• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Florida versus Hawaii versus Mexico versus South West USA for winter

Florida or Hawaii or Mexico

• Florida

Votes: 25 28.1%
  • Mexico

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • Hawaii

Votes: 37 41.6%
  • South West USA

Votes: 9 10.1%

• Total voters

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
South Carolina or Georgia.

I was born and raised in Ft Myers, Florida, and have no desire to return to Florida beyond a few days visit. However, I have been visiting friends for several days visits in the Ocala/Gainesville area over the past few years and if I had to move to Florida, I would chose that area.

ssaddlemire

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've gone to Kauai every year for the past 20 years but stopped going in the winter only because in our experience (and statistically) there is a lot of rain in the winter season. The winter weather in MX is great.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Trees? Green grass? Temperatures below 110 degrees? Enough humidity so your skin doesn't dry out? Ability to walk outside during the summer without melting?
;)

Kurt

I think I could winter in this area but we like a beach. We know alot of people with winter homes in this area.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We've gone to Kauai every year for the past 20 years but stopped going in the winter only because in our experience (and statistically) there is a lot of rain in the winter season. The winter weather in MX is great.

For me, it's the Kauai traffic that's a deal breaker.

Bill

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We stay right here at home in New Hampshire during the winter. I don't like leaving during winter months. Too many things can go wrong with the house and so forth.Same with air or car travel. I look at it as cocooning and I concentrate on getting organized, dealing with the practicals, taxes, hobbies like listening to music, reading, movies, writing, stuff like that, continue to exercise, even if it has to be indoors, and yes- embrace some outdoor activities - and then get ready for spring (cleaning) and summer, when we will have outdoor chores to do, be out and about more, a little traveling, etc.

Anyway, we live amongst a lot of snowbirds and they like Florida, Aruba, Arizona, South Carolina, St. Croix. It's also great for us because it's nice and quiet here when they all leave! A big change from the noise and craziness of the summer.

bobby

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you think Mexico is "iffy", I find it amazing that you are off to Jamaica, as it is currently the 10th most criminal country (hint: Mexico isn't in the top 10). In addition, Jamaica is #2 for murder rate!

Kurt
Staying at an inclusive club so won't be out in the general area. We went to a timeshare in another area of Jamaica about 5 years ago and only had a problem with animals taking up the roads.

heitmullerj02

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, HGVC Carlsbad
That’s just what at we tell the tourists, remember it’s a dry heat!

wrk2travelalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Solaz
Bill, There is a lot of personal viewpoint in this poll. Dollars vs. weather vs. travel effort vs. political stability.

Mexico has always been off my chart. (Personal viewpoint, born and raised in South Texas. Too much crime and corruption, dating back to before I was born. Y no se habla espanol!)
Florida. Orlando is out - too cold for my taste. (I'm a lizard. Not real happy until it's 85 F.) Coastal Florida is too expensive for what I get in timeshares.
Hawaii. Expensive and a looong hoof for me. But ever so nice. It is starting to price itself out for me as a modest retiree. (Bay Club is calling. . . calling. . .)
Southwest US. Don't like California, might try low elevation desert in Arizona. (Know any good timeshares in that area?)
I would consider Panama. I live outside of Chicago and the crime in Panama City is less than Chicago. The temps year round are good and rentals are cheaper than Florida.

wrk2travelalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Solaz
I've recently considered a trip to Costa Rica or Ecuador -- mostly because I've lost track the number of visits I've made to Hawaii and Mexic
Last year, we went to Costa Rica which is lovely. This year, we went to Colombia in Jan/Feb, then Peru and Ecuador/Galapagos in Sep/Oct. We really enjoy Colombia. Beautiful country with a lot to do, still very cheap for Americans. A nice steak dinner in Medellin costs about $35 for two including drinks and dessert. Weather is also great. We plan to go back again.
I agree Colombia is an up and coming area. The Guanacaste region of Costa Rico now has better roads and is beautiful, love Panama City and Cabo. Cabo is my second home but it is getting pricy. Use your time share time in Cabo or do Arbnb. In Cabo Some of the 5 star resorts have day passes in a wide range of prices so you can experience many different resorts. Panama is starting to focus on tourists too.

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Our house is outside Phoenix in a retirement community. We rent to Snowbirds every winter for 4-5 months and we go international for most of that time while the body still works. Last year New Zealand for 3 months, then a month road trip in the Southwest. This year, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines, and Bali, for 3 months. The long flights to SE Asia are a killer but once here it's so cheap. Then Hawaii (Maui, Big Island, and Waikiki) for a month to use our timeshares. Summer when its to hot in Phoenix we head to Europe for most of the summer.

bobby

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
A lot depends on whether you are in the west or east. For east, Hawaii is F A R. Southern Florida is an okay choice. Mexico safety iffy. Caribbean is my favorite but longer flights. Both FL and Caribbean fill up quickly in choice locations. Book a year ahead. This year I'm off to Jamaica.

A lot depends on whether you are in the west or east. For east, Hawaii is F A R. Southern Florida is an okay choice. Mexico safety iffy. Caribbean is my favorite but longer flights. Both FL and Caribbean fill up quickly in choice locations. Book a year ahead. This year I'm off to Jamaica.
https://www.layerculture.com/blog/is-jamaica-safer-than-mexico/ Highlights differences between Mexico and Jamaica. Basically each have "safe" vs. avoid areas. In my case this year, I'm going to an inclusive resort Couples Swept Away in Negril and that is listed as a safer spot. Van gets you at the airport, you are onsite the entire visit, and van back. I'm going for daily tennis and going to try out kickboxing (I'm almost 80)

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We decided on the Pompano Beach area and had reservations for a month in Jan. This was pretty much a done deal until I saw an exchange I liked better in Mexico. January trips are booked. I'm thinking we need to be gone for some of February and maybe it's Hawaii, no reservations yet. I also thought of just staying in Mexico for a few more weeks. After canceling the Pompano Beach trip I was able to get close to Disney CA in March in a couple of large units for spring break. These Disney reservations might change. They were the best I could do to keep my credits intact at the time.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our house is outside Phoenix in a retirement community. We rent to Snowbirds every winter for 4-5 months and we go international for most of that time while the body still works. Last year New Zealand for 3 months, then a month road trip in the Southwest. This year, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines, and Bali, for 3 months. The long flights to SE Asia are a killer but once here it's so cheap. Then Hawaii (Maui, Big Island, and Waikiki) for a month to use our timeshares. Summer when its to hot in Phoenix we head to Europe for most of the summer.

I really like your itineraries. How did you like SE Asia ? Where do you stay ? I was looking at the exchange companies and I do see inventory here and there but have no idea if it's in a decent place.

Bill

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I was wondering where Tuggers go in the winter. We have been breaking our winters into Hawaii and Mexico. We are thinking of changing this up. Where do you like to go and why ? Thanks
Deleted

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I live in S. TX. I stay here in winter but want to go away for the hot summer weather. Never get used to TX in Summer as a Canadian, and I've been here for 28 years.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I live in S. TX. I stay here in winter but want to go away for the hot summer weather. Never get used to TX in Summer as a Canadian, and I've been here for 28 years.

I have friends in Florida and Phoenix that live in the PNW only in the summer. They tell me once you get use to living in the warm weather it's hard to go back to the cold. I think they really like the PNW in the summer. Some of them still have a house or condo out here. Some occasionally stay with us for a couple of weeks.

So your not use to the heat after 28 years ? Are you a red head ?, lol

Bill

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have friends in Florida and Phoenix that live in the PNW only in the summer. They tell me once you get use to living in the warm weather it's hard to go back to the cold. I think they really like the PNW in the summer. Some of them still have a house or condo out here. Some occasionally stay with us for a couple of weeks.

So your not use to the heat after 28 years ? Are you a red head ?, lol

Bill
We had friends come up to NH in November from Punta Gorda ( former New Yorkers) and they loved the crisp cool
air. In their late 70’s.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
I think it all depends on your budget and the time you have. Hawaii is a great choice but the must expensive and maybe the longest to get to. SouthWest might be the cheapest outside of CA.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think it all depends on your budget and the time you have. Hawaii is a great choice but the must expensive and maybe the longest to get to. SouthWest might be the cheapest outside of CA.

Hawaii is a long flight and that is one of the reasons I like Mexico. It's a four hour flight time to Cabo or Puerto Vallarta for us. Hawaii and Florida are about six hour flights.

Bill