• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Four Seasons Scottsdale: Rentals Prohibited?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the last message i got was that it was being discussed with "resort management", will reach back out.

camelbackgirl1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club Scottsdale, AZ
The Four Seasons Residence Club Scottsdale recently communicated with owners who rent their weeks on Redweek, informing them that such rentals are prohibited. Owners were also warned that reservations previously confirmed and paid for through Redweek could be canceled. The communication specified that all rentals should be conducted exclusively through Tri-West, an officially licensed broker in Arizona and the designated broker for the Four Seasons. Has anyone else encountered a similar situation?

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's just ridiculous and totally inappropriate. I wonder if a tugger boycott of Tri-West would make a difference.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
This is ridiculous. I did not get the email. I have been depositing the weeks in to ThirdHome. This policy will further reduce resale value. I am clueless as to why FSA and Tri-West want to decrease resale value. It is already has virtually no resale value but this will make it harder to sell. Tri-west has a gazzilion sales listing so it is disappointing and infuriating that they would pressure FSA into this policy.

steve1000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin: Mission Hills, Desert Willow, Riverfront Mtn Villas, Kierland, Flex
Marriott: Grande Ocean, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs
Hyatt: Beach House, Coconut Plantation, High Sierra Lodge,
Four Seasons: Aviara, Scottsdale.
Royal Haciendas
I own at both Four Seasons Aviara and Four Seasons Scottsdale. I believe the restriction that rentals must go through Tri-West is only applicable to the Scottsdale property (not Aviara). It strikes me as being an unreasonable restraint that would be unenforceable if challenged but I don't know.

phillyflyer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aviara
Agree that this doesn't make any sense. Aviara you fill out a Guest Authorization form and they now charge $40 a night for non owner occupied. Scottsdale should have the same policy as helps increase revenues.

Lskip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any updates on this? Also, how would they enforce it? Could one not rent it privately and refer to them as their guest? Not saying they should have to but I wonder if there is anything they can do about it.

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was reading through this and it got a little sidetracked into taxes. As the OP tried to clarify, the response he got from the resort has nothing to do with resort fees or taxes. Someone has some affinity to a realtor at Tri-West and is using their position to enrich Tri-West. "Protection for the owner" is a made up reason. @echino how was this resolved?

Forming an alliance with a brokerage company or other real estate company and compelling owners to use them at the owners expense is similar to the recent settlement that the NAR had to make in court.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Not resolved. Four Seasons canceled the guest certificate and forced me to go via TRI West and pay their commission to let my guest check in.

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not resolved. Four Seasons canceled the guest certificate and forced me to go via TRI West and pay their commission to let my guest check in.
I don't own there but I don't like it. I see no reason why you are being forced to use Tri-West other than someone is getting a cut. Someone just started a thread to boycott Tri-West. I wish there was something else that can be done directly with the management company without the expense of suing them. But if you want to go Pro Se, I would volunteer to use my non-lawyer research skills to help.
For those who own at other Scottsdale locations, watch out! You might be next

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
What was their % take on the transaction? Perhaps they gave you a discount since you were coming to them with a renter already in hand?

Larnaka

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pino Kai
I own a week at Four Seasons Scottsdale, purchased resale last year. I rented out my 2023 week for the first time. I have a direct agreement with the guest, money received, non-refundable, guest name changed. My guest called Four Seasons to confirm the reservation and told them they rented it from me.

I just got a call from Four Seasons saying they will cancel the guest certificate because renting is only allowed via their preferred broker, TRI West. They told me renting not via TRI west is prohibited!

What? Anyone heard anything like that? Any advice?
Hello.
I love Four Seasons timeshares in Aviara and Scottsdale and the recent situation with the exclusivity by Triwest picked my interest some months ago. I believe it is unlawfull (what you have described). Your ownership, however fractional it may be (in your case it is likely 1/52, unless you own more than one interval) is still an ownership. Unless you signed any specific exclusion at the time of purchase or thereafter, which would allow your timeshare resort to subvert their fiduciary duty, thus allowing themselves to deprive you of your right to have a guest (which is what renting out is as far as your resort is concerned), I would encourage you to file a formal complaint against your Four Seasons and take legal actions to restore your lawful rights under your contract or deed with them.
Triwest is extremely unntansparent on their site and in their dealings. And while (IF for whatever reason) your resort may prefer Triwest as a third part rental broker, it may not be at the expense of Four Seasons' obligations to their timeshare owners (which inherently provides for the right to allow the usage of your interval by a guest).
I hope this helps.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Hello.
I love Four Seasons timeshares in Aviara and Scottsdale and the recent situation with the exclusivity by Triwest picked my interest some months ago. I believe it is unlawfull (what you have described). Your ownership, however fractional it may be (in your case it is likely 1/52, unless you own more than one interval) is still an ownership. Unless you signed any specific exclusion at the time of purchase or thereafter, which would allow your timeshare resort to subvert their fiduciary duty, thus allowing themselves to deprive you of your right to have a guest (which is what renting out is as far as your resort is concerned), I would encourage you to file a formal complaint against your Four Seasons and take legal actions to restore your lawful rights under your contract or deed with them.
Triwest is extremely unntansparent on their site and in their dealings. And while (IF for whatever reason) your resort may prefer Triwest as a third part rental broker, it may not be at the expense of Four Seasons' obligations to their timeshare owners (which inherently provides for the right to allow the usage of your interval by a guest).
I hope this helps.
One doesn't necessarily have to sign an exclusive agreement. We don't know what is in the underlying CC&R documents spell out in terms of this agreement. I don't see where they have been posted to this thread for us to peruse. Those could contain exclusive rental provisions that you basically agree to by being an owner.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
If you purchase at Four Seasons Costa Rica, they do not allow you to rent out your unit at all. So not sure why going through an exclusive rental agent would be worse or unlawful. I am not saying I agree with these policies. It was the deal breaker for me not purchasing FSCR. I own at FSA and knowing what I know now, I would not have purchased there. I might be selling but not just because of this issue. BTW, all this negativity about Four Seasons might be hurting us owners more than anyone else. Who would want to purchase at Four Seasons with all of this negativity on TUG?

StaceyM

TUG Member
Reaction score
This may be stupid, but I think I've been paying $10 a month for Pre-paid Legal Services for years, and it's stuff like this where I love having them. They will review X pages of documents give you a legal opinion, and they will write an attorney letter or demand letter on your behalf. I don't even know how to refer anyone to them or I would give you a link. It's amazing how people respond when they get a letter from a real attorney.

I think forcing someone to use a specific broker is probably illegal if it's not specified in the contract you signed. At a minimum, you should have been able to use any licensed broker in Arizona, considering that is what the contract specifies. (I'm assuming there's not any language in any place that requires you to go through the Association in order to rent your week?)

I would think a demand letter asking for reimbursement of the commission you paid (i.e. damages) (from the management that forced you to use them) is appropriate. I don't know if you have any basis to re-claim commission from the broker since you "voluntarily" engaged their services, but you could definitely reach out to the Arizona Department of Real Estate and perhaps inquire or file a complaint. You could also figure out if small claims court is an option; you might have to file in Arizona or wherever the management company is located.

"A. For each timeshare plan and timeshare property in this state, the developer shall provide in the timeshare instrument for a managing entity. The managing entity may be the developer, a separate manager or management firm or an association. There may be different managing entities for the timeshare plan and the timeshare property or for portions of the timeshare property. This section applies to a managing entity only to the extent of its authority to manage the timeshare plan or timeshare property under the timeshare instrument.
B. The managing entity shall act in the capacity of a fiduciary to the owners of timeshare interests in the timeshare plan.
C. The association or other managing entity may enter into a contract with a manager or management firm to provide some or all of the management services to the timeshare plan or timeshare property, but the manager or management firm shall not be considered the managing entity of the timeshare plan or timeshare property."

For what it's worth, fiduciary is a pretty high legal standard... they have to put your interests above their own.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on my memory, the interpretation is that AZ now wants to collect taxes on short-term rentals, including timeshare. Four Seasons Scottsdale has designated Tri-West as their rental company to ensure compliance.

StaceyM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on my memory, the interpretation is that AZ now wants to collect taxes on short-term rentals, including timeshare. Four Seasons Scottsdale has designated Tri-West as their rental company to ensure compliance.
LOL. (Not at you, at the convenient "solution") Seems like it would be easier to charge the tax on anyone who has a guest certificate unless the owner signs a form (they could even require a notarized form) that says no rental money or consideration was exchanged.

There is definitely a way to comply with this without forcing owners to pay a % commission that is likely higher than the tax itself.

In any case, the owners should have been notified.

Last edited:

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
There have been a series of hearings on the taxing of short term rentals in Scottsdale in the last 2 months
I no longer have an interest in these hearings and have not followed the hearings
Has anyone else paid attention to these hearings

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
People keep bringing up taxes in this discussion. They may use taxes as an excuse but this has nothing to do with taxes.

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to the city website, here are the requirements for renting.

I never said the law didn't exist. I said the law was being used as an excuse. Here is a tip, when someone forces you to use the services of a third party entity and that entity is allowed to charge a fee at a level of their choice, you have to ask yourself what gives. This arrangement forces any owner who wants to rent to incur expenses over and above the required taxes and registration requirements and all this benefits Tri-West and whoever in the resort's management that is collecting the kick back.
No need to go into the details because it is not relevant. The management company is saying we are going to stick it to you and you can't do anything about it.
Tri-West can be the agency to manage any HOA rental. When an individual owner is renting, that is a whole different story. Unless there was an agreement that the owner signed during the purchase or was approved during a HOA meeting, this will not pass the smell test.

Last edited:

mjkkb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
A question for the OP - Is the HOA governing docs snipit included earlier a current language? Is it possible there was an amendment that was voted on by the HOA directors that change this language dealing with private rentals? That seems to be the most likely scenario to explain this. Otherwise seems like complete overreach of management company to control the rights of owners.