• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Golf on Big Island?

geohans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Want to get some golfing in while I'm on the Big Island from Jan 21st to 28th. I'd prefer not to spend over $100 per round. Any tips on getting reduced green fees or which courses are less expensive? BTW, I just enjoy golfing, I'm not that good at it!

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are staying at a Resort that has a golf course, they can probably get you a reduced rate. I would call the resort that you plan to stay at and they might have connections with a golf course even if they are not on a golf course. The Hilton has about three courses in Waikoloa, so if you can stay there, it would help. However, I don't know about the fees. It was less than $100 when I was there five years ago.

matbec

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi. If you're staying in the Kona area, you might want to check on the rates at Kona Country Club. When we were there this past summer, DH picked up some coupons from those airport magazines (the ones that look like vertical half-folds of standard-sized magazines) that tell you about shopping and activities on the various islands. Each coupon was for $35 off the greens fees, and while he picked up several of the magazines at the Honolulu airport, I'm thinking that you should be able to find them at the Kona airport too (?). With the coupons, he played the mountain course for $105 and the ocean course for $115, but with a same-day re-play rate of $35, he ended up playing two rounds for an average of $70 -75 each round.

You might also want to check whether or not your resort has any kind of deal going with any of the local courses.

Hope that helps.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure about cost, but traveler's we met, who are golfers, really like the Waikaloa course by Paniolo Greens and I know there is a special rate if you are staying there.
Liz

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure about cost, but traveler's we met, who are golfers, really like the Waikaloa course by Paniolo Greens and I know there is a special rate if you are staying there.
Liz

Like Liz said, I'd recommend you check this one out.

lolibeachgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was on BI with the ex in 2004, we got a coupon sheet from Hilo Hattie that had some discounts for some golf courses on it. Not sure if they still give those out though-I think we got it when we bought our stuff at the cash register. I'm pretty sure there was one for the Waikoloa courses (we played the Beach course and loved it). With the discount, I think it was just over $100, but was well worth it, as there are quite a few holes that you look over the ocean.

If you are staying at Paniolo Greens, ask if they have any affiliations with the golf course they are on. We stayed there, but didn't play that course.

Also, buy "The Big Island Revealed" blue guide book, they would have extensive tips on the golf courses and prices.

Are you taking your clubs or renting? I've done both, and speaking as a golfer from the East Coast, it's well worth the rental fee at the golf course to not have to lug those clubs around. I rented a set of Pings that I eventually bought at 1/2 retail price on E-bay. It was great to have tried them out and known I would love them before buying them!