west coast by no later than around 2-3pm, so they will have already departed before the inbound flight that left Hawaii at 7am arrives on the west coast, requiring an east coast-bound passenger to wait 6-7 hours for the overnight east bound red-eye flights. The one United flight that @sponger76 mentioned that leaves HNL very early at 7am and gets into SFO in time to allow a connection with a flight that arrives at EWR at 1am is probably unique because that 4:25 departure from SFO to EWR is likely designed just for EWR bound travelers since it arrives so late, probably after the last connecting departures are already gone. If you arrive EWR on that flight, EWR will be as far as you go that night.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bottom line is that if you REALLY want to be at the US Eastern zone before night, better cut your vacation short one night and leave in time to get some zzzz's on the West coast before a daylight trip across the US.