• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

France! Next up looking for lodging in Bayeux and Giverny

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Continuing our Flower Tour, we're detouring to see WWII sites along the Normandy coast. Did you know June 6th will mark the 80th anniversary of D-Day? Both our fathers served in WWII so to honor them and all who fought and served, we're headed to see the sites. We're planning on staying in Bayeux for 2 nights and then taking the train to Vernon and touring Giverny and staying in the town or maybe Vernon for another 2 nights before we head to London. Have any of you spent an overnight in either area? Recommendations for lodging, food, charming things to see and do, etc? Thanks in advance!

brentw52

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Continuing our Flower Tour, we're detouring to see WWII sites along the Normandy coast. Did you know June 6th will mark the 80th anniversary of D-Day? Both our fathers served in WWII so to honor them and all who fought and served, we're headed to see the sites. We're planning on staying in Bayeux for 2 nights and then taking the train to Vernon and touring Giverny and staying in the town or maybe Vernon for another 2 nights before we head to London. Have any of you spent an overnight in either area? Recommendations for lodging, food, charming things to see and do, etc? Thanks in advance!
You will love both places. Been a number of years since Bayeux but we really enjoyed it. My wife wanted to see the famous tapestry there and I ended up finding it very interesting as well. There is a war memorial museum in Caan that was really well done . Giverny is a magical place for Monet lovers .

brentw52

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Restaurant Auberge St Germain du Crioult is a really nice little place for lunch or dinner in Bayeux. They have rooms as well but we didn’t stay there so not sure what they are like.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I am just going to follow along, I am loving this trip

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will love both places. Been a number of years since Bayeux but we really enjoyed it. My wife wanted to see the famous tapestry there and I ended up finding it very interesting as well. There is a war memorial museum in Caan that was really well done . Giverny is a magical place for Monet lovers .
Sadly I think the tapestry will be in London but I might see it there.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We did Bayeux and Honfleur, and then went on to Mont St. Michel to stay overnight. MSM was magical! Couldn’t tell you where we stayed (the timeshare in Conelles made the reservation for us), but there are any number of restaurants, with lodgings above, as you make the trek up to the entrance. Most were nestled into the island’s fortified walls and allowed access to walking along the parapets. We were there long enough ago that you still had to time accessibility to the tides. A bridge was built about ten years ago.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Restaurant Auberge St Germain du Crioult is a really nice little place for lunch or dinner in Bayeux. They have rooms as well but we didn’t stay there so not sure what they are like.
Brent I appreciate the suggestion.
We did Bayeux and Honfleur, and then went on to Mont St. Michel to stay overnight. MSM was magical! Couldn’t tell you where we stayed (the timeshare in Conelles made the reservation for us), but there are any number of restaurants, with lodgings above, as you make the trek up to the entrance. Most were nestled into the island’s fortified walls and allowed access to walking along the parapets. We were there long enough ago that you still had to time accessibility to the tides. A bridge was built about ten years ago.
We are skipping Mont St. Michel due to time. Maybe I'll rethink it. Hubby said we don't have time and I've made most of the other must-see decisions so I may have to let this go.😒

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Brent I appreciate the suggestion.

We are skipping Mont St. Michel due to time. Maybe I'll rethink it. Hubby said we don't have time and I've made most of the other must-see decisions so I may have to let this go.😒
Well, with the actual tapestry being in London, what else is there to do in Bayeux? (Asking; I don’t know). Funny story : Rick Steves said there was a faux tapestry to look at while standing in the long lines to see the original. I thought we were following the story on the fake until we got to the end. And then it was “Heck, was that the real one?!” We were there on a light day and I was so glad we took our time with the “fake”. BTW, I’m guessing that’s what folks will be looking at while the real one is “on tour”.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Check out Rick Steves France travel forum.
Booking.com is a good source for lodging, but when you find an option that appeals to you, google for the direct website- not only to maybe save $ but to save the owner the commission to Booking.com.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I was there last summer on a group tour. Yes! Well aware of the 60th anniversary. We stayed 2 nights at the Novotel Bayeux, 117 Rue de Saint Patrice. PH: 011-33-2-31-92-1611. I really liked it!

We saw the tapestry as soon as we arrived in town from Mont St. Michel which is maybe in the top 3 of attractions in France. I can't imagine that the tapestry is being moved. There was no line and I really enjoyed the museum and history. My son told me he & his brother are related to William the Conqueror. i enjoyed learning more about St. Edward the Confessor.

I am pretty sure Novotel is a chain. The staff were terrific, very welcoming. There's a small bar as you walk in the door and large dining. We had a group dinner the first night which was delicious. The breakfast buffet is fabulous. They feature some local dishes and lots of American coffee which I liked, or I should say, large cups. The second night, some in our group walked into town to see the light show on the Cathedral and to eat. Others walked to local grocery stores for picnic supplies. We had a picnic by the pool. The pool was wonderful and no one said anything about our food and bottles of wine. I can't tell you anything about the room which was probably nothing special.

Later in our trip when we were staying in Paris, a group of us took a bus to Giverny. I was thrilled to be there and felt like I was standing in one of Monet's paintings.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was there last summer on a group tour. Yes! Well aware of the 60th anniversary. We stayed 2 nights at the Novotel Bayeux, 117 Rue de Saint Patrice. PH: 011-33-2-31-92-1611. I really liked it!

We saw the tapestry as soon as we arrived in town from Mont St. Michel which is maybe in the top 3 of attractions in France. I can't imagine that the tapestry is being moved. There was no line and I really enjoyed the museum and history. My son told me he & his brother are related to William the Conqueror. i enjoyed learning more about St. Edward the Confessor.

I am pretty sure Novotel is a chain. The staff were terrific, very welcoming. There's a small bar as you walk in the door and large dining. We had a group dinner the first night which was delicious. The breakfast buffet is fabulous. They feature some local dishes and lots of American coffee which I liked, or I should say, large cups. The second night, some in our group walked into town to see the light show on the Cathedral and to eat. Others walked to local grocery stores for picnic supplies. We had a picnic by the pool. The pool was wonderful and no one said anything about our food and bottles of wine. I can't tell you anything about the room which was probably nothing special.

Later in our trip when we were staying in Paris, a group of us took a bus to Giverny. I was thrilled to be there and felt like I was standing in one of Monet's paintings.
This is very helpful. We want to do the WWII beaches, memorials and perhaps a museum. Should we make the effort to see Mont Michel? We'll probably never be this far north west in France again.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check out Rick Steves France travel forum.
Booking.com is a good source for lodging, but when you find an option that appeals to you, google for the direct website- not only to maybe save $ but to save the owner the commission to Booking.com.
I always book directly through the hotel for those exact reasons. ;-)

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, with the actual tapestry being in London, what else is there to do in Bayeux? (Asking; I don’t know). Funny story : Rick Steves said there was a faux tapestry to look at while standing in the long lines to see the original. I thought we were following the story on the fake until we got to the end. And then it was “Heck, was that the real one?!” We were there on a light day and I was so glad we took our time with the “fake”. BTW, I’m guessing that’s what folks will be looking at while the real one is “on tour”.
The WWII D-Day historic sites.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
In Honfleur we stayed right in the historic center at l’Hotel le Dauphin les Loges. No AC, but even with daytime temps over 100 we didn’t need it - they provided fans and it cooled off enough in the evening. Le Breard was one of our favorite meals in France. Try to be here for one of the market days surrounding the very unique wooden church.

In Bayeux we stayed at Le Lion D’Or - very nice rooms, and a sumptuous breakfast. Big for a French hotel, so not the most personable. But parking is available, another plus.

The tapestry and associated recording is wonderful. It helps to know a bit of backdrop about the history of war between England and France through the Hundred Years’ War and beyond but obviously not necessary.

We did not have time for the Bayeux cathedral.

We spent a full day at the D Day beaches. I have been several times, and it never fails to move. This time we went to Ste-Mère-Église and especially liked the Airborne museum. The Utah Landing Beach museum is powerful. If you’re not aware there are like dozens of musems from Caen to the beaches. You’ll have to pick just a couple. Make sure to leave time for the cemeteries and Overlord Museum itself, a bit of American territory on French soil.

I think it’s a mistake to skip Mont St Michel. It’s one of my favorite places in the world. Read a bit about Medieval Europe, the pilgrimmage industry, and the contested history of the place between Brittany and Normandie. Then wander up the winding streets, and imagine the millions of pilgrims and tourists before you who have wandered the same streets, seeking salvation, safe haven, or just a beautiful view. Then tour the abbey on top. It’s beyond spectacular.

Last edited:

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, to be so close to Mont San Michel and not go there…well, please reconsider! It’s a very wonderful, richly historical fairytale like place! If you could do one overnight there, I would most HIGHLY recommend it. And if possible, stay on the island. You won’t get luxury accommodations, but you can be there after the tourists have left, and walk the ramparts, have it all to yourself. Do some research on the history…it’s amazing! And you will be right there…do not miss! we Lived in Paris, and have been all over…including Giverney, which we loved..but Mont San Michel is on another level!

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what I love about Tuggers. Your honesty! Thanks Lakeshore and letsgobobby, we're going to reconfigure and see how to work in Mont St. Michel! XXOO

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
This is very helpful. We want to do the WWII beaches, memorials and perhaps a museum. Should we make the effort to see Mont Michel? We'll probably never be this far north west in France again.
Well, regarding Mont St Michel, I'd maybe wait and see. Check on the weather. Maybe if it's super hot, skip it. It was one of the stops that made me take the group tour. There and the cathedral at Chartres. I heard the street scenes for Harry Potter were filmed at MSM. I loved the medieval hike up to the Abbey. I LOVED the Abbey. It's a place I always wanted to go. Both likely from books I'd read - Pillars of the Earth and Alexander Dumas. Giverny was an unplanned bonus.

On the other hand, if you are not into that sort of thing, maybe skip it. It was the most crowded place we went, and I do mean crowded. We stayed 2 nights in St. Malo and that was really nice! I'd definitely go back there. MSM was a day trip and that was plenty. Hike up to the Abbey, enjoy the recorded tour, take hundreds of photos and have a relaxing lunch.

We toured a WWII museum at Arromanches-les-Bains. The museum was very good! We walked on the beach there. Then we went to Omaha Beach and the American Cemetery at St. Laurent-sur-Mer. We walked through the British Cemetery in Bayeux and a small German one. The American cemetery was very moving because of its size and having learned more at the museum.

There is so much to see and experience in Northern France (some of my people are from Brittany). Be sure and make time to relax and enjoy yourself like we did in St. Malo.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This entire conversation reminds me of when we took our granddaughter, then 12 yrs old, to Paris, Normandy, and the Loire Valley (she's now 21, eek!)

Mont St Michel was both the best and worst stop we ever made. DGD, being 12, had been trying to ditch her grandparents wherever possible. At MSM she succeeded. We were in an utter panic for almost an hour, while she was lost in the crowds. That was the only time I ever yelled at her - I was an emotional wreck! Still, once we got her back, I have to say that MSM is a not-to-be-missed location. Truly a world heritage site!

A couple of recommendations for the Normandy area - remember, this info is 9 years old. For lodging right off the Normandy beaches, we really enjoyed La Sapiniere Hotel. Not fancy, but a very nice beachfront location right off Omaha Beach. And they have family rooms - ours had the main bed downstairs, and a bed in the loft for DGD. We really enjoyed it. https://www.la-sapiniere.fr/index.php?langue=en

And for D-Day tours, I highly recommend https://www.overlordtour.com/ When even a 12 year old girl raves about the tour, you know they did something right (though I think she had a small crush on the guide :giggle: )

Last edited:

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
In Honfleur we stayed right in the historic center at l’Hotel le Dauphin les Loges. No AC, but even with daytime temps over 100 we didn’t need it - they provided fans and it cooled off enough in the evening. Le Breard was one of our favorite meals in France. Try to be here for one of the market days surrounding the very unique wooden church.

In Bayeux we stayed at Le Lion D’Or - very nice rooms, and a sumptuous breakfast. Big for a French hotel, so not the most personable. But parking is available, another plus.

The tapestry and associated recording is wonderful. It helps to know a bit of backdrop about the history of war between England and France through the Hundred Years’ War and beyond but obviously not necessary.

We did not have time for the Bayeux cathedral.

We spent a full day at the D Day beaches. I have been several times, and it never fails to move. This time we went to Ste-Mère-Église and especially liked the Airborne museum. The Utah Landing Beach museum is powerful. If you’re not aware there are like dozens of musems from Caen to the beaches. You’ll have to pick just a couple. Make sure to leave time for the cemeteries and Overlord Museum itself, a bit of American territory on French soil.

I think it’s a mistake to skip Mont St Michel. It’s one of my favorite places in the world. Read a bit about Medieval Europe, the pilgrimmage industry, and the contested history of the place between Brittany and Normandie. Then wander up the winding streets, and imagine the millions of pilgrims and tourists before you who have wandered the same streets, seeking salvation, safe haven, or just a beautiful view. Then tour the abbey on top. It’s beyond spectacular.
Loved Mont St Michel as well...just watching the tide was incredible in itself. Don't miss it !! Giverney also a must..smal town but the Monet house and grounds are beautiful!!! We did a day trip there..didn't stay overnight.

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Giverny is indeed a magical site. Just loved seeing Monet's gardens and house. But it's not an overnight stop, IMHO. It's worth 2-3 hours.
I agree….stay a night on Mont San Michel instead of a night in Giverney. Giverney is a beautiful morning or afternoon. My boys brought their watercolors and painted for hours at Monet’s home, gardens, and the iconic pond with bridge, and it was still just the afternoon. It was in September so not many crowds and beautiful weather.

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
The time we stayed on Mont San Michel we stayed at La Mere Poulard. It was soooo worth it! They have a nice bar upstairs for late night drinks and a pianist….it was wonderful after a night all by ourselves walking the ramparts and streets after the crowds have left.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
The time we stayed on Mont San Michel we stayed at La Mere Poulard. It was soooo worth it! They have a nice bar upstairs for late night drinks and a pianist….it was wonderful after a night all by ourselves walking the ramparts and streets after the crowds have left.
Is it spooky at night?