• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Float vs Fixed Unit, is one or the other better?

Beedrew

Reaction score
Thinking about this as I am reading about resales. Can someone clarify? Thank you.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Floating weeks can typically be booked for any week within the season on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Fixed weeks can come in several varieties. Some of the more common are:

fixed weeks, where your week is automatically booked for you; however your unit assigned may not always be the same

Fixed week and fixed unit (similar to above but your unit will always be the same)

Some resorts are “fixed-float” where your week is automatically booked; however, you may need to call and confirm x months in advance; otherwise you can use the week anytime within the season.

It really depends on the resort and sometimes phases within the same resort so you’ll need to ensure what you are buying aligns with what you want.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Fixed Unit (of whatever size you purchase) is same week every year. Floating Week means you are not Locked into the same week every year. It can be a 50 Week Float means you can Book a week other that certain Holidays any week of the Year. If you want to go during High Season you need to Book as far in advance as possible. The Float Period can also be restricted to a certain Season/period of time. Say Weeks 12 through 30. Or Weeks 2 through 20.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Personal preference. If you want to go to the same resort at the same time each year, then the fixed week is your friend. You can still deposit into an exchange if you wish a change. But 'floating weeks' just assure that you are entitled to a week- usually in a certain season- a year, but you have to call or go online ahead of time- sometimes up to a year to reserve those prime weeks- like Presidents, or Easter or spring break, or another floating week owner will beat you to it.

I like fixed weeks.

Bill4728

Reaction score
We have a Newport Coast CA floating spring week that we love. Generally we have no problem reserving 8-12 months in advance We can go any week between Jan and early june.

BUT Other people own the summer and fall weeks. Since most people want to vacation in July Aug and Sept those weeks are really hard to book even exactly 12 months ahead of time. So you have to check before buying.

rjwehr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside @Granby Ranch,
Landmark Holiday Beach-PCB,
Inverness @ New Braunfels
Thinking about this as I am reading about resales. Can someone clarify? Thank you.
The comments above are correct. Three out of four of the resorts we own are fixed weeks. For example, we own fixed weeks right on the beach in Panama City Beach in June and July. We like being able to count on having access in the summer without having to compete with other owners. We also have a floating week in Colorado. We have to plan ahead and call the resort a year in advance to get the ski week we want, since Spring Break is a very popular week there. However, if we wanted to ski a different week, we would have the flexibility to try to get that instead.

Generally speaking, fixed weeks give you consistency with limited flexibility and Floating weeks give you flexibility with limited consistency. Because we prefer to go to the same places repeatedly, fixed weeks work best for us. Which you should buy really depends on your situation and preference.

Best of luck to you.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fixed unit, fixed week equals absolute, guaranteed expectations every year.

Float adds some flexibility as to week to choose; some resorts allow unit selection when booking a week.

My opinion, points systems beat the pants off both, if one can plan far enough ahead, which is why I sold (gave away) my fixed week, fixed unit and floating week timeshares more than a decade ago.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I have a hybrid. It's fixed everything. Or I can call them up and convert it to points. And then spend the points however I please -- leveraging my single week for three-to-five weeks per year.

I wouldn't have any other system.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking, fixed weeks give you consistency with limited flexibility and Floating weeks give you flexibility with limited consistency.
That's a great way to put it!