• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii car rentals are going wild again

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
When we had our Rental on Kaua'i in February we got a call from the Rental Company that they had received a Safety Recall from the Manufacture. That asked us to come by that day to Trade. They told us not to worry about how much gas it had. When we got to the Car Rental Business they told us to go out to the SUV Line and take which ever one we wanted and not to worry about the gas when we returned it.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We're renting with Avis on Maui. The second day we had the car the "oil needs to be changed soon" light came on. After conferring with Avis on the phone we drove back to the airport to exchange it. We happened to get the manager who made the exchange. He upgraded the vehicle and also wrote a note on the contract that we do not have to return the car with a full tank.

We rented from Avis (first time) and gas tank was only 1/16th full. Upon return I told them this and they said it was not a problem.
Downside was we returned the car with more gas than when we left.

It was crazy at the rental center - the Budget line was hours long - and lines for the Express folks. We got our car quickly and on our way.
Luckily I notice the low fuel and got gas by the Aquarium - we would have not made it to West Maui.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
I just reserved car on Kona airport 4/21 for 20$ less per day than what they were quoting last week. Hopefully price will go down one more time.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I just reserved car on Kona airport 4/21 for 20$ less per day than what they were quoting last week. Hopefully price will go down one more time.

As an interested local, what are they quoting these days? I don't hear neighbors gushing about Truro (AirBnB for cars). So I'm assuming that the amateur car rental gravy train is done or nearly done.

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
As an interested local, what are they quoting these days? I don't hear neighbors gushing about Truro (AirBnB for cars). So I'm assuming that the amateur car rental gravy train is done or nearly done.
$60/day compact. We are renting just for four days to explore the island. Are you open for visitors?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We rented from Avis (first time) and gas tank was only 1/16th full. Upon return I told them this and they said it was not a problem.
Downside was we returned the car with more gas than when we left.

It was crazy at the rental center - the Budget line was hours long - and lines for the Express folks. We got our car quickly and on our way.
Luckily I notice the low fuel and got gas by the Aquarium - we would have not made it to West Maui.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's crazy. Rick would not be happy paying for gas before our trip even starts.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Budget car rental timeshare customers complaining all over - we had a 4 hour wait at Hilton Head Island...I will rethink using Costco or a third party car rental site again as the counter folks don't seem to care unless you are one of "their" customers.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Budget car rental timeshare customers complaining all over - we had a 4 hour wait at Hilton Head Island...I will rethink using Costco or a third party car rental site again as the counter folks don't seem to care unless you are one of "their" customers.
With Budget, we add our FastBreak number to our Costco confirmations, which makes it easier to get our car. They bill the credit card on file but we get the Costco discount.

RCI is far and away better for renting cars, for whatever reason. But that doesn't mean you won't wait to get the car.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
It doesn't cost anything to join car rental loyalty companies. When I rent from third parties, I always log in with my loyalty number and match the confirmation number to my account. Of course, they don't always have a separate line for their loyalty members.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
$60/day compact. We are renting just for four days to explore the island. Are you open for visitors?

Not really. This place is still a hot mess. But if you want to drop by and grab an armload of avocados/lemons and take some pictures of the bay, that's fine. Just drop me a line and I'll send the address and instructions how to get here. If you're going to the Painted Church, City of Refuge, Two-Step Beach or hiking the Captain Cook trail, you're going to pass by the farm anyway.

I'm clearing land to build a tasting room. But I don't expect to have new buildings until the end of the year (or early next year).

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How do you get RCI discount? Do I qualify as a week owner?
You do. Go to: Book (at the top of the page)> Car Rental

Best prices for me that I have found. I used to book with SFX, but their prices went way up. Used to be the same price as RCI.

I forgot about RCI for the longest time. There is an amount you have to pay at the counter, which you will see on your rental. In Hawaii, taxes were up over the price quoted, so we paid about $8.00 more per day at the counter than we thought. You do have to pay in advance.

uop1497

Reaction score
To update:

We don't have a car rental on this trip. Grand Wailea resort does not have a shuttle service, but we are able to use the driver service ( request thru valet desk) to go to The Shop of Wailea , Island Gourmet markets and Monkeypod a few times during our trip.

GW resort is very beautiful, but noisy due to construction works. Our room is dated and clean. It has a nice view of Chapel Garden and ocean.

Taxi cost from Kahului Airport to Hotel is around $60+ tip and vice versa. Our flight with Southwest ( both ways) are O.K. And this time, we have all of our checked luggage after landing, without any problem.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
To update:

We don't have a car rental on this trip. Grand Wailea resort does not have a shuttle service, but we are able to use the driver service ( request thru valet desk) to go to The Shop of Wailea , Island Gourmet markets and Monkeypod a few times during our trip.

GW resort is very beautiful, but noisy due to construction works. Our room is dated and clean. It has a nice view of Chapel Garden and ocean.

Taxi cost from Kahului Airport to Hotel is around $60+ tip and vice versa. Our flight with Southwest ( both ways) are O.K. And this time, we have all of our checked luggage after landing, without any problem.
Were you able to get into Monkeypod? When we were there just a few weeks ago they had no reservations available for lunch or dinner. There were lots of people waiting outside every time we went by there.

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
Were you able to get into Monkeypod? When we were there just a few weeks ago they had no reservations available for lunch or dinner. There were lots of people waiting outside every time we went by there.
We were there mid March and went for happy hour. Got there about 4:30 and waited 20 minutes for a table. Our waiter told us as long as we sat down by 5 we could have happy hour prices.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We were there mid March and went for happy hour. Got there about 4:30 and waited 20 minutes for a table. Our waiter told us as long as we sat down by 5 we could have happy hour prices.
We've been there many times so we were okay missing it this trip. When we've gone in the past we've never waited for a table and we were always able to get a table outside. This was at lunch time.

uop1497

Reaction score
We wait for a table, around 20-30 minutes

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If anyone has a pending car rental for Maui I would check it again. Via Autoslash who found Priceline who offered Dollar and we saved $430 on a premium car for 19 days in July. Originally was looking at the choice of $2400 via Costco or going with a older model rental via a local company for $1300. I was going to do the older model rental but someone mentioned Autoslash this morning so I checked that and found a better, bigger car for $1342. Even today Costco was still at $1775 so Autoslash came through.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If anyone has a pending car rental for Maui I would check it again. Via Autoslash who found Priceline who offered Dollar and we saved $430 on a premium car for 19 days in July. Originally was looking at the choice of $2400 via Costco or going with a older model rental via a local company for $1300. I was going to do the older model rental but someone mentioned Autoslash this morning so I checked that and found a better, bigger car for $1342. Even today Costco was still at $1775 so Autoslash came through.
That's great. Do you have an RCI account? It's a good comparison.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Using Avis with my Avis account I see a Standard Jetta for $32 a day for Maui in mid Jan 2023. $448 for two weeks.

Bill

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Using Avis with my Avis account I see a Standard Jetta for $32 a day for Maui in mid Jan 2023. $448 for two weeks.

Bill
Great deal. Our six weeks on Maui for Feb-March is $3,000 on Costco at Avis. :rolleyes:

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
I would avoid Avis..Budget and Payless like the plague…read the nightmarish reviews on yelp,picking up a car in HNL and OGG…their prices are much cheaper for a reason.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I would avoid Avis..Budget and Payless like the plague…read the nightmarish reviews on yelp,picking up a car in HNL and OGG…their prices are much cheaper for a reason.
Since my husband is the one who picks up the rental car, he's the one who has to deal with any kind of wait. We rented with Avis on our trip to Maui in March. Price was MUCH less than anywhere else. Unfortunately my Avis Preferred number didn't get attached to the rental since he was the one picking it up. If it had, there would have been no wait. He complained a bit about the wait, but in reality he was back to pick me, and the luggage up, pretty quickly.

P.S. I don't trust Yelp reviews.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I would avoid Avis..Budget and Payless like the plague…read the nightmarish reviews on picking up a car in HNL and OGG…their prices are much cheaper for a reason.

My experience is with using my Avis Preferred account I don't even have to enter the office at some locations. There is sometimes an Avis Preferred booth that gives you the paperwork in the car area making the pick up very fast.

Bill

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe

Bill

Thanks for the tip. I just went online and reserved an intermediate car on Maui for mid- December at $244 for a week! I had a reservation via Costco travel for $750. I don’t understand how it happened, but I’ll take it.

Best regards.

Mike