• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Global entry renewal

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
GE won't help with entry into Canada, Nexus is for that. When returning by land to the USA, you can use your GE card for expedited processing. There will be a lane at the border crossing for it. Likely marked as Nexus/GE.
Being able to use it when re-entering the US makes me happy! Usually, the Canadian border agents are pleasant and welcoming, but those from my home country are not, especially when crossing back from Niagara Falls, no matter what bridge we use!

For our t/s stay north of Montreal this summer, we will be crossing over the border near Ogdensburg but returning to the US it will be via I-89 or I-87.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
WooHoo!! I just received email today, Apr 18 2023, that my GE renewal was approved. No interview necessary, though as pointed out above, there was no way to know that in advance. A mere 10 months after requesting and paying for a renewal. Ain't guvmnt great?
Just to bring closure to my saga. My new GE card showed up in the mail today. :whooopie:

beejaybeeohio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our fellow Ohio travelers to Europe this summer have applied for GE. One couple had their interview in FL, where they stay in winter, another couple is scheduled later this month in Detroit, the soonest, closest appointment they could snag and the third just completed their online application last evening, so we will see if they can be interviewed by early August, anywhere within a 3-hour drive!

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
Our fellow Ohio travelers to Europe this summer have applied for GE. One couple had their interview in FL, where they stay in winter, another couple is scheduled later this month in Detroit, the soonest, closest appointment they could snag and the third just completed their online application last evening, so we will see if they can be interviewed by early August, anywhere within a 3-hour drive!
We did ours early this year, appointments came up in various places daily, make sure they check 3-4 times a day, every day. I ended up being able to do everyone five minutes from our house rather than driving to Chicago. (I initially had Chicago appts and was able to reschedule them to the better office)

beejaybeeohio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Update on our friends' quest for GE!
Their approval to be interviewed/fingerprinted arrived yesterday. They could have gotten appointments in Detroit for later this month when randomly looking pre-approval. When the time came to actually reserve appointment slots, my friend found availability at our airport location! Exactly 2 months from yesterday on- of all days- the FOURTH of JULY.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Update to my Update!
My friend received a call this morning from Customs/Border Patrol near us. Appointments for July 4th were due to an error on their part.
To make things right for all those booked for Independence Day, the agency will squeeze them in within the next few weeks. All they have to do is call the day before they wish to come in! So they are planning for next Wednesday 5/10! Meanwhile our other friends don't trek to Detroit until later this month.

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
I quickly looked at this thread. I applied in late November, so I am at the five month point. Do I need to keep logging in, or when you are approved did you get an email?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I quickly looked at this thread. I applied in late November, so I am at the five month point. Do I need to keep logging in, or when you are approved did you get an email?
You should get an email. But it never hurts to login and check. You never know if the email goes to junk somehow.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
My GE was due to expire last month. In November 2022 I submitted and paid the application to renew it. Every couple of months I'd check on the status. They kept saying in was in progress, they were backed up, and I would continue to get TSA Pre if they didn't process my application before expiration. I forgot all about it.

Then today, 13 months later, I got the good news that my renewal has been approved. :whooopie: The Known Traveler Number stayed the same.

It was a reminder to submit DW's renewal since hers expires in July. Unfortunately, I canceled the Chase Sapphire card that reimbursed the $100 fee. The TSA website does show which cards will reimburse.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
I read online that after the application is changed to conditional approval, some people can have an interview at the global entry office at the airport after they land from an international trip. I would like to know more about "Enrollment on arrival" at SFO airport if anyone here has done that step.
I hadn't seen this thread and just posted a question in the Vacation Travel Information about this very question (which I see no one answered on this thread).

Has anyone done Enrollment on Arrival at SFO (or really any of the other 62 airports that offer it)? Flying in from Mexico in January and would love to do it then and cancel my February interview (and trip to SFO just for that) if not too much of a hassle.

alexb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Craigendarroch Scotland,Marriott Grande Chateau,pga golf village
my daughter did it in tampa last christmas we are from uk took 10min max to get approved.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Side question: We're taking a three-week trip next Summer to Europe. Is Global Entry convenient enough to get for a single trip? I know the logical answer, but since we've never flown internationally, we're curious. Also, we have TSA Pre-Check. Is there any way that comes into play to our advantage on a trip like this, or do we just need to be content to take things as they come, and deal with it?

Dave

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Side question: We're taking a three-week trip next Summer to Europe. Is Global Entry convenient enough to get for a single trip?
It is for us at SFO. Rather than going through the immigration line (which can be looong) there is a bank of kiosks off to the side and it takes literally less than a mimute to scan your passport and be on your way to baggage. It is $100 for 5 years, includes pre-check and the cost is covered by some of the "uber", i.e. expensive, credit cards.

If you don't do a lot of international traveling it may not be worth it and would also depend on your airport. SFO is a major player in international flights and immigration is always packed.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It is for us at SFO. Rather than going through the immigration line (which can be looong) there is a bank of kiosks off to the side and it takes literally less than a mimute to scan your passport and be on your way to baggage. It is $100 for 5 years, includes pre-check and the cost is covered by some of the "uber", i.e. expensive, credit cards.

If you don't do a lot of international traveling it may not be worth it and would also depend on your airport. SFO is a major player in international flights and immigration is always packed.

This trip (so far) is a one-off. We're flying out of Las Vegas, and already have TSA Pre-Check. So not sure if it's worth a $200 investment. ??

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Side question: We're taking a three-week trip next Summer to Europe. Is Global Entry convenient enough to get for a single trip? I know the logical answer, but since we've never flown internationally, we're curious. Also, we have TSA Pre-Check. Is there any way that comes into play to our advantage on a trip like this, or do we just need to be content to take things as they come, and deal with it?

Dave
If you already have TSA Pre-Check, it's probably not worth it. When it comes times to renew TSA Pre-Check, you might consider it.

alexb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Craigendarroch Scotland,Marriott Grande Chateau,pga golf village
as far as i am aware no global entry in europe

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's only good when you're returning to the US. TSA Pre-Check is only good for flights leaving from a US airport.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
There is global entry preclearance in Dublin and Shannon airports. We used it at the dublin airport when flying to sfo.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
No. It is for re-entry into the US. And I agree with @artringwald; probably not worth it for a one-off trip. There is a real process also involving an interview.

Before we moved to Nevada we had NEXUS up in Washington State, a fantastic program that made for easy travel across the Border in and out of Canada. It included TSA Pre-Check and also Global Entry. Heck of a deal, for something like $75 for five years. But when we moved down here to Nevada and NEXUS came up for renewal, we decided we weren't using it enough to go though the renewal process, which required another interview at the Canadian Border. We opted to let it expire. We got TSA Pre-Check locally, and at the time, hadn't considered needing Global Entry. And NOW, as they say, times have changed... :D

Dave

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Before we moved to Nevada we had NEXUS up in Washington State, a fantastic program that made for easy travel across the Border in and out of Canada. It included TSA Pre-Check and also Global Entry. Heck of a deal, for something like $75 for five years. But when we moved down here to Nevada and NEXUS came up for renewal, we decided we weren't using it enough to go though the renewal process, which required another interview at the Canadian Border. We opted to let it expire. We got TSA Pre-Check locally, and at the time, hadn't considered needing Global Entry. And NOW, as they say, times have changed... :D

Dave
We had a similar experience thinking about NEXUS. It seemed appealing, but then we realized we actually don't get to Canada enough to make it worth the process, interview etc.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
When we were considering getting TSA Precheck some wise friend told me to get Global Entry instead. At just $15 more for the 5 years it was a good deal. And right after we got it our daughter started school in Canada. It made coming back into the U.S. so much easier. I have only traveled internationally a few times since then but have kept Global Entry. And now with one of my credit cards covering the cost it's definitely worth it.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It reminds me of when we flew back from London into Las Vegas, I proudly tried to use my global entry and the agent laughed at me, but not in a bad way. He said that LV airport is not one of the airports that is set up to use Global Entry. He said only the larger airports have Global Entry scanners.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It reminds me of when we flew back from London into Las Vegas, I proudly tried to use my global entry and the agent laughed at me, not in a bad way. He said that LV airport is not one of the airports that is set up to use Global Entry. He said only the larger airports have Global Entry scanners.

Well, there's my answer. That's how we're flying. Thanks!

Dave